• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dojoboy

Colonel
55 Badges
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
The Mac-heads will be arriving soon, now that Virtual Programming has released the mac port of HoI, via MacPlay in North America. A mod may want to post a sticky regarding support for the mac version, similar to Patric's in the EU2 general forum. Also, mac players of HoI need to know that cross-platform MP is not possible w/ the PC version, so seek out mac players on vnet.

Purchasing in Europe & Software Support:
Virtual Programming, Ltd.

Purchasing in North America:
MacPlay

Last edited:
Hey, Dojoboy, just callin in from the IMG chat (handle: iQuestion).
So we can only play Mac people on Vnet?

Originally posted by La France Libre
Hey, Dojoboy, just callin in from the IMG chat (handle: iQuestion).
So we can only play Mac people on Vnet?

Yea, mac only. The IMG thread for HOI will be a good place to find players, and here once they start coming for strategy and Q&A.

is there any special reason for MAC players not being able to play PC users, i know that its commom for that to happen... But in some games the two are compatable. Did this have something to do with HoI coding or with Vnet stuff?

Originally posted by Davek804
is there any special reason for MAC players not being able to play PC users, i know that its commom for that to happen... But in some games the two are compatable. Did this have something to do with HoI coding or with Vnet stuff?

It has to do with Microsoft's DirectPlay protocol which is not compatible with Apple's equivalent (OpenPlay GL). It would take a lot of man hours to reverse engineer DirectPlay, then you're getting into all kinds of legal issues. Basically, DirectPlay is used for MP by most PC publishers these days, so more and more we're seeing this between PC and Mac games.

Mods, etc.

Does anybody know if any of the mods and plug-ins available for the PC version work on the Mac version as well? I've ordered the Mac version but haven't yet received it. And for anyone who's played both versions (if there is anybody!), is the Mac version totally complete (apart from the Mac-to-Mac only networking)?

Thanks!

Re: Mods, etc.

Originally posted by jmcnally
Does anybody know if any of the mods and plug-ins available for the PC version work on the Mac version as well? I've ordered the Mac version but haven't yet received it. And for anyone who's played both versions (if there is anybody!), is the Mac version totally complete (apart from the Mac-to-Mac only networking)?

Thanks!

As long as we can get the mods independent of the PC executable (e.g. files stuffed in a folder), the mods should work. Not that there will not be issues here and there. I've had success getting one version of the EU2 mod AGC to work but not EEP. I know some mac guys are working on it.

One user review from the IMG (Inside Mac Games)

A few early thoughts:

- The game requires the CD to be in the drive to launch. (Boo!) However, you can eject it after it starts.
- It is version 1.05b, if you're following the updates on the Paradox forums.
- Game runs very smoothly for me on a 12" PB (867 MHZ, 640MB RAM), as does EUII.
- You can cmd-tab out of the game if you're in a menu screen or the game is paused. Extremely handy.
- No major bugs apparent in a couple of hours of playing. I did have two crashes to desktop, once when a scenario was loading and once in the middle of a game. Haven't figured out what might have caused them yet. Use the autosave, just in case!

When I load a single-player game, the 1936 scenario ("The Road To War") is not listed! This is doubly odd because this is the scenario you're instructed to load in the (apparently Mac-specific) manual. Here's how I took care of the problem, if it's being experienced by anyone else (until I hear back from VP support):

Go here (Paradox support forum) and download the zip file linked at the end of the first post of the thread. It's a "tweak pack" for the PC 1.05c update. If you unzip the file, there's a file in the "scenarios" folder called "The Road To War (1936-1948).eug". This is the file missing from your install. Place it in your "HoI Data Files --> scenarios" folder. The other data needed for that scenario is all in the "1936" folder, so you don't need to worry about that.

The 1936 scenario should now appear. The troop placement (for Germany, at least) is not the same as indicated in the manual's tutorial (it was probably changed for 1.05c), but at least the scenario exists now.

One more note: browsing through the different data files included with the game, it appears that this port will be as customizable as the PC version of the game, and a lot of the PC scenarios, mods, etc. should work fine, as long as they can be given to us in a format other than an .exe installer file. Personally, I want to get very familiar with the original game itself, first, but this will add tons of replayability (as if there wasn't plenty already.)

Also, the box claims there's a 'scenario editor,' but I didn't see this anywhere.

Back to the game for me!

So hopefully mod producers out there will take note and remake installers so they are non-.exe for Mac users.

Also the tread (link up top) from IMG has more info on why PC's and Mac's can't play HoI against each other :( :mad:

So hopefully mod producers out there will take note and remake installers so they are non-.exe for Mac users.

I'm afraid PC mod makers are not going to know how to build a mac installer, but hopefully, we can get existing mod folders to place manually ourselves.

1936 Scenario

The 1936 scenario, The Road to War, is missing from the Mac version. You can download it at the below link, through the HOI game section.

Software Support:
Virtual Programming, Ltd.

Last edited:
Originally posted by dojoboy
… but hopefully, we can get existing mod folders to place manually ourselves.
Explain that last part more, I don't really get it.

Explain that last part more, I don't really get it.

When you start up HoI w/ the apple key held down, a window pops up (same as in EU2). In this window, you can type the name of the scenario folder you wish to play. Then, you ought to be able to play the scenario. The problem w/ some mods, is that they include code changes which would then require a mac user, w/ coding knowledge, to reverse engineer the mod to create a mac installer.

The problem w/ some mods, is that they include code changes which would then require a mac user, w/ coding knowledge, to reverse engineer the mod to create a mac installer.

O jeez. We need to start a committee of Mod testers to see what mods work and which don't (btw i the mod I most want is No Time Limit)

GRRR! That's it I'm not waiting anymore for AppleStore to get it (They had two weeks). I'm getting it online, any suggestion for websites (btw i don't want outrages S/H fees).:wacko:

GRRR! That's it I'm not waiting anymore for AppleStore to get it (They had two weeks). I'm getting it online, any suggestion for websites (btw i don't want outrages S/H fees).:wacko:

Amazon.com has it.

Amazon.com has it.

I would like to get it from Amazon, but they list no shipping data and according to that person on IMG,

I just checked my order on Amazon and discovered that the HoI shipment date had been pushed back to the end of October or the beginning of November.

So, I don't know, too bad compusa doesn't have it. Sheesh! i might as well just wait for it at the AppleStore. Auggggh!:mad:

Just learned
IMG is now shipping it also.

Last edited:
I would like to get it from Amazon, but they list no shipping data and according to that person on IMG,

Well, it says: Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours.

What more information would you like?