• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
17. 1916-1919, The Great War: The Final Straw

With the Russian victory behind them, The Persian Army was quick to withdraw from Russia and reposition itself on the border of Ethiopia. On September 9th of 1916, Persia declared war once again. By October 4th, they controlled Gondar. Eight days later, the British finally declared war on Persia. China was quick to come to her ally’s defense and the world war continued.

Allied War Plans
UKWar.jpg

As Persian forces were quickly subduing what little army the Ethiopians possessed, Abbas Ali instructed his western armies to converge on Delhi. With a few short victories, the hope was to cut Britain’s path through northeast India, forcing them to assault by sea. By November, The Persian Army was in control of most of Ethiopia and had taken both Delhi and Panipat. Once Agra fell the next month, a line was now set and the Indian front could move forward without fear of the British sneaking behind the lines. December 27th brought the annexation of Ethiopia and states were quickly set up to administer the building projects and other changes the Persians would bring. And Kanpur was taken setting the Persians up for a strong push the next year.

But 1917 brought Persia her first failures. The Persian Navy was simply inadequate to deal with His Majesty’s Royal Navy. Further, British reinforcements had arrived bringing the numbers of troops in India up considerably. Abbas Ali was twice forced to withdraw from battle in Jabalpur so that he could reinforce his own troops and attack again with sufficient numbers.

By this time, it called for a decision. The line in India was stalled at Kanpur. They could try to push through and break the strong British forces in Allahabad, thus hopefully meeting up with China, who was steadily approaching from the east, or they could go to the west and cut the interior off from the sea and thus further reinforcements. Abbas Ali decided on the latter. Leaving a strong enough force in Kampur, he pushed west into Jabalpur once more. This time, his numbers beat the British by three to one and he pushed them out on June 15th.

The hot summer months were greeted with Russia’s entrance into the European war on the French side and the Ottoman’s entrance on the German side, yet the United Kingdom was too busy in the south to enter herself. Several divisions were finally able to break the British in Allahabad and Abbas Ali ordered these men to dig in. The Chinese would eventually push the British towards them rather than the Persian Army chasing them around.

Yet the western drive was running into trouble. Seven divisions were defeated in August in Hoshangabad. Furious at his army’s performance, Abbas Ali called up fresh recruits of 100,000 more men. By December, they were armed and sent to the front. After taking control of Varanisi, and seeing the British reject a modest peace proposal, he sent them into Hoshangabad once more. Within a month, they had defeated the British and taken the province.

In February of 1918, peace would be made in Europe. Germany had reduced France to a mere shell of its former self, Spain was in economic shatters and Russia faced massive revolts at home. Germany took possession of 13 further French provinces and colonies, thus cementing her dominance of the continent. Persia, at that moment was attacking Bombay.

By March, Bombay and Surat had come under Persian control and a British officer defected to the Persian side. With his knowledge of war plans, the Persians were to move quicker down the coast. In May, Puce was taken. In June, it was Kolhapur. July saw Sholapur fall and in August it was Balgaum. British attacks in both Jabalpur and Varnisi, coming from protectorate lands were repelled with ease. Mangalore fell in September and Calicut in October.

China had sent several crack divisions for the Persians to use as guards while the bulk of her Army took control of the remaining British positions. By the end of the year, China and Persia controlled most of British India, the Army of the Sudan had taken the British colonies in Central Africa and Abbas Ali had 70,000 more men to throw at them. With further assistance from Chinese guards, partisans were kept minimized and it appeared only a matter of time before the British accepted defeat.

But the United Kingdom was proud. David Lloyd George, working with some of the best men available refused to give up the fight. In 1919, the British began a counteroffensive. They were able to gain a stronghold in Surat, on the northeast coast. Beating the Persians and retaking the province, they began ferrying more men in an attempt to cut the southern armies from the north. But Abbas Ali would deny them this hope. Pouring close to 500,000 men into Surat between January 28th and February 15th, he was able to claim victory and retake it by March.

