• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For Harry and St George!

Very well done.

The War of the Roses
The War of the Roses Begins

March 3rd, 1455​
My dear cousin, Dierdre,
By now you have heard that the war in England is in full swing. The nobility are split into two sides: those who support the Duke of Lancaster and those who support the Duke of York for control of the English crown. Grave times for England, as our once prosperous country lies in anarchy and rebellion. The nobles who fight for the castles and wealth of England burn farms and villages loyal to opposing factions, which brings misery to the English peasantry. Famine has quickly turned into pleague, and England lies weak and vulnerable. The nation has chosen to support the policies of the Duke of York in this back-and-forth conflict. The Yorkists support a decrease in the role of the nobility in government, a reduction in serfdom, and the centralization of the nation. Their choices are supported by much of the middle class and will bring much long term revenues for the Kingdom. However, instability from these sweeping reforms and lack of adequate support from the nobility would mean massive cuts to the English armies in France and huge revolts back home in England. Warring armies and rebels have already looted much of southern England, which have damaged the English economy and stunted population growth. I will inform you more on the situation as it progresses. I am lucky that London has been uneffected by the fighting, so that you are and grandmother are safe. I will stay here in Portsmouth until December, where I will come to London myself. Do not worry about me, cousin, for I will sail to London sooner if the fighting reaches Portsmouth as well.
Sincerely,​
Your cousin, Simon.​

warroses.jpeg

The Duke of York's army on the march for their rightful place on the English throne!

Simon's letter to Dierdre

'The War of the Roses' Event; 'Yorkist Kings make the best policies' chosen.
- Army in France reduced by over 15,000 men due to this choice.
- Aristocracy decreased, Serfdom decreased, Centralization increased.
- Revoltrisk increased by 6 in all provinces in England, as well as Wales.
- Stability fell by 3 points to -3.
- No decrease in tax values in England proper (choosing the other two options would have decreased them).

'Pleague' Event happens to us.

No revolts to occur in Anglia whatsoever (even by the war's end Anglia would never revolt).

Last edited:
It'll be the presence of the capital that kept revolts out of Anglia I bet (-2 to RR iirc).

Yorkists are definitely the way to go.

jwolf said:
How long does the RR for the War of the Roses last? I hope your holdings, especially in France, don't revolt away in the meantime. Or that you fall prey to a nasty opportunistic group of vultures, ah, excuse me, Frenchmen.

The French provinces shouldn't revolt away, since the revolt risk is in English provinces. But the French as vultures could be a distinct possibility.

The revolt risk, IIRC, lasts until 1485. (ouch!)

The French provinces shouldn't revolt away, since the revolt risk is in English provinces. But the French as vultures could be a distinct possibility.

Yes, thats correct. The event only increases revoltrisks in England proper, including Wales. The French are actually far more peaceful, as all but two of my French provinces have been fully assimiliated and have no nationalism ratings at all. I can't wait till 1485 so that I can gain complete control of those frogs!

The one good part of The War of the Roses: It'll gimme time to reduce my BB rating :D

It'll be the presence of the capital that kept revolts out of Anglia I bet (-2 to RR iirc).

Yorkists are definitely the way to go.

Actually, Anglia had a -3 revoltrisk modifier with capital province and manufactury modifiers. I guess I never mentioned in my AAR that I constructed a Fine Arts Academy in Anglia between the Third and Fourth wars with France.

And, oh yeah, Yorkists are definately the way to go! For some rebellions over the course of 30 years and a big stability hit, in the long run you will cash in BIG by choosing their policies!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! :) I'll have the conclusion of the War of the Roses up by tomorrow or Thursday. I'll try to include all kinds of writting styles (and maybe another BBC report). :cool:

What has happened to the BBC? Were they banned by the Yorkists? :D And watch out for those Scots - they can be quite the vultures, too I believe...

Nice pictures, by the way - have a scroll back, folks, and check out the illustrations now added to earlier posts. ;)

Well wrote ARR. If you hadnt told us I dont think I would have guessed this was you first.

