• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
elbasto said:
well, it seems to me that you have quite an advanced naval tech tree

I havent researched a lot of navel tecs really. I have been making some progress in the Submarine three though and I have researched some naval doctrines. What really won the battle for me were my bombers. Despite heavy loses they were the ones to do the most damage to the British ships.

Ghost_dk

February, 1940​

Invasion of Norway
Bad weather conditions and constand allied naval patrols along the Norwegian coast has delayed the planed invasion of norway and forced the O.K.W. to go with a combined invasion on Oslo and conquest of Norway from the south. This will take longer then planed and the forces involved may not be able to participate in the attack on Holland and Belgium.

February 11th, 1940

German Marine and Gebirgs infaterie land in the fjord of Oslo. Under heavy fire they manage to secure a beachhead and gradually expand their zone of control. III. Armekorps lands shortly after and makes a push for the city itself. Meanwhile the I. MarineKorps and I. GegirgsKorps attempt to move around the city. I. GebirgsKorps towards Hamar and I. MarineKorps towards Kristiansand. Afraid of being surrounded and while taking heavy casualties the Norwegian defenders abandon the capital and by 16.00 the city has fallen.

February 17th, 1940

Scouts from the 6. Gebirgs division enter the city of Hamar only to discover that the enemy is still routed and moving at march speed right ahead of them. The mountain divisions continue to the North while the Marine infantry moves towards Bergen.

norway.jpg

February 20th, 1940

III. ArmeeKorps captures the city of Kristiansand and five days later Stavanger. The German forces are driving the defenders ahead of themselves and it appears that the Norwegian troops have almost completely lost their will to fight.

February 28, 1940

Disaster approaching. I. GebirgsKorps has moved straight into an ambush south of the city of Röros. Despite heavily outnumbering the Norwegian troops casualties are mounting at an alarming rate. Norwegian infantry under Lt.General Steffens have dug in and prepared for the arrival of the German troops for nearly a week and from their fortified possition they are repelling attempt after attempt by the Germans to escape the trap.

75gun01_in_actionnorway.jpg

All available Luftwaffe units have been set in to relieve the troops but three days later the Germans are still tied up and casualties are staggering. 11600 German soldiers are either killed, wounded or taken prisoner and the situation is getting more and more desperate by the hour for General Dietl and his men.

Very nice account of the battle. Do keep fighting. You know, when you see AAR's where everything is rosy and cosy for the writer, something foul has happened...

Deffinitely not here.

I see things are going on schedule... (historically, that is!)

Keravnos: Thank you, I take hourly measures of the losses to keep as accurate as possible, and dont worry, I'll stick with it. Those Norwegians wont get me that easy. It will be a struggle though to survive until reinforcements arrive.

Semi-Lobster: I had a feeling that would be to your liking. Im still far from anything resembling control in the North sea/Baltic area so expect more from that front. Ive just laid the keel for another battleship, 2 cruisers and 2 destroyer groups, their going to get a fight from me if they want to keep me of that pathetick little island of theirs ;)

Ghost_dk

Thats the attitude I like to hear! More ships! bahahaha!!!!! :wacko: oops, I kinda get carried away when it comes to battleships! And good job against the Brits (even though you're aided by a brain-dead AI!), you sank 10 capital ships and a destroyer flotilla to a loss of two of your own! I'm sure Raeder is a very happy man in your AAR!

Semi-Lobster said:
Thats the attitude I like to hear! More ships! bahahaha!!!!! :wacko: oops, I kinda get carried away when it comes to battleships! And good job against the Brits (even though you're aided by a brain-dead AI!), you sank 10 capital ships and a destroyer flotilla to a loss of two of your own! I'm sure Raeder is a very happy man in your AAR!

Haha...yes I would like more ships too. Historically Germany's Navy was quite small...maybe throw in some more cruisers/battleships yea?

Btw, excellent, excellent AAR. I feel like I'm playing Hoi again only this time I can sleep :D

Oh and one question, I know historically this won't happen to next year, but will you attack Russia a.k.a. Plan Barbarossa, or will you wait? Just curious, but you don't have to answer if you wish for the suspense...I'm on the edge of my seat :p

P.S. Keep Up the Good Work!!!

MacMan: Welcome to the AAR and thank you. Your probably getting all that sleep that i ought to get, but this forum is keeping me Bizy Bizy Bizy. Regarding barbarossa. Im really not sure yet. I'm playing as i write so no long term plan on that front yet. Besides as you will see there will be a lot of posts covering the next year so its a long time away.

