• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You really beat on the poor swedes. What are the plans for the future. I think you should claim the throne of scotland.

You really beat on the poor swedes. What are the plans for the future. I think you should claim the throne of scotland.

By now I have reached 1545.The Swedes have a tendency to re-appear as you just noticed. But don't worry, I have my eyes on Europe, and the pherhaps the world...

~1522: An eventless year~

Oh, what did I say, I am sorry Charles to mis-inform you, but the French and the Scottish princesses I was not married with until 1525. It was the English princess in 1521. Her name was Bethan, she was as beautifull as a princess could be. She was also twenty one when we were married. I had very deep feelings for her. But I was a statesman, a ruler. There were more important things to worry about.

The year 1521 ended with a Novgorian attack on Kexholm, they routing the army that was staioned there. But when the retreating cowards saw the lion banner, they soon turned around and rejoined for the fight. We defeated them severelyon the 15th of december, I got a chance to spend christmas at home, with my new wife. The Novgorians attempted again to attack on the 30th of december, but one of my lower commanders handed that without problems.

The new year started with new rebellions. Olav Galle and his Hålogaland Regiment took care of revolts on Jylland and Sjælland from time to time. It seemed like it was becoming more and more of them. Bloody Danes! I heard news from Europe. Hungary was clinging to its last remains. Hungary did well against Bohemia and forced her to pay 20,000 kroner, but Hungary was falling down, it was just a matter of time. Even more stunning was that the Wallachians paid the Saxons 148,000 kroner to end the war between those two countries.

In the 1st of april, Thorstein informed me we could build refineries.

"I did not take you for a man who told april fools Thorstein."

"I am certainly not my lord, we can build them, but not afford them."

"Very well then, it seems like we cannot afford a thing in these days..."

Kleves asked for a white peace in may. It amused me, because I did not even know we were at war with Kleves, even less did I know where it was. An even more twisted fact was that Novgorod and Kleves made peace the same month, could that be possible? Had they not heard, my enemy's foe is my friend? Never matter with those small worthless German states, they belonged to Norway and I did not see why they had a right to even exist.

The summer of 1522 saw many revolts, both at home and in the New World. I went to Nyland in may and stayed there till june, since the rebels did not give up after the first time and rebelled again. Would they never learn? The Jylland peasants rebelled and was of course defeated within the next day by Olav Galle. Anticosti, Belle Isle and Penobscot was freed from rebel control, it was official, the Vinland revolt was over for now. And soon after, the rebels were gone in all of my realm. On the first of november, we went bankrupt. Thorstein saw this as a huge crise, and he was right, the rebel scum rose up again. As if that would help our economy get back on its feets. This time it was not revolts to such a great extent, and I got the chance to have a peacefull christmas once more.

On the christmas gild, I met a man at my age named Harald the Black. We soon became good friends and it seemed he had a special interrest for combat. He was soon made a general and prooved to be quite good actually.
Now, in early 1523 was the time relations with Scotland was made. We sent them gifts and letters, they became good friends of Norway soon...

A very casual bankruptcy by the sound of things.

~What is Germany?~

That is a question I have asked myself at times. What is Germany. Or, what was Germany. It was a people, but not a nation. Who did it belong to? The Austrian duke tought of it as his land, and liked to call himself emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. According to my historical knowledge, the Roman Empire fell over thousand years ago, though was it great, pherhaps the greatest ever existed. And the fact that a weakling in Austria claimed himself a Roman emperor and even styled it with the word "holy", angered me deeply. If anyone was ever up for the task of re-create the Roman Empire, it was me.

The year of our lord, 1523, begin with the usual revolts. In fact, they decided to revolt on new years eve, knowing that the entire Norwegian army was drunk at the moment. Of course, drunkness do not last forever, so on the 3rd of january the rebels of Nyland were defeated. In the lack of sisters or daughters and in an upcoming royal marriage with the Teutons, I had a street prostitute from Bjørgvin stashed up so nice that she looked like a queen. The temptation was unbareable, I had to try her before sending her off to the Teutons, a little royality in her would not harm.

I looked over a map of Germany. I saw Hannover, a small defenceless country ready to be annexed. I do not know for what reason I picked Hannover. But Holstein was good friends of us for now and was not to be delt with yet, Mecklenburg had too many powerfull allies and so had Bremen, it had to be Hannover. Another important fact was that Hannover would give me a center in the middle of Northern Germany, a base to continiue the road towards the final goal, dominance over Europe. I then swore an oath before the council, "I will never be at peace, nor will this country, until our armies are banging the walls of Rome!". War was declared on Hannover. The glorious lion banner of Norway would be brought south, into Europe!

It was in the months of january and february that Ryazan and Ukraine sued for peace again, I had no interrest in fighting enemies I could not reach yet, so I accepted the cowards' bid for mercy. We were still at war with the Novgorians though. Hannover was allied to Province, Gelre and Genoa, it was only one of those allies though who could actually come to their aid. Sending armies into Europe would have to wait, there were rebellions in Sjælland and Gotland. There were no army stationed in Gotland so it would have to be shipped there. This took away much focus and wasted another month of my precious time. Holstein was re-invited to our alliance with the Teutons, they gladly joined, soon after Bohemia joined. They all declared war upon Novgorod. Now the eastern front was secured as the Teutons re-opened hostilities with the Novgorian scum.

April that year was pretty much spent on thinking, and pherhaps in bed with my beatifull English wife. But the next month would be more busy. On the first of may, five provinces rose up in rebellion. Bergenshus, Småland, Gästrikland, Savolaks, and even Gander in Vinland. I personally commanded the attack on the rebels in Bergenshus, the largest rebellion. What had made them revolt? Did they not get the usual supply of German prostitutes that they wanted? Surely they could have just asked. But no, they want to rebel against the crown, delaying the nation in its final task, conquest.

I heard news from abroad during that month, shocking news indeed. Austria was building up a giant alliance rapidly. First Milan entered their alliance on the third of may, then Bavaria on the 16th and Strassburg on the 20th. Also, The Palatinat joined the alliance of Hessen and Kleves. The Germans were getting ready for war it seemed like.

The nation was overrun by rebellions the following months. In adittion, the Teutons had been defeated by the Novgorians in Ingermannland, allowing them to move into our Finnish posessions. I could not fight them and the rebels at the same time. So I made peace with Novgorod, paying them 25,000 kroner (25D). This was something that had to be done, I was ashamed of it, and to ease the shame, I declared war upon Novgorod again in October as the rebels had been quelled. I also got a letter that month from Erlend of Losna, where he told me he was fighting a war with a Skræling nation called Creek. I had never heard of them, but sent him my blessings.

Finally, on the 18th of october, Mecklenburg granted us military access through their lands, we would soon bring our grand army into Germany. In november, a heroic battle was fought, but lost against the Creek Skrælings. They were too many so Erlend retreated. Well, I ordered him to make peace with the Creeks to prevent them from invading our Florida posessions, and rather focus on getting far into the heart of Vinland.

The christmas of 1523 was not spent in my dear castle of Akershus. It was spent in Mecklenburg. We took a short break in our march towards Hannover. We stayed in Mecklenburg for five days. It was hard to spend the christmas away from my home in those days, but as the years have passed I have gotten more and more used to it. In the absence of my beloved queen I spent the nights with a noblewoman from Mecklenburg, I did not dear think about if Bethan did the same.

Our armies marched south the day after christmas. We marched swiftly into Hannover and celebrated the new year as we celebrated a victory against the German pigs. I could smell the fear as I rode into their ranks, instead of standing ground like real men, they started hesitating and even run. "If all the armies of Europe are to be like the armies of Hannover, it will surely be a pleasant ride." Sigmund said loudly. I just nodded and answered "Yes, indeed...".

Bradenburg would not let us have what was rightfully ours. Those swines declared war upon the glorious realm of Norway on the 6th of january, 1524. Hungary and Poland joined their side against us. Surely, they could not count on dying Hungary to bring any armies into Northern-Germany. This ended our alliances in Europe, Holstein and Bohemia chose to dishonor the alliance, but even worse and more shocking, so did the Teutonic Order. I wondered if the Grand Master had discovered his new wife was a prostitute. One could never know, all that was certain was that the Teutons had betrayed Norway, and would one day get the chance to pay for it.

The next month would of course have to begin with new rebellions. In the middle of a war! Well at least, I had Harald the Black left in Norway with 15,000 cavalery to punish the traitors. To stress things more up than they already were I declared war on Saxony. I tought that since I was going to conquer Germany I might as well take them all in one row. On the second of march I got the message that Georgia declared war upon us as they joined the alliance of Ryazan, Ukraine and Novgorod and I also got informed that the alliance was in a war versus some distant countries named Golden Horde, Khazak Horde and Sibir. The day after, some weakling nation named Moldavia joined the Slavic alliance and declared war upon us. Since we had no allied in Europe, I tought we might as well ally the Lenape Skrælings again, and so we did, on the 14th of march.

