• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

richvh

Preserver of the Light
62 Badges
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
(This is an AAR as the Roman Empire in the Mongolian Empire scenario (0.23 beta with 1.07 Feb. 7 beta ) I hope you enjoy it.)

Part the First, in which War is made on the pagan Petchenegs and the Normans of Sicily

My name is unimportant. I’m just a Roman bureaucrat in this, the Year of Our Lord 1150, just one more in a long line reaching back, to before Constantine I founded his new capital on the site of ancient Byzantium, before Gaius Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon, indeed before Brutus overthrew the Tarquin kings. Remove me, and ten thousand more are ready to take my place.

I was hired in January, 1150, when His Imperial Majesty, Manuel, Emperor of the Romans, etc., etc., decreed an increase in the Imperial Service.(1) My first task was to arrange for the feast commemorating the new alliance with Wallachia and the vassal states of Serbia and Zeta. Shortly afterwards, I was summoned into the Imperial presence. “It is Our will that Trabzond remain part of Our realm in five years time. See to it that this is published throughout our Empire. After We celebrate Our marriage to the sister-in-law of Our good friend, Conrad, King of the Germans(2), We are leaving for Dobrudja, to make war on the Petchenegs. Their presence on Our borders offends Us.”

After the emperor left with the army, Coutess Beatrice of Edessa visited the palace. “My husband the Count is in the hands of the Infidel Ayyubids, who have also overrun our lands. If the Emperor would be so kind as to provide the funds needed for the ransom, I will sign over to him our claim to the county.” I sent off a query to His Majesty, with the notation that due to the state of the treasury, we would need to take a loan. It came back marked “Approved.”(3)

The Emperor was back before Christmas. “We have decided to allow the Petchenegs to continue their miserable existence after they ceded their claims to Crimea, Bujak and Moldova to Us. The continued raiding of Our realm by the Norman kings of the Two Sicilies offends us. After We put down the latest unrest in Corfu, We intend to punish them.”(4,5)

Well, it took him a while to chase the last rebel out of the mountains of Corfu, but in December of 1152 he was ready, and I sent the declaration of war he’d previously had prepared to King Roger in Palermo. The schismatic in Rome foolishly decided to support his Norman ally, while our allies supported us – Zeta eagerly, Serbia and Wallachia with some reluctance. This war took a while longer, but in September of 1055 the Pope surrendered most of his so-called Donation of Constantine to Constantine’s true heir, and by the end of 1056 the King of Sicily had his realm reduced to the western half of that island plus the tiny island of Malta.(6)

(1) Increased centralization
(2) Event: The Two Emperors
(3) Event: Emperor Manuel and the Countess Beatrice
(4) Event: The struggle for Southern Italy
(5) Event: A revolt!
(6) Papal States surrenders Marche, Romagna & 55d; Sicily surrenders Napoli, Apulia & Messina.

Last edited:
And good luck to you sir!

Seems to me that Mongolian scenario is here to stay.

Having played a bit myself that scenario, you are now playing, well, be REALLY mindful of the Hungarians. I didn't have a problem with the Turks, and I did with them.

Very good opening war. Time to reclaim Mare Nostrum most definitely.

Part the Second, in which War in made on the Turks

While Emperor Manuel was warring on the Petchenegs and Italians, truly amazing things were happening in the Holy Land. The King of Jerusalem went to war with the Fatimids of Egypt in October of 1150, joined by the Count of Tripoli the next July. Despite numerous revolts in the king's home provinces of Judea and Samaria, they captured Sinai in January 1152, Egypt in October 1152, Nile in May 1153, Alexandria in June 1154, Nubia in November 1154, and the Fatimid capital in Nile province in June 1154, taking Alexandria, Delta, Nubia, Nile and Sinai in the peace settlement.

In February 1155, I met with the Emperor during his siege of Romagna to report that we had successful kept Trabzond in the empire. "We are pleased. It is Our will that Zeta be annexed to Our realm within the next 5 years." "But, Your Majesty, is this possible? They are your vassal and ally, and have been your vassal for but 5 years." "Nonetheless, that is Our will. Let it be so recorded."

In January 1157, a great many bishops met in Nicaea to debate the nature of the Holy Spirit. The Emperor summoned me into his presence. "It is Our will that the view of Bishop Josephus prevail." "What is Bishop Josephus' view, Sire?" "We know not, and care less. As long as they submit to Our will, it is sufficient." "The factions may riot." "If they do, Our legions will deal with them." "Very well, my liege."

