+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A lesson in humility: Portuguese AAR

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2

A lesson in humility: Portuguese AAR

Very Hard, Furious, 1.00 NA.

Portugal is very poor in Victoria. Just to survive I had to dump most of my stockpiles, raise taxes to about 65% of the max, cut off education and crime, cut defense expenditures to the minimum, max out tariffs. Since army does lose soldiers when its financing is cut, it remained at 100%. Ships on the other hand got nothing.

On January 1, 1836 I initiated two factories upon realizing that no one in this game shares. If I wanted lumber, cement, and fabrics whenever I wanted, I had to produce them myself.

Screenshot 1: Portuguese budget mid-1836.

On October 1,1836 the nation had its first election, another lesson in humility. As it turned out, people do not always vote the same way they think. Even when their consciousness is up in 8s.

Screenshot 2: What people thought.

Screenshot 3: How people voted.

Following that, I reconciled with myself that I should be the one choosing the ruling party based on people's beliefs.

The Beast from the East Suvorov's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Blog Entries
    Udachi!

It looks like you're gonna need it!

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2

By February 1838 I have completed three new factories, so Portugal now had 8. I could finally turn on my Clipper Construction, with Limber and Fabric coming out from Portuguese mainland, and Timber (probably) being delivered from Argentina.

Things were rather slow. I have completed one research project, had to suppress one mafia occurence. The nation was still very poor; in fact I had to disband all soldier POPs and send them to work on the farms and in the mines. Just as I did that, my manpower stopped growing. I wonder why

The leader points did continue to accumulate, however. Unfortunately, the first two leaders frankly sucked. Still, better than nothing.

Elsewhere in the world things were rather peaceful. Texas got whooped by Mexico and ran to become a U.S. state. Russia took 4 provinces from Turkey. United States of Central America had several revolts, which were followed by 4 counties declaring independence, e.g., Nicaragua.

In December 1838 I had my first rebellion - a staggering quantity of 312 peasants revolted. The army crushed them without taking a single casualty despite the fact that rebels were dug in.

Victoria 2

Originally posted by Suvorov
    Udachi!

It looks like you're gonna need it!
    I will, definitely. When I installed Victoria, it... let's just say I had to reformat my whole HD and then install the game again, this time without the DirectX 9.0, but with DirectX 8.0. So my computer has only OS and Victoria now. Talk about obsession...

So I'm downloading 1.01 and - hopefully - I won't have to restart...

Great AAR =)

I like the Humour, keep it coming!

Not so idle

An advice: build up your economy, then build the military, then reannex Brazil!
    Member of the International Native Speaker Resistance

Proud owner of 50 2Coaties

Victoria 2

I have installed 1.01 and restarted the AAR. The strategy and the outcome were pretty much the same, except that the second time around it was harder. It is really painful to start with 0 machine parts and then wait for them to appear on the market...

But anyways.

1840-1841 saw several things.

Britain, Prussia, and France have colonized most of the African Coast.

Britain offered Portugal a defensive alliance. Shocked, Portugal accepted.

Portugal has been heavily industrializing, as that deemed to be the only way out of poverty.

As of early 1841, only 6 of 26 POPs in Lisboa regions were farmers and laborers. 16 were working.

Victoria 2

The rarely seen downside of the economic development: the underfed and misleadered Portuguese Navy.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions

A keen womanizer, huh?

Also, are you planning on directing much attention to the rest of the world? Perhaps expanding that Portuguese African empire?
    "Your eyes are burning holes through me."
    R.E.M.

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Britain and Portugal have been allies since 1660 or something ridiculously silly irl, so not too much of a shock.

Interesting though, as Portugal is a country I want to play when I (finally ) get the game.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

Not working

I've played POR one and off during Beta, you might seriously want to try it under 1.01

Oh and 24 in surplus is HUGE for small nation

Great story I like the dry understatements

V

Originally posted by stnylan
    Britain and Portugal have been allies since 1660 or something ridiculously silly irl, so not too much of a shock.

Interesting though, as Portugal is a country I want to play when I (finally ) get the game.
    Since 1386 actually, the Treaty of Windsor remember?
    Finally, a Portuguese AAR!!! No wonder the economy is in shambles...in 1836 we had just came out of a very destructive civil war.

PS: Anyone else noticed this? The 2 parties shown here in a screenie are both the same! Liberais means Liberals in Portuguese...I guess one is comprised of English immigrants or something

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Bento - I noticed that. Odd.

The only reason why I saud 1660 was that Cromwellian Commonwealth were definitely not allies of the Portuguese.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

Crusader Kings II

Oh good! Portugal! One of about five or six countries that are on my list of countries to try early on. I'm going to be very interested to see how your AAR works out.

Second Lieutenant
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Interesting country, please go on!

First you wanna take Toledo for the gold, then Andaluisa since it gets a CoT....errr

seriously though, nice AAR..and um feel free to conquer spain whenever your ready.
    Crazy Evil dude

Blackie Sherrod, on an auto wreck involving hard-living quarterback Bobby Layne: "After indulging is some heavy, late-night research with some scholarly friends, Bobby was driving back to his hotel, innocently enough, when he was side-swiped by several empty cars lurking at curbside."

Originally posted by skkrrt
    First you wanna take Toledo for the gold, then Andaluisa since it gets a CoT....errr

seriously though, nice AAR..and um feel free to conquer spain whenever your ready.
    Must resist...using...the rofl smiley...

Victoria 2

Wow, thanks for all the feedback

On conquests: A nice idea, but where would I get the manpower? The economic boost was achieved due to negligence of the military. Will I even stand a chance?

On 1.01: The current AAR is 1.01.

On money: The railroads led to a huge +200 daily balance...

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Originally posted by Bento

PS: Anyone else noticed this? The 2 parties shown here in a screenie are both the same! Liberais means Liberals in Portuguese...I guess one is comprised of English immigrants or something
    This is a clever strategy! So voters really have no choice ... :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast