• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When/where is the picture from? Do we know who it is by?

Painting by H. Burgkmair the elder after an original (lost) of 1468

Some of the pictures i include in this story/encyclopedia AAR will not have known painters because they are so old.

Howdy there matey...

I hope you'll be pleased to learn that your latest endevour into the world of EU2 has drawn me out of retirement, and that lovely black icon once again rests on my desktop where it belongs.

:)

Timmy- oOOOh that brings a song to me heart laddy, I am glad you enjoy this AAR because like my Roman Empire AAR two years ago, its a detailed work. I have been playing EU for a month now after my year long retirement and I love it just as much. I find myself so immersed in history again and it feels great. Be sure to read the story of the man living in this AAR, Albret Schien Diary. Enjoy.

I ashamed to say that this is the first Encyclopedia wAARspite I have ever read. Guess I'll just have to go back and catch up on the previous installments, since I have a feeling they are just as good as this has been.

And there is no doubt about it - it's the history that keeps us coming back for more. I'm just not aware of any other game (or gaming company) that puts out this type of detailed and well-researched product. You are making me want to reload my EUII once more after eons of not playing it.

Great work here, Warspite. I'll be following. I guess I need to see what young Albret Schien is up to now. :)

Good and enjoying read, Warspite.:) I've liked your earlier Encyclopedias too, but it is sad that not all of them was finished.:( I think especially on your Roman Empire AAR, which I missed when you abadoned it. Hopefully you'll be able to finish this one though!:)

coz1- dont be ashamed and think you should go read my previous AARs. I would rather you focus on this one. But then if you have the time to read the previous ones thats ok too. Glad you like this AAR, it has lots of actual history woven inside of it, especially with Albret Schiens story.

Nikolai- I know there are a couple AARs, especially the Roman Empire one which I am sad i abandoned but its just one of those things where my life took a turn, my interests shifted. I am fairly confident i will finish this to the very end because i have an interest in completing this story and AAR. Just that it could be awhile before its done. :)

Enjoy

Encyclopedia : 1488-1492

The Ottoman Empire had its Imperialistic ambition set on more conquest. Though the Remnants of the Roman Empire in Constantinople was merely a puppet to the Turks in 1488. The Ottomans wanted the city and when the Emperor refused to give over control, the Turks attacked. By 1489 the Roman Empire was no more, all of its past glory shriveled away.

Georgia suffered a similar fate as the Romans. In 1488 Georgia ceded almost all of its territory for peace with the Ottomans. By 1495 Georgia was annexed to the growing Ottoman Empire. This also led to the Crimea becoming vassal to the Turks to avoid also being attacked and swallowed by the Muslim giant.

Another nation that the Habsburgs watched more closely was the Republic of Venice. As part of a dynastic resolution, Venice annexed the Island of Cyprus in 1489. At the same time Venice was building a massive army of over 50,000 men. When Friedrich voiced his displeasure to Veneto about the acquisition of Cyprus, Venice responded by blocking all Austrian merchants in their trade center. This was a crushing blow to the Austrian trade market. This led to Austrian merchants focusing on trade in Thrace from that point on despite Venice reopening its markets a year later. Because of these developments, it prompted Friedrich to recruit 16,000 infantry to make his army 95,000 men, most of which was placed in Graz and Tyrol close to Venice.

For a long time, Bavaria and the Habsburgs were very close in relations. However when it came time for the Prince to pay a debt to the Emperor, the Bavarian Prince defaulted. When Friedrich asked for Bavaria to join in his alliance as repayment for the loan, Prince Albrecht refused. This was more of an insult to Friedrich and it would tarnish relations between the two until Friedrich died.

