• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(3620)

Sergeant
May 4, 2001
Visit site
Hark and listen to my tale! A while ago, a vile and untrustworthy character posted an rediculous AAR wherein the putrid Russians where shown to take over the world. Now, as any human being with some kind of mental resources at their disposal can understand, that was a most undignified lie and a waste of tax payer money - the world can belong to Sweden, the orderly Swedish way of life and Swedish Meatballs only.

Anyhow, this unsavory character who posted the demented Russian AAR was rightfully taken to task for having used the standard campaign instead of the much improved, not to speak of much more difficult, ICG. Since ruling the world was Swedens destiny anyhow, amends were made and a new attempt was made. The strifes of the Right Honourable Swedes and Their Right Honourable Meatballs are detailed here:

http://www.angelfire.com/games3/redplanet/wwswe/wwswe.html

The fighting and the building was done under the following conditions:

EU 1.09
ICG 2.1
"Chaos Hurts"/Aggressive opponets (max difficulty possible)
Playing with infantry only (can't be bothered to push useless guns or even more useless cavalry around the whole damn place)

The Swedes had to sweat here, but in their mission to enlighten the world with True Swedish Meatballs, no stone was left unturned and no sacrifice (including the mindnumbing micromanagement of having to raise troops in a billion different provinces all the time - thank you Paradox!) was too large.

Over to the Swedish Chef, then.

boy oh boy, did you set a high standard for sweden in this forum, sheesh just when i start my sweden aar now i better conquer the world to keep up with you here:p

seriously, that is awesome to see how you did that, this is an inspiration for my aar , though i dont intend to command and conquer, like you did

nice work adamx:D

That's an interesting remark, Coeur de Lion... with coward level being easier than agressive...

I wonder if you could actively make 'use' of the coward setting to make a more interesting game?

I just said that because I've never actually finished a game and owned every province. But playing one at the moment it does now look to be quite a simple option.

But I think it may be the case that AI cowards spend less resources on fighting each other and therefore leave more to hurt the human player with. On the conquest game, it can be very easy once you've achieved dominance to take the Bad Boy DoW's when they arrive and simply snap up province after province from whoever wants to declare war. If the AI DoW'ed less then world conquest would require more human Dow's and more stability hits with correspondingly less investment in tech and more revolts.

On the conquest game, it can be very easy once you've achieved dominance to take the Bad Boy DoW's when they arrive and simply snap up province after province from whoever wants to declare war. If the AI DoW'ed less then world conquest would require more human Dow's and more stability hits with correspondingly less investment in tech and more revolts.
I agree completely. Aggressive AI means that once your BB is high enough you can use a CB DOW against a nation you have no intention of conquering (and Nippon is a particularly fine example of a whipping boy that works well) to get your enemies to DOW you instead of the other way around. Perhaps there should be a stability loss whenever you go to war, whoever does the DOWing? Or maybe a semi-random loss or gain, influenced by your monarch's dip. level, to reflect the nobles of the nation either complaining about or wholeheartedly supporting the war (respectively)?

Last edited:
OK then, there's a challenge to place out there to the first person to make every province a city?

Other possibilities are

1) Most VP's
2) Highest bad-boy
3) Most provinces with the same religion as the national religion
4) As for (3) but treating sects as a religion
5) Highest overall controlled population

or anything like that. There's always a few accolades that someone can come along and grab.

Originally posted by warspite
boy oh boy, did you set a high standard for sweden in this forum, sheesh just when i start my sweden aar now i better conquer the world to keep up with you here:p

seriously, that is awesome to see how you did that, this is an inspiration for my aar , though i dont intend to command and conquer, like you did

nice work adamx:D

Thank you! Why on Earth don't you want to conquer? It's kinda the point of a strategic game... Anyway, I'm happy with anything as long as you waste the Danes first thing - it's the only way to play Sweden :)

Originally posted by Kehfee
With just infantry? Oh man the horror. How many people must have died to make Sweden ruler of the galaxy. I can't even fathom the amount of attrition on that 1,400,000 man army you had attack Corsica.

I've been a proponent of infantry for a long time now. Infantry can fight in the field and attack fortifications. Cavalry can only fight in-field. Cannons are pretty useless in-field. Once you raise enough troops, there's just too much micromanagement.

As for deaths, I _never_ seige. Storm right away - sure, the battle losses are higher, but then I don't have to wait for the siege itself and sustain attrition during all that time. Fast wars (and that means storming all the time) are paramount for really fighting effectively in this game. Even level 6 fortifications are no match for a decent overwhelming strength :)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Brad1
How do you prevent revolts and revelutions?

Two words: Short wars. Overwhelm and annex. Alwyas expolit CBs - never take a larger loss to stability than you have to. When stability < 3 => all cash go to bribes until stability = 3. Have a rowing army here and there that can run around and crush rebelions. Get your BB up so that everybody attacks you when you DOW your CB victim.

It takes a fair bit of work, but it's not really difficult.

But finding the nice balance between INF/CAV/ART is the best option. And riding on the wave of BB wars is not that fun, and you don't have such a big challenge with Sweden in the beginning. Just wait for the new Byzantine scenario and you'll see what a war really is.

Just imagine, a one-province Byzantium against Turkey in 1493. Thats what I call a war.

Originally posted by Gen. Suvorov
But finding the nice balance between INF/CAV/ART is the best option. And riding on the wave of BB wars is not that fun, and you don't have such a big challenge with Sweden in the beginning. Just wait for the new Byzantine scenario and you'll see what a war really is.

Oh, I agree that there's probably some optimal soldiers/horses/cannons mix. But the point is that it's totally unmanageable to play with that if you go for world conquest - just raising the troops is micromanagement enough to seriously considering dying painfully as a nice alternative.

Originally posted by Coeur de Lion
Nah! That's easy. Coward level aggressiveness should be harder;)

Go back and do it properly:D

Heh! Funny as that is, I don't think it's true. Once you break the BB wall, you get DoWs regerdless of your and AI relative military strength, so the AI would, unfortunately, only be more of a pushover than it already is.

The AIs main shortcoming is building way to little in the way of troops, and I don't think "coward" would address that.

Now if there was a setting where the AI was forbidden to build infrastructure and just had to blow its money on troops, we'd be talking.