• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great AAR

Leve Baskien!

a question is Leve by any chance basque for long live?
if so thats very odd since it's the same in dutch and the two languages have never had anything to do with oneanother

Originally posted by Registered
Great AAR

a question is Leve by any chance basque for long live?
if so thats very odd since it's the same in dutch and the two languages have never had anything to do with oneanother

"leve Baskien" is Swedish and means "long live", just as you said.

Last edited:
Good start so far.
I've considered playing Navarra myself given its nice portfolio of state cultures, but you were crazy enough to do so in the 1492 scenario instead of GC! Best of luck!!

Neroon

Chapter 3 - Part II

The new king in France, Louis XII who had risen to the throne in Paris in April 1498, sat at his new throne in the beautiful throne room in his castle, while one of his advisors, Francois de Gascogne, spoke to him. They spoke about Navarra
– Monsieur, you have to understand that because of your fathers’ failure the expectations on you are far bigger than you can imagine.
– I won’t attack Navarra. Didn’t you see how my fathers armies got crushed? No, there is something with Navarra; they have help from somewhere, either from above or down under.
– They have occupied a part of France. 1 million people out there including the people in Gascogne expects you to retake it and if you don’t you will never gain their fully trust and support.
– No, I have a better idea. What if we ally with Navarra? You know, if you can't beat them, join 'em
– That’s impossible, they are totally supported by Spain, almost like a vassalship. They will never leave their current alliance.
– You think so? Just you wait, I will make them. Get my secretary here, I’m going to write a letter

Juan had just woken up when a Spanish looking man entered his bedroom, delivered a letter, and then got out without saying a word. Juan found the man weird, but tired as he was, he just took it as another weird spaniard (he had met many of those). He just opened the envelope and in the letter could be read:

Madrid 1501-11-03

King of Navarra,
Plans have been changed. My son and I have found another señorita to marry; your Carmen is no longer interesting to him. The new happy girl is named María and she is a Spaniard, unlike your basque little hag. You are welcome to the marriage if you want, it will be held in 1505, but don’t bring the little one with you, we don’t want Madrid to be stinking worse than some village in Béarn

Written by his own hand,
Fernando
King of Spain
Duke of Castile, Leon and Aragon
Rightful duke of Navarra

Juan was shocked, and the sleepyness that everyone feels at mornings was entirely gone now. Isabel and Fernando are friends of Navarra! How could they insult him and his family so badly? He immediately went to Aná, and together with Antonio they started to discuss what to do.

– We need to have revenge, that’s one thing for sure, Aná said
– Of course we do, but what can we do, dear? her husband replied. Writing a letter to them would just be childish and war is impossible
– Maybe, if you let me interrupt, we could ally with France? Antonio said. I’m sure they would accept, Spain has occupied Picardie, and I’m sure the new king wants revenge.
– Hmm Antonio, you’ve got a point there, but what if they decline?
– Then we are toast, or rather, you are toast señor
– Hmm, it’s risky, but wasn’t it risky to attack France too?
–- I think we should follow his advice dear, Aná said. In one way or another we need to have revenge and this is the least risky way of doing it
– You’re right dear. I will go to Paris myself. You and Antonio will make me company.

The wagon with the king and his wife, along with the coachman and Antonio went through the beautiful French countryside with its good roads swiftly and it only took two months for them to get to Paris. In Paris, Juan proved himself being an excellent diplomat. At least he thought he was, though, he didn’t know the reason why Louis was so easy to convince that attacking Spain/England was a good idea. Juan only had to pay a state gift of 108 ducats and the alliance was a fact. Juan stayed in Paris the following month, and a party was held to celebrate the friendship between the countries, and from there, Juan sent a letter to Madrid, saying that Navarras being in that alliance was no more. Also, along with the 108 ducats, Carmen was now promised to Louis 2 years old son.
Home in Navarra, 1000s of men were recruited in the cities and everywhere the rumour could be heard: Navarra was going to war again

Last edited:
Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea

I am really enjoying this one.

