• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Battleline

First Lieutenant
30 Badges
Nov 22, 2003
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
This is a Dominican Republic AAR, but also could be considered “hands off” because let’s be realistic, what can the Dominican Republic really do in HOI?
Start date is 1936. Settings are normal in both difficulty and AI with fog of war off to see what’s happening in the world.
The idea comes from the book “The Tropic of Baseball: Baseball in the Dominican Republic” by Rob Ruck (Meckler Publishing 1991).
The alternate theme of this story is the great sport of baseball, or beisbol in the Latin American world. In 1937, General Rafael Trujillo managed to help bring together one of the great Latin American baseball teams of all-time, the Ciudad Trujillo Dragones. This team included some of the great Negro League players from the United States, such as Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, James “Cool Papa” Bell, Sam Bankhead and others. The Dragones raided so many players from the Homestead Grays and Pittsburgh Crawfords that the diplomats sent into the United States to procure ballplayers actually were arrested and the Dominican government had to lodge a complaint with Cordell Hull.
Historically, professional baseball in the Dominican Republic died off after 1937 for the next 14 years. In this alternate history, Trujillo continues professional baseball and does what he can to make the Dominican the capital of beisbol.
January 1, 1936; Ciudad Trujillo, Dominican Republic
El Jefe, General Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina sits in his office, pondering the events of the previous evening, the wild party and celebrating the new year.
Celebrations were not common during the first part of the 20th century in the Dominican Republic. Aside from occupation by the United States and natural disasters, it was a grim time indeed. There was no room for any additional factories. Those who didn’t work in the sugar mills worked in the fields.
And there was always that threat on the western side of the island from Haiti. One division of army troops made sure the Haitians stayed on their third of the island. Haiti also had one division and a fleet in port.
Trujillo, who ruled under the mandate “God and Trujillo” wanted to make his nation great in some area. And the area the country was improving the most was in sports, specifically baseball, that game brought to the shores of the Dominican Republic by the Americans.
The nation of Trujillo was becoming a popular destination for those Yankees as well. In 1933, the Cuban Stars of the Negro Leagues came to the country to play ball. Also, Richmond barnstormed there. Venezuela’s Concordia team followed with some stars of the Negro Leagues in its lineup.
Just this past year, 1935, the Cincinnati Reds of Major League Baseball’s National League visited. Of course, the Yanquis left with the victories over both Ciudad Trujillo squads, Licey and Escogido.
Elsewhere in the world, things weren’t so great. The Great Depression was softening, but the throes of violence could be felt.
Yes, it would be beisbol to bring the nation to its proper spot in the world.

Actually, I'm taking it sort of slow. The side story is a big part of this AAR. I'm running on my laptop, which is has just a Pentium II 300 mHz processor. Most of the time is spent watching events around the world, listening to the music and waiting FOREVER:D for the improvements to take place. I've actually gotten up through July of 1936 with the sim.
Since I'm not running any "assistance" via the old F12 route, it's going to take a while to do anything with the DR. I figure as long as I've got a big enough army to keep the Haitians on their side of the border and not anger any major powers, I should be OK!
Battleline

Beisbol y Cerveza, Part II

Part II
Luis Fernandez, recently promoted to the rank of Colonel, was called into Trujillo’s office.
“I want to have you start to build a second division of troops, militia with an attached engineer brigade. We need to make sure those Haitians won’t try anything,” said Trujillo. “Also, let us research basic infantry weapons. This will allow our troops to have an advantge.”
After taking everything down on a notepad, Fernandez acknowledged the orders.
“I shall start immediately!” Fernandez replied and with a salute he was on his way.
Santana walked into the office of General Trujillo with news from the outside world. It was his job to monitor what was going on in the world and keep El Jefe up to date on the happenings through the days, months and years.
Of course Santana couldn’t keep up with everything. He even forgot about the little war going on in Africa.
Jan. 3, 1936
“Que Pasa, Santana?” asked Trujillo as his aid walked into the office.
“Austria has refused to give into the demands of Germany,” stated Santana.
“Ah, those Austrians are showing some backbone,” Trujillo replied.
“Well, our sources show that everyone and his mother-in-law are trying to influence the Austrians,” Santana came back.
“I wish they were trying to influence us,” Trujillo said. “We could take their best baseball players and build a super team.”
Santana interjected, “Acutally, we have a lead on the greatest baseball player of them all. Babe Ruth retired from the big leagues after last season. It would have been a great coup to bring him to the island.”
Trujillo perked up.
“Make it so, Numero Uno! We must have the Bambino. It would show the other Caribbean nations that we are serious about baseball!”
Feb. 1, 1936
Santana walks back into the office of El Jefe, who is enjoying a cigar and glass of rum.
“I have news from our agent in America,” said Santana.
“Bueno, let’s hear it,” replied Trujillo.
Santana read:
I have found Babe Ruth, stop.
It will take 100,000 pesos to get him to come to Ciudad Trujillo, stop.
Give me the go-ahead and I’ll send him to you, stop.
Jose Mendez, Agent.
“Santana, this is a great day for Dominican baseball!” yelled Trujillo.
Feb. 15, 1936
Babe Ruth emerged from the Pan-Am Clipper in San Pedro de Macoris, his first stop on the island. Walking to the dock, the great ballplayer was quickly surrounded by eager fans, both young and old who sought the chance to be near the Bambino. Ruth signed autographs for an hour before the town mayor approached.
Words were exchanged and there was a roar from the crowd. Babe Ruth would give a clinic at the town ballfield!
After three days of shaking hands, signing autographs, teaching youngsters how to play and drinking cerveza, Ruth was on his way to the capital to meet El Jefe.
“Senor Ruth, Welcome to the Dominican Republic!” exclaimed Trujillo.
“Sir, this is a fine nation you have here,” said Ruth. I’m looking forward to working with your ballplayers. We’ll build a fine program for your nation.”
With that, the Dominican Republic baseball program started to emerge as a regional power.

