• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cool! A Portugal AAR! Crappy economy, huh? Be glad there's no event file, or you'd spend the first 15 years dealing with troublesome peasants and politicians. :) And the navy reveals the usual spanish/portuguese mixup. Nuestra = spanish; Senhora = portuguese. That was probably Nossa Senhora da Conceição.

The only reason why I saud 1660 was that Cromwellian Commonwealth were definitely not allies of the Portuguese.

As Phillip I wasn't exactly England's most faithful ally. (That's something I love doing in EU2, getting Portugal at war with Spain at that time. I always remember that "Fight Club" movie with Ed Norton beating himself senseless. :))

1839 was an interesting year.

I learned that when you get technologies in trade you get negative research points. In other words, you still have to force your scientific minds to work on that problem. The benefit of the trade is that you get the tech you want when you want. Sometimes it definitely beats having to wait a few years, especially with the wrong intellectual establishment.

I learned to spawn unlimited POPs. Take a 100,000 POP, convert away all the other POPs of that class, and every month you're going to have a brand new 80-men strong POP. 100 POP Lisboa, anyone? After the initial surprise and disgust the cheat (?) has been implicitly forbidden in all my AARs.

I learned to milk rich cows for money. Take a tech they don't have and ask for all of their cash. That did not seem to be a cheat.

The Portuguese railroad has taken off - finally!

Note the progressive tax scheme in effect: it was rebalanced upon close examination of cash reserves of each POP.

Port12.JPG

Edit: Fixed the image link.

Last edited:
By 1842 Portuguese economy was thriving. 33 of 56 European POPs worked in factories; one of them - small arms, level 2 - was making a profit of 72 gold a day! Some talks were started about converting the now rather useless clergy into workers, but that was yet to be seen.

In the meantime, USA has captured Canada and Quebec. Talk about 1776 all over again; USA had only 29 divisions and UK had 219. But guess who was winning?

Port13.JPG

Wow, the USA is kicking major British tail there... maybe you should take advantage of it and invade Britain:),..

You sure?

Britain may have had problems reinforcing Canada (by 1848 they have taken 2 provinces back, but with a 10:1 superiority they should have done better), but they have London fortified...

Port15.JPG

Ouch.

Oh well.

Question - on your screenie it appears the Social spending slider is quite far to the right, yet no money is going into it. Am I seeing the screenie wrong or is there something else going on?

By 1848 Portugal has become a Great Power. Just like in good old EU2 days, all of that was accomplished without shedding a drop of blood. Huge Small Arms and Canned Food factories provided profit; overtaxed POPs - money; natives of Africa - land.

Port16.JPG

The only colonization possible was in Central Africa: pre-existing inland posts gave Portugal an edge and little competition. Perhaps if British were faster or the locals, e.g. Zulu, more aggressive, things could have been different, but...

Port17.JPG

Portugal starts with 2 regions in the lower half of Africa, 3-province one in the West and 6-province one in the East. Currently I have taken 1 3-province one in the West and 1 3-province one and 1 1-province one in the East. I expect to get the 4-province highlighted one in the center, a 4-province one below it, a 3-province one above it, and a 5(?)-province one in the top right corner.

Another options are:

1. Swaziland in the lower right corner. Caution, Zulus.
2. 4-province one above the dark red spot in the bottom part of the picture. Caution, Swedish (Angola) and British (South Africa).
3. The rubber region on the very very top of the picture. Nah, the French will be there first.

Social spending: There is only 1 reform currently present, it costs me 2.8 a day. Must have been added after the screenshot.

Brazil and Spain: True, I could, but with what? The giant leap across Africa was at a price of neglecting my military. Currently I have 7 infantry divisions (only 1 has a brigade). True, most S. Americans only have 3-4...

It's something to think about. The question is, do I have enough to hold what I own right now? I lost UK as an ally...

Heck, even Zulu Navy is already up to the "Invisible" tech level, while I'm still sailing Men-o-Wars!

Port18.JPG

:D

Originally posted by Gwalcmai
Cool! A Portugal AAR! Crappy economy, huh? Be glad there's no event file, or you'd spend the first 15 years dealing with troublesome peasants and politicians. :) And the navy reveals the usual spanish/portuguese mixup. Nuestra = spanish; Senhora = portuguese. That was probably Nossa Senhora da Conceição.

Portugal has no event file?!?! Is this true?

That's what Alexandru H. told me. No event file for Portugal.

Good progress, Yozhik. Going for the "pink map", huh? Good one. As for conquest, the spanish might be the better first target, to avoid the naval problems. OTOH, there are plenty of portuguese in Brasil so pacifying it should be less of a problem. :D

Originally posted by Gwalcmai
That's what Alexandru H. told me. No event file for Portugal.

*sigh* Sweden gets a "The King farts in the bathtub" event and Portugal doesn't get a single one?!? That's just sad.

Originally posted by Bento
*sigh* Sweden gets a "The King farts in the bathtub" event and Portugal doesn't get a single one?!? That's just sad.

:D remember that the "The King farts in the bathtub" event precipitated the end of the SOmme offensive, what did Portugal do? :) im sure as new patches come in Portugal will get more and more events.

btw Yozhik; you SHOULD conquer Brazil, for old times' sake!

Originally posted by Ladislav
:D remember that the "The King farts in the bathtub" event precipitated the end of the SOmme offensive, what did Portugal do? :) im sure as new patches come in Portugal will get more and more events.

btw Yozhik; you SHOULD conquer Brazil, for old times' sake!

Unfortunately it will not. No new events in official patches because of translation costs. Which means it's time to head over to the VIP to make sure that we have a good event mod without some ridiculous overnationalist events...

Originally posted by John_Keats
Unfortunately it will not. No new events in official patches because of translation costs. Which means it's time to head over to the VIP to make sure that we have a good event mod without some ridiculous overnationalist events...

case in point: Poland/Lithuania in EU1.07. they have an event every 3 years :mad:

Originally posted by Bento
Portugal has no event file?!?! Is this true?

There are so many random events that you don't need an event file.

Just get hit with a "factory destroyed" and "all RGOs from now on have a -5% productivity" a couple of times, and you'll feel all warm and tingly inside :)