• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
jwolf Thanks. I have been enjoying trying to justify some of the quirks of the game. There was a rash of Alberts and Albrechts in the area in 1438-9 as well, but I couldn't think of anything to explain them, so I kind of glossed over it.

Farquharson Apparently Nicolas de Cusa really did believe that the heavenly bodies moved relative to each other, which was pretty radical stuff for the time. As some other people have said, its amazing what you can learn from trying to write an AAR.

Chapter 2, Part III
In which visits to the dungeons pay off

July 1444

Scene: The dungeons. Our heroes are being hurried along by two guards.

Bruce: Barry, how long has it been since Fred set us our last mission?

Barry: Well, it was before Ladislas was born, so I guess it'd be about five years.

Bruce: *looking grim* Yeah, thats what I thought. Why does he want us to come down here, do you think?

Barry: He wouldn't lock us up, would he?

Bruce: I reckon he would ...

The guards push the two of them into a small cell, which they find is already occupied by a tall blonde man, and Duke Friedrich, who seems to have somehow avoided picking up any dirt from the dungeons. Looking at themselves by the light of the lamps, Bruce and Barry can see that they have not been so lucky.

Bruce: You summoned us, my lord Duke?

Friedrich: I did. Once again, you have failed to complete your mission in the time allotted to you.

Bruce: Well, we did say it would be difficult to vassalise Hungary, what with them not actually liking us all that much.

Friedrich: Did you even try?

Barry: In reference to that mission, and taking due care to ensure the economic stability of the realm, we acted with all due haste to achieve the goals laid out for us.

Friedrich: I'll take that as a yes. This is the ambassador from Brandenburg, Charles. Charles, perhaps you would like to tell these two fools what you did to be given this post?

Charles: My prince, the Prince of Brandenburg, ordered me to arrange a marriage between his brother and the niece of the King of Sweden. I was unable to do so.

Barry: Why not?

Charles: Have you ever met the niece of the King of Sweden?

Barry: I have not had that pleasure.

Charles: Well, believe me when I say its not a pleasure. She has a limp, a humped back, three black teeth. *shudders* I chose to come here instead.

Friedrich: So, you can see what fate awaits you if you fail in the mission I am about to set you. I believe the Poles recently returned our last ambassador ... well, most of him anyway. Unless you want to be the next ambassadors to Poland, I demand that you arrange a royal marriage with Brandenburg.

Barry: We shall do our very best, my lord.

Bruce: Could I just have a word with Charles here on that very matter?

Friedrich: By all means.

Bruce: Just before I do, my Lord Duke, is your sister Marie Celeste still unmarried?

Friedrich: Yes, for her to marry anyone in Austria would weaken my position on the regency council, and dangerously strengthen her husband's.

Bruce: Thats what I thought. Now, Charles, this brother of the Prince who was supposed to marry off, what was his name?

Charles: Charles.

Bruce: Was it you, by any chance?

Charles: Yes, yes it was me.

Bruce: *hands Charles a scroll of canvas* What do you think of her?

Charles unrolls the small canvas, and holds it up to the light. He wolfwhistles softly.

Bruce: I'll take that as a yes, then?

Barry: Why do you have a picture of Fred's sister, Bruce?

Bruce: It never hurts to be prepared, Barry.

Barry: *glancing over Charles shoulder* And why doesn't she have any clothes on?

Friedrich: What?!

Bruce: Ummm ... Wrong picture! *snatching the canvas from Charles' hands, and handing him a new one* that is Marie Celeste.

Charles: Ohhh ... Well, she is fair enough, I suppose. Yes, I could marry her.

Bruce: *tucking the other picture into his jacket* And Friedrich, do you consent to have your sister marry the brother of the Prince of Brandenburg?

Friedrich: Yes, she will be safely out of the way up there.

Bruce: Then thats all settled. I'll have a chat with the archbishop, and see if we can get the wedding sorted out for ... lets say four days from now, OK?

Barry: Nice one Bruce.