In March 1157, the Rum Seljuks raided Anatolia, Smyrna and Antalya. "Enough! As soon as We put down the rebellion in Corfu, Anatolia, Smyrna and Antalya, it is Our will that the Rum Seljuks learn their place!" Thus it was that in December 1158, after all preparations were complete, that a declaration of war was sent to the Rum Seljuks. The allies were summoned, and Zeta, Serbia and Georgia answered willingly, and Wallachia with some reluctance. The Ayubbids, who had been at war with the County of Tripoli since February, answered the Rum Seljuks call to war, as did Danishmends and Azerbaijan.

In January 1159 Emperor Manuel appointed his chief general as his co-emperor.(1) In June the County of Tripoli was absorbed into the Ayubbid realm. In May of 1161 the Duchy of Antioch declared war on the Ayubbids, who were supported only by Danishmends. In August 1162 the Ayubbids ceded Lebanon and Nuyssaybin to the Empire; in September Danishmends ceded Armenia to Georgia and became their vassal, and the Rum Seljuks ceded Taurus, Sivas and Angora, and in November 1162 the Danishmends capital of Kurdistan was added to the Empire. In March of 1164 the Ayubbids ceded Jordan to Antioch and became their vassal.

(1) Let's Appoint a Warmonger in Appointing Co-emperor. +30 revolt risk for 2 months, +3 to military skill for 36 months.

Last edited:
RomanEurope1163.jpg

Europe, 1163

Job well done and look at those Hungarians! Makes we want to punish them even more now.

Just A week ago I also downloaded the new Mongolian scenario and since then I bored my girlfriend with some heafty hours of time behind my computer, this scenario is truelly very nice (at the moment I am playing the Mongols themselves, it is fun!!))

But I have looked at the Roman empire and they drew my attention for a second game, I enjoyed your AAR so far.

Next; in 1159 you appoint a warmonger co-empreror, why o why o why. of the 9 years playing time you have already some 7 or 8 years of war behind the belt. You are already a wrmonger if you continue in this manner you will reach your BadBoy far to soon.

And a little question: what was this bishop stuff.

richvh said:
While Emperor Manuel was warring on the Petchenegs and Italians, truly amazing things were happening in the Holy Land. The King of Jerusalem went to war with the Fatimids of Egypt in October of 1150, joined by the Count of Tripoli the next July. Despite numerous revolts in the king's home provinces of Judea and Samaria, they captured Sinai in January 1152, Egypt in October 1152, Nile in May 1153, Alexandria in June 1154, Nubia in November 1154, and the Fatimid capital in Nile province in June 1154, taking Alexandria, Delta, Nubia, Nile and Sinai in the peace settlement.

Go Crusaders! They'll never hold those detached Egyptian provinces, but the Holy Empire of Jerusalem is cool.

richvh said:
In January 1157, a great many bishops met in Nicaea to debate the nature of the Holy Spirit. The Emperor summoned me into his presence. "It is Our will that the view of Bishop Josephus prevail." "What is Bishop Josephus' view, Sire?" "We know not, and care less. As long as they submit to Our will, it is sufficient." "The factions may riot." "If they do, Our legions will deal with them." "Very well, my liege."

:) The pragmatic approach, I see.

I like this AAR - it's well written and fast-moving with a nice undertone of humour. And the gameplay isn't too shabby either.
Ave Caesar!

Oh good, another MES AAR. Suscribed!!

Singleton Mosby said:
Next; in 1159 you appoint a warmonger co-empreror, why o why o why. of the 9 years playing time you have already some 7 or 8 years of war behind the belt. You are already a wrmonger if you continue in this manner you will reach your BadBoy far to soon.
I was in the middle of a war, increasing my military ability seemed like a good idea at the time.
And a little question: what was this bishop stuff.
Event: A Theological Debate. Choice A: Let them debate, Choice B: Support one side.

Van Engel said:
So what are you planning? A completely Roman Europe and North Africa?
I hope so!
Well, recreating the empire of Trajan would be nice, but might be too ambitious.

You BB must be going up and up and up though. Still, good going.

stnylan said:
You BB must be going up and up and up though. Still, good going.
18.6 out of 25 at that point. The Sicilian and Turkish wars were just wars, only the initial Petcheneg war was not. The next war is a badboy war, but I'm not the badboy in question.

Singleton Mosby said:
So whom is?
You'll see in the next installment.

Part the Third, in which Hungary wars on the Empire and regrets it.

In March 1160 I met with the Emperor while he was on campaign in Kastamonu. "It has been five years, and We are disappointed that We have not annexed Zeta." "Unfortunately, we are at war, and their minister just tells me 'Maybe after the war is over; we can't even consider it now.'" "We are not amused. Very well, let it be known that it is Our will that Sivas be added to our realm within five years." "I think you're well on your way to doing that, Sire."

During the siege of Jordan in March 1162, I was summoned to meet the Emperor. "We hear that King Geza of Hungary has died." "Yes, Your Majesty." "Very well, inform the new king that it is Our wish to reclaim Our empire's former provinces." "It shall be done, Sire."