On the 16th of march our armies marched into Magdeburg, and defeated Brandenburg's army severely. A month later they tried to relieve the siege and drive us out of Magdeburg but they were routed again, like the coward Germans they were. Olav Galle was sent into Sachen to defeat the Saxons. However he was outnumbered, and was one of the lucky few to get back alive, as most of the men had died while fighting bravely to their death. I decided not to launch too many attacks at once from now. The army in Germany should stay one for the moment.

The war with Brandenburg continiued, finally we started the siege of Brandenburg itself on the 28th of october. I left a commander named Thorir to defend the province of Hannover as Hannover was planing to launch a counter attack from Oldenburg. In early december, his army was defeated and I would have to attack myself. I was again on march during christmas. I had not seen my dear home, nor my dear wife in over a year. I heard news of an admiral named Eirik the Red that had joined the service, catching name I tought, have I not read that in a saga somewhere?

We defeated Hannover on the second of january in 1525 and initiated a siege there. Three days later, I got overwhelmed by foreign diplomats, they all wanted peace. Of course they want peace when the great army of Norway stands before them. I accepted white peace with Poland, Moldavia, Ukraine, Gelre and Provence.

The next thing that happened was shocking. I heard news that English spies had tried to capture my beloved queen, their plans had been to take her back to England but they got caught and Bethan was killed in the confusion. This outraged me, I declared war upon the English bastards and their entire alliance; England, Friesland, Aragon and Bremen. Thorstein said to me as I was to sign the declaration of war "I do not believe it so smart to have so many enemies to fight at once my lord.". "One must not strive for what is smartest to do in order to survival. We are powerfull, the survival of our nation is not in danger, it is the survival of our honor that will fall if we do not answer to such insults properly.".

Right after declaring war upon England I made a royal marriage with Scotland and France and as I said before, though I mixed up the dates then: I let the Scottish king know the thruth as his daughter was married to me, but I fooled the old senile French king as he married his daughter to me in the belief he was marrying her to my brother. And I did not have a brother. But those two wives of mine would have to wait a while in Akershus for me.

The Lenape Skrælings did not want to be in an alliance with such a warring nation as they called us, though they did not know the nations we were at war with, except the English whom had two colonies in Vinland. Norway entered a military alliance with the Iroqouis and Shawnee Skrælings on the 14th of january.

We defeated Hannover again, in Hannover on the 8th of february. Harald the Black had a hard time with rebels in the homeland but took care of them again and again. The economy was strained, we were heading towards bankrupcy again, but that could not matter, the war was where focus should be put. Saxony and then Ryazan asked for white peace in april, I accepted with both, seeing that the war with Saxony was not going any way and that fighting Ryazan was pointless.

I turned my attention to Brandenburg again, and had a short battle with them there in may before starting a siege. In june we saw the first sign of English involvement in the war, they sent a small fleet to the sea of Stavanger that were anihilated by Eirik the Red. A peace with Hungary was also accepted in june, not that any fighting had taken place between the two nations. In july the English tried once again, this time by a land invasion of Jylland. They were killed before they had gotten up from the beaches, our archers and cannons fired at them as they were moving out of their vessels and made their landing impossible.

I had to move out of Brandenburg, the armies of Hannover were gathering in Oldenburg. I pushed right into Oldenburg and defeated the remainants of Hannover's army. This autumn saw hundreds of revolts all around the empire rising up. It would be really hard, not just in the homeland would there be rebellions but also in Vinland, where I had to ship out 5,000 men. Another thing I heard from Vinland was that Erlend of Losna had met Spaniards there and a border had been set with them before he moved northwards.

And I tought Gustav Vasa was dead. But no, he was appearantly not. In december most of Sweden revolted under his command, Vestgøtaland, Småland, Svealand, Gestrikland and even the national Norwegian province of Jæmtland. I left Olav Galle in command of the German armies and were shipped into Norway. I met with my new French and Scottish wives in Akershus and then moved into Sweden. Harald the Black moved into Jæmtland from Trønderlag and I onto the new Swedish capitol in Vestgøtaland from Østlandet. The Swedes were quickly defeated, in fact all their armies had been slaughtered within a month. The English fleet in the north sea were defeated by Eirik the Red at the same time as the last Swedish army was beaten in Svealand on the 8th of january.

I heard reports from Olav Galle that he had defeated Brandenburg in Magdeburg. The southern war was still lacking results in territorial gain. The council had doubts for a while if it was so smart to continiue the German campain but soon got to their senses when I spoke to them "We cannot not retreat, if we do we would lose all respect and fear that we have gained from others in Europe, therefore we must go on until all of Germany is in our might!".