Well there is one important event for all of Hispaniola with C.O.R.E. there is an incident where Haiti may declare war on you!!!!.....and that's it! Keep it up!

All,
Thanks for reading this AAR and for all comments.:)
TC Pilot-Cuba is a massive giant in comparison to my little land. Heck, I've looked at some other small nations. El Salvador has better production numbers. We're similar to Tannu Tuva, but without the interesting troop loans from the Soviet Union which I saw last night and will be written up a little later.
Semi-Lobster-Unfortunately, I'm not playing with C.O.R.E. this go-round. I'm just trying to get a full game in first. Like I've said, I'm a very busy person and don't get much chance to play so I want to see what happens before I plunge in to mismanage a bigger nation. Is the incident you're talking about in October of 1937 with something Trujillo did to Haitians in the western part of the nation?
Again, thanks everyone for the comments and for reading this AAR. I'm actually up to October 1937 but need to catch up with the writing. Expect an update later today.

Beisbol y Cerveza, Part III

If I didn’t mention it before, I’m using version 1.05C
Part III
With the nation’s baseball program under the influence of Babe Ruth, General Trujillo could concentrate on other areas of business.
On April 29, Santana reported the annexation of Ethiopia by Italy.
“Where were you on that one?” asked an angry Trujillo.
“I’m sorry I missed that one,” said Santana.
“OK, I won’t send you to run one of the sugar mills in the Cibao just yet!” El Jefe replied. “Of course this war is of little consequence because neither nation provides us with baseball players.”
On May 25, Col. Fernandez walked in.
“Jefe, the first level of land fortifications to keep the Haitians on their side of the frontier,” said Fernandez.
“Bueno, how about the militia?” asked Trujillo.
“That’s where the problem lies. It seems that all available manpower is tied up in that endeavor and the date of readiness keeps getting pushed back. I would suggest taking a second look at the military. Perhaps a tactical bomber unit would be better. The manpower requirement would be less,” stated Fernandez.
“And...” Trujillo said.
“It’s something the Haitians don’t have. And we could hang nice advertising banners off the tails for the baseball games and make some extra money that way. We’ll call it training,” said Fernandez.
“Excellent idea. Let’s change the production then,” said Trujillo.
Things remained rather peaceful for the next month. The baseball season started with the two Ciudad Trujillo teams, the Tigres de Licey and Escogido near the top along with the San Pedro entry, the Estrellas Orientales. San Pedro had a number of Cuban ballplayers in its lineup, including the great Martin Dihigo.
On the international front, there was little to report. On July 5, Communist China refused the demands of Nationalist China. Then, on July 18, the Spanish Civil War broke out.
This was of a greater importance to many in the nation as Spain had settled in the Dominican Republic as early as 1492.
As Santana stated, the factions are the Republicans and the Nationalists. The Republicans have received help from Russia in the means of men and equipment. Germany and Italy have chosen to support Franco in the same manner. France and Great Britain have decided to support neither side and watch what happens.
Provinces going to the Nationalist side were Vigo, Burgos (the capital), Zaragoza, Pamplona, Salamanca, Madrid, Cordoba, Malaga, Granada, Cueta, Eivissa, San Francisco and Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
Troops from Santa Cruz de Tenerife quickly gathered in the islands off Africa for the Nationalist cause and by August both Badajoz and Abacete had fallen to the Nationalists, who seemed to have the upper hand.
On August 4, Santana reported the Nationalists had captured Gijon, but the eastern provinces were still under Republican control.
“I guess Franco is preparing is victory speech,” said El Jefe.
Baseball entered the world stage Aug. 12 as an estimated crowd between 90,000 and 125,000 watches a demonstration game at the Berlin Olympics. The World amateurs beat the U.S. squad, 6-5.
On August 20, Santana had another newsflash.
“Jefe, the Republicans have regained Madrid!”
Sure enough, those Spanish Republicans had managed to grab the nation’s capital away from the Nationalists. Plans were being made to move the temporary capital back from Valencia.
Meanwhile, the Dominican baseball league continued to be very exciting. The Estrellas Orientales, with several Cubans in the lineup, held a slim league over Licey and Escogido in La Liga Trujillo. Third place belonged to the Aguilas de Cibao with La Romana, Puerto Plata and Santiago in the top half of the standings.
The league’s best player was Martin Dihigo, the extraordinary Cubano who could play just about any position on the field. As the season went along, the other teams started to go beyond the country’s boundaries to find ballplayers. For the 1936 season, this involved mainly some lower-level players from the Negro Leagues and a few “loans” from Trujillo’s United States pals who happened to own baseball teams. Some low-level minor leaguers appeared in games toward the end of the season.
La Liga Trujillo was very popular with the population. Dissent was down to nothing (actually because I’ve got the top slider over far enough, but for this I’ll credit baseball!) The number of general strikes shrunk rapidly and the people didn’t seem to mind their meager wages from working in the sugar cane fields, sugar mills or rum distilleries. Remember, almost everything in this economy is sugar-driven!
A number of people kept close tabs on the league, especially the work of Ruth, who wanted to manage in the Major Leagues. Influential people in the United States were pushing for a winter league in the Dominican Republic for their contracted players to be able to get in some extra work. It was agreed and the first league would be in the winter of 1937-38.
Before that, a number of owners in the Major Leagues, Minor Leagues and Negro Leagues made plans to barnstrom in the Dominican during the winter of 1936-37.
On the morning of October 24, Trujillo was formulating plans for a brewery. Beer was a beverage that could be enjoyed at a baseball game. The North Americans showed that. One of the pitchers on the Licey team, Heine Meine, had proven that. Meine, the 1931 wins leader in the National League with the Pittsburgh Pirates, ran a bar and ballfield complex in South St. Louis. “The Count of Luxemburg” had plenty to teach El Jefe about the finer points of beer.
Col. Fernandez walked in with a young major, Alejandro Ramirez.
“Jefe, this is Major Ramirez, our expert on affairs in the Spanish theater,” said Fernandez.
“Let’s hear what Boy Wonder has to say on the matter,” commented Trujillo.
“Jefe, as you know, the civil war between the communist-backed Republicans and facist-backed Nationalists has been raging since July 18. After three months of war, the Republicans seem to have the upper hand.”
In the Spanish mainland, the Republicans had 14 provinces, Salamanca, Madrid, Tortusa, Lleida, Barcelona, Valencia, Badajoz, Albacete, Cordoba, Sevila, Malaga, Granada, Almeria and Cartagena.
The Nationalists control Cuenca, Valladolid, Zaragoza, Pamplona, Huesca, Bilbao, Burgos, Gijon and Vigo.
The Republicans control Villa Cisneros in Africa and the islands off the southeast coast of the mainland.
The Nationalists control the islands off Africa in the Tenerife area and Ceuta in northern Africa.
The Republicans have their capital at Madrid and the Nationalists are headquartered at Burgos.
Currently, there are two battles taking place. The Republicans have three divisions attacking two defenders in Valladolid while the Nationalists have two divisions against two others in Lleida.
“Very good,” said Trujillo. “Well prepared. Keep me up to date on further happenings. You are welcome here at any time.”
Trujillo finished up his brewery plans and started to look at the winter barnstorming tours. The St. Louis Cardinals, at the twilight of their Gashouse Gang days, would be coming in December and starting in the eastern part of the country. At the same time, Gus Greenlee’s Pittsburgh Crawfords would be starting a tour in the west. The teams would finish up in the Olympic Stadium in Ciudad Trujillo with a two-game series against each other.
Babe Ruth was using his connections in New York to secure the New York Yankees for a tour in early January. Around the same time, the Homestead Grays and Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro Leagues would be visiting as well. And Cuba’s top club wanted to come to the Dominican Republic. The buzz on the streets was about the top-level teams coming to the Dominican and what new North American players would be joining the expanded Liga Trujillo in the next year.
On Nov. 4, the United States re-elected Franklin Delano Roosevelt president. four days later, Ramirez dropped by to report fighting in Cuenca.
Over a sampling of beer, Ramirez told El Jefe how the Republicans won the battle of Valladolid. One division remained standing of the six that contested that province.
On Nov. 25, the Republicans marched into an undefended Huesca.
Nov. 30 was a big day for the Republicans, who drove the Nationalists out of Lleida and took Bilbao the same day. The only negative point was that the fleet in port escaped capture.
As the Cardinals were entertaining fans in La Romana with their Gashouse Gang antics and the Pittsburgh Crawfords were in Puerto Plata, the offensives continued in Spain. The Republicans went into Zaragoza while the Nationalists contested Bilbao.
The Zaragoza fight continued through the end of the year, but Bilbao was secured by the Nationalists Dec. 29.
The year ended with the games between the Cardinals and Crawfords drawing a standing-room only crowd in Ciudad Trujillo. The Cardinals won the first game by a 1-0 score with ace Dizzy Dean outdueling Satchel Paige. Pepper Martin, the Wild Horse of the Osage, scored on a squeeze bunt by player-manager Frankie Frisch, the Fordham Flash.
In the second game of the doubleheader, the teams swapped some players around. That put Cool Papa Bell and others in Cardinals uniforms. Bell had been with the great St. Louis Stars teams of the late ’20s and early ’30s. Jesse “Pop” Haines led the players going to the to the Crawfords for one-game exhibition.
Perhaps the best things to come out of the series were the observations of the team executives. St. Louis’ Branch Rickey studied the effects of integration in the American game would have and pondered putting team resources into the Trujillo League. Crawfords owner Gus Greenlee in a little bit of a financial pickle, would soon receive a visit from El Jefe. . .

Beisbol y Cerveza Part IV, 1937, January to July

Dihigo_Martin.jpg
Dihigo_Martin.jpg

Martin Dihigo was a legend in just about every league he played and is a member of the Baseball halls of fame in the United States, Cuba and Mexico.

Beisbol y Cerveza Part IV, 1937, January to July
Gus Greenlee entered Trujillo’s office just before noon Jan. 1, 1937. Trujillo invited the Pittsburgh entrepreneur to have a seat and a glass of his new Jefe beer. Greenlee, who owned a bar in Pittsburgh, inquired about the possiblity of getting the Dominican brand exported to his bar.
“This stuff would be great in my bar,” said Greenlee.
“Let’s cut to the chase,” said Trujillo. “I would love to put my beer in your bar. I would like to explore a further partnership. Your baseball team plays well and our Dominican League is doing decently. I would like to acquire some of your players for a one-year commitment to play here.”
Greenlee didn’t want to give up talent from his Negro Leagues team, but knew Trujillo had the $$$ to back up his requests. And some new money flowing into his operation would really help.
When Greenlee left, he had a wad of money, exclusive rights to market El Jefe beer and fine Dominican rum in Pittsburgh and a big smile on his face.
Trujillo had acquired the rights to Satchel Paige, Cool Papa Bell, Josh Gibson, Leroy Matlock and Sam Bankhead among others.
It was starting out to be a good year for beisbol in the Dominican Republic!
Around the world, things weren’t as great.
The Spanish Civil War was in its fifth month and things were looking very bleak for the Nationalists.
Maj. Ramirez and Trujillo shared rum on the second of January as Ramirez detailed how the Republicans beat Franco’s army in Zaragoza.
On the 9th, Burgos came under attack from the Republicans and it just seemed like a matter of time until the Nationalists folded.
But with the Battle for Burgos still raging, Franco took two divisions into undefended Zaragoza, basically getting it for free.
Franco’s troops continued to tour undefended Republican Spain, taking Madrid Feb. 14 and Valladolid Feb 17. Meanwhile, the fight for the Nationalist capital had grown to six divisions for each side.
Franco moved into Salamanca Feb. 19.
“Why don’t the Republicans take those three divisions watching Gibralter and defend some of that territory?” asked Trujillo.
Our observers have been asking the same thing. With no resistance, Franco has been getting a hero’s welcome in each city and town, all orchestrated for the press of course,” said Ramirez.
Castello Pantoja brought a tank division from the east to retake Madrid without a fight on the 22nd, but that didn’t even slow Franco, who moved into Badajoz Feb. 23. That was the final straw for the Republican Southern Command, which started to move troops north.
On the final day of February, Benjuena brought his army into Zaragoza to defend Franco’s gains.
The first two months of baseball were very good in the Dominican Republic. The Yankees, Grays and Monarchs completed their barnstorming tour of the country with the same positive energy as the Cardinals and Crawfords. In the final game, Ruth put on a Yankees uniform against the Grays in Ciudad Trujillo and lashed out three homers to the awe of the gathered masses.
The Cincinnati Reds made plans to train in San Pedro de Macoris for two weeks in March and many other professional clubs were sending down prospects, including one who had played for the San Diego Padres of the minor leagues in 1936. Ted Williams was an outfielder reputed to be able to hit any pitcher. His owners, the Boston Red Sox, would find that out this season with his progress for the expansion La Romana Azulejos of legendary Dominican player Enrique “Indio Bravo” Hernandez.
As the teams trained to heightened fervor about the game and Trujillo’s profits soared. With the economy doing well, Trujillo had the nation’s currency presses turned around to produce bubble gum cards of the players with Trujillo taking in the profit, of course.
March started with the Republicans controlling 14 provinces in Spain and the Nationalists in control of nine. On the second, the Soviet Union went with its first officer purge.
El Capesino of the Republicans took Badaoz on the 10th of March, but victory went to the Nationalists in Burgos the following day. The Republicans continued to march into Salamanca on the 13th.
On March 18, the Battle of Madrid was concluded with Franco’s army being scattered. An intense manhunt was launched for Franco, but he was able to evade and make it back to Burgos over the next few months.
While the Fourth Battle of Madrid raged with a March 25 start, the Republicans marched into Valladolid unchallenged March 28.
Zaragoza fell to Rojo Lluch’s Republican army April 12 and the Nationalists were eliminated in Madrid April 28.
The front remained static until internal strife hit in May.
“Jefe, there has been an upheavel in Spain!” yelled Ramirez as he came into Trujillo’s office May 17.
“Do tell,” Trujillo said.
“There has been a rising anarchist movement in Spain and today, the Communists have taken power,” Ramirez said.
“I wonder what role the Soviet Union had in this,” Trujillo said. “Stalin needs some new playmates and a place to vacation. Tannu Tuva and Mongolia aren’t exactly the tops of the civilization chart.”
The Republicans began their next offensive May 24, invading Burgos.
On May 28, Santana came into the office and reported that new highways and railroad lines had been completed.
“Bueno!” exclaimed Trujillo. “Now more people can go to beisbol games! How about our advertising planes, er tac bombers?
“Progress is slow on our pre-war Tac Bombers,” said Santana. “The good thing is that they can also dust crops.”
“How about our research?” inquired Trujillo.
“Our scientists continue to make breakthroughs in the brewing and bottling processes, but they are no closer to basic infantry weapons than last year.”
“Oh well, it seems the only Haitian invasion we’ve been seeing is people coming across the border to attend baseball games,” Trujillo said.
June started with another Soviet purge.
“They seem to like those,” remarked Trujillo to Col. Fernandez when he brought that report. “It will be interesting if anyone competent is left to command!”
June 9 brought news of a Nationalist defeat in Burgos. The capital was moved to Gijon, but that province was invaded June 12.
The Nationalists lashed out at Huesca in the northeastern part of the country June 18, but it seemed to be a futile gesture of a dying nation. When the Republicans won at Gijon June 30, it marked a split of the remaining three provinces under Nationalist control.
Meanwhile, the pennant races in La Liga Trujillo were heating up. The three Ciudad Trujillo teams, Licey Escogido and Trujillo’s own Dragones, were locked within two games of each other. The Estrellas Orientales of San Pedro held a slim half-game lead over those three clubs with Martin Dihigo and Luis Tiant leading the way.
Santiago, with Horatio Martinez, was in fifth place with the Azulejos of La Romana rounding out the top half of the 12-team league. Ted Williams was sizzling the circuit with an amazing .434 batting average.
Relations with the Haitians were improving as well. Private investors from four Haitian cities visited Trujillo in the first six months of 1937 to see if they could establish teams in the 1938 league. The baseball revolution was sweeping across the entire island!