I traveled to Lebanon to meet with Emperor Manuel again in April 1163. "Your Majesty, the minister of Zeta says that they greatly appreciate the 12 foot statue of You, which has greatly increased tourism, but that they still can't see their way clear to joining the Empire." "They will see the light in time. Meanwhile, the bishops are meeting in Nicomedia to debate the nature of the Son. It is Our will that the view of Bishop Ioannes prevail." "Sire, in the last debate, you favored Bishop Josephus." "He has gotten a swelled head and needs to be taken down a peg." "The factions will riot again in the City, Your Majesty." "The factions riot whenever they like not the result of a chariot race. Have We not legions to deal with them? Let Our will be done." "Very well, Your Majesty."

I returned to Lebanon in January of 1164. "Sire, I do not think the Hungarian king was happy with Your claim on their provinces. They have declared war on us." "Ha! They shall regret this, for is not all Europe unhappy with them after their annexation of Halich, Chernigov and Volhyna? Summon Our allies, the Magyars shall see how war is waged by a true Roman!" And so it was that Serbia, Zeta, Wallachia, and with some reluctance Georgia, marched to war with the Romans against the vile Hungarians. (Georgia was still at war with Azerbaijan and Rum Seljuks, gaining the province of Azerbaijan and the vassalage of the Azerbaijanis in November 1165, and signing a white peace with the Rum Seljuks in 1171.)

Seeing the humiliation of the Hungarians, Bohemia declared war against them in March 1166, with the support of the Germans, Italians and Saxons, followed by Pereslavl (with support of Novgorod-Severski and Pinsk-Turov) in April, and by Austria in January 1167. In February 1168, Hungary ceded Carpathia to Bohemia. In December, Hungary allied with Lithuania, which got them involved in two more ongoing wars against Ests and Masovia. In May 1169, Hungary made a cash settlement with Pinsk-Turov, and in September they ceded Banat to Wallachia and Ruthenia and Galizien to the Empire. In June 1170, the Ests war ended with an agreement to return to the status quo ante, and in January 1171 Pereslavl settled for a cash payment, Masovia agreed to a white peace in June 1171, and finally in February 1175 Austria made a cash payment to end their war with Hungary and Lithuania (after Hungary had left their alliance in 1173 over a war with Norway, only to welcome Lithuania back into their alliance.)

Last edited:
The Hungarians really got themselves into the thick of things didn't they?

stnylan said:
The Hungarians really got themselves into the thick of things didn't they?
They were just slightly over their badboy limit. :D

Part the Fourth, in which Serbia wars upon Bosnia

In April of 1165 I met with the Emperor in his camp in Ruthenia, where the Varangian Guard was regrouping before marching into Transylvania. "We are pleased that We have conquered Sivas. It is Our will that We conquer Firenze within the next five years." "But Sire, you are busy fighting the Magyars now, and the Florentines have given us no reason to attack them. Would it not be wiser to choose a Hungarian province to conquer?" "Nonetheless, that is Our will. Let it be so recorded."

I was summoned to the palace in May of 1170. "We are most displeased that We have not conquered Firenze." "Well, Your Majesty, you were just a little busy with the Hungarians for most of the last five years." "Still, We are most displeased. It is Our will that We shall conclude an alliance with the Ethiopes within the next five years." "But Sire, what common interest do we have with them? We share no border with them, border no common enemies, and they are Monophysites, little better than the schismatics in Rome." "Still, that is Our will. Let it be so recorded."

In January 1171 I met with the Emperor. "Sire, there has been a great scandal, and the people are rioting against the Venetians merchants. What shall we do? Shall we confiscate their goods, pleasing the crowds, or protect them?" "It is Our will that no harm come to the merchants. Call out the Guard and put down the riots."

In August the Emperor came to my office. "Who is the best administrator among Our governors?" "Sire, that would be Nikolai, governor of Macedonia." "Very well, summon him to the Palace. It is Our will that he join Us as Our co-Emperor."

I returned to the Palace in November. "Sire, the Serbs have declared war on the heretics of Bosnia. Wallachia, Zeta and Georgia have all left our alliance over this war." "It has been boring the past two years. Let Us support Our vassals and allies, and summon Wallachia, Zeta and Georgia back to Our alliance." "Sire, Wallachia and Georgia are willing, but Zeta has a poor opinion of us right now." "We shall not need their assistance in this war, but see that they return to the fold soon." "Very well, my Liege."

Back to the Palace in December. "Your Majesty, the Ethiopes have allied with their neighbor, Mukkara." "We are not pleased that they did not join Our alliance. It is Our will that We conquer Kerch within the next five years."

Serbia annexed Bosnia in November 1172. Zeta would not rejoin the alliance until 1176.