In april, Brandenburg attack our army in Magdeburg but gets routed. Also, Eirik the Red defeats an English navy in Tyne in april and a fleet from Bremen in may. Efforts are made against heretic protestants in many provinces within Scandinavia, including Østlandet. Another naval battle was won against England in may, this time in Trondheimsfjorden. Leif Sigurdsson forfills his last duty by moving into Detroit and Michili, he dies in Detroit, in a bed.

The meeting started, the members of the royal council sat around the table. No formalities took place, the discussion started at once. It had to be decided what to do in the war. A rather stupid man named Hans came up with the idea of offering peace to the English and give them half our treasury too. He was dismissed at once.

"Are there any more of you that wishes the fatherland to behave like a coward? Then speak now."

As I expected, no one said a word, I continiued my little speech.

"There was once a time when our kings looked beyond the sea to expand our borders. It was a glorious time, truly a glorious time. And during that glorious time we had the chance to conquer England but our couragious king were killed in the heat of battle. We have never since that time been mighty enough to even try to take over England, but our brave men, at sea and land, have proven to us that England can and will be beaten. Our nation is strong now, stronger than ever before. So let us use that strenght, to forfill the dream of Harald Hardråda! To England!"

"I will never be at peace, nor will this country, until our armies are banging the walls of Rome!".

I am not sure if this was entirely intentional (I don't know how good your grasp of english slang is) but this line had me cracking up.

It sounds like you like living dangerously. Excellent :D

Great writing of a really intense period in your game! Pardon my lack of faith, but are you strong enough yet to take on everybody? And win? And even if you defeat the other nations, your own rebels may be the death of you (but I certainly hope not).

I must say the nearest future is bright, but what happens in the far future (beyond 1545) is to me a mistery. One can pherhaps not survive when governing a nation like Napoleon and Hitler in the long run, but who knows...
I have chosen not to play this save game too much so that I will manage to try and keep up with the AAR. However, I have gained much experience by playing as other nations in other games. So when I got back to this game in 1525, I was pretty much ready for whatever :)

I am not sure if this was entirely intentional (I don't know how good your grasp of english slang is) but this line had me cracking up.

It sounds like you like living dangerously. Excellent

Yes, I love living dangeruous :D

Maybe I meant "knocking on the walls of Rome"? I am not sure, pherhaps I should change it if it sounds wierd...

~The return of the Vikings~

The last four months of 1526 was hectical, the invasion of England was about to begin, and the last action with Hannover would take place. But first Karl, I will tell you about the invasion of England

I kissed my wives good bye as I woke up from the bed that morning, it was time to leave. Mary, my Scottish queen was expecting a child, hopefully a heir to the throne, a son. We left Akershus on horse and rode into Oslo. More men had to be rallied in the last day before we left. So it would be done the old way, the leidang would be called upon.

But it was not like the old days, the people had more freedom now, and lived in the spirit of freedom from the days of when we were liberated from tyranny. So they would have to be inspired, if a king could not afford to have masses of professional warriors and his people were not slaves, he would have to inspire them to go to war, without monetary payment. I rode to the thing place that was built by my grandfather, a great open paved ground in the middle of the city. So large space was it between the nearest buildings that at least ten thousands could stand there and listen to those who held speeches from the stage in the middle. A large crowd of people gathered around me as I stood there with my hirdmen around the stage. Most of those who had come to hear me were young men seeking adventure abroad.

"We were once great enough to conquer the isles in the west. And now, we are great enough again. Your great-grandfathers spilled their blood on the holy soil of Norway to free this great land of ours, and this great free people that live here. Your grandfathers spilled their blood in Denmark, and revenged the years of rape and murder the Danes caused us. Your fathers revenged the treachery done to us by the damned Swedes. We have had our revenge, and look where we are now. We are only equaled by Spain in all of Europe, but that will not last, for we will outrank them all. A great king of our past, Harald Hardråda, had a dream. His dream was to conquer England and he was so close to forfill that dream. Let us revenge his death, and let us set sail for England and take back the land that is rightfully ours. Join with me as brothers in arms, if it is your will. And you will gain honor and glory, both in this life and in the afterlife. For Saint Olaf and the holy fatherland, to war!!!"

I raised my right arm with Ironthung (my sword) in my as i yelled the last line, the crowd was wild, screaming "Hail Yngvar!" "To war!!".