Peace offer after peace offer was sent to the United Kingdom. Seven in all were sent and seven were turned down. By the final attempt, Abbas Ali was only asking for Agra, Panipat and Delhi. The British were having none of it. Adding to the trouble, the peoples of the various occupied territories in the Empire were beginning to show renewed signs of nationalism. Kurds, Afghanis, Baluchi, Egyptians and more would begin the process of revolting, forcing the army to move out of defensive positions and stay constantly on the march.

By July 15th, 1919 the war indemnities with Russia had run out. Even though they had suffered under rebellion, Abbas Ali would take no chance that they might resume war with Persia. He wanted to free his armies up to fight rebellion at home and possible invasion from the north. He sent word that he wished to meet with British diplomats in the Mediterranean to offer a possible deal and bring peace once again. Though skeptical of Ali’s motives, Lloyd George wished to end hostilities as well and, at the suggestion of Arthur Balfour, Henry Strachen was asked to travel with the diplomatic team. On July 22nd, the two sides met on the island of Crete hoping to come to a fair deal and conclude this terrible war.

To the lands of Minotaur. Seems an unlikely place for peace negotiations.

A little feedback-feedback -

Amric, Semi-Lobster and stynlan - thank you gentlemen for reading and commenting.

As for Crete, I figured it was central enough for both sides to agree upon, plus Henry couldn't travel all the way to India. Hell, I have some reservations about him even going overseas at all. But the island plays into this whole mess in some crazy way. ;)

Next Interlude may not be up until tomorrow. Sorry to leave you dangling like that, but think of it as a cliffhanger. "Tune in next week, Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel." :D

A different type of WW for the British. Crete doesn’t sound that strange to me really though I have some suspicions that you will not get any peace deal, just a feeling:cool:

Keep up the good work
:)

Thanks Judge. And thanks for the plug in the Tea Room too. Things just went haywire during these years so I felt I had to build some sort of 'great war' scenario out of it, especially after the Brits got sick of my warmongering ways and finally came after me.

As for the peace deal, well, I have not had much of a chance to really spend much in-depth time with the writing of this during the week, nor does it appear that I will until this weekend. I don't want to just throw something up there just to wrap it up since I feel like I've been able to build a pretty good arc in the Interludes. So, in order to give these last few bits the love that they deserve, look for the next Interlude Sat. or Sun. (maybe sooner but RL isn't cooperating with my schedule like it's supposed to. :mad: )

In the meantime - I guess I can ease everyone's obvious antica...(say it, say it)...pation over the trivia question. Once again, the quote was:
Though the age of eighty-one, Henry Strachen would once again help his country. But this time it was for the King and St. George. Perhaps soon, it might also include God.
This was in honor of an AAR entitled For God, The King and Saint George, by Ariel. His earlier original EU AAR, An English AAR: Something a little different..? was the first one I ever read and I recall getting several odd looks from my family as I sat and read page after page of the printed copy. Anyway, he no longer visits the forum as far as I know, but since he was my original inspiration, I thought it might be neat to include that little bit in his honor. So, I guess I get the beer, but I'll still spring for one if I ever see any of you good folks! :)

Thanks to everyone who has read and commented throughout and there is still time to vote on country #3 in Holy Trinity. :D

Interlude
July 1919

crete1.jpg

The afternoon sun was shining through the shutters on the windows leaving long streaks over the table. With Abbas Ali seated between Henry and this light, it almost appeared as though the Persian Prime Minister had a halo around him. Henry was tired and these types of images would appear to him from time to time when we required sleep.

Also across the table from Henry sat two of Ali’s most trusted advisors and ministers. They sat silently during the meeting while Ali and Balfour spoke. Arthur Balfour was seated to Henry’s right and on Balfour’s other side was a young diplomat assigned directly by Lloyd George, no doubt his mouthpiece for these dealings. Occasionally the young man would try to speak up on a point but was hurriedly silenced by his elder.