Update Coming Monday

All,
Another update will be coming Monday. I've played up until July 1938 so far with some very interesting developments in the simulation. Also, there will be more fictionalization of the side story about baseball.
Trujillo will continue to be a better person in this AAR than he was in real life. Hey, if Rustican can make the Nazis likeable, anything is possible!
Just two more interjections:
1. Sunday is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor and actually falls on a Sunday this year.
2. The real people of the Dominican Republic are being hit by Tropical Storm (could still become Hurricane) Odette, so keep them in your thoughts.
Again, thanks for reading!
Battleline

Beisbol y Cerveza Part V July-December 1937

While La Liga Trujillo continued to excel and other Caribbean nations became interested in making a bigger league, events continued to escalate in Europe.
The new governament of Republican Spain realized its inclusion into the Comintern July 17. With the Nationalists cornered into Vigo, it was a matter of time. The Fat Lady was warming up to sing for the Nationalists as a large battle brewed up in Pampolona July 23.
The Republicans threw everything into the fight, stripping neighboring provinces to try to destroy the Nationalists once and for all. They got no help from their allies, who for some reason started loaning troops to Tannu Tuva.
“What’s with that?” asked Trujillo as the messages came by tickertape into Trujillo’s office and Ramirez read the results.
The Nationalists were able to spring part of the army away from the fight and made another tour of the nation. the Nationalists took Gijon Aug. 13, Lleida Aug. 14, Tortosa on the 23rd, Barcelona (and its fleet) on the 25th and Zaragoza on the first of September.
The cavalry of General Moreno gallopped into Madrid Sept. 3 with the Republican capital moving to Valencia once again. Valladolid fell on the 6th and Salamanca on the 7th. Moreno still wasn’t finished, taking Badajoz on the 9th and Cuenca on the 14th.
The victory was complete on the 15th when the Republicans were beaten in Pamplona. On the same day Cuenca came into conflict again.
Burgos went back to the Nationalists Sept. 18. Valencia fell on the 21st and the Republicans showed just one division left. The capital moved to Sevilla.
The Republicans were in dire straits as the Nationalists rolled into Albadcete and won in Cuenca on the 26th.
Albacete was the battleground Oct. 1. Three more Republican divisons showed up in Cartagena Oct. 7.
On the 10th, Santana brought good news from the home nation. The industrial capacity had been increased!
“Oh goody!” exclaimed Trujillo. “We can build another brewery!”
In the Dominican Republic, the pennant race came down to the three Ciudad Trujillo teams with the Dragones winning on the final day over Escogido, 3-2, as Cool Papa Bell stole home in the bottom of the ninth. Meanwhile, Ted Williams secured the batting title and belted out four home runs as the La Romana Azulejos beat Licey in the other game. A Licey win would have brought about a playoff.
In a championship of Caribbean nations, the Dominican Republic’s Dragones were the easy winners over an all-star field. Experts agreed that from top to bottom, this had been the best international championship in Latin America to date.
Several American clubs sent players to compete in the Winter League, including the St. Louis Cardinals, Homestead Grays, Kansas City Monarchs, Chattanooga Lookouts, Washington Senators, New York Yankees, Brooklyn Dodgers, New York Giants, Chicago Cubs and Cincinnati Reds.
In Spain the Nationalists won in Albacete Oct. 14 and took Granada Oct. 26. The Republicans redeployed troops on the 28th, one division per remaining province on the mainland.
Cartagena came into the fight Nov. 1. On the second, another report of purging in the USSR came over the ticker.
“Why don’t they just send those guys to fight in Spain?” asked Trujillo.
Republican transports were hit by Nationalist submarines Nov. 13 in the Gulf of Cadiz. The Nationalists cut down the list of Republican provinces by invading Almeria Nov. 16 and winning 10 days later. Malaga came under attack Dec. 6 with victory coming three days later.
On Dec. 12, a message was received that the Soviets were sending out 1st Corps as a loan. . . to Tannu Tuva.
“I hope we never have to ally with the Comintern!” screamed Trujillo.
The Battle of Sevilla commenced Dec. 14 with victory coming the day after Christmas. The Republicans tried to move the capital to Eivissa (Ibiza) but were beaten off by deejays, club owners and young English adults on holiday. After four days of trying to establish some form of order, the Republicans were officially annexed by the Nationalists. War with the Comintern continued.
And if that wasn’t crazy enough, Benito Mussolini declared war on the Comintern on the same day.
1938 would be a very interesting year.