The ships were filled with men. Free men of all ages and classes of society, joined together in the brotherhood of arms. All have they by their own will chosen to go to war for the glory of king and country. And as I said to the men at the port

"As we enter the battlefield, all perception of class and nobility are gone, the only ranks that exist are those of the military. But even we, the king and his generals, will fight as any other soldier. We will shed our blood on the battlefield no less than anyone else of you brave warriors. We are all equals to God, and I shall surely not spill that holy word by standing in the background of a battle like the cowards of the rest of Europe. Nor will you my brave men, flee and stick your heads in the dirt, like those pigeons of the south. We are a breed of great men, we are the lucky few, destined to rule the earth. So let us forfill that destiny now, together, like true brothers in arms."

"May God and Saint Olaf be on our side, for the rest of Europe is certainly not." said Sigmund to me with a smile as we walked into the royal warship, Ormin Langi.

I could see the hairs on my own arm raised themselves as we were nearing the shores of Lancashire. It was not fear, nor was it cold. I felt pride, I felt like my ancestors looked down upon me from paradise. I felt that for I knew, that Norwegian forces had not landed on the soils of England since Harald Hardråda invaded in 1066, and knew that was almost five hundred years ago. I felt glory, true glory and knew that if my men felt the same, victory would not be in question. I remembered reading in the sagas about a tradition called "go viking", and knew the tradition had now been reborn, it was time for the people of England to know true fear, once again.

For the sake of Viking spirit, I did not follow the usual prosedure of this silly age we live in. The English, probably the most formal and silly of them all sent out negotiators to the beach, they had somehow been alarmed of our arrival. I gave my men a supply of old costumes as it looked like. The ships were already worked on to make them look like the longships of old, though still as good, and even better than the ships of today. We dressed ourselves in an old style of helmets, though made of the finest steel from Spain. We wore brynjes and took shields that looked like the ones used five hundred years ago, but as hard and protective as those of today. It was truly a shocking sight for the English pigs when we arrived.

I mentioned they sent a negotiator to the beach to "welcome" us and talk peace with me. However, I had choses from the minute I saw him his would be the first head to fall on the field. I was the first to run out of the boats as we landed the beaches. We ran with haste out of the boats, I chopped the head of the negotiator and sent the rest of his body back on the horse to his general.

When all of my army was on land, I stood first in line, on foot, as we gathered up, ready to run into the English. I had given the command of the Royal Guard cavalry to a man named Thorstein, Sigmund fought on foot with me in the Army of Freedom. A soldier next to me asked "My lord, will it not be too bold of you too risk your life by being in the very front of the line?", others turned their attention to me and the man and I spoke loudly, "A king is meant for honor, not a long life!". I turned towards Sigmund and said "Strength and honor!", he replied with a proud smile; "Strength and honor!", and right after I started running forward, the rest of the men soon followed and yelled with all their hearts, "To glory!!!".

It did not take Sigmund long time to catch up with me, and I saw the cavalry who was divided in two to flank both the sides were riding faster than the wind further and further out from our flanks. But they would not clash until right after the main clash with the infantry. The English opened the battle with their usual rain of arrows. One of the arrows hit Sigmund in his left shoulder. He just continiued running, put the sword in the sheath and pulled out the arrow with his right hand. Then he took the sword out of the sheat again and doubbled both his speed and anger while screaming "English bastards!!".

The sight of a red haired lunatic running towards them with the devil in his eyes could not exactly have been a boost to the morale of the English troops. Nor could the wild sounds from the rest of the fierce northern army as they shouted battle cries in a language that sounded nothing but barbaric to the English. They were truly shaking in their bones when we clashed into them. Sigmund was the first to run into their ranks. He was a true berserker, for the minute it took from he reached the English until I did, he had broken through their rank and killed at least twenty. Sigmund do not wound, he kills.

Then I reached them and drew swords with the English for the first time in my life, I must say that there were more guts in the Swedes, maybe even the rebels, than there were in the English. I killed two or three before the rest of the army clashed into the English who had tried to stand ground and make a human shield. That shield was broken once we clashed into them. The cavalry now stroke on the flanks and behind them. Closing any possibility to escape. They still tried to get away, but we followed them until everyone of them lay dead on the fields. "Jaaa! Jaaa! Honor!!" the men cried out wildly as it was clear we had gained the day.

But as a king who truly fight among his men, he do not only share their glory, but also their losses. Many men I had fought with lay dead on the fields. Though fifteen thousand English were dead and only three thousand of ours, we still had losses both in dead and wounded. I shared their joy of victory but also their pain for dead brothers on the field. Sigmund was one of the wounded, he had bad wounds, a sword had gone deep into his flesh when a foe managed to stick him in the stomach. But he would survive this time, he would fight by my side in many coming battles...