January 1445

Scene: A comfortable looking room, somewhat marred by the lack of a window. A blonde man is seated at a desk, reading by lamplight.

A flagstone in the floor gets pushed aside, and the narrator, slightly dishevelled, sticks his head out of a hole that was apparently under the flagstone.

Narrator: Following the annexation of Milan, Austria's relations with the world had soured somewhat. Thanks to some carefully worded letters, and some rather hefty bribes, Bruce was able to gradually improve relations. Bruce paid special attention to the relations with Bavaria. Finally, it led to this meeting.

Finished, the narrator returns to his hiding spot. Bruce and Barry enter the room, closing the door behind them.

Barry: I trust you have found the room to be comfortable, your excellency?

Bavarian Ambassador: Oh yes, much better than the cell I was in before. If only there were a window, I would almost believe I was no longer in the dungeons.

Bruce: Yes, well there is a limit to how much we can change I am afraid.

Barry: And you haven't made it easy for us ...

Bavarian Ambassador: How is that?

Bruce: Well you did reject our offer of annexation ...

Barry: Yes, that made a few people a bit unhappy around here, I must tell you.

Bavarian Ambassador: I had to do what was best for my country.

Bruce: Of course you did, of course you did ...

Bruce withdraws a heavy looking purse from his pocket, and places it on the ambassador's table.

Bruce: We all want the best for Bavaria, so we in Austria have arranged a small gift ...

Bavarian Ambassador: *Opening the purse* There must be almost 40 ducats in here ..

Bruce: Yeah, about that. You should make sure that money gets to the government in Bayern. Unless ...

Bavarian Ambassador: Unless what?

Bruce: Well, if Bavaria was to accept annexation by Austria, there would cease to be a government in Bayern. And so there wouldn't be any one for you to hand that money over to.

Bavarian Ambassador: So I would return the money to you?

Bruce: *Under his breath* This was much easier with the Milanese Ambassador, he usually got the hint. *To the ambassador* No. Its in the budget. The money is no longer Austria's.

Bavarian Ambassador: So I could keep the money myself?

Bruce: Bye george, I think he's got it! ... That would be entirely your decision, your excellency.

Bavarian Ambassador: I see ... I am sure that the Bavarian government would appreciate the chance to become a part of greater Austria.

Bruce: I'm glad to hear it.

The flagstone is pushed aside again, and the narrator, hauls himself out of his hiding spot.

Narrator: As the ambassador has predicted, Bavaria was receptive to the annexation offer that was presented to them. Bavaria had been nervous about the threat posed by Bohemia, and had an army of almost 20,000 men stationed in Ansbach. Supporting this army was beyond the ability of Austria, so over 16,000 men were released from service. Naturally, this created a pool of discontented peasants in the province of Ansbach, and led in no small way to the serious revolts in that region that occurred in 1450 and 1451.

OOC:
Bayern: Pop 26,548, Income 23, Trade 0. Grain province
Ansbach: Pop 36,203, Income 19, Trade 11. Iron province

Good to hear of the continuing travails of Bruce and Barry ... excuse me, Wolfgang and Ludwig.

Chapter 2, Part IV
In which Barry and Bruce are rewarded for services rendered

December 1447

Scene: Bruce and Barry are relaxing in the library, with a beer each.

Bruce: Its been pretty quiet lately Barry. What have you been up to?

Barry: Well, I seem to have stopped the inflation rate growing any more.

Bruce: Is that it?

Barry: Pretty much. Why, have you been up to something.

Bruce: Oh just the usual. A couple of royal marriages sorted out, renewed the alliance with Savoy and Mantua. A couple of revolts in Lombardy. You know, same old, same old.

A young messenger arrives at the library door.

Messenger: My lords, I bring you tidings from the latest meeting of the regency council.

Barry: Aren't we supposed to be on that?

Bruce: Don't tell me we missed another meeting!

Barry: I guess we must have. Whats the message?

Messenger: The regents have agreed that you should each receive one of the highest honours in the land. You are both to be granted membership of the Order of the Soaring Seagull.

Bruce: Whoopy-de-do.

Messenger: My lord, this entitles you to refer to yourself as a Duke.

Bruce: Thats better than nothing, I suppose.

Messenger: It is customary that the members of the order will also be granted a small manor, which will be passed on to their descendants in perpetuity, free from all taxes and tithes.

Bruce: Now we're talking!

Barry: *spluttering on his drink* Free of taxes! I'll put a stop to this kind of tax evasion!

Bruce: Lets not rush into anything, eh Barry? Will there be an awards ceremony?

Messenger: This would usually be the case, however the archduke has locked himself in his room and refuses to come out unless someone agrees to play dodgeball with him. The Duke Friedrich offered to perform the ceremony in his absence, but the others on the council have ruled that this would be improper. I have your medallions here.

The messenger hands over a pair of medals that look as if they are shaped like bird droppings.

Barry: Well, these are attractive, aren't they?

Messenger: Duke Leopold also asked me to ...

Bruce: Who's this Leopold bloke?

Messenger: You are not familiar with Duke Leopold von Haffnerefnerfeffenburg?

Barry: Is he an old bloke with a glass eye and a limp?

Bruce: Ohhh ... Leo! The guy who keeps yelling at me during in meetings?

Barry: Thats him.

Messenger: Yes. Anyway, he asked me to remind you that your attendance at the meetings of the regency council would be greatly appreciated.

August 1449

Scene: The Archducal throneroom. Nine-year-old Archduke Ladislas is seated on the throne. To his right, is the Archduke's cousin, Friedrich, looking resplendent as usual. Duke Leopold stands to the Archduke's left. Barry and Bruce approach the throne.

Ladislas: My uncle Friedrich tells me that he has set you a task. What did he make you do?

Barry: My lord, he asked us to arrange a royal marriage with Brandenburg.

Ladislas: And did you do it?

Barry: Yes, my lord.

Ladislas: *turning to Friedrich* Is this true? They succeeded in their last mission?

Friedrich nods slightly.

Ladislas: Then I think you can help me out. I have seen some paintings of the city of Milan, and I really want to go there and see it for myself. But Uncle Friedrich and Duke Leopold say that its not safe for me to go there. They say that the peasants there speak a different language, and that they might try to hurt me. Of course, I know that all of my subjects love me.

Bruce: It is true that the Milanese do not speak German, as you do, Ladi. But you would be in no danger in Milan. Why, just two years ago, 6,000 Milanese volunteered to join your army.

Friedrich: Yes, and then the province revolted.

Bruce: True, but all of those new soldiers had no trouble putting that revolt down.

Ladislas: See, Uncle Friedrich! It is safe there. I want to go!

Friedrich: The risks of a revolt are still too high.

Leopold: *watching Friedrich suspiciously* My lord, your uncle is right. The Milanese are still restless, and in any case, you are still a little young to make such a long journey.

Ladislas: *pouting* Then when?!

Leopold: Perhaps when you are a little older ...

Ladislas: Well Milan had better still be part of my lands then! Wolfgang and Ludwig, this is your mission. Make sure that the province of Lombardia stays under my control until Leopold and Uncle Friedrich let me go visit there.

And with a bit of luck, here is a screenshot, showing how things are going. Let me know if the image doesn't show up for you.

PoliticalMapJune1448.jpg

All the Scotland fans out there will be pleased to see that they have taken Zeeland. And Judas Maccabeus will be pleased to see that Baden is still proudly independent.

I think the boys need to work more on that boy - unless they want him to be known as Ladislas the Pouter ;)

Edit: screenie looks fine.

TimN said:
And Judas Maccabeus will be pleased to see that Baden is still proudly independent.

Sweet :cool:

That was almost as good to read as your last update!

(Err, in case you're wondering, that's a compliment. ;) )

stnylan I hadn't noticed what a wuss Ladislas was becoming. Obviously Bruce and Barry didn't pay attention to the old adage about not working with children or animals.

