• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
jezuskryst said:
I decided to install the full VIP South America Mod, because I couldn't find out what was causing Paysandu to have zero population. The installation has caused Victoria to CTD. I assume the mod has been tested so CTD shouldn't be happening, so I will explain exactly what I did during the installation, so you can tell me what I did wrong, and how to solve the problem.

jesuskryst,

As I created a new country, and made several modifications to the initial setups, pop's, ai and events, it is not only the question of copying and pasting.

If you install our mod in a clean install of victoria you will have a clean game without CTD. The same problem you had happened to another guy, and it was the same case, he installed several mods.

So, about the pop, the solution is rename the file inside SAMOD VIP_URU_Spanish.csv to URU_Spanish.csv. It should be OK. But if you want to play SAMOD I recomend a CLEAN install. It's not bugged, it's just the matter of having several modifications, sometimes it's just a letter in the middle of a small file, but this letter will be missed if not there.

"cannot read VIP_Argentina. Retry, Abort, Ignore"

I would assume that this happened because you renamed the files (and VIP_Argentina, etc. are requested, using the default VIP_ names, in the file "events.txt" and perhaps in other files too)....try and use the original names, for a start, that may solve at least part of the problem.

I have uninstalled Victoria so I can do a clean install. When I reinstall it, I am going to then install the 1.02 patch, and then install Hallibut's POP mod.

I have copied the db and gc folders to desktop because I want to cut and paste the events from VIP North America and the economy mod into the new install. Is this possible? Or will it cause the same problems if you are using more than one mod? For example, Scythe wrote that the program is actually looking for files named VIP_Argentina.txt, etc. as opposed to Argentina.txt, once you install POP mod. So I think this means that once I install POP mod, I should be pasting the VIP North America events into VIP_Usa.txt, instead of usa.txt, which should be erased.

I am researching this issue in the threads, but I hope you guys can offer some specific advice on this topic.

jezuskryst said:
I have copied the db and gc folders to desktop because I want to cut and paste the events from VIP North America and the economy mod into the new install. Is this possible? Or will it cause the same problems if you are using more than one mod?

In theory it's perfectly possible, it all depends on how you do it. Conflicts usually appear when something has been moved/deleted/modified/or simply not replaced/updated correctly to suit all of the MODs.

For example, Scythe wrote that the program is actually looking for files named VIP_Argentina.txt, etc. as opposed to Argentina.txt, once you install POP mod.

Let me clear this up a bit: The program will only be looking for VIP_etc. files after you install VIP events (whether North America, Benelux, Greece, South America, etc.) in their standard manner; I don't believe that the POP mod alone looks for them.

So I think this means that once I install POP mod, I should be pasting the VIP North America events into VIP_Usa.txt, instead of usa.txt, which should be erased.

Now, in this particular case, I must point out that I don't know exactly how VIP_Usa is structured and if usa.txt must be erased or not. Read the instructions on their particular threads/textfiles for specific info on that.

I am researching this issue in the threads, but I hope you guys can offer some specific advice on this topic.

Well, we can try....but as you can guess, the more complex your installation becomes, the more complex it will be to sort all of this out. This will be much simpler when an unified VIP install comes out....

I've revamped Spain. This replaces spain_spanish.csv, spain_basque.csv and spain_catalan.csv - it adds spain_galician.csv. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thewilkybarkid/spain.rar

It adds a new 'Galician' culture, replacing the unused Azerbaidjani one. I've just done this off my own back, I haven't seen anywhere what unused culture would become what. If you don't want to include a new one, just change them to Portuguese. The Roma should probably be represented too.

Ok, I'm back from Ukraine and ready to do some work. Expect the next release soon.

BTW, Chris, does your file include some Basques in France as well? The way it is now, our 'elder cousins' are way too few.
Cheers

zero population

I still have zero population in at least four countries, and I am having trouble finding out what exactly the problem is.
Open the Uruguay file. And after the last entrie hit <Enter>, the POP files should always finish in an empty line, or if you dl from the link in my post above you should get the file corrected.
Hallibut, make sure that ALL files ends in an empty line.
Sorry to barge in, but the pop files that I was refering are insede .../scenario/gc
I don't know which file I am supposed to edit. Is it Victoria/Scenarios/GC/madagascar_arabic.csv ?
Province;Nationality;Religion;Workforce;Ideology;Consciousness;Militancy;Size
2525;Arabic;Sunni;labourers;;;;20
2715;Arabic;Sunni;labourers;;;;8

If so, where do I put this [SPACE]? I went to the end of each file and placed an extra [ENTER] at the end, but nothing changed in the game.

Or is it Victoria/db/country.csv ?
2525;PROV2525;Madagascar;East Africa;Africa;Boina;Mountain;Forest;Timber;50;0;35;2502;18690;8481;18599;8539;18667;8447;-100;-100;0;-100;-100;0;-100;-100;0;-100;-100;0;18824;8409;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1

Or is it Victoria/db/events/burma.txt ?
}
action_c = {
name = "ACTIONNAME13201C" # Isolation
command = { type = prestige value = 100 }
command = { type = account_eff which = police value = -25 }
}
}

Where would I put the [SPACE]?

jezuskryst said:
I still have zero population in at least four countries, and I am having trouble finding out what exactly the problem is.

Where would I put the [SPACE]?

Here we work with POP file, so the <ENTER> must come after the last line of *.csv files.

In other words, if you open up the POP file, and the cursor is on the last line of text, it won't read that line of text. You have to <enter> so the final cursor is on a line with no text.

Eg.

2715;Arabic;Sunni;labourers;;;;8 <NOT HERE> # This causes this line to be 0
<CURSOR HERE>

Dayvit781 said:
In other words, if you open up the POP file, and the cursor is on the last line of text, it won't read that line of text. You have to <enter> so the final cursor is on a line with no text.

Eg.

2715;Arabic;Sunni;labourers;;;;8 <NOT HERE> # This causes this line to be 0
<CURSOR HERE>

Ok, I have a better idea of what you are supposed to do now. It still doesn't work when I try it, but I have a better idea.
When I open these files in Excel, there is no blinking cursor. There is a fat + sign, but no cursor. And the fat + sign is on the first line, not the last.
The thing is, in Victoria/Scenarios/GC I have found 28 provinces which have zero population, and some of them don't even have a POP file in .csv format. For example, Burma has I think seven provinces. Not one of them has a .csv . Burma does not even have a file in the folder, except for one .inc .

How can you tell if there is already a [SPACE] in the last line of the .csv? The files which don't work look exactly like the ones that do work, with absolutely no difference whatsoever.
I have gone into some of these files and hit [ENTER], then saved the file. Doing this makes no difference in the game. When I try to save a .csv in Excel, Excel tells me that if I save the file, the file may contain features that are not compatible with CSV. Do I still want to save the file?
- To keep this format, which leaves out any incompatible features, click Yes.
- To preserve the format, click No. Then save a copy in Excel format.
Does this have anything to do with why nothing different happens in the game when I save an edited .csv? I have been choosing Yes.

I need to confirm that I am supposed to be editing province .csv files in Victoria/Scenarios/GC. Is this correct?

You should edit the POP files using NOTEPAD.

what about the missing files? There is no Ava, Chin, Gyaong, Kachin, Mandalay, Moneit, Pegu, Rangoon, Shan, Sittwe, Tavoy, or Yeh.csv .

I'm starting to get annoyed. I have edited the files for Bukhara, in Notepad, like this:

bukhara_arabic.csv
Province;Nationality;Religion;Workforce;Ideology;Consciousness;Militancy;Size
1077;Arabic;Sunni;clerks;;;;4
[ENTER]

And there is no change in province 1077, or any of the other provinces I have edited. There is no change anywhere in Bukhara even when I edit the Bukhara.csv file, either.

So can anybody offer the correct procedure to fix this problem? I think I've shown what the problem is, very clearly, in this thread. I would really like a clear solution that works, with examples like Dayvit did above, or I won't be able to use the mod. And if there are errors in my files, which I downloaded from this thread, then everybody else who tries to use it will have the same errors.

P.S. There is another error in Britishcolumbia_Anglocanadian.csv . At the end of the file, there is a province numbered 0.

Last edited:
The Burma files are listed in Arakan, Shan, Pegu and Mian. Look for those.
And yes, I also reccomment editing csv in notepad. I was told a while back not to edit those in Excel.

Generalisimo said:
there is one pop creator tool that helps you with that... to avoid those problems with Excel and Notepad... ;)

Please, can you explain me how does it work ?
I have always an error when I try to use it :(

sayagh said:
Please, can you explain me how does it work ?
I have always an error when I try to use it :(

Which kind of error? You got the error using NOTEPAD? Can't be true?

Or is when you close the POP file. Are you including or replaceing the appropriate file in the *.eug (the scenario file).

Are you using the correct arguments, I always get error due a silly mistake: instead of using aristocrats I use aristocracy!

Apart of the erroe above, it is plain easy to mod POPs, the source that are hard to come by.

And YES. Paradox included a popmaker.exe in the CD, it is in the goodies directory, but I use the old Notepad.

pimparel said:
Which kind of error? You got the error using NOTEPAD? Can't be true?

Or is when you close the POP file. Are you including or replaceing the appropriate file in the *.eug (the scenario file).

Are you using the correct arguments, I always get error due a silly mistake: instead of using aristocrats I use aristocracy!

Apart of the erroe above, it is plain easy to mod POPs, the source that are hard to come by.

And YES. Paradox included a popmaker.exe in the CD, it is in the goodies directory, but I use the old Notepad.

I didn't get any error using the notepad and all the changes I made are working fine. ;)

I had some errors with the popmaker, and I wanted to know how to make it work (do I have to put him in a specific directory ?,...).

Thanks