The War of the Roses
The Rise of the Yorkists 1455-1461

For years, King Henry VI, has been ruining England's good name to glorify his own image. The middle class of England, mostly composed of merchants, shopkeepers, and master craftsmen, have grown agry at the King's unfair policies towards them. The middle class' increased rights under Henry V had been reduced under Henry VI, and the decentralization of the government meant an increase in fuedalism and decrease in trade. Henry's poor skills as a King and his unwise decisions in supporting the 'treachurous' Burgundians have hampered English traders and created a nationalist upsurge in the newly acquired territories in France. It is time for the rightful King to take his place on the throne of England...

Edward IV, Duke of York, and rightful King of England now fights against Henry's armies for control of the throne. The English people have supported the Yorkists policies, which seem unpopular to much of the nobility, but are beneficial if England is to prosper and succeed in the future. Rebellions and Edward's armies hampered Henry's thinning forces. So it was inevitable that in 1461, six years after the War of the Roses had begun, that Edward IV take his rightful place as monarch of England. Even with Edward on the throne the war was no nowhere near over...

BBC News, 1470

"Hello, and welcome to another edition of BBC News. I'm your host Geoffrey Badgerton," said Geoff, the newsanchor with a typical English smile (which meant it included crooked, yellow teeth). "The War of the Roses reaches its most crucial stage currently. The King has just been deposed!"

"So lets all give a big hooray to our new King, Edward the Fourth! I'm so relieved we're not living under the yoke of that horrible Henry the Sixth anymore. Such a dreadful fellow, and dumb as a Welshman from what I've heard! Remember that temporary spot of insanity he had a while back, well Henry was already so blockheaded that no-one could tell the difference!" said Maddy with her big yellow-toothed smile.

"Actually, Maddy," Geoff whispered quietly. "Henry was deposed back in '61 by Eddie and the Yorkists. He's just been reinstated as King now."

"Re-re... reinstated as King you say? How nice. Let's all give a great cheer to our reinstated, and most beloved King Henry the Sixth!" said the floundering Maddy.

"Nice save there, luv!" said No-Eyed Oliver, who now apparently had a peg-leg. "Prophets in the Italian city of Milan fortell a horrible apocalypse to end the world in -"

"Oliver, what's with your peg-leg?" asked Geoff.

"Here we go again, always wiff' the questions. If you must know, I lost it to a crossbowmen at the Battle of Bostworth Field," answered Oliver, proudly.

"Really, which side were you fighting on?" asked Geoff.

"Which ever side is currently in power," smiled Oliver.

"The Lancasters," said Maddy, smiling.

"Yes, that's the ones! Good old Land-castles!" Oliver said.

"Yes, lets all give a cheer to the Lan-" Maddy said, smiling again, as she was interupted.

"Wait a minute! The Battle of Botsworth Field occurs in 1485! And its only 1470! What are you tryin' to pull here Oliver?" asked Geoff, suspicially.

"A'right, a'right! I lost in a gentleman's duel over the hand of a fair maiden," answered Oliver, in a soft voice.

"You told me it was over the leg of a roasted pig," smiled Maddy.

"And you should have seen that leg, too! Best piece o' meat I ever ate! Course, the bloke got mad 'coz I cheated and used a crossbow in the duel. So, like a sore loser, with his last ounce of strength before he died, he ripped of me leg," said Oliver.

"How do you even get yourself into such messes? No - please don't answer that. Anyways then, I'm Geoffrey Badgerton, and this has been another edition of BBC News. Goodnight."

The BBC has such unbiased reporting. Now I know where the Yellow Press got their start! Nice job.

Oh, in case I forgot---

Go Henry

And in case the Yorkies come back into power --

Go Eddie

All Hail King Whichever-One-It-Is-This-Week!

I see the BBC, in true meeja style, is far more interested in itself than the events it's reporting.

Hey, that's an idea.... Do you think the BBC could do a Big Brother special to choose the next King? ;)

merrick said:
Hey, that's an idea.... Do you think the BBC could do a Big Brother special to choose the next King? ;)

Wrong Channel, but I'm sure they could do a series of the Best 20 British Monarchs or something similar ... ;)

The War of the Roses
The Removal of Henry the Sixth (and the Reinstatement of Edward the Fourth)

BBC News, 1471

"Hello, I'm Geoffrey Badgerton and this is BBC News. Late-breaking news as King Henry the Sixth and the Lancas-" Geoffrey said as he was interrupted by Maddy.

"Yes, our wonderful and most humble King! You know I was saying to myself the other day, isn't our King the most wonderful and most humble King in all of Christendo-" Maddy said as Geoff interrupted her.

"As I was saying..." Geoff firmly said, trying to stop Maddy's ramblings. "King Henry the Sixth and the Lancasters have been removed from power by Richard the Fourth and the Yorkists. And so ends their brief one year return to power. Umm, Maddy you were saying?"

"...I...I...I..." Maddy stalled. "As I was saying-Yes! Yes, that's right! I was saying, our most wonderful and humble King... whom, by the way, is Richard the Fourth - and not that dastardly Henry the Sixth - has taken back his rightful place on the throne of the greatest nation in Christendom... and the world! And - and! ... and... He should be made a saint by the Pope! Yes! And umm... We should rename London to... Richie's World! Yes, and everyday we should wake up at dawn and recite the the national anthem of England - which of course, should be 'Good King Richard!'"

"Good King Richard you say, Maddy," asked No-eyed Oliver, who was known to some as Peg-Legged Oliver. "Why, I've never heard that song before? Who wrote it? Care to sing a verse? Is it a song or a ballad? Do you need any instruments to play it?"

"STOP! I mean, that's the name of the writter. His name is Stop West... Chaster... ton - wilderfield..." Maddy went on. "or like that."

"Stop Westchastertonwilderfield, you say. Sounds like a wondeful bloke. Sing the song will you?" Oliver said, giving a crooked smile of pure delight.

"Sure I will. Ri-ri... Richa-Good King Richard! England's greatest King! Here's the song I'll sing... ding-a-ling... something, something. He's just so great that whenever he touches dirt, it turns to gold... lalalalala - something, something, silken shirt! His grace and wonder even reaches heathens and the Welsh... that's why we call him so wonderful and lalalala Martin Felsh-"

"Sorry Maddy, did you say Martin Felsh?" asked Oliver with much glee.

"Yes... He's my - um... local fur trapper?" Maddy said improvising.

"Local fur trapper? Don't you live in the middle of London?" asked Oliver finding even more pleasure in Maddy's web of excuses.

"Yes, well. You should see the size of some o' those raccoons. Don't give me that look Oliver. Raccoons make very good hats. Why I'll bet you some four hundred years from now some far away explorer from across the sea will be wearing a hat made by the garbage-eating raccoons of London!" Maddy stated proudly.

"I'm sorry, Maddy. I didn't hear a word of what you said. Your mouth was a bit too close to King Edward's hindquarters." Geoff said, grinning.

[Houts and hollers began sounding, similar to that of a FOX television show.]

"Anyways, prior to King Henry's being deposed, the King gave into more demands by the cities to increase their powers. Looks like he will set the trend of all world leaders by finding ways to ruin a country, no matter how short the reign," said Peg-Legged Oliver, who for the first time was talking about something other than sports, Maddy's problems, or one of his lost body parts. "King Edward and his armies have been out on the field almost as soon as they returned to power, flushing out any rebels still loyal to Henry's old regime. Several rebels have managed to defeat English armies on certain occasions, but Edward's personally commanded counterattacks have really made their mark."

"Yes, yes. Well said Oliver," Geoff said.

Geoff, Maddy, and Oliver all just kept silent.

"Anything else, Geoff?" asked Oliver.

"No, not really. Right now, we have some time scheduled to argue about Oliver's body part loss," said Geoff, who was now staring at Oliver.

Maddy was now also staring at Oliver.

"I a s'pose you both want to know of me latest injury?" Oliver casually said. They both nodded quickly. "Owright. But lemme tell you both, it ain't gonna be pretty. It was in this bar in the south of London. There was this seedy fellow who was coming towards me; he was a booky. I had some 300 ducats in debt to him, so he going to either kill me or make me wish that he would kill me. It was the most brutal, painful experience in me life ever! I was yelling and screaming and just hoped I would face death sooner that face this pain again-"

"Out with it, Oliver!" yelled Geoff and Maddy simultaneously.

"He pulled out one o' me tooths!" Oliver slammed.

"That's it," Maddy snickered. "He pulled out one of your teeth."

"Three hundred ducats in debt! My god Oliver, the country of Norway lives on a fraction of that!" Geoff said in amazement.