Farquharson I think the Scots are too busy performing some "traditional Celtic diplomacy" on the English to be bothered exploring the south seas.

Chapter 2, Part V
In which strange things are afoot in Mantua

September, 1450

Scene: A sumptuously appointed room, lit by rows of candelabra. A number of well dressed men are seated around a huge oak table. Amongst them, we recgnise Bruce and Barry, along with Duke Friedrich at the head of the table, and Duke Leopold, seated as far away from Friedrich as possible. Emperor Ladislas has a gold coin that he is spinning on the table while the discussion carries on around him.

Leopold: Duke Friedrich, I am tired of the way that you are pulling more and more power to yourself. The country won't stand for it.

Friedrich: We have taken decisions together within this council. I have not claimed more power for myself, I have claimed it on behalf of the Emperor. It is simply more efficient for more of the business of government to be carried out here in Vienna. Wolfgang here will vouch that this is wise policy.

Bruce and Barry look at each other.

Friedrich: *glaring at Barry* Is that not so, Wolfgang?

Barry: Thats DUKE Wolfgang now! But yes, it makes much more sense for us to centralise the government as much as possible. The people grow restless each time we change our policies, but they will get over it.

Friedrich: You see! And the people did get over it.

Leopold: The Styrian nobles who approached us in April, they did not get over it, did they?

Barry: No, but their complaint was a separate one. In any case, once we agreed to their claims, there was no problem.

Leopold: Well, they do seem happier now, I suppose.

Friedrich: If you are quite finished, Duke Leopold, I believer that ... Duke ... Ludwig also has some news for us.

Bruce: Yes, as you are aware, we vassalised the Mantuans during the Swiss War. And since that time, their relationship with us has grown from strength to strength. Just today, the Mantuans have sent us word that they are ready to become a part of Austria.

This catches Ladislas' attention.

Ladislas: Well done. Was there a big battle?

Bruce: Not since before you were born, Ladislas. The Mantuans are our friends now.

Ladislas: *looking disappointed* Oh ... Could we maybe have a small battle, anyway?

Bruce: I don't think that will be necessary now. The people would most likely rebel. They don't like us killing our friends like that. And although we could fight the rebels, it is not honourable to kill peasants during a revolt.

Ladislas: Oh, I suppose not. Nobody lets me go to Ansbach to fight the rebels there. *Pouting*

Leopold: It is for the best, my lord. It is for the army to deal with these things, and it is not permitted for boys under the age of 16 to join the army, so you see, you can't go to Ansbach.

Ladislas: I am Emperor, and its up to me to decide the rules!

Friedrich: *Smiling wolfishly* Perhaps we should let the boy go ...

Ladislas: *catching a glimpse of the look in his uncle's eyes* Ummm ... No, I think I might stay here after all. Its OK.

OOC:
Mantua: Pop 44,906, Income 18, Trade 1. Grain province

October 7, 1451

Scene: A throneroom, but compared to the throneroom in Vienna, this one is lighter and much more elegant. Classical perhaps. The throne is unoccupied. Barry and Bruce are seated behind a desk in font of the throne, but much lower than it. A queue of citizens snakes its way around the room. At an even lower desk to Barry's right, sits a very ancient looking scribe.

Bruce: Do I really have to be here for this? Its taxes. Its your job.

Barry: Its just easier if there are two of us. You can be a witness and all that.

Bruce: I thought the scribe was your witness?

Barry: Since we took over here in Mantua, the local populace has been a bit uneasy, and the scribe isn't much chop at keeping the peace.

Bruce: *grumbling* You could have just asked for a couple of soldiers.

Barry: Just do me a favour, OK Bruce?

The merchant standing in front of Barry coughs politely.

Barry: Yes? Ahhh ... I see you are claiming a tax deduction for a donation made to a travelling priest.

Merchant: Yes, I gave a coin to Matthew Carreri, and he said he would pray for my success in business.

Barry: Ah-ha! So you received a service in return for this money?

Merchant: Well, I suppose you could say that ...

Barry: Then its not a donation. Next!