The meeting had not gone well, as Arthur Balfour was a skilled negotiator and so was Abbas Ali. For close to two hours, they swapped issues on what might satisfy the other side, every time coming to naught. At least twice, Henry had nodded of, but awoke from a gentle prodding by Balfour. It was apparent to all in the room that Henry Strachen was no longer the healthy young man that had served successive generations of Persian Shahs.

This Henry Strachen was a man who had cheated death for several years, kept only alive by the notion that his beloved United Kingdom would ultimately win out over the aggression of Persia and her leaders. The war still fought dispelled any notion of victory for most men, and truth be told, Henry no longer believed in victory either.

Abbas Ali had been going on for a few minutes about the will of his Army and their undying love for Ahmed Shah. They would not put down their arms without something to show for it. As he hit upon the same note for the third time, finally Balfour interjected,

“Sir, though I am keenly interested in your soldiers heart to fight this blasted war, I see no reason to dwell on this for the hundredth time. I do not see where this can go, unless you merely wish us to give in, which we will not do.”

“But you have no choice, Mr. Balfour. I am afraid your army in India has lost. Do you plan on invading Iran itself? If so, you had better be sure you put every last British individual in uniform for such a task; for rest assured, every man and woman in Iran will fight you to the death.”

Balfour sighed and looked down at the notes in front of him. The young man next to him spoke up, “If we were about to invade, sir, I dare say we would not inform you of this.”

“Quiet Mr. Franklin. Please. This gets us nowhere just as quickly,” Balfour suggested rather strongly. He was quite past having to reprimand young Franklin in front of the negotiators. Turning back to Ali, he spoke once more, “Sir, may I press you once again regarding your hopes for this meeting, outside of an end to the hostilities, obviously?”

Ali grew rather angry at this, as he felt it was a stalling tactic, “I have suggested several times already, sir, what my hopes are. However, since you seem quite slow in understanding them, I will repeat them for a final time. We wish for you to leave us alone and allow us to tend to our own affairs unencumbered by the fear that you might intervene once again. We must have this assurance.”

“Do you mean to suggest that your travels in India have not already satiated your thirst, sir?”

“I do,” Ali matter-of-factly replied.

“What more could you possibly be looking for? What other peoples can you put under your thumb, sir?” Balfour was becoming visibly angry himself.

“Not that it is any of your business, sir, but we feel that the areas of northwest India are rightly ours and not that of your King. You give these petty rulers protection allowing them to keep their people, who more resemble us, subjugated. We can give them a better life, but not if you and yours continue to interfere.”

“Sir, these are mostly Hindu people. They no more belong under the yoke of Islam than they do under these ‘petty rulers’ as you so eloquently put it.”

“We have a multitude of people and beliefs as part of our grand empire. And they have lived together in splendid harmony until your kingdom stuck its snout into the trough.”

Mr. Franklin rose from the table and slammed his fist upon it, “Damn it man, how much more destruction can you bring to the world?”

Ali looked at him calmly. “Son, I believe your elder has had quite enough of you as have I. If you cannot contribute to the conversation, then I suggest you leave the meeting until such time as you are more in control of your self.”

Balfour rose intending to actually stand up for the young man, but before he could speak, he heard Henry beside him,

“Give it to him!”

In disbelief, he turned to Henry, “What did you say?”

In a raspy voice Henry said it again, “I said give it to him, dammit! Just give him what he asks for because they will take it anyway.” Henry turned to Ali and asked, “What would you consider to pass our way if we allowed this freedom of movement that you ask for?”

Ali thought for a moment and took a drink from his water glass. In a shaky hand, Henry followed suit. After a moment, Ali spoke, “We might be able to reach a settlement on land in Africa. Some small colony, as we have no desire to push further than we have in this region. What land would satisfy you?”

“This island,” Henry said plainly. Somewhat taken aback, Ali asked him to repeat himself. “You will give us this island for your freedom of movement in upper India. Your people are not from here nor do they reside here. You must maintain a garrison to keep the peace. Eventually it will require more. It is a simple tradeoff.”

Balfour still did not believe what he was hearing and spoke strongly, “Henry, we can not give this assurance. The Prime Minister will never go for it. Besides, I do not see the worth of this place in relation to the years we have spent with the Raj.”