Chapter 4 - First Iberian War

The Navarran army was now as big as Juan could split it into two regiments. One, consisting of three thousand cavalry, he took command of himself, while the other one, consisting of the 30 artillery pieces and three thousand infantry he let a man named Esparza take care of. Juan was stationed in Bearn while the other army was ready to walk from Navarra into Cantabria anytime.
July 2nd 1502 war was declared upon Spain and her allies England, Portugal and Naples and the Navarra regiment marched into Cantabria and started to siege the capital there, Bilbao, while 10 000 Spaniards, lead by Old Duke of Alba, invaded the province of Navarra and started to siege Pamplona. Juan and his cavalry rode into Roussillion and then further south to the extremely rich cities of Barcelona and Valencia, plundering the villages there, gaining tons of gold that was sent home in glorious caravans home to the navarran treasury, currently in Pau, because you know Pamplona was sieged and could not be accessed. The French army, consisting about 50 000 men, invaded and assaulted the capital of Roussillion, Perpignan and then moved south to Gerona. There they met with Juan.

- Bonjour monsieur, the French officer said. I’m Lt. General Foix and these 50 000 men are at my command. As you may know, France and Navarra are in a military alliance, and we come to honour that alliance. The whole province of Roussillion is occupied, including the capital Perpignan, and with your help we can also assault this city
- Bonjour monsieur Foix, I’m king of Navarra, Juan II d’Albret is my name. We are most thankful that you have come to our help. Let us capture this city and make the Spaniards pay for the insults that has been heard from their snake on the throne, not worthy to be called king.
A tiny smile appeared on Foix’s face but Juan noticed nothing
- Yes, for Navarre!
- For Navarre

Navarra gained control of Gerona in November, and in the same month Bilbao also fell. As of now, there had been no Spanish resistance yet, besides from some tiny armies and the 10 000 sieging Pamplona but Juan was not worried. It’s easy for a man to forget his own size when commanding a giant army of 50 000 men. He felt invincible and assaulted some of the villages in Gerona and letting the French rape some Spanish women before the assault at the big capital. The assault went fine but the morning after the assault the French commander Foix decided to go to Aragon, against Juan’s orders

- Monsieur, we’re going to Aragon now.
- But… I want to go to Barcelona. It’s a lot richer!
- We are going to Aragon, go to Barcelona if you want, that’s your business
Juan was stunned when he saw the 50 000 men leave, up into the hilly province of Aragon.
- Fine, let ‘em leave. Soldiers, I want one of you to ride to Bearn and see if you can recruit 3000 horsemen more. Tell them they will be greatly rewarded. The rest follows me to Catalonia. Half of the plundered treasuries will go directly to the soldiers!
The cheering crowd seemed so small to Juan. The six months of playing a major nation was over and for the first time he started to wonder what would happen if the Spaniards came

In Cantabria the life wasn’t as good. After the capture of the city the officer Esparza had encountered a small force of about 2000 spaniards and almost lost. However, the Spaniards ran before he did and he followed them all the way to Asturias where he stopped, starting to siege Burgos, the capital of the province.
The mayor of Burgos soon gave up but now Esparza encountered a problem. South, he had the 10k Spaniard army and west he had 5 000 infantry stationed in the mountains of northwest Spain. Esparza therefor decided to retreat, back home to Navarra and see what the king wanted him to do

To be continued

Last edited:
Good idea, ladyfabia, and one that many people forget about that option. When you can get it. Although it may still be to early for him to have advanced tech wise to get that option yet. I can't remember.

Originally posted by Amric
Good idea, ladyfabia, and one that many people forget about that option. When you can get it. Although it may still be to early for him to have advanced tech wise to get that option yet. I can't remember.