The merchant stands stunned for a moment, then begins to make his way off. Bruce stops him.

Bruce: And did it work?

Merchant: I'm sorry?

Bruce: When Matthew Carreri prayed for you, did you business improve?

Merchant: Oh yes, this year has been one of the best on record!

Bruce: *raising his voice* How many of you here have given money to Matthew Carreri.

Approximately half of those in the line put their hands up.

Bruce: And how many of you have had good luck since you donated money to him?

All the hands that were raised stay up. The crowd looks around and murmuring begins.

Crowd: Matthew Carreri is a miracle worker ... Lets go find him now ... Your farm yielded how much after he blessed it? ... I must ask him to pray for me ... He is blessed by God ... Let us speak with him, learn from him ... Perhaps he is a saint.

Excitable, but happy, the line disintegrates as the crowd makes its way out of the throneroom, in search of the Blessed Matthew Carreri.

Bruce: I reckon we can knock off for the day now, Barry.

Barry: *sulking a little* You don't think that this "miracle" could have been due to the way we've run the economy here since we took over, coinciding with a bit of good weather?

Bruce: Maybe ... But when they look at it this way, the people are happier, and I reckon thats a good thing.

Barry: *grumbling* If they have all paid Miracle Matt, then they can't claim them as donations. They owe us on their taxes. I hope he's been keeping receipts.

OOC: Oct 7, 1451: Saint performs miracle.
Oct 7 is the day for Matthew Carreri (Matthew of Mantua). 1420-1470. Beatified in 1625, but not canonised.
Given that we just annexed Mantua, this was too big a coincidence for me to ignore.

And our intrepid duo go from strength to strength :)
Mind you, I thought Barry let the Mantuans off a bit easily - I mean they just walked off without paying their taxes! Never have been allowed in old Albrecht's day...

The Bavarian (ex-Bavarian?) ambassador was great, not to mention the multiple Ladislauses. We haven't seen much of the narrator recently, though - has he found some particularly interesting wildlife in Bavaria?

Yes, standards are certainly slipping. It was Barry's fault though, for not hiring someone other than Bruce to do crowd control. The narrator will be back next time, I promise!

Excellent way of working in that event.

Chapter 2, Part VI
In which Bruce and Barry fight the Swiss (again)

February 1454

Scene: In the dungeons. Barry and Bruce are making their way down a passageway.

Barry: How long have we been here now, Bruce?

Bruce: *thinking* Just over 25 years, by my count.

Barry: And how do I look?

Bruce: Oh you look good, Barry. Those black hose really suit you, and I think that codpiece will be a real trendsetter.

Barry: Not my clothes, me! How do I look? How old would you say I am?

Bruce: You don't look a day over 30, Barry.

Barry: Nor do you, Bruce.

Bruce: Thanks.

Barry: But thats the problem. How old were we when we arrived?

Bruce: *thinking even harder* About minus 550, I'd say. Give or take.

Barry: OK ... I'll put it another way. If it had of been 2004 in 1419, how old would you have been?

Bruce: You lost me ...

Barry: How many years had you been alive before we got here?

Bruce: Its all a bit of a blur ...

Barry: You don't know when your birthday was?

Bruce: Errr ... No. Not exactly.

Barry: Oh ... Me neither.

Bruce: Well, here we are. Lets go talk to the ambassador.

Bruce unlatches a cell door, and the pair enter. Inside the cell is a tall blonde man.

Bruce: You are the ambassador from Saxony?

Saxon Ambassador: Yes, my lord.

Bruce: You look familiar. You're not from Magdeburg are you?

Saxon Ambassador: No, my lord. Although in times past the relations between Saxony and Magdeburg were better than they are now ... I believe I have some cousins in Magdeburg, who may, perhaps look somewhat like me.

Barry: That might be it. Just making sure. You heard about the Swiss War, I assume?

Saxon Ambassador: Only rumours. I gave them no credence.

Barry: What rumour did you hear?

