• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

nalivayko

General
49 Badges
Mar 15, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
Austria, Grand Campaign.
Version: 1.07 beta
Difficulty: normal
AI aggressivness: normal (i want to enjoy the game)
Goals: Imperial crown, more than nominal control of HRE, conquest of Italy, expulsion of Protestants, obedient Pope, free Hungary (or rather, Austria free of Hungarian problems and rather poor provinces).

Let us get straight to the point, shall we?

The reign of Albert V: 1419-1439

For the whole duration of his reign Albert V was torn between the necessity of maintaining a large standing army and, despite of having a rather large treasury in the beginning, the inability to support it. His dream of becoming yet another Habsburg on the throne of the Holy Roman Empire, if realized, would fix all of his problems. Yet, he would have to wait until the Hungarian King is dead. For now, his other dream - the conquest of Italy - would occupy his thoughts day and night.

Unlike his predecessors, Albert decided to isolate Italy first, before marching his armies south. In order to prevent the other foreign powers from reaching the peninsula by land, he would have to conquer the Alps and the mountanenous regions of Istria. Then, he hoped, having no room for expansion outside of Italy, Italian city-states would turn on each other and exhaust themselves in countless wars after each all of the population would welcome Austrian rule as the lesser evil.

In order to establish Austria as the dominant force in the Imperial politics, Archduke also planned to make his domain's military more land-oriented and put the serfs under total control of the nobles.

On June 13th, 1419 Austria, supported by Bavaria, declared war on Venice. The latter's armies were already defeated by the Imperial Hungarian forces and all Albert had to do was to besiege Venice itself and hope for quick resolution of war. Several Venetian armies tried to lift the siege, but were all quickly annihilated. Some 30,000 Austrians were send to the walls of the capital.

The trouble came when Hungarian allies - Croatians - finally took Istria. The Emperor Zsigmond decided to take part in the siege and sent thousands upon thousands of troops to Venice. Before Albert V could retreat the bulk of his army, nearly 20,000 men died or deserted him. They would have been disbanded anyway, as Albert was losing money at alarming rate, but this Hungarian stupidity would not be easily forgotten by the Austrians in years to come.

In 1420 Wurtemburg joined Austrian alliance. Venice continued to fight the Emperor in the east. In 1423 their capital fell to the Austrian-Hungarian forces, with Austrian commander accepting the surrender of the city. In 1427 Venice lost Dalmatia to Croatia and sued for peace with Austria, offering Istria in return. The offer was accepted, since numerous rebellions in Austria itself prevented the Archduke from continuing the campaign in the south.

hab01.jpg

Meanwhile, Pope's initial successes in Italy were followed by a brutal civil war and the loss of Siena to the rebels. Albert began planning for the second phase of his plan to isolate Italy on land, but his allies had plans of their own. In 1430 Bavaria had declared war on Wurzburg and Saxony. Austria supported her on paper, but in reality dedicated it's time to strengthen fortifications in Tirol. Soon Wurzburg capitulated and was annexed by Bavaria. Not willing to waste another moment, Archduke declared war on Helvetia.

Swiss alliance with Savoy and Baden was more of a convenience than a threat to Austria. Baden was promised as a prize to Wurtemburg and Savoy's Piemonte, together with Swiss province of Schwyz would go to Albert, just like he planned years ago.

The war started in 1432. Bavaria initially refused to take part in it, but Albert's gentle persuasion tactics brought that Elector back into the alliance. Additional 15,000 troops were raised, while the existing 18,000 were used to invade the Swiss cantons' territory.

Swiss army entered the race with Wurtemburg's one. The first was trying to capture the latter's capital, before the latter captured Baden's. Meanwhile, Austrian forces took Schwyz and defeated several Savoyard armies trying to cross the Alps and join the allies fight in south Germany.

Rastatt - Baden's capital - fell first with Stuttgart surrendering a few months later. Swiss moved south to Tirol, while Bavaria and Wurtemburg concentrated on retaking the Stuttgart from the enemy. Austrian forces covered Bern and Savoy and besieged Piemonte. Soon all three provinces were in Austrian hands, while Swiss took Tirol, after defeating Archduke's army, which tried to lift the siege.

The war was almost over. Wurtemburg was liberated and Austrian army annihilated what was left of the Swiss in Tirol. The province was re-taken and harsh terms of peace dictated to the enemy. Baden was already annexed by Wurtemburg. Savoy had to cede Piemonte, pay 50,000 ducats and grant Austria the military access. Helvetia had to cede Schwyz, pay 50,000 ducats and become a vassal to the Austrian crown. The year was 1436.