Last edited:
"May God and Saint Olaf be on our side, for the rest of Europe is certainly not."

I love this line!

It did not take long time to capture Lancashire, our brave warriors stormed the city walls after besiegeing the town for a few weeks. My troops needed rest so we stayed in Lancashire until october. We looted the city while we were there, food and treasury was taken, wimen were used and the men there were killed. The day before we headed east for Jorvik, I got a letter from my general oi the German campaign, Olav Galle.

To his imperial majesty, King Yngvar the Conqueror

I write to you now my lord, in this glorious time of our nation, to tell you about the latest events from the German campaign and my wishes for the future if I may. I have not seen my wife and children in three years now my lord, to God I pray I will see them again soon, and feel the touch of my beloved Heidi. I miss the smell of the sea in Lofoten, the market in Vågan I used to ride to on good days, yes even the sour smell of fish I long for now. It is all vague and long gone in my memory, I plee to you my lord that it will not be long till I see beloved Norway again. I am sorry to disturb you with those matters, so let me rather tell you news from the war.

As you know my lord, the war in Germany has consisted of much marching, forth and back between the provinces. We had captured Magdeburg from Brandenburg and Hannover from, well, Hannover. Hannover still had an army in Oldenburg that I sought to deal with. The men had marched for many days, they had been in Germany for months, even years for some. I had not seen a single re-inforcement for over a year when I took the army into Oldenburg. Yet, with a tired army of twelve thousand men, wanting nothing but to go home, they all fought as if Saint Olaf himself had come down to earth and fought in their stead. Fifteen thousand Germans were defeated by our brave men, it was a great victory. Hannover fought to the last men, but still only two thousand Norwegians died in the battle.

My lord, I had doubts when ordering the assault of the castle. But I understood our nation could not afford arming more men, so I could do nothing else but assaulting the castle. The men were exhausted from the battle, but did not even come with one complain when I told them we should assault. I believe respect and honor stands deep in these men's hearts. The castle was assaulted on the 5th of october, and we won once again. But now the army in Germany only consists of seven thousand, but Hannover were defeated. I am sure you would not doubt my decicion to offer peace with Hannover when it made Oldenburg a part of your glorious realm, and Hannover your humble vassals.

I ask now, that I can go home, at least for a month, before taking command of these forces again. And would it be too much to ask for these men to be able to go home? They are men from all over the kingdom, Danes and Swedes as well as Norwegians, they are all men from your great empire, the Northern Kingdom. You have a foothold on Germany now, and from that I am sure we will continiue expanding into Europe. I humbly suggest my lord that you focus on England now, I will get back to Germany, just let me see our beloved Norway once more, it might be the last time.

~Your forever loyal general, Olav Galle~

Though I think he approached me rather boldly, he was a good general and he had not too bad ideas. Of course he could go home for a short vacation, a month pherhaps. The men could not be relieved until the war with Brandenburg was over however, they had to be ready to defend the occupied province of Magdeburg until Olav got back with re-inforcements and an offencive could be taken. He might be right in his views upon the Danes as fellow country-men. But as for the Swedes, that will not happen until they learn not to revolt. I put out an issue soon after for the council, that they make all Danes from the provinces of Jylland, Sjælland and Skåne rightfull citizens of the Northern Kingdom. "May they proove themselves worthy Northmen from now as their rights will be the same as Norwegians and Icelanders." I wrote in the end of my letter to the council.
The council of course were only there to give advises, they had no rights to deny my words. The people were free and the burghers had many rights, but my word stood above all, and could take away everyone's rights in a second.

rather autocratic isn't he?

though I note a distressing lack of mead in some of the more recent posts ;)

rather autocratic isn't he?

though I note a distressing lack of mead in some of the more recent posts

Yes, he's quite autocratic. If he lived today he would be called a cruel despot of a warmonger, but back then, a good and just king :)

Don't worry about the old man's drinking habits, he's still drinking while telling the tale :) Don't think I got the time for updates today, but I will definately post one tomorrow.

~The reconquest of Jorvik~

It was time to leave Lancashire, it had only been a temporary goal for this journey, the peace with England would not be made until we had re-taken Jorvik and driven them completely out of Vinland.
Our army in the west was large, probably the largest Norway had ever field in one place before. It was thirty five thousand of us when we set out from Oslo, and it was still around thirty thousand left of us.