Saxon Ambassador: That there was some sort of mix up, and that you intended to invade Magdeburg.

Bruce: *glaring at Barry* The important point is that we easily defeated the Swiss. And our military continues to improve. Just today we established cantonments in Austria and expanded our armies as a result. In any event, our relations with Magdeburg have improved since the Swiss War. Why, just last year we offered them a royal marriage.

Saxon Ambassador: *softly* Yes, but they refused. Something about the bride having crossed eyes and a humped back, I heard.

Bruce: Also our expertise in naval matters continues to improve ...

Saxon Ambassador: I hardly need remind you that, like Austria, Saxony is a landlocked country. Your naval prowess impresses us not at all. However, there is no need for your threats, Saxony views Austria as a very good friend.

Bruce: Would you back that up with soldiers, if it came to it.

Saxon Ambassador: I think so.

Bruce: Good, Good. Send a message back to your prince, we will conclude a treaty of military alliance immediately.

Ambassador: At once!

September 1454

Scene: The Archducal throneroom. Now aged fourteen, Archduke Ladislas is slouched across the throne, looking very unhappy. Duke Leopold stands to the Archduke's left, looking very weary.

Ladislas: You two know why I have sent for you?

Bruce: Because we have done such an excellent job, and you want to reward us?

Ladislas: Actually, yes. You have done well in looking after the province of Lombardia. It has now been over five years since that province last revolted. Do you think it is safe to visit now?

Barry ignores a pointed look and shake of the head from Duke Leopold.

Barry: Oh yes, I would think it is quite safe.

Leopold: But the realm is still not stable. There have been revolts in Ansbach, have there not?

Barry: True, but the last of those was almost three years ago. Everything is peaceful there now.

Leopold: But I think it is still not safe for the Emperor to travel to Milan?

Barry: Oh no, it would be quite safe.

Leopold: The Emperor must be kept safe at all costs. We would hold you responsible if any harm came to him.

Bruce: Well, when you put it that way ... Swiss raiders have been causing problems in the alpine passes in Tirol. Perhaps it would be better if Ladislas stayed here.

Ladislas: *pouting* I could fight a hundred Swiss myself! Lets go now!

Bruce: The raiders don't fight honourably, my lord. These are terrorist actions, sponsored by a rogue state.

Ladislas: What do you suggest?

Bruce: We should invade, and teach them that your imperial majesty is not to be trifled with.

Ladislas: Very well. You have my blessing to fight the Swiss wherever you may find them. And while you are doing that, add the province of Schwyz to my realm.

Leopold: That is not a realistic goal, my lord!

Ladislas: *coldly* Duke Leopold, I remind you that my father ruled this land in his own right when he was my age. However, I am Emperor, and so have more to learn, and so I choose to listen to your advice. However, in 1459, when I will be a ruler in my own right, I will find you two. If Schwyz has not been captured by then, I will be very disappointed. Is that clear?

Bruce: Crystal clear, my lord.

Bruce and Barry both bow and make their way out.

Barry: You had to mention the Swiss, didn't ya? He would have been happy with a keep Lombardia, but noooo ... Brucie has to mention the Swiss. Now we'll have years up in the mountains.

Bruce: But Barry, this will be a war against terror. You'll be able to raise war taxes again.

Barry: Its not all bad, I suppose.

Bruce and Barry catch up with the Narrator in the hallway.

Bruce: Its been a while since we saw you. Got good news for us, I hope?

Narrator: I had to pop up to Finland. We were able to follow the migrating reindeer. It really was fascinating stuff. But then they dragged me back, because you two started another war.

reindeer1.jpg

Migratory reindeer from Finland.

Narrator: On February the 18th, 1455, the Second Swiss War began. Once again, Austria was the aggressor in this war, and once again, war was declared without a valid reason in the eyes of the world. Levels of discontent rocketed within Austria, and relations with the outside world were badly shaken. However, Austria received the full support of her allies, Savoy and Saxony, while Helvetia was supported only by her small neighbours Baden and Strassburg.