“Gentlemen,” Henry asked the Persians, “I wonder if you could excuse us for a moment. I can assure you it will not take long. Perhaps a quick walk around the hall. I noticed many splendid renditions of the ancient Minoan culture out there.”

Ali quickly agreed with Henry and with his ministers departed the room. Henry was in a wheelchair, as he could no longer walk. His arms were slightly stronger than the rest of his body from having to maneuver the thing and he quickly turned it to face Balfour and young Franklin.

“Arthur, this is the price we have paid for the feckless policies over these past many years. Still we do nothing about the Germans and I am sorry to say, welcome as this endeavor was, it was done too late. We waited to show strength until we no longer possessed such. For this, we will pay. And not just today. For tomorrow, it will be rights for all of India. And the day after it will be the remainder of Asia, or Africa, or anywhere the Shah of Persia sets his sights.”

“Henry, I do not disagree with you, but we stand on principle here. We cannot…”

“Principle! We know nothing of this. It was nowhere to be found when Afghanistan was overcome. It was forfeit when Mesopotamia fell. It was surely not in evidence when Egypt became part of the empire. And dare I remind you that you yourself were the Prime Minister that allowed that fiasco? It is lost. We can surely continue to send fine British to die far a field, but what is the purpose now? Just to see them dead?”

Balfour looked dejected, as he knew Henry spoke the truth. Franklin, however, was having none of it. He had been reticent to speak out towards Henry but with this last bit he had heard enough,

“Sir, I will gladly lay down my life to see that these barbarians do not conquer the world.”

“The world? The world? They have done so already. We were the only country willing to stand up to them and they have put us in our place in a mere three years. With their numbers combined with the Chinese, we are no match. Perhaps when you are older young man, you will understand this. But today, you are of no consequence. You may tell your man in London all you like, but Lloyd George will hear this from me and he will listen. I have given my life to forging better relations between these people and ours. I have lost my only love for that very reason. I have spent these past years imploring anyone that would listen that we must act and act quickly. And for what? To see this day come and have nothing to show for it but death?”

No one spoke. Henry looked tired and reached for his water as he could tell his voice would not hold up without it. Balfour sat and put his head in his hands. Franklin just stared at Henry Strachen, his mouth open but with no words to refute what Henry had said.

“Gentlemen, the plan is up. Let us not commit suicide any further. We know this man’s game and given time, we may be able to devise some form of standing against it, but at present, we are, like myself, too weak. It’s best to clear the board and start a new match. At least we can save the pour souls of this ancient Isle.”

After a few more moments, Abbas Ali stuck his head in the door to see if he could return to the meeting. “Have you gentlemen reached a consensuses?”

Henry turned to him and answered, “I believe we have...Arthur?” Balfour took in a deep breath and upon exhaling, suggested that they had. With a few more details hammered out, the document was prepared. They were to trade military rights and unfettered action in northwest regions of India in exchange for the island of Crete to pass into British hands. With trepidation, Arthur Balfour signed it. As he finished the last swirl on his R, he looked at Henry,

“I do hope we have done properly here, Henry. But I fear we have not.”

“We passed proper many years back, old friend. Now is the time to wipe away our tears and rebuild, don’t you know. And it can be done,” Henry replied with a wry smile, knowing that he may not have been able to say ‘checkmate’, but that he was very close to check. Within a few more moves, Persian forces would be spread thin enough to get his Queen back. He expected neither side to keep his word.

Abbas Ali raised his glass and suggested that the others join him. The three men did not acknowledge his wish and simply left the room with sullen faces. Beaten…but alive to fight another day.

Excellent. I see Henry turned sentimental in the end. Or is there more?

Semi-Lobster - Thank you, sir. It would indeed be interesting to see such, but I think their dominance would not last forever. As you will see, it quickly begins to fall apart before the end of 1920.

stynlan - Sentimental? Perhaps, but I would think more determined, or as determined as he could be at his age.