Friedrich would not need the alliance of Bavaria. Only months after Prince Albrecht refused his alliance, King Corvin died leaving the throne of Hungary open. The nobles of Hungary put Ulaszlo II on the throne. Right away, Friedrich was negotiating with the new King, hoping to recreate the Hungarian ties. After Ulaszlo abolished the mercenary army and taxes his predecessor had, the Ottomans turned their attention to the vast and weakened lands of Hungary. This prompted Ulaszlo to join the alliance with Austria. He may have saved Hungary from the Ottomans, but his policies he put into place put a wedge between peasants and nobles creating major internal problems for Hungary for years to come. Friedrich was content now that he had Hungary back within his network of power.

In 1492 a plague spread from Istria and Kosovo. The result was fear from the nobility and masses of peasants being displaced. This caused a brief period of instability in Austria which was quickly recovered.

Map of the Middle East 1492, Descriptions are below.

Map of Middle East 1492

Aq Qoyunlu, the white sheep Turks, have dominated the region with conquests using its ally the Caliphate. In 1492 Rustam became leader , he did not share the expansionistic goals of his predecessors. They are very strong militarily and the only rival to them in the region would be the Ottomans. The Mamluks are strong and have an alliance with the new nation of Persia, but the white sheep Turks have proven lethal in battle recently where the Mamluks have not.

Ryazan expanded at the expense of the Mongol controlled Golden Horde. The Mongols, though still a force in the region, are in decline rapidly due to internal strife and weak relations with others. Crimea, Astrakhan and Kazan broke from the Mongol rulers and other nations only wait for a moment of weakness to grab the lands the Mongol control.

The Ottoman Turks are the most powerful country in the region next to Aq Qoyunlu. After taking Greece, Byzantium, Georgia and a swelling army with great generals. There seems to be little that can stop the Ottoman ideas of conquest.

Just read this through, interesting story, especially so since I read about your idea with that other AAR :)

Thanks judge, yeah i think the diary of albret schein gives a more personal feeling to this AAR, kind of puts you inside the country a bit more. You cant quite feel the heat from the candle Albret has burning, but you get some ideas. :)

THE GREAT DECLINE OF ARAGON

Aragon was the dominant power base in the west Mediterranean for much of the 15th century. With the marriage of Ferdinand and Isabel in 1496 the two Iberian monarchies began to combine. This was met with stiff resistance from nobles in Italia and Aragon. Aragon basically became close vassals to Castile. At this time King Ferdinand became a weak influence as Queen Isabel dominated politics. Infrastructure and the military of Aragon lands began to slowly diminish. This left an open door for archenemy France to take advantage of the situation.

In 1495 France attacked Aragon to regain land lost in the previous war. The two nations came to a stale mate a few years later but at great cost to Aragon’s army and treasury. It could be said this war cost Aragon its dominance. From this time forward it became a weak target for the powers around her.

Ferdinand and Maximilian made moves toward improved relations leading to the marriage of their children in 1496. Philip, son of Mary of Burgundy and Maximilian of Habsburg married Joanna who was daughter of Isabel of Castile and Ferdinand of Aragon. This paved the way to unite the crowns of Habsburg and Iberia. Ferdinand made the false assumption that the great power of the Habsburgs would help him repel the French.

Isabel died in 1504, this left Castile in the hands of Ferdinand’s daughter Joanna. He was regent for her. Also in 1504, Aragon became allied with the Habsburgs. Feeling secure in his restored power, Ferdinand decided to attack France. France was weak after a major loss to the Habsburgs recently and so it was thought this war would be an easy victory for Aragon, it didn’t work out that way.

Aragon’s newly recruited army was ill prepared for the veterans of France. The Habsburgs did little to help and then basically left Aragon on her own when they went to war with the Ottoman Turks.

What was even worse for Ferdinand and Aragon. Philip went to rule with Joanna in Castile. They both expelled their father back to Aragon so they could rule Castile. Philip died in 1506 and the already unstable Joanna went mad and attacked her father in Aragon with the Castile Army. Aragon was at war on two fronts.