I'm land tech 7, but I didn't want to assault cause the french army was mainly cavalry and I wanted to get the fortress to -3 or -4 first

Originally posted by R.F.A
Well, at Birthday partys for example... Don't you sing "Han leve?" :)

You can use both Leve and länge leve :)

The correct translation is long=länge and live=leve, leva ;)
I don't know why you start talking about birthday parties :p

With any luck though those 50,000 French (minus attrition) will act as a suitable distraction ;)

Originally posted by Flame of Udûn
I'm land tech 7, but I didn't want to assault cause the french army was mainly cavalry and I wanted to get the fortress to -3 or -4 first

The correct translation is long=länge and live=leve, leva ;)
I don't know why you start talking about birthday parties :p

Skit samma då, du fattar väll för fan vad jag menar. Förresten, är det DU som har tatt min Toblerone? :D

Chapter 4 - Part II

In the next months Juan signed peace with all Spain’s allies except for Portugal and all of them paid a nifty sum of ducats which Juan and his allies split up among them.
So, about 20 000 French sieging Aragon, 30 000 French sieging Madrid, Four provinces occupied, the war seemed to be going well for Juan no doubt. There also seemed like those 10 000 that sieged Pamplona were the only soldiers the Spanish army had in Iberia and Portugal seemed to be doing nothing. Also Juan had got letters from Savoy, Brittany and the pope saying that each one of them now was going to send soldiers to the war. Papal ships were already starting to load soldiers for amphibious assaults at Sardinia, Sicily and the Baleares.
In Pamplona, 3000 cavalries were recruited as Juan had said and sent to the siege of Barcelona and the army with the artillery, led by Esparza, got orders from Aná to go back where they came from and siege what was possible, Leon or Galicia could have been abandoned by the defenders or if not, he waits until they are.

Barcelona fell in August 1505 and now Juan went to Aragon, taking command of the siege there, to Foix’s utterly bitterness. But what could he do, Juan had higher rank than him, those were the rules. Though, the French king wasn’t going to care about rules, he was sure and the risk was that Foix had an execution to look forward to when he comes home to Paris. He had only captured one province; the nasty little Basque king had taken the others.

ScreenSave5.jpg

The war continued like this, Juan stealing sieges and Esparza totally ruining every Spanish fortress with his artillery. When Madrid was captured, Juan went there to discuss peace.

- Fernando, I suppose you know why this war was brought upon you. Didn’t you learn anything when we totally invaded France? Didn’t you see how the Basque forces were and are practically invincible?
- I don’t know what you’re talking about Juan. You are a traitor. I did the most of the work against the French frogs and yet you betray me and your alliance. You would have been nothing without me
- You insulted my daughter and my family and now your whole country is entirely occupied, and Portugal too is going to fall. Now I want Barcelona and Valencia and a land connection to the two cities. The goldmine in Toledo and som northern coastal provinces would also be nice, and Picardie back to my French allies.
- That’s unacceptable! You are taking half of my country from me!
- What if we drop one northern coastal province?
- Nope
- Two coastal provinces?
- No
- Come on Fernando, OK, you get to keep all your coastal provinces
- I still reject
- Fine, then I’ll crush your little country till you pray for peace
- Ha! I have the Canary Islands, you will never get there
Juan sighed and left the room. Fernando was a harder nut to crack than he thought, it almost seemed like the Spanish king was totally insane.

The summer of 1506 the people in the countries involved started to get tired of the war, especially the people in Gascogne, who finally got an excuse to rise against Juan once again. Also the Spanish were furious at their king for not accepting the in their eyes pretty generous peace offer. So in November, Juan went to Madrid again

- This is my last offer for peace Fernando. I demand three provinces; Barcelona, Valencia and Gerona, Gerona only to get land access to the two others. May you burn in hell if you don’t accept it.
Fernando smiled.
- Sure Juan, but I want something too. I want the pope to recognize the newly discovered continents of the west, the so-called Americas, as Spanish and Portuguese territory.
- That is between you and the pope. Do you accept or do you not?
- I accept

In November 1506 the treaty of Madrid was signed and a month after the pope agreed with Fernando, his wife and the Portuguese king how the new continents were going to be split up, a treaty that was later going to be called the Treaty of Tordesillas

ScreenSave6.jpg

Nice going since last time I checked. Keep up the good game play and writing
:)