There is indeed more. I have two more posts and I will put them both up back to back. Let me give them one more pass, apply screenies and then we will be through.

And thanks, once more, for all of the support, encouragement and interest I have received on this. :D

18. 1919-1920, The Indian Wars

With the signing of the Anglo-Persian Accord, Abbas Ali was now able to turn his attention towards the homeland again. Massive unrest was in evidence all over the Empire. The month of the signing itself brought six successive revolts. The months that followed were no less severe.

Ali quickly thanked his Chinese allies with several gifts and an agreement to sell the province of Tomsk to the Chinese for their colony of Taldyqorghan. A state was set up in the Kazakh region, thus fortifying the full Russian border. The loss of Crete was actually a positive step as it allowed the division stationed there to move to the Egyptian mainland. However, Abbas Ali did not like the British so close if a new invasion might come.

His agreement did allow for some time, however, and thus when Germany declared war on neighboring Belgium late in 1919, Ali followed with a declaration of his own on the provincial government of Kokand. With the Persian Army spread out all over the Empire, quelling revolts and waiting for more, the Eastern Army of Persia quickly subdued the unprotected country and annexed her by November.

Even though the assembly was furiously trying to build enough railroads and other infrastructure across the new territories, both north and south, rebellion continued. Once a month, a province would fall, and soon after the army would arrive to take back the area.

In December, Germany stripped Belgium of most of her territory. Ali took it as a moments respite to quell unrest. Having a multitude of regional divisions, it was easy to follow the gangs of violence. Funds were not an issue, but even the promise of possible governmental healthcare was not enough to calm the populace.

As the new year of 1920 began, Abbas Ali decided that he had waited long enough. After ensuring that he had enough divisions to continue the seeming civil war, he sent word to Bikaner that they would soon be part of the Persian Empire. Only one province to the east of Kalat, it was easily taken and annexed. The British would honor their promise to Bikaner by declaring war, but would further honor their commitment to the Anglo-Persian Accord, unknown to the peoples of the protectorate.

On the same day that Bikaner was annexed, Ali declared war on neighboring Jaisalmer. And two weeks later, the victim was Jodhpur, not considered civilized by the modern world. This time no one came to her aid, diplomatically or militarily. By July of 1920, both were part of the Empire of Persia.

Not two days later, Beroda became the latest aim for Abbas Ali. The three province British satellite along the coast was an attractive target and one Ali had desired for some time. Once again, even the British showed no signs of support. It appeared that Ali had scored a coup at the negotiations. Little did he know that the British government was working with the Austrian, Russian and Turkish governments to develop an entente that could challenge the Empire.

When Beroda was annexed in October, Spain was invited into the allied pact. No one was strong enough to act yet, but possibly soon. China made sure it was known that they were watching by warning Russia on colonial development. Abbas Ali was thankful for the show of friendship, as he needed all of his forces for military action at home.

By December of 1920, almost half of the Empire was in rebellion. Over a million Persian soldiers were in uniform and the rest seemed to be at war with them. Those stuck in the middle tried to keep to themselves and simply do their daily job. The treasury did not seem to suffer, but the people were finally tired of seeing nothing for their efforts but national greed.

Though the Empire was covered in railroad and the welfare of the people seen after by the Shah, the age of Nationalism was here. It had needed eighty-five years to bring the Empire together, but after gaining the wisdom and education provided by such, the people were now to launch their own war of aggression. Socialists, Communists, Reactionaries and Anarchists were all united in the attempt to finally bring down the Shah and declare their own independence, turning back all that the previous Shahs had done.

Ali would not listen to their ideas. He was planning an assault on neighboring Tripoli. They too were under revolt and would be easy pickings. The year ended with his command to cross the border. At this time, the members of the Entente were making further plans to both resist Persia in Asia and Africa, and to assist the small countries of Western Europe against Germany. Within five years, the Great War of the previous decade would now be considered World War I. The war that ensued would be the second and first true world war. Many would consider it to be the war to end all wars.

Henry Strachen would not live to see this day.