Aragon lost most of its territory in Iberia in the following years. 1508-9 lost all land around the Pyrenees to France and Spain. The Papacy, with Habsburg support, broke away from Aragon in 1513, that was uncontested. However when Sicily rebelled and broke from Aragon in 1514, Ferdinand sent an army to retake the Island.

Ferdinand did return to Castile to help his daughter who had gone insane, if for only a short time. In 1516 he died leaving the inheritance of Spain and Aragon to Joanna’s son Charles of Habsburg(Carlos). Charles arrived in Spain to rule in 1517. Aragon remained under the authority of the crown of Spain.

I suppose that counts as an object lesson in how quickly the fortunes of nations can change. So France is consolidating its position?

I will have a write up on France soon, it will explain their current position. :) Note much of what I wrote about Aragon is historical. It worked in my favor to use Joanna's historic insanity as an excuse for Spains attack on Aragon in 1506 in the game :)

FRENCH EXPANSION HALTED EAST, FORCED TO GO WEST

Anne, the sister of King Charles VIII of France, was regent for her young brother during the 1490s. She called on her nations men to drive out the English and she encouraged her brother to drive out the Habsburgs as well. In 1491, King Charles married Anne of Brittany. Sister Anne’s regency powers faded and Charles took over. It was he who led the attack on Aragon and portions of the German Empire. Charles plan was to challenge Habsburg dominance of Germany and Italia.

Charles was very successful in war. He annexed Wurtenburg, Lorraine and northern Bavaria by 1493. His efforts severely weakened Aragon who would begin a decline from that point on. Charles was preparing further attacks into Italia but he died in 1498.

Charles died without an heir, so it was his cousin Louis XII who became King. Louis secured Brittany by annulling his current marriage and then Marrying the widow Anne of Brittany. Louis then focused on crushing German revolts and preparing for the attack into Italia. His plans were interrupted when Maximilian of the Habsburgs called him on his expansion. The French were getting to much into the Emperors territory and war was inevitable to see who was dominant.

The Habsburgs attacked France in 1501. Maximilian with his German generals Von Frundsberg and Ferdinand, led a 94,000 man army across into Helvetia and France. The mountains made things very difficult at first. France and Helvetia fielded 70,000 men. After a few early set backs for the Habsburg army, the war became one sided. In two years the Habsburgs had advanced within sight of Paris. At that point France had little army left to fight and signed a treaty with Vienna.

France lost all its territory in Germany, further it was forced to give up any ambitions for Italia. This was a major blow to King Louis but instead of press matters with his powerful neighbors. He chose to support the growing trend of explorers and tradesmen eager to seek land in the new world.

France was attacked by Aragon in 1508, this resulted in France taking the Pyrenees, much of what it lost to Aragon years before. In 1509 France went to war with England over exploration rights but the war was short. With the alliance of Scotland and France in 1512, England was not a major threat at the time anyways.

France was building its power, not in Europe but in the new world.

Very interesting developments. It appears Austria has cemented her power on the continent, especially Germany. Nicely done.

1493-1519 Archduke (Emperor) Maximilian I
1495 Reichstag formed for Empire and Habsburg territory by Maximilian
1496-99 Defiance of the Nobility against centralization
1498-99 1st Hungary-Moldavia War (Victory)
1501-03 French-Habsburg War (Major Victory)
1504 Aragon joins alliance
1504-1508 French-Aragon War (Major Loss for Aragon)
1506-1508 Hungary-Ottoman War (Victory for Hungary)
1506-1508 Spanish-Aragon War (Major Loss for Aragon)
1513 Papacy breaks from Aragon, becomes vassal to Habsburg
1513-14 Papal-Sienna War (Victory saves Papacy)
1513-14 2nd Hungary-Moldavia War (Hungary annex Moldavia)
1514 Aragon kicked from Habsburg alliance
1515 Kingdom of Bohemia becomes part of Habsburg Empire
1516 Charles V of Habsburg crowned King of Spain and German King

This is the latest Installment for the history of the AAR.

Map of Europe 1495

NOTES:

France owns parts of Bavaria and Wurtenburg, this leads eventually to Habsburg-French War in 1501.

Hungary and the Turks eventually split Moldavia and the Ottomans annex Albania.

This shows Aragon at its height of power. By 1508 Aragon is weakened by war and begins to splinter. Aragon would never regain its previous glory.

Scotland eventually loses its English possessions and also Britany to France.

Last edited:
Encyclopedia: Maximilians quest for control 1493-1516

When Maximilian took power of the Habsburg lands in 1493, he began planning for his idea to centralize the Empire and Habsburg states. In theory this was a great idea, however the Emperor underestimated the desire of German Princes and his nobility to control their own policy and people. The creation of the Reichstag in 1495 was met with initial enthusiasm. Then after only a year or two, it was either ignored or met with hostility as Nobles and Princes resisted the Emperors grasp for more power over them.

This internal feud resulted in revolts all over Habsburg territory and for many German princes to doubt the authority and intentions of Maximilian. From 1496-99 Maximilian wrestled to regain stability of his nobility. Though he did gain some more control, the Reichstag original purpose became only words and was largely disregarded.

While Maximilian struggled with internal affairs, France had taken this opportunity to take territory in the Empire. Also, the Ottoman Turks began to annex more of the Balkan states. The power hungry Maximilian’s greatest struggle was about to begin, fighting off power hungry neighbors.

In 1498 the Turks invaded Moldavia. Hungary wanted Moldavia for themselves so they also attacked the small state hoping to take it before the Turks, Maximilian moved to help his ally. What happened was a massive collection of siege armies surrounding one castle. From Germany came General Frundsberg. This one General was so skilled with siege tactics that he went to Moldavia and with a much smaller Austrian army managed to breech the walls and take the castle for the Habsburgs. The Turks were furious but did not attack the Austrians for fear of starting a war. The cost in life was tremendous. Over 70,000 men died on top of the thousands of civilians inside the walls who died of starvation and disease. The Turks eventually abandoned Moldavia.

Maximilian launched an attack on France in 1501. With Generals Von Frundsburg and Ferdinand, the Habsburgs led a crushing assault on French armies. The French surrendered all German lands just before Frundsburg began his march to Paris. The victory for Maximilian helped make him very popular among the German Princes. Though he didn’t have full control of the Princes, he has their respect and allegiance.
The Habsburgs became the most prestigious power in Europe, even more than Aragon and Spain. When Aragon and Austria became allies in 1505, there was thought to be no other nation who could stand against them, Ferdinand of Aragon thought so but he was to find out how wrong he was.

1505 saw the beginning of the Partition of Aragon. France and Spain together invaded Aragon while Austria was busy defending Hungary against the Ottomans. The result was Aragon losing half its lands and becoming a vassal power to Spain. The war was the largest in European history. Austria-Hungary-Aragon alliance fielded 227,000 men while Spain and Frances combined alliances fielded 230,000 and the Ottomans 140,000. Though Aragon lost so much land, Maximilian successfully fought off the Turks to protect Hungary.

Relations between Aragon and Vienna began to sour at this point. In 1513 Maximilian pressured Aragon to release Rome. The Papacy was recreated as a Habsburg Vassal. This angered Sienna who invaded Rome. Maximilian defeated Sienna and then forced Aragon out of the alliance when Aragon brutally ended Sicilian moves for independence.

In 1514 Hungary annexed Moldavia, another victory over the Turks. Maximilian greatest success in winning over nobility came when Bohemia’s King became part of the Habsburg Empire. This resulted in a civil war in Bohemia for the next twelve years as many nobles resisted the Habsburg takeover.

In 1516 Maximilian’s grandson Karl became King of Spain and Germany. This set the stage for one man to control the greatest Empire the continent had seen since the Romans.