Beisbol y Cerveza Part VI January-June 1938

Writer’s Note-With war raging in Europe, I’m going to cut back on the writing more to the style of Steele in “Nukes for Nepal” because it will cut down the amount of information my faithful readers will have to sort through. Comments from El Jefe Trujillo and his aides will continue and the fictional baseball threat will be discussed at the end of the news portion. Should be a little more organized!
Experts have tried to pinpoint the origins of World War II. Some feel the odd little three-way dance between the Soviet Union, Italy and Nationalist Spain was the beginning of the global feud.
With the defeat of Republican Spain, the Nationalists pretty much forgot all about their war with the USSR. Mussolini’s men took to the offense, though.
Jan. 2-Communist China refuses to give into the demands of Nationalist China.
Jan 5.-Nationalist Spain and Italy defeat a Soviet fleet lurking in the Gulf of Lyon.
This battle moves across the Med with the Soviets managing to escape into the Black Sea with most of its strength remaining.
“How did this happen?” asked Trujillo. “The Soviets were out on a pleasure cruise at the wrong place and wrong time. But they should have been sent to the bottom when they passed Italy.”
Feb. 8-the Italians took the offense to the Crimea, invading Odessa. Soviet response was rapid with the Italians receiving a valentine from the Russians as they were beaten into a mess on the beaches. Oddly, the Soviets moved the troops away after victory despite the fact the Italian Navy still controlled the Black Sea and effectively had the Bosporos blockaded.
March 10-the Italians were back and Mussolini’s boys brought bigger toys this time. The invasion was met quicker and thrown back into the water.
March 13-The Anschlauss took place with Austria joining Germany in the Axis. For the moment, this is still a minor league outfit.
April 6-In a move of military genius, Mussolini again invades Odessa. This time the Soviets still have some troops in the area and the invasion lasts less than a day.
April 10-Italians land force at . . . you guessed it! Odessa. The fourth invasion again is beaten off.
“You would think somebody would have learned something by now,” Trujillo said after reading the tickertape. “Real tactical genius at work here.”
April 16-The USSR makes a troop move. . . sending 2 Corps to Tannu Tuva!
“Exactly what I would do,” said Trujillo. “Always throw your enemies off by sending your troops around the other way! I wonder if the Soviets intend on taking Spain and Italy by circumconquering the globe. I hope not. They might decide Stalin wants owner’s box tickets to our ballgames.”
April 27-Tannu Tuva returns troops to USSR, just in time for the Soviets react to another invasion at Sevastapol. The Invasion of 1 Corps under Conte Caludi Bergolo is quickly reinforced by many aircraft units, who begin to engage nearby Soviet units.
May Day-For some reason, the Italian aircraft leave Sevastapol like birds flying south for the winter. They rebase to Italian land off Greece.
May 4-Soviet sub engages Italian Black Sea fleet, is beaten off.
May 5-Soviets retake Sevastapol.
May 6-Italians check in at Odessa with one division under Sapienza.
May 12-Soviets beat off Italian invasion.
May 13-Italians enter Sevastapol, but lose quickly to Soviet garrison.
May 14-How does the Soviet Union take care of the Italian Black Sea menace?
They loan more troops to Tannu Tuva!
May 17-Soviets have 82 divisions in and around Odessa and Sevastapol, but Stalin appears to have ADD as the troops vanish once the Italian threat is gone.
May 18-Residents in Sevastapol again call for pizza. Mussolini delivers in 30 minutes or less with three divisions. The host Soviet garrison took offense and sent them off without a tip.
May 19-Feeling friendly, the Soviets send 7th Corps to Tannu Tuva.
May 21-Soviets have 4 divisions in Odessa, so the Italians move to. . .
May 23-Italians land at Sevastapol.
May 27-Italians reinforce at Sevastapol. Looks like Mussolini wants to set up a Black Sea delivery service for pasta.
A fleet in the Western Black Sea carrying pizza dough and sauce beats off the Soviets.
May 29-Tannu Tuva, without ever seeing a single Soviet soldier, returns troops to the USSR.
June 5-Uncle Joe takes over Mussolini’s pasta kitchen in Yalta, as well as the rest of Sevastapol.
June 7-Troops sent to Tannu Tuva. . .again!
June 11-Italians revisit Odessa with 2 divisions under Tracchin.
June 13-Tannu Tuva returns troops to USSR again.
June 14-Italians reinforce to 4 divisions in Odessa.
June 16-Soviets retake Odessa.
June 21-Soviets loan troops to Tannu Tuva.
June 25-Soviets loan more troops to Tannu Tuva.
June 25-Italians retake pizza joint in Yalta, and rest of Sevastapol at the same time.
Trujillo: Can we even begin to guess what’s going to take place next? The Italians will be driven out, the Soviets will relax and send troops for a “rest vacation” in Tannu Tuva, the Italians will invade, troops will be returned without ever making it west ot he Urals with a huge buildup in the Crimea. Then the Soviets will retake the province in question, starting the cycle over again.
At least we have baseball. That Branch Rickey is a genius! He is really helping us put together a top-rate league. His Cardinales of El Higuey won the winter league title. There seems to be a lot of talent in the young American players and it’s really starting to rub off on our Dominican players. They really want to beat the Americans in their own game. This is only on the field as the nation has really embraced the sport of baseball and its players, no matter where they are from. The Americans are excellent ambassadors of the game and well behaved. Things are running smoothly. Hopefully a Ciudad Trujillo team will win the league title this season. We’re up to 4 in the capital city alone with the Conquistadors joining Licey, Escogido and Los Dragones. San Pedro hosts three teams and some of the bigger cities, such as Santiago, have two teams each. There are 24 teams in La Liga Trujillo this summer season.

Beisbol y Cerveza Part VII July-December 1938

Note-I'm working with different writing styles. Let me know which way you like it faithful readers! Nothing much really happened during this period outside the repetitive cycle in the Crimea, so I changed the format a bit.

Wars Currently happening—USSR, Tannu Tuva, Mongolia vs. Italy; USSR, Tannu Tuva, Mongolia vs. Nationalist Spain.
The second half of 1938 played out like a repeating loop. The Italians would invade Odessa or Sevastapol, the Russians would build up, kick out the Italians, and then disperse troops and probably make a loan to Tannu Tuva. A week or so later, another Italian fleet would appear in the Black Sea and the situation would play out all over again. This happened 10 times in the lsat half of 1938.
After being briefed, Trujillo was heard to comment, “You would have thought someone would have learned by now. Why aren’t they hitting other provinces? If they went a little to the west, they would only need to take two provinces before running into the high victory point burg of Stalingrad. That might get some good terms from the Soviets.
Some of the Italian invasions would last longer than others. Some didn’t even last a day before Mussolini’s men were getting mopped up off the beaches.
The Spanish seemed to forget they were at war. Sure, if a fleet ventured by, they hit it with aircraft and naval fire. But the Soviet Black Sea fleet was long turned into fish housing by this time, so Nationalist Spain did nothing more than try to rebuild its nation without trying to reach some sort of peace with the Soviets.
“Maybe we should have our embassy remind them they are still at war,” said Trujillo.
With the great distance between the two nations, it was the most peaceful war ever fought as neither took offensive action!
The Italians took a much more proactive stance against Russia, invading the Crimea until some expert high in the government realized they were running out of soldiers.
“North Africa is down to one army corps and there are only two left in all of mainland Italy,” said Col. Fernandez.
Fernandez gave his report on the front:
The Soviets seem to have control of the skies in the Crimea and around the Black Sea. The Italians are unchallenged in the water. The Russians have too much bulk for Italy’s land forces. Italy is able to occupy one province, either Sevastapol or Odessa for any period up to a week before the Russians kick them out.”
Besides that, the USSR was still busy playing the Tannu Tuva Two-Step. Troops would be sent to Asia and usually wouldn’t even come close to arriving before being recalled for defense of the Motherland.
Other major events in the world during the second half of 1938 included Czechoslovakia giving the Sudentenland to Germany September 30.
On November 22, Nationalist Spain hardly influenced the Dominican Republic.
On December 1, Czechoslovakia had become a political football being influenced by Italy, Germany and the USSR.
On December 11, the Russians obtained military access through Turkey, giving them the chance to once and for all put an end to Italian bombing raids from the islands of Rhodos and Dodekanisos. Unfortunately, the only move Joe Stalin made in that direction was to have a turkey sandwich.
“I would have crushed the Italian resistance near Greece and terminated the threat to the Crimea if I were in charge,” said Trujillo.
On the home front, industrial capacity increased in Santo Domingo, our only province. Trujillo was still deciding on a sugar mill, rum factory or brewery as the year ended.
The Dominican League season was another success with even more of the American teams participating in some way, shape or form. Los Rojos of Monte Christi had backing from the Cincinnati Reds. Their batboy was a young Cuban named Fidel Castro, who had ambitions of someday managing his own team.
Featuring a mixture of the finest of the Caribbean nations and the U.S. Major and Negro Leagues, the Dragones of Ciudad Trujillo won the championship of La Liga Trujillo during the summer. The Dragones had an odd mix of players that included Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson and Cool Papa Bell of the Negro Leagues, a collection of talented young minor leaguers, and the old standby Martin Dihigo. Trujillo had “pulled some strings” to make this dream team come to be. The team also won the Caribbean club championship over some strong squads from other Latin American nations.
Most pleasing to Trujillo was the fact that he would be getting another great player for his 1938 Winter League team. Rogers Hornsby, termed by many as being the best righthanded hitter of all time, had been obtained from the Chattanooga Lookouts in October. Hornsby had managed the Lookouts during 1938 as one of Joe Engel’s promotional events. The old man proved he still had his batting eye, going 2-2 in pinch hitting assignments that year.
Trujillo hoped to make Hornsby a player-manager for the Dragones, turning his club into a dynasty.

An Interlude

More updates Monday!:)

With a cutlass in one hand and a rope in the other, General Rafael Trujillo swung through the air.
Smoke filled the air from the close-action cannon fire and the sound of clanking steel of hand-to-hand sword action rang from below.
Trujillo landed on the deck of the Pirate King’s flagship and immediately engaged the lieutenant of the evil Pirate King.
As Trujillo finished off the lieutenant, a sharp pain pierced his chest from behind. Turning around, he saw the Pirate King standing there with a big grin as Trujillo fell to the deck and everything went dark.
With a jolt, Trujillo woke up. He was in his bed in Ciudad Trujillo and was not wounded in any way.
Wow! That was some dream!
With that, Trujillo swore he would lay off of late-night benders and pirate movies!
The next day, Trujillo called a quick meeting of his military advisors.
The head of the army reported that the one division of the Dominican army was busy manning the fortifications separating Trujillo’s nation from Haiti. Everything was quiet on the other side.
The head of the navy reported that the Dominican ready reserve fleet consisted of a number of fishing vessels under the command of Captain Ron Rico.
“Thank the heavens we haven’t had to use that fleet!” said Trujillo.
The air force leader told Trujillo that progress on the nation’s pre-war Tac Bomber unit was going very slow.
“Cut down the consumer goods,” stated the Air Force major.
“We must keep the people happy,” said Trujillo. “Things are much better when people are happy. They go to beisbol games. They buy cerveza and rum. They have parties. And sometimes they even invite El Jefe! No, we will continue to keep the people happy!”
“Then it will be a long time before we complete our Tac Bombers. Maybe we could buy some old Jennies from the Americans and arm them with broomsticks?” stated the Air Force major.
“Do we really need a big military right now?” asked Trujillo. “We should be fine as long as the Haitians stay on their own side of the border, right?”
Col. Fernandez interjected, “Some day we might want to have something to draw upon. I’m afraid that the events in Europe will spill over to the rest of the world. The war has grown to pit the Comintern of the USSR, Tannu Tuva and Mongolia against the Axis of Germany and Italy. Nationalist Spain also is at war against the Comintern, but is not allied with the other two.
The Russians have two shield nations. Turkey and Poland have allowed the USSR military access, which means they can move troops through and be right on the border of German and Italian territory, but if the Axis wants to go the other way, they will have to fight through those nations.
The buffer between the two warring parties is getting thinner. Czechoslovakia is no more, meaning only one band of neutrals is left between the Axis and the Comintern.
“How about Nationalist Spain? It seems to have forgotten about its war with the Soviets,” said Trujillo.
“Our agents state that the Spanish would join the Axis, but fear retribution from the French to the north and British to the south. They are still too weak following the Civil War,” stated Fernandez.
“And what of the so-called Allies?” asked Trujillo.
None of the nations of northwestern Europe seems to be willing to get involved in a conflict at this time,” said Fernandez.
“In Africa, things have stabilized with the Italians holding three motorized units in Ethiopia and one army group in Libya. In Asia, the many factions seem to be eyeing each other, but no action has been taken so far. It could be that everyone is scared to upset the balance, especially when Tannu Tuva seems to have a great number of USSR units on loan,” said Fernandez.
“Si,” El Jefe said. “There are so many flashpoints around the world right now. Eventually we might have to do something to secure our existance.”