Meanwhile, in Italy, Pope's alliance was challenged by the coalition of northen city-states - Venice, Milan and Mantua. Their victorious march south ended in conquest of Romagna, Modena and Tuscany. Pope also lost Marches to Aragon and was forced to become Venitian puppet, which caused a cry of disbelief and outrage across Catholic Europe.

hab02.jpg

King of Hungary, the Emperor Zsigmond, died a year later and, in view of recent events, Albert V was elected the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. He planned to make it holy not only in name, although the roman part he was not sure about. The least he could do though, was to add Rome to his domain and hope it would be enough.

The two years that followed the Emperor has spent in recruiting the army - becoming the Emperor solved somewhat his financial and manpower problems. Now he could maintain 50,000-strong force without bringing down the economy. Just when he was ready to invade Italy, God recalled him to Heaven, putting Ladislas Postumus in his place, both on the thrones of Archduchy of Austria and the Empire.

Elsewhere in Europe during Albert V's reign: Castille's annexation of Granada, Scottland's conquest of Brittany and south Ireland, and Turkish advances in the Balkans.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see you back, Vladimir! Already moved to your new apartment?:cool:

I like your goal... you seem you want to take the Pope's rule and role to yourself. A new papacy? Let's see how it works, if it works! But it will... Nice start!

By the way, can't see the pictures.

No, it's more like the restoration of Holy Roman Empire (or giving it all to the Emperor, if you will). Following in the footsteps of Barbarossa.

No, I haven't moved to a new apartment... I stayed out for couple of weeks and moved back in. Let's just say my girlfriend's on a trial period right now. If she behaves then I stay else I am free to do whatever I think is right end if.

I am working on pictures right now, hope to see them up soon. The problem was I could see them from here, and so I did not think to check whether they show outside my office.

The reign of Ladislas Posthumus: 1439-1457

Born in 1440, Ladislas was promised a crown in 1439, when his mother Elizabeth of Hungary was heavy with him. His father, Albert V, died in 1439, holding four major crowns at the time of his death. The Emperor of Holy Roman Empire, the Archduke of Austria, King of Hungary and King of Bohemia - all these titles were transferred to his unborn son. It is a wonder their weight did not crush him at the time of his birth.

His guardians were Ulrich, count of Cilli, who ruled in his name in Austria and Hunyadi family, which ruled in Hungary. At the time the Hussite movement in Bohemia came to an end, but both guardians still preferred not to interfere into the affairs of this country, although later on Hunyadi managed to conquer Moravia.

Ulrich was a believer and a supporter of Ladislas' father ideas. He set out to continue the preparations for war in Italy and started the invasion before the boy king was even born. Austrian cavalry finally received a chance to operate in a more suited environment. Once out of Alps, the Austrian knights delivered one devasting victory after another.

The enemy alliance consisted of three city-states: Milan, Venice and Mantua. The Austrian forces attacked Miland and Venice at the same time, and while in the east the success was followed by defeat, the west saw the Imperial forces triumph over Milanese army and invade Mantua. At that time Mantua decided to take Ulrich's proposal and make white peace, leaving Venice alone to stand against the might of the Austrian military machine.

Having crushed major Venetian forces at Mantua, the bulk of the Austrian army moved south to besiege Emilia, Romagna and Tuscany, while the eastern contigent returned to besiege Venice.

In April of 1441, once all the objectives have been met, both Milan and Venice were presented with peace proposals, which they hastily chose to accept.

Venice had to cede Romagna and Firenze (Tuscany) and Milan had to part with Emilia. In addition, Miland had to pay 100,000 ducats and acknowledge itself a vassal of Emperor Ladislas - a double insult as the Emperor was only one year old at the time.

hab03.jpg

From 1441 to 1457 Ulrich, and later Ladislas himself, followed the policy of peace, trying to give the country time to catch up and establish its rule in northern Italy. Following Venetian-Genoese conflict, which ended in a draw, even though at one time Venetians captured Corsica and Mantuans held Genoa, both Milan and Genoa were invited in Austrian alliance. Now Austria had two allies in Germany and two in Italy.

Gold mined in Styria, was lavishly spent on improving relations with all the allies. By 1449 Bavaria agreed to become Austrian vassal and by 1454 it was joined by Wurtemburg. All together, as Austrian Archduke, Ladislas had four vassals (Bavaria, Wurtemburg, Milan and Helvetia) and, as the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, he had scores of others - German, Italian and French (or Burgundian, to be more precise).

In 1457 Ladislas' reign came to an end. