• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

richvh

Preserver of the Light
62 Badges
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
So Sioux Me - An Exercise in Patience

Playing a vanilla Grand Campaign as Dakota using the 1.07 January 24 beta, using very hard/furious settings

Gather around, children, as I tell you of the birth of our nation. Many, many moons ago, the four tribes of Minnesota, Iowa, Mesabi and Duluth agreed to unite under the wise rule of Onondaga. We were a poor people; despite the plentiful bison that roamed our land, the only good that traders were interested in was the maize grown in our villages and the wild rice harvested from the numerous small lakes of our land, and only 49 belts of wampum were in our treasury. We were an isolated people; it was many days’ walk to the lands of the Shawnee, the closest large tribe, and even further to the lands of the Iroquois, the Huron, the Lenape and the Cherokee, and many moons’ travel to the distant lands of the Aztecs, whence came the traders who bought our grain. We were a backwards people, and it seemed like forever for us to learn anything new.

Chief Onondaga decided to encourage the learning of new things (INN to +6) and use the tribe’s entire monthly income, little as it was, in improving government services. (100% investment in infrastructure) We had no standing force of braves to protect our land, but as distant as we were from any strong tribe, it was decided it would be better to raise braves when we were attacked rather than to spend our meager income on keeping a force in arms. Not everyone was happy with these decisions, but they were accepted for the most part (Stability at +1) It would be more than one turn of the seasons before all protests were silenced. (Stability reached +2 in Sep. 1419, and +3 in Sep. 1420) Our great Chief also pledged to keep the Iowa in our nation, and to conclude a marriage between his family and the chiefs of the Iroquois.

It is told that in the ninth moon of the first turn of the seasons, we learned from traveling traders that the rulers of the Aztecs and the Mayas had arranged a marriage between their families. This created a great sensation, as this was the first time we had heard of the Maya. In the second moon of the second turn of the seasons, we sent a tribal elder to the chief of the Iroquois, offering a marriage, which they accepted. One turn of the seasons later, the chief of the Hurons accepted our offer of a marriage; the tribal elder on returning reported that the Hurons had entered into a treaty with the Lenape as he was leaving. This caused some stir among our people, especially the Iowa, who built some special camps to train braves. (Establish Cantonments in Aug. 1421, +1 manpower in Iowa)

In the fourth turn of the season, as we sent another tribal elder to the Shawnee to arrange another successful marriage, rumors of war far to the south reached us - the Aztecs had declared war on another people we had never heard of before, the Zapotecs. In the fifth turn, we sent an elder to the Aztecs to arrange yet another successful marriage, and he reported on his return that several moons earlier the Maya had agreed to let the Aztec send their armies across their lands. At the end of the fifth turn of the seasons, Chief Onondaga was pleased to announce success in his goals of keeping Iowa in our nation, and in arranging a marriage with the Iroquois, and renewed his pledge to keep the Iowa in our nation.

Shortly after, we sent an elder to the Aztecs to try to exchange maps with them (unsuccessfully), and it seems that sending elders to the lands of the traders upset the more conservative members of our tribe; less than a moon after sending the elder off, it seemed like every brave in Minnesota was outside of the chief’s stockade, protesting his attention to the distant Aztecs, but it was still winter, and soon they all decided to go home. (Unhappiness among the Peasants, revolt in Minnesota, the capital and only fortified province, but only 1061 in the rebel force, which is about what the province population was. With 17% attrition, they went below 1000 in a month and dispersed.) On the return of the elder, he reported that the Aztec-Zapotec war had ended with the Zapotecs surrendering land and wampum to their opponents, and shortly afterward the chiefs of the Aztecs and Maya arranged a marriage between their peoples.

In the seventh turn of the seasons, our elder arranged for an exchange of maps with the Shawnee, so that we now knew the trails to the chiefs of the Cherokee and Lenape, and our Chief pledged to arrange a marriage with the Lenape, which we arranged during the eighth turn, and in the ninth turn we did likewise with the Cherokee. We exchanged maps with the Iroquois in the tenth turn, and at the end of ten turns Chief Onondaga was pleased to announce success in keeping Iowa in our nation, renewed the pledge to keep Iowa in our nation, and encourage further efforts to learn new things. (INN to 7)

dude, great name for the AAR, keep it up

Nice telling thus far.
I hope that you do not grow too bored.
Vanilla Dakota can be quite the daunting task, all isolated and with no events to call your own.

Excellent title and a lovely turn of phrase so far.

Your subtitle "an exercise in patience" is aptly chosen. What goals do you have for the Dakota? Just breaking the isolation penalty would be a notable accomplishment by itself.:) I definitely agree with you on not building armies -- I played the Navaho and didn't build any armies for about 50 years. You have to be extremely conservative fiscally for a long time, and pray you never get the corruption event, at least not early on. Good luck!

Thank you all for the encouragement. My goals are quite modest - survival and financial security. Peter Ebbeson might be able to achieve a world conquest as the Dakota, but I don't think I'm in that league yet. If I'm independent, still have all my starting provinces and never had a bankruptcy in 1820, I figure I've done well - whatever my victory point total is.

A nice start. I'm tickled at how you relate the game's events to your story.

You lucked out with that revolt in Minnesota, but you should never fight an enemy if General Winter will do it for you, right? ;)

So Sioux Me Part Two - 1429-1439

Did I doze off? Sorry. Now where was I? At the end of the tenth turn of seasons? Thank you, child.

During the eleventh turn of the seasons, we exchanged maps with the Lenape. In the twelfth the Aztecs finally deigned to exchange maps with us, our Chief announced the success of his 5-Turn Plan to have a marriage with the Lenape, pledged to have a marriage with the Zapotec, and we learned that the Shawnee sat at the council fire with the Huron and Lenape.

During the thirteenth turn, we sent an elder to the Zapotecs to arrange a marriage, and learned that the relations of the Eastern Tribes had been reshuffled - now the Shawnee, Cherokee and Huron sat at the council fire together.

During the fourteenth turn, elders were sent with a marriage proposal to the Maya. In the fifteenth, a marriage proposal was sent to the Navaho, but this was too much for our medicine men, who complained that the Navaho worshipped Coyote as the trickster god, rather than Raven, and urged our Chief to go back to the old ways. Fortunately, our Chief, seeing further than them, ignored their grumbling. (Unhappiness among the Clergy, we Ignored their Demands, taking a stability hit to avoid the innovation decrease and the increase in tech cost that would result.)

At the end of the fifteenth turn, we celebrated the retention of the Iowa in our nation, and renewed our pledge to keep them. In the sixteenth turn, we exchanged maps with the Cherokee, discovering the lands of the Creek, which had previously only been a rumor. (I had to edit the known lands of the Cherokee in the savefile, adding the owned provinces of the Cherokee and Creek to their known provinces, since for some reason the Cherokee not only don’t know the lands of the neighboring Creek, they don’t even know their own lands. I reported that on the bug reports forum, and Andrew T confirmed that the Cherokee known provinces were buggy.)

In the seventeenth turn, we celebrated our success in our marriage with the Zapotec, and pledged to complete a marriage with the Creek, which we immediately sent elders to arrange. Later that turn, a wealthy trader gifted our Chief with 100 belts of wampum. (Gift to the State, +100 ducats)

In the eighteenth turn, we exchanged maps with the Huron, and in the nineteenth with the Creek. Later in the nineteenth turn, we put restrictions on the traders who came up from the lands of the Aztecs (Foreign Trade Competition Rises, we Imposed a New Tariff, increasing Mercantilism to 6 to avoid the Trade Research hit that went with Eliminating a Tariff and reducing Mercantilism would have caused - 200 ducats is several years’ research investment, at 7 ducats a month from Monarch Admin Skill (or 9+ if I put all my meager monthly income in that category.))

In the twentieth turn, we exchanged maps with the Zapotec, and at the end of twenty turns, our Chief was proud to announce that once again, the Iowa were still part of our tribe, renewed his pledge to keep the Iowa as part of our nation, and renewed efforts to find new ways to do things. (Increased INN to 8)

In some respects this aar is reading like a slow, meandering river, that looks so calm, so tranquil. I wonder where the rapids are?

stnylan said:
In some respects this aar is reading like a slow, meandering river, that looks so calm, so tranquil. I wonder where the rapids are?

Hopefully far, far down the river ;) This isn't quite a hands-off game, but I am going to play cautiously.

So Sioux Me - Part 3, 1439-1449

Ahhh, that was a delicious meal. Now, where was I? Ah, yes…

In the twenty-first turn of the seasons, we exchanged maps with the Navajo. In the twenty-second turn, we celebrated the successful marriage with the Creek and exchanged maps again with the Shawnee.

In the winter of the twenty-third turn, a brave brought a complaint against a sub-chief of the Duluth. After hearing both sides, our Chief ruled in favor of the brave. (Petition for Redress; we Accepted the Petition, avoiding a revolt in Duluth and increasing centralization to 1) This caused much grumbling among the sub-chiefs. (Stability to -1, but revolt risk was still 0 in all provinces. Later that turn, the Cherokee, Shawnee and Huron once again sat around the council fire.

In the twenty-fourth turn, tensions increased among the southern tribes, as the Aztecs announced they no longer wished transit rights for their warbands in the Mayan lands. At the end of the twenty-fifth turn, we renewed our pledge to keep the Iowa in our nation.

In the twenty-seventh turn, our marriage with the Iroquois ended, and we quickly pledged to renew it, and dispatched tribal elders to achieve that end. Later that turn, tensions in the south decreased as the Aztec and Maya sat around the council fire. In the twenty-eighth turn, our marriage with the Huron ended and was renewed. In the twenty-ninth turn, we renewed our marriage with the Shawnee, and in the thirtieth turn elders were sent to the Aztecs to renew our marriage with them. At the end of the thirtieth turn, we again renewed our pledge to keep Iowa, and made new efforts to learn new ways to do things. (INN to 9)

Last edited:
What are the opportunities for colonization like for the Dakota? In my only game as a North American tribe (Lenape, much easier I imagine), I found I could make a lot of progress in this way, by moving the DPs accordingly.

Farquharson said:
What are the opportunities for colonization like for the Dakota? In my only game as a North American tribe (Lenape, much easier I imagine), I found I could make a lot of progress in this way, by moving the DPs accordingly.

Zilch for the next few decades. I started out with 0 colonists/year (Innovation 5 and Land 10, I think those are the only sliders that affect colonists) and have been steadily increasing innovation since then. I wouldn't be able to pay for many colonization attempts, anyway; even if I put all my monthly income in the treasury, I could pay for perhaps one every two years, and all the neighboring provinces are High or Very High aggresiveness and success percentages of, at the highest, in the thirties.

Free Trade/Mercantilism certainly used to effect colonists as well. I can't remember if it still does.

stnylan said:
Free Trade/Mercantilism certainly used to effect colonists as well. I can't remember if it still does.

Yup, still does, and that started at 5, increased one point by an event. I now get +1 colonist/yr for being a frontier country, but -2.8/yr for domestic policies (-1.6 for Innovative 9, -.2 for Mercantilism 6, -1 for Land 10. (Original domestic policy adjustment was -1, all from land.)

So Sioux Me, part 4 - 1449-1459

You brought me flowers, child? Yes, they are very pretty. You want me to continue the story now? Very well.

In the thirty-first turn of the seasons, we finally, after all our efforts, learned something new - how to more efficiently collect taxes. (Infrastructure level increased to 1) Our chief quickly moved to appoint tax collectors in all of our provinces. Needless to say, not everyone was pleased with this development. Later that turn we heard that the Aztecs and Maya had arranged a marriage between their leading families.

In the thirty-second turn, we celebrated our successful marriage with the Iroquois. In the thirty-third turn, after the end of our marriage with the Lenape we pledged to renew it, and sent elders to them to arrange the marriage. Later that turn, the councils of the eastern tribes were rearranged, as the Cherokee and Shawnee smoked the peace pipe, leaving the Huron out of their council fire. The Huron, rebuffed, invited the Lenape to their council fire in the thirty-fourth turn. Later that turn, the villagers of Duluth planted new fields. (Agricultural Revolution; +1 manpower in Duluth)

In the thirty-fifth turn we heard that a new chief, Ah Xiu, ruled the Maya. At the end of the thirty-fifth turn, we celebrated the continued presence of the Iowa in our nation, and pledged to keep them there and to have a successful marriage with the Lenape.

In the thirty-sixth turn, the medicine men again protested against the loss of the old ways, which our Chief ignored. (Unhappiness Among the Clergy; we Ignored their Demands) In the thirty-seventh turn, we learned how to send our own traders to the Aztecs (Trade level increased to 1) and quickly dispatched our traders with our surplus grain to trade it for what we needed. Our chief directed that we put all our efforts in improving the government. (Full monthly budget to Infrastructure research, save for about a month that I put it in Land, but I was only a couple years from completing Land and Naval research, so put it back to Infrastructure.) Toward the end of that turn, we learned that the Maya and Aztecs once more sat around the council fire together.

In the thirty-eighth turn, we renewed our marriage with the Zapotecs and celebrated our successful marriage with the Lenape. In the thirty-ninth turn, we renewed our marriage with the Maya, celebrated the birth of a new heir (Heir to Throne is Born), and war drums were heard as the Lenape and Huron declared war on the Iroquois. The fortieth turn heard more war drums as the Maya and Aztecs marched on the Zapotecs, we renewed our marriage with the Navajo, the Cherokee and Shawnee marched on the Creek, and the Maya permitted the passage of Aztec armies on their land.

At the end of the fortieth turn, we celebrated the retention of Iowa and a successful marriage with the Lenape, and renewed our pledge to retain Iowa.

richvh said:
In the thirty-fifth turn we heard that a new chief, Ah Xiu, ruled the Maya.

Was that his real name, or did you sneeze when you tried to say it?

You can go colonial with the natives, but you have to plan out your first few DP changes very carefully. At least so it was when I played the Navaho.

Do you intend to join one of the alliances, or act as a lone wolf?

If you want to come anywhere near world conquest, you need to build tons of colonies from day one. Otherwise you will always be hopelessly short on manpower. 5 colonists/year is absolute minimum, 7/year is beter.