The winter had almost begun when the brave men of the north arrived in Jorvik, or York as you call it. The time had come, it was now time to take back what was ours, the land in England where the Northmen first settled, Jorvik.

The English was more prepared this time, they had rallied their entire army in Jorvik while we besieged Lancashire. I tought pherhaps they were up for a real fight this time, and not run like little girls. The entire English army, except for a few thousand stationed in Vinland, was still smaller than the half of ours, which consisted of the thirty thousand stationed in England.

The time of English power were nearing an end as the armies entered the field of battle. There was no hesitation, no negotiation. The two armies just ran into eachother with all they got. Of course, we had more men, braver men and better weapons, victory was inevitable. It did not take many hours after we entered Yorkshire until we were hammering the gates of Jorvik "Hey, Englishmen, open the gate. We have come to take your town!".

It was a good feeling to finally enter this city we had set out for, though after a long siege.The English king of course, sitting relatively safe in London did not want to peacefully cede the two provinces to us. So I decided quickly that we needed something to "negotiate" with. The war was brought to the new world in the beginning of the next year, Norway was surpreme in the northern parts of Vinland in december 1527, and two months earlier, the siege of Northumbria had begun.

It would take almost a year though, to get the stubborn English to sign the peace treaty, and it was not signed until after Northumbria and Lincoln had been captured and their entire navy had been sunk. The peace gave us Lancashire, Yorkshire, Conecticut and Chesapeake. A peace was finally made with the English on the 7th of april 1528, and it was not left without results.

Looking over a map of the New World while pouring in many horns of the finest mead, I found a pleasant sight, we were the only Europeans in the western world as we knew it, except for some Spanish land in the very south. We held eight provinces south of the Skrælings (Bahamas, Everglades, Seminole, Tuscaloosa, Biloxi, Bayou, Withchita and Matagorda), plus, Erlend was already on good way north, towards the deep heart of Vinland. North of the Skræling nations we held too much land to even mention all, around twenty five provinces we had there, and it would become much more over the following years.

Other disturbing events had happened during the latest years, Pommern had changed its religion to protestantic heretism, the religion of the Swedes as we called it. Never shall Norway change!
While I mention Swedes, they rose up once more, only to be defeated after a few months by Harald the Black somewhen in 1527, would they never learn?

OOC: A short update this was, but I am not a very fast writer on late saturday, after pouring in many horns of mead (glasses of beer that is) ;)

Heh. It' the Jorvik festival next month, a friend of mine's going to be there in a longboat ;)

This certainly doesn't read like your first AAR! I have been slowly trying to catch up on some EUII AARs and finally caught this one. Very nicely done so far. Lot's of drinking, messing around and battle. Just the way I like it! :D

Heh. It' the Jorvik festival next month, a friend of mine's going to be there in a longboat

Hehe, I have heard something about that festival, sort of a re-creation of battles right?

21st of February, late at night

Yngvar stood up from the chear which he had been sitting in the whole day, telling the tale to Charles.

Yngvar: "I am beginning to get tired, I shall go to sleep now."

Charles: "Tell me more please, I cannot sleep until I hear the end."

"Have patience my friend, if you want to know more you can read the historical chronologies from the following twenty years. And when I wake up, I shall tell you the rest."

Yngvar went to his room and came back with a book that he gave to Charles. He did not say anything but got back into the room and fell asleep once he got in his comfortable bed.

The book was opened when Charles got it in his hands, he had a look at the title of the book "The History of Norway, by Gorm Skriftlærde". It was a book covering all the history from 860 to 1560, seven hundred years of history. Surely he could not read all until Yngvar woke up, but he would read about the years after the first English campaign.

He started reading the page where Yngvar had left a marker, the book was of course, translated into Latin for foreign readers.

~The History of Norway, chapter 16, page 723~

The Northern Kingdom was in an external good position to some degree in april 1528. The military had proved its power towards other nations and King Yngvar had truly gained reputition in all of Europe. Though he had not gained love from the other kings, he had gained the things of importance, respect and fear. One may look at the conquest of Lancashire and Yorkshire and state that there were no intentions of going further into England, but the king had a vision and this vision was conquest and glory for his empire and the people of the north. In order to achieve such, military expansion was aquired, and England was the perfect goal.

But how could the Northern Kingdom with its bad economy and internal crizis such as rebellions from the conquered lands and open protests from the homelands of Norway and Denmark against heavy war taxes?
The question cannot be answered directly, but if we look upon those different factors that lead to the haydays of the Northern Kingdom, we will only be left with one factor, the king himself.