Vigilantsldr: thanx again and you right those Norwegians are keeping me on my toes. More on that in the next posts where i will give an indept report on the battle of Røros from both sides perspective.

Ghost_dk

Last edited:
The Battle of Røros

Norwegian Perspective:

Prelude:

Ever since being forced by the H.O.K.(Norwegian high command) to abandon Oslo, Lt.General Steffens and his infanty division had been on forced march north towards Hamar. He was fortunate though that his division had been the one to suffer the fewest losses when the German navy had unleashed its barrage on Olso. Passing through Hamar rearguard scouts reported that the German I. GebirgsKorps had taken persuit and were moving in his direction. Steffens soon realised that the terrain around Hamar left him few options for a valid defense and he opted to continue marching north toward Røros where his options vere slightly improved. While he had only limited knowledge of the German unit structure he knew that his infantry units would stand a better chance and be fighting on more equal terms if he managed to dig into the hils and mountains to the north. He also realised that the German troops consisting of mountain troops would not have a much support from armor verhicles which was to his advantage since he lost one of his two 7.5cm AT guns in the retreat.

On the 19th they reached Østerdalen and met up with 2. pioneer brigade moving south from Narvik to mine roads and bridges in the area. A plan was forming in his head as to how he could set an ambush for the germans. The only way the Germans could reach Røros was by the main road through Alvdal and Os. Knowing that the Germans would be checking the bridges accross the Glomma for traps and sabortage the pioneer brigade, together with a battalion of infrantry was to hole up in the large mining complexes north of Alvdal while the rest of the division would take positions further north of the town on the west bank of the river. Recent snow and rainfall had filled the river to its maximum capacity and once the Germans had crossed the engineers and infantry would sieze the bridge, cross the river and blow the bridge up effectively capturing them between the river and the Norwgian positions. One Brigade would hold the pass west towards Folldal while the remaining infantry battalions and most of the artillery and support units would cover the north flank.

Rorosnorway.jpg

Edit: German prelude tomorrow morning

Last edited:
German Perspective

Prelude:

Following the very successfull landing east of Oslo, Dietl's korps had made very good progress. He had recieve orders from O.K.W. to advance north towards Narvik along the Swedish border and secure the area in case of allied landings further to the north. Securing the eastern railroad lines was of up most improtence as it was essential that the flow of steel and ore from Sweden could be resumed. His four divisions of Gebirgsjäger would ensure that this would happen as soon as possible. O.K.W. intelligence reports indicated that the Norwegian troops ill equiped, lacking both small and large artillery pieces as well as sufficient transportation for the troops This together with the poor state of training of the Norwegian infantry would ensure a swift German victory.

liftnorway.jpg

On his way to Hamar his scouts reported contact with rearguard units of a routed Norwegian infantry division, and Dietl was determined to catch up with this force and elliminate it once and for all. The forced march in the unfriendly terrain had begun to take its toal on the German supplie lines. Roads had been mined by the retreating Norwgian forces and supply trucks had stalled their advance due to the heavy rain flooding valley roads. Despite his wish to continue he Was forced to stop and allow them to catch up in Hamar.

mountn.jpg

Two days later his convoy rolled north again and well aware that the Norwegians had now gained a good lead ahead of him he allowed some of the heavier equipment to fall somewhat behind the main force.

Great updates. We'll see if Dietl will be successful...

Norwegian Perspective:

The trap springs:

at 21:00 hours a communication officer entered the small hunters cabin now serving as the Norwegian headquarters to report that the first German units had begun crossing the bridge at Alvdal. Steffens was nervous, a slight mistake by his men and their cover would be broken and all hell would break loose upon them. He thanked the officer and dismissed him. He went back and studied the layout of the minefields and artillery cover ranges displayed on the map. They looked ok, but he was worried that they haddent managed to get enough mines deployed or that he might have overlooked something in his plan. He was tired and the last week of planning manifested itself in the sacsk underneath his eyes. While telling his men to use every opportunity to replenish he had personally inspected and talked to every unit on the line, speaking of courage and duty and tried to boost morale as much as possible. The next hours would show if it had been enough or if it had all been in vain. All through the night the German convoy continued to roll across the bridge and by 04:00 steffens was awakened and told that the German troops on the east bank were now down to the rearguard and supply personell. He went to the radio post and called up Oberst Hiort on the other side of the river. "It is time. Give it all you have and whatever happens make sure that no germans are allowed back across that bridge." Few minutes later the first shots could be heard through the fresh morning breeze.