Persia in 1920
Persia1920.jpg

Last edited:
Epilogue
January 1921

prologue.jpg

It was a sunny but crisp winter’s afternoon, and Henry Strachen had decided to visit the cemetery. He wished to see the final resting spot of his parents once more. He felt wrong not having seen to a proper burial for his beloved Letitia, but the Persian government had refused to return her remains. His visits here helped him overcome that shame.

As his servant Percy rolled Henry’s wheelchair down the path to the senior Strachen’s resting place, Henry enjoyed the warmth that he felt from the sun. He could no longer hear the birds chirping and animals running around, but he could sense life amongst the remains of the dead and this somehow made up for it.

Coming to Sir Peter’s headstone, Percy brought the chair to a stop and locked the wheel break.

“Shall I leave you for a moment, sir?”

“Yes, yes…please, for a moment.” Henry replied.

He sat looking at the marker before him and thought about his father. He thought about the life they both had led. He did not feel as accomplished or renowned as his father. He did not feel that his own life measured up. But it did not seem to matter. He had lived. He was the last surviving member of the Strachen family. He had spent his entire life trying to avoid the fate that befell his oldest brother. He had dedicated his life’s work to peace and understanding between nations. He had failed. But he had always stood true to his word. Spurned on in later life by the death of his beloved Letitia, he had worked even harder to fight against the will of others who stood by while tyrants and warmongers walked the earth.

His mind quickly moved to old friends, Alain Herold and old Petrovsky, his closest companion now, Arthur Balfour, and his newest friendship, the new foreign secretary Winston Churchill. These men had worked just as hard on the same endeavors. And many at the urging of Henry himself. He realized that in the end, he had stood with principle. He had accomplished something. It was his urging and friendships that would some day give rise to a greater strength and determination to resist those same tyrants and warmongers.

Henry smiled as he realized this. The sun passed behind a cloud and suddenly Henry felt a chill. He rested his head against the back of his chair and closing his eyes, took in one last breath of air. His heart stopped and his mind went dark. Soon a white light appeared before him and he rose from the chair and walked, as he had walked in his youth, towards it. He recognized that he was gone from the mortal plain and was entering the gates of heaven. His life had been useful. His deeds had been worthy. Though Henry Strachen had forsaken God many times over, God had never forsaken him.

For some reason, his thought turned to a passage he had once read about the great American General Thomas Jackson. On his deathbed he was heard to say, “Let us cross over and rest under the shade of trees.” Yes. It was now time for Henry to rest. As he thought of this, he spied a lone tree in the distance. Sitting down at its base, he closed his eyes. He was in the most blissful state his soul had ever achieved. As he basked in this warmth, he heard a sound in the distance. It was a voice that he had heard many times before, a lone feminine voice breaking through the silence, softly calling out…

“Henry…Henry…je t’aime.”

* * *​
The End

Last edited:
Cheers to coz1!! You have brought us an excellent AAR and I thank you! Henry is now with the women he loves for all eternity and it seems that the Persian empire will become so massive it will collapse upon itself like a black hole.

Very well written coz1, and a masterful ending scene. Restrained and poignant, and full of dignity, with a poetic turn of phrase.

A thoroughly enjoyable read, I hope there are many more to come.

stnylan and Semi-Lobster - thank you. Those are very kind words. You both have been supportive the entire way through and it's that kind of encouragement that has kept up my enjoyment of the whole process. Thank you very much, indeed.

Sniff....
So beautiful....
Truly great....

Sniff*dabs hankerchief on eye. What a great AAR! I'm no fan of the victorian era, (hell, im not even a fan of the game! The complexity drives me off! :p) but this AAR is brilliant. It truly captures the thoughts, motives and emotions of all those involved. And what can i say?

Simply brilliant :D

Well done indeed, and what a heart breaking ending. I have very much enjoyed this tale and it was fun to see the Persian Empire emerge. Glad that you have started another AAR already :)

thanks for a great AAR... and story.

it's inspiring me to want to try to do my own. however not with the same degree of skill I'm sure.

thanks