"Well, what can I say. A gentleman such as meself must have his luxuries!" said Oliver, scratching himself in various places.

"I don't know why I even put up with this. Oh, well. I'm Geoffrey Badgerton and this has been another edition of BBC News. Goodnight."

Last edited:
looks like england is doing well for herself, perhaps a screenie in the future? :D its a shame that France never got to be the power she was, but oh well.

Eagerly await your skirmishes with the irish :D

Well, what the BBC lacks in newsworthiness they certainly make up for in entertainment value! I particularly enjoyed the song "Good King Richard" - clearly Maddy is in the wrong job! :D

The War of the Roses
The End of the War of the Roses, 1472-1485

England's war has raged for decades now. The nobility greedily fight for control of the nation. The peasants suffer, the aristocracy cling to their priveleges, and the middle class is under attack from the nobilty's fears. This is not a war a war between nations. This is not a war between classes in a bitter struggle for rights. No, this is a war to determine the King of England. This war belongs to the nobility, though their carelessness ensures everyone suffers. The nobles take arms, sweep through the countryside, and do battle. And England burns...

warpv.jpg

The nobles fight for the crown of England.

London 1483

Edward the Fourth, England's King, lies in his bed, awaiting the end of his life. Some fourteen others are present in the room.

"Anne, take the others out for a moment now. I want to be alone," the elderly Edward IV wheezed.

The large group surrounding his bedside begin to depart his bedchambers.

"-Edward wait!" The King called, as his son Edward V turned abrubtly. "I want your mother and you to stay here for a moment."

Young Edward began walking slowly towards his father's bed, as his mother followed behind him.

"Edward, my son, have I ever told you about the Battle of Cardiff?" the Elderly Edward IV reminisced.

Yound Edward IV smiled. He had heard his father's tale of the battle many times before, and it had almost got amusing reused by his father. But he could see the delight his father got from telling it.

"No, father. No, I don't believe you've told me this one."

"Well, I know you'll love this one! I had just gained control of England from that dastardly Henry the Sixth. The Welsh nobles allied to Henry were planning to mount an assault on the garrison at Cardiff. However, their plans were not unknown to our family, so I set out with the army to crush the upstart Welshmen! They had met the garrison forces outside of Cardiff and prepared to do battle. The numbers were with the Welshmen, but time, however, was with the Cardiff garrison. Just as the Englishmen were being routed by the Welsh nobles, I arrived with over 3,000 English knights!"

"Three thousand, you say!" Edward V smiled.

"Yes, the fun had just begun!" Edward IV chuckled.

The Queen smiled. Her husband's life would not die fighting to gain the throne, or to keep his title. He would die peacefully by his bedside as King of England, with plenty of victories under his belt and loving family by his side. What greater life could one ask for?

Edward IV finished telling his son of the glorious victory at Cardiff and its bloody details. He let out another chuckle. "But, Edward, my son, those days are long gone... And I long for battle once more. I wish I could die on the field with the others who so bravely die to grant our family the throne. I hope this war will end, for England's sake."

Edward V nodded.

"My dear wife," he began, his hand touching her soft face, "I only hope that you need not see any more bloodshed in your lifetime. I hope that peace will come across England's vast realm. And I hope you will always remember me..."

King Edward IV of England died in 1483, with the War of the Roses still raging on...

The Reforms of Richard Duke of York, 1484

King Edward the Fifth reigned England for less than a year. Another of the House of York, Richard, would take the crown of England. He introduced sweeping reforms, which much favoured the middle class and merchants, whose growing power was greatly curtailed by Lancastrian line. The people had always preferred, and followed the policies of the Yorkists, who granted some considerable power to the nation's growing middle class. The relative turmoil caused by such sweeping reforms was over, and the transition to an England, where the bourgeois had some say in it's affairs, was made relatively smoothly. The war had raged for decades, and Richard needed to get the full support of the middle class. So another round of reforms were made. He approved of the Justice of Peace, which would help ensure legal equality for England. Then to reduce corruption, and icrease productivity in his government, he permitted Middle-Class Bureaucrats, who were much more reliable than greedy nobles, who wanted to increase their holdings. Finally, the King created the Court of the Star Chamber (named for the stars of the chamber's ceiling), which was seperate from his own court, but could still function as a major factor in determining English policies and decision-making. England was on the frontier of riteous nations.