Beisbol y Cerveza Part VIII January-June 1939

1939 opened with Germany getting a bit bigger as Austria gave into demands and ceded its eight provinces to the Third Reich. But just over a week later, Jan. 10, Czechoslovakia refused the German demands.
As aluded to in the previous post, Germany declared war on the Comintern (USSR, Mongolia and Tannu Tuva). It didn’t take an expert on foreign affairs and the military to declare that was a bad idea!
On the same day, Poland granted military access to the USSR. On Jan. 25, the USSR went with “Let’s move the industrial base to Siberia.”
Realizing they were fighting a common enemy, Italy joined Germany in the Axis Jan. 27. The Germans welcomed their Italian friends into the fold with a gift of troops.
Feb. 2, Groundhog Day, and the Germans land an amphibious force in Lenningrad. It was beaten off, but the Germans showed they were intent on taking the war to the Soviets. As the Italians blockaded the exit to the Black Sea, the Germans did the same in the Gulf of Finland.
The Germans tried invading Lenningrad again Feb. 19, but quickly were beaten.
(Of an interesting note, Feb. 1939 had 30 days on the calendar at the top of the screen!)
March 1 saw the Germans under Tolsdorff invade Odessa from Italian ships. they were beaten off.
The War grew on the Ides of March as Czechoslovakia gave in to partitioning, being split between Germany and Hungary.
On the home front, land fortifications were completed in Santo Domingo (Ciudad Trujillo) March 21.
A state or war existed between the Axis powers and Albania March 23 after the Albanians refused an ultimatum. The grubby mits of facism pawed in Memel March 24.
Italians went on vacation in Sevasapol March 27, were kicked out on the third of April.
March 27 brought USSR access through Latvia. On March 30, the United Kingdom guaranteed the independence of Poland. With two hungry powers on either side, it looked like that guarantee might not add up to much. Poland quickly joined the Allies, which consisted of UK, France, Iraq, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, Nepal and Bhutan.
On April Fool’s Day, Hungary officially joined the Axis, making that force three countries strong.
As troops started to mass on the Polish border, the Axis powers played “juggle the armies” as each of the three loaned troops to the other.
Things stayed quiet until May 20. The Germans took Sevastapol and invaded Albania at the same time. Albania lasted until June 7 before being annexed.
Despite having military access through Poland, the USSR decided to mass troops on its side of the Polish frontier and wait for the Germans.
War was declared by the Allies on the Axis May 26. The Italians grabbed up Grenoble June 5, a day after the UK took Bardiyah in Libya. Germany reinforced in Sevastapol with two air wings.
Early June was a time for the Allies. In North Africa, the Brits advanced along the coast from Egypt and had two more provinces June 10. Germans were kicked out of Sevastapol June 14 and the Poles were showing guts by taking Landsburg June 14 and Poznan June 17.
The Germans surrounded and cut off the Poles in Danzig by the end of the month. Also, Italian troops were contesting Allied gains in North Africa.
Baseball continued to be a winning proposition in the Dominican Republic. Players and fans from all over the Caribbean flocked to the winter league, won by a team from San Francisco de Macoris. Tourism was bringing lots of new money into the country and giving the Dominican Republic a regional name as being a cultural leader. In most places, the hatred of the Yanquis was gone. American players and coaches taught Dominicans the fundamentals of the game.
While 1939 was turning out to be a dark year in Europe, it was a golden year in the Caribbean!

2 Coats,
Thanks for the encouragement :D It really helps to get some feedback!
As for the translation of the title, it's Baseball and Beer (Beisbol y Cerveza). I minored in Spanish in college and never pass up a chance to stay in prctice :)
League Tables (Standings), hmmm. That's something I can work on, since that part of the AAR is fictional as well. There really was a Ciudad Trujillo Dragones team in 1937 which won the Caribbean title. Trujillo combined the two Ciudad Trujillo teams (Licey and Escogido) and stacked it with players from the Negro Leagues. Unfortunately, the economics required to form the team meant that high-level baseball took a siesta of over a decade before returning. When I pick up my map at the house later today, I'll throw together some tables.
Again, thanks for the support :D
Maybe this one will get to 250 views!
Battleline

La Liga Trujillo Standgins

As requested, here are the team standings...

1936 Liga Trujillo Standings
Team W L GB
Estrellas Orientales 86 44 ---
Licey Tigres 84 46 2
Escogido 80 50 6
Aguilas de Cibao 77 53 9
La Romana 73 57 13
Puerto Plata 72 58 14
Santiago 70 60 16
Indios Bravos 69 61 17
Samana 65 65 21
Barahona Hurricanes 62 68 24