Unlike the First Swiss War, Austria immediately moved to achieve the objective set by their ruler, and besieged Zurich, the capital of Schwyz. Meanwhile, Baden moved to prevent Savoy from offering any support to the Austrians by besieging Savoy.

With the two sieges in progress, the war bogged down into a race.

Barry: Wouldn't be much of a race if they were bogged.

Narrator: *pausing and glaring at Barry* It was a race that Austria and her allies lost. On March 7, 1456 the Badenese army captured Savoy. The Savoyards were faced with no choice but to accept vassalisation from Baden. However, even this was turned to Austria's advantage, since the Badenese army remained in Savoy, in order to guard against the restless populace who threatened to revolt against their new masters at any time.

In May of 1456, Austrian armies finally captured Zurich. Austria's aims in the war had been achieved, but Austria was not willing to let the matter rest. Savoy's capture needed to be avenged. The Austrian army marched north from Schwyz, into Baden. Baden's army remained in Savoy, combatting any potential uprisings there, her military commanders put faith in the city walls to hold the Austrians out.

However, the Austrians were nothing if not patient, and just over 12 months after the siege began, Austria captured Baden. Baden was immediately vassalised, and the Austrian army moved across the Rhine to fight Strassburg.

Bruce travelled with the army throughout the war, but he was not permitted to have any role in its command. The regency council in Vienna, ever cautious about the possibility of the Emperor being overthrown had agreed that no member of that council should command any body of troops, for fear that such a command would make it too easy to launch a revolution. In early November, he received a summons from Duke Friedrich, on behalf of the regency council, informing him that he was needed in Vienna.

November 27, 1457:

Scene: The hallway outside of the throneroom in Vienna. Bruce is met by Barry and Duke Leopold. Bruce is still stained by the mud from the road, the other two are dressed in black, with sombre looks on their faces.

Duke Leopold: Duke Wolfgang! Thank God you are here!

Bruce: What's up?

Duke Leopold: Alas, four days ago the young Emperor suffered what seemed to be a seizure of some sort. For three days he remained alive, barely breathing, but then early this morning he finally slipped away.

Bruce: Wasn't someone watching him? How did he get out of the room? He was sick.

Barry: He means that Ladislas died.

Bruce: Oh. ... Ohhhh! Are you sure it was a seizure?

Ladislaus.gif

The Emperor Ladislas, just before his unfortunate seizure.

Leopold: That is what we believed. Do you know otherwise?

Bruce: Nooo ... Its just ... I was summoned back to Vienna by Duke Friedrich.

Leopold: Yes, you presence will be required as a part of the regency council to choose the next Archduke.

Bruce: Yes, but I was in Strassburg at the time. I have travelled two weeks to get here. And the messenger must have taken at least as long to get to me. It looks like Duke Friedrich knew I would be needed now a month ago.

Barry: Now a month ago? *puzzled* Now is now ... Well not then, but now its now. Now ...

Bruce: I mean, its looks like Fred knew beforehand that something would be happening to Ladislas now.

Barry: But don't we have ... insurance ... against such a moment?

Leopold: Yes, but we have heard disturbing rumours of unrest in Hungary and Bohemia. I will send riders there to ensure that the other Ladislases still survive.

Barry: Just between us, Ladislas won't be much of a loss will he? I mean, he wasn't half the man his father was. And that hair of his!

Leopold: I was not entirely happy with the way he had turned out ... but it is always tragic to see one struck down so young. And if there has been foul play, I will take it as a personal affront to me, since the boy was under my protection.

Barry: I'm sure you did your best Leo.

Bruce: Who is next in line for the thone?

Leopold: The regency council will choose the next Archduke.

Bruce: But normally we choose the bloke who's next in line, right?

Leopold: More often that not, yes. It is best to be systematic - its the Austrian way.

Bruce: So who's next in line.

Leopold: Duke Friedrich.

Bruce: Thats what I thought. I think we should keep our ... concerns ... to ourselves. And Don't let Fred know about the messages to Hungary and Bohemia just yet.