King Yngvar's great-grandfather had been pre-occupied with freeing the nation and protect it from invading Swedes and Danes. His grandfather had subdued the Danes and kept the realm together with an iron fist, thus the add name for King Håvard, Hardråda, meaning Hardruler. His father had come with a new vision, the unification of Scandinavia. In the true spirit of a northern unifier he had sware and oath in the christmas of 1501 not to cut his hair or beard until the Swedes were finally subdued, this proving that the war was planed almost four years before it was declared. The fact that he died in battle before unifying all of Scandinavia left him with a remarkable long hair and beard, had he not been named Sjur the Brave, it would certainly be Sjur the Hairy.

And then, after the death of his father, King Yngvar I (later to be known as the Conqueror), rose to the throne in Norway. He was a very young man, crowned at fourteen of age and had no actual plans at the moment for what the future would bring to Norway. But he had excellent advisors and soon he became a man of great vision as it is written earlier in this chapter about the king.

Though the economy was crippled, and the revolts raged throughout the empire, it would all change during the reign of King Yngvar. He would turn the tide of bancruptcies, switch the economy from minus to plus, and still be able to maintain the large army of 60,000 that was left him at his father's death, yes even doubble it. The bad economy turned around gradually, especially between the years from the New Danelag peace of april 1528 and until around 1533 when the need for loans expired for eternity, the state economy of Norway had now gained an upperhand.

Let us take a look at the internal problems within the empire for the years between 1528 and 1535, while rebellions were frequently raging throughout the Norwegian posessions in the earliest of these years they were practically gone by 1535. A focus had been kept on stability these years and except for a few revolts in the newly aquired provinces in Germany and England, the rebels had nearly ceased to exist. There were great reforms in these years and one last was finally proclaimed by our just king about the freedom of the people as the year 1530 came to an end. As his father before had gradually increased the rights of the subjects, King Yngvar ended the task, finally freeing the innhabitants of the north completely from any form of serfdom.
As he said in his speeches to the people both in Oslo, Bjørgvin, Trondheim, København and Stockholm, let me quote the great man now,
"Northmen I talk to you all now, for you are all my fellow brothers and sisters. I speak to nobles, bishops, priests, merchants, farmers and last but not least, you brave warriors. I hereby claim that all men in my realm is left with the same rights, now may you all choose wisely how to use those rights as the free people you are, innhabitants of the Northern Kingdom."
We can clearly see that this was when Norway just became the center of a nation including much more land, the Northern Kingdom was proclaimed and new times would begin, the people of the provinces would gradually end their hopeless rebellions and became Northmen on the same line as Norwegians.

The kingdom started to gain more and more land in Germany at this time too, in order to gain a foothold to mount new expansion. Magdeburg and Kürstin was given to the Northern Kingdom as a peace was made with Brandenburg in december 1530. That peace would not last long however because King Yngvar broke the peace treaty with them in late 1533 and annexed them within half a year, along with Hannover. A last Swedish re-appearance took place in 1534, but was defeated within months. This was to be the very last of them, as the merciful king pardoned the leader of the rebellion and gave him a seat in the council.

In Vinland, Erlend of Losna had made contact with some Skrælings called Dakota in 1534 on his march from the south coast towards the other Norse posessions. The Dakota pagans denied them passage through their land so the conquistadores attacked them and made their way through. Erlend and his band of adventurers managed to slip away from the main army of the Skrælings so a peace was made and the Northmen continiued northwards and reached the sea in January 1535, expansion continiued rapidly in the west.

On the personal level of the great king, his French wife died, leaving Mary the only queen in the kingdom in 1530, a new son was born to King Yngvar by his Scottish wife in 1533, he was named Eirik also a third son was borned two years after, in January 1535, his name was Håvard. The future now looked bright for this great empire, and it would continiue to expand for the following years.

If someone wants to see screenshots, the only way I see it is that I for example send them via email to someone. If you have a site you can put it on, since my arctic network don't do any good...

Last edited:
This certainly doesn't read like your first AAR! I have been slowly trying to catch up on some EUII AARs and finally caught this one. Very nicely done so far. Lot's of drinking, messing around and battle. Just the way I like it!

Thanks for the comments, it is indeed my first AAR, and it is based on my first real game of EUII. Glad to hear you like drinking and action, so do I :)

King Yngvar said:
Hehe, I have heard something about that festival, sort of a re-creation of battles right?

Basically. People dress up in costume and pretend doing all this in a Yorkshire February is a sensible idea. Or not dress up and pretend doing it is sensible. Basically a deal of fun is had by all.