Oberst Hiort ordered his men to move out. His scouts gave directions as the first 81mm mortar shells hit the ground in from of the bridge and set a German Jeep on fire. The Germans would react soon and he knew that he had little time to waste. One Geværskompagni and three machine guns were brought in defensive position to take out any guard units that might have been left behind in Alvdal.

Colt_mitraljos_m.jpg

They would be the first ones to reacht to the sound of battle. The rest of his men and the pioneeres would assault the bridge. A German machinegunner opened fire upon the advancing troops from his position on top of the SdKfz parked next to the temporary guard installation that had been erected on this side of the bridge during the night. He managed to cut down three of Hiorts men before a sniper could take him out. Another morter round hit the schack and turned it into a burning pile of wood. A trupp of germans began laying fire from across the road and Hiort sent a unit around the left to outflank them while responding with machinegun fire. Meanwhile the pioneers and 400 of his troops began crossing the bridge. The Germans were taken by surprise and the guards on the other side were quickly disposed of. Four German trucks were seen heading out of Alvdal towards the bridge and Hiort could see his Colt machineguns opening fire upon them in the distance. He pressed for an assault on the German troops and managed to take out their position but at the cost of another 4 men and 3 wounded. He cursed himself for this as they would need every man available to hold in the Germans once the bridge had been blown. He signaled for his forward position to begin retreating towards the bridge and as the first ones arrived the engineers had finished wiring it with explosives. One machinegun and 9 dead men had been lost to the Germans advancing from Alvdal and as soon as the last men had crossed the bridge he ordered it destroyed.

Last edited:
German Perspective:

First blow:

Dietl was asleep in his tent when the sound of explosions pulled him back into the cold Norwegian reality. He rushed out and headed for the communications post.

odd3.jpg

"It is the Norwegians Hr. General. They have blown up the bridge at Alvdal," a radio operator reported. Shortly after a German motorcycle attache pulled into camp and handed him a note. Scouts from the 3. Gebirgsdivsion had encountered Norwegian troops on their way to Tynset and were forced to pull back. Damn it, he thought to himself. If the Norwegians had decided to make a stand here his men would become sitting ducks in the valley at first dawn. With the Østerdalen flooded their only way out would be straight through the Norwegian lines. How could he have been so stupid? Most of the artillery pieces were over a days travel behind on the other side of the river and would be of no help to him. Scouts were dispatched to locate the lines and by dawn another dissaster struck. It started as small flakes but soon turned into a regular snowshower. There would be no aircover as well for German troops. Unless he somehow managed to save the situation, Hitler would have his hide for bringing himself and the men in such a dreadfull situation.

Scouts returned and reported that norwegian troops were holed up on all sides of the valley and troops had encountered large minefields as well so any advance would be difficult to say the least. When Dietl recieved the first casualty reports at noon he nearly lost it. More then 700 men had fallen within the first hours of combat, and in many places the troops were pinned down and unable to maneuvre.

takecov2.jpg

Dietl Ordered a full assault on the road to Røros by the 2. and 3. division. If the town of Os could be taken he would be able to get reinforcement and artillery in through the rail road there, as well as the possibility to outflank the Norwegians. He was confident that although they had taken a hard first blow, his divisions would prevail against the inferior Norwegian soldiers.

Exciting reading, and your precise storytelling tells us why the invasion of Norway allways takes longer time than bringing Poland to its knees.

And yet another great AAR from HoI Land. A worthy Weekly Showcase, indeed. Congrats, Ghost_dk. :cool:

Wow

Thank you moderators for this great honAAR.

I really had'nt thought my first AAR would make it to this. All of my fellow AAR writers know that it takes quite some time to gather and assemble all the information needed to put together a AAR, but to get your work recognized like this really makes it all more then worth it.

I would like to give thanks all of those who take time away to notice and comment my work and to all the lurkers who give me small pleasent heartattacks every time the thread jumps another 100 views. Even if it had not been so it still gives me great pleasure to put words to my experiences with this amazing game which brings up new surprises with every new start.

Only one thing saddens me. Namely that I have not been able to find the time to do as much writing on the sub AAR to this one as I would like to. I guess, I have come to realize that it takes a lot more work to develop an advancing character then I first thought and my admiration for those who do it soo well has grown even more so with this experience. I have however not abandoned it, merely put it on hold while i find a line to follow in the story so that it can progress in the way that I would like it to do. I suspect I will need to play a little further ahead in the game before i find the right path to follow.

I hope you will bear with me in this and that you will continue to enjoy what i write.

Ghost_dk