Chose 'Yes we need them' in 'Justices of Peace'

Chose 'Give them your support' in 'Support Middle-Class Bureaucrats'

Chose 'Yes we need one' in 'Court of the Star Chamber'

The Battle of Bosworth Field

r3battle.jpg

The Final Battle...

Yorkist forces numbering some 12,000 were ready to fight the last battle of the War of the Roses. The Lancastrians had landed a forces of some 5,000 Lancastrian nobles and kinghts, in a last attempt to gain England's throne. Richard commanded a force of some 5,000 men, while much of them were under the command of the Stanley brothers. Richard put much trust in the Stanley brothers, for their betrayal would mean defeat for the Yorkists, and possibly years more of back-and-forth warfare between the two rival branches of the Plantagenets. The Stanley brothers proved to be the decisive factor, leading their men to victory for Richard at the Battle of Bosworth Field. The Yorkists had won the war.

bosworthmap.jpg

The Battle Plan

Henry had agreed to end hostilities between the Yorkists and Lancastrians, so long as that once Richard passed on, the crown would be passed on to Henry's son, who would create the Tudor house of Kings. Richard officially took the name King Richard the Third of England, and had the privelege of becoming the victor of the War of the Roses, and the King of an England at peace.

The Wars of the Roses: a struggle for the throne of England fought between the royal families of Lancaster and York. The name comes from the family symbols - a red rose for Lancaster, and a white one for York.

Historical Innaccuracies

Historically, Richard was Duke of Gloucestor, and locked up Edward V and his younger brother in the Tower of London. They mysteriously disappeared, but were most-likely mudered. Parliament then selected Richard, who served as protector of yound Edward V, who was merely a boy. The game serves no information of this event.

Despite what the game says, Richard III was betrayed by the Stanley brothers, who joined Henry. Richard III was defeated and died in battle, despite the fictional telling of the war from William Shakespear's tale. It's over 1490, and in my game, Richard III is still the ruling monarch.

Must Read

Despite what happened in history's sense, my AAR will not give reason to Richard's control of the crown, nor that he even lost the Battle of Bosworth Field. The Stanleys, in my tale, were loyal to him (one was in fact, his stepfather), and he lived through and won the battle. His rule continues a long time after this victory, where the agreed upon Henry Tudor shall reign upon Richard's death

Last edited:
_Arcadian_ said:
Historical Innaccuracies

Historically, Richard was Duke of Gloucestor, and locked up Edward V and his younger brother in the Tower of London. They mysteriously disappeared, but were most-likely mudered. Parliament then selected Richard, who served as protector of yound Edward V, who was merely a boy. The game serves no information of this event.

Despite what the game says, Richard III was betrayed by the Stanley brothers, who joined Henry. Richard III was defeated and died in battle, despite the fictional telling of the war from William Shakespear's tale. It's over 1490, and in my game, Richard III is still the ruling monarch.

Must Read

Despite what happened in history's sense, my AAR will not give reason to Richard's control of the crown, nor that he even lost the Battle of Bosworth Field. The Stanleys, in my tale, were loyal to him (one was in fact, his stepfather), and he lived through and won the battle. His rule continues a long time after this victory, where the agreed upon Henry Tudor shall reign upon Richard's death.

I think it's a random decision which way the Stanleys jump in the 'Bosworth' event - if they go with Richard he gets Henry VII's reign and then there's a forced cut back to Henry VIII (who keeps his number despite there not having been a Henry VII) to avoid having to set up 300 years of fantasy monarchs and events.

I'm liking this AAR, especially the pictures. Keep up the good work!

(Historical Nitpick - Actually the 'elderly' Edward IV was only 40 when he died. If he'd lived another few years, Edward V would have been of age, Richard would never have been Protector, and...)

Thanks for the information Merrick. I did a lot of research on the War of the Roses for this post. As mentioned, Richard won the battle in the event. However, when I was just looking for some deeper information (i.e. battle plan, Edward V's short reign), I found that the Yorkists lost the battle. Also, that Richard died in the battle! This came as quite the shock when it said the Stanley's remained loyal, the Yorkists won the battle, Richard was my monarch for over a decade after the battle! Thanks for reading my AAR, I hope your enjoying it so far.