• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Yozhik

Lt. General
57 Badges
Oct 16, 2001
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
Very Hard, Furious, 1.00 NA.

Portugal is very poor in Victoria. Just to survive I had to dump most of my stockpiles, raise taxes to about 65% of the max, cut off education and crime, cut defense expenditures to the minimum, max out tariffs. Since army does lose soldiers when its financing is cut, it remained at 100%. Ships on the other hand got nothing.

On January 1, 1836 I initiated two factories upon realizing that no one in this game shares. If I wanted lumber, cement, and fabrics whenever I wanted, I had to produce them myself.

Screenshot 1: Portuguese budget mid-1836.

Port1.JPG

On October 1,1836 the nation had its first election, another lesson in humility. As it turned out, people do not always vote the same way they think. Even when their consciousness is up in 8s.

Screenshot 2: What people thought.

Port2.JPG

Screenshot 3: How people voted.

Port3.JPG

Following that, I reconciled with myself that I should be the one choosing the ruling party based on people's beliefs.

By February 1838 I have completed three new factories, so Portugal now had 8. I could finally turn on my Clipper Construction, with Limber and Fabric coming out from Portuguese mainland, and Timber (probably) being delivered from Argentina.

Port4.JPG

Things were rather slow. I have completed one research project, had to suppress one mafia occurence. The nation was still very poor; in fact I had to disband all soldier POPs and send them to work on the farms and in the mines. Just as I did that, my manpower stopped growing. I wonder why :)

The leader points did continue to accumulate, however. Unfortunately, the first two leaders frankly sucked. Still, better than nothing.

Elsewhere in the world things were rather peaceful. Texas got whooped by Mexico and ran to become a U.S. state. Russia took 4 provinces from Turkey. United States of Central America had several revolts, which were followed by 4 counties declaring independence, e.g., Nicaragua.

In December 1838 I had my first rebellion - a staggering quantity of 312 peasants revolted. The army crushed them without taking a single casualty despite the fact that rebels were dug in.

Port5.JPG

Originally posted by Suvorov
Udachi!

It looks like you're gonna need it! :)

I will, definitely. When I installed Victoria, it... let's just say I had to reformat my whole HD and then install the game again, this time without the DirectX 9.0, but with DirectX 8.0. So my computer has only OS and Victoria now. Talk about obsession...

So I'm downloading 1.01 and - hopefully - I won't have to restart... :)

I have installed 1.01 and restarted the AAR. The strategy and the outcome were pretty much the same, except that the second time around it was harder. It is really painful to start with 0 machine parts and then wait for them to appear on the market...

But anyways.

1840-1841 saw several things.

Britain, Prussia, and France have colonized most of the African Coast.

Port7.JPG

Britain offered Portugal a defensive alliance. Shocked, Portugal accepted.

Portugal has been heavily industrializing, as that deemed to be the only way out of poverty.

As of early 1841, only 6 of 26 POPs in Lisboa regions were farmers and laborers. 16 were working.

Port8.JPG

reclaim brazil!

Britain and Portugal have been allies since 1660 or something ridiculously silly irl, so not too much of a shock.

Interesting though, as Portugal is a country I want to play when I (finally :mad: ) get the game.

Originally posted by stnylan
Britain and Portugal have been allies since 1660 or something ridiculously silly irl, so not too much of a shock.

Interesting though, as Portugal is a country I want to play when I (finally :mad: ) get the game.

Since 1386 actually, the Treaty of Windsor remember?
Finally, a Portuguese AAR!!! No wonder the economy is in shambles...in 1836 we had just came out of a very destructive civil war.

PS: Anyone else noticed this? The 2 parties shown here in a screenie are both the same! Liberais means Liberals in Portuguese...I guess one is comprised of English immigrants or something :)

Bento - I noticed that. Odd.

The only reason why I saud 1660 was that Cromwellian Commonwealth were definitely not allies of the Portuguese.

Oh good! Portugal! One of about five or six countries that are on my list of countries to try early on. I'm going to be very interested to see how your AAR works out.

Interesting country, please go on!

First you wanna take Toledo for the gold, then Andaluisa since it gets a CoT....errr

seriously though, nice AAR..and um feel free to conquer spain whenever your ready.

Originally posted by skkrrt
First you wanna take Toledo for the gold, then Andaluisa since it gets a CoT....errr

seriously though, nice AAR..and um feel free to conquer spain whenever your ready.

Must resist...using...the rofl smiley... :D

Wow, thanks for all the feedback :)

On conquests: A nice idea, but where would I get the manpower? The economic boost was achieved due to negligence of the military. Will I even stand a chance?

On 1.01: The current AAR is 1.01.

On money: The railroads led to a huge +200 daily balance...

:)

Originally posted by Bento

PS: Anyone else noticed this? The 2 parties shown here in a screenie are both the same! Liberais means Liberals in Portuguese...I guess one is comprised of English immigrants or something :)

This is a clever strategy! So voters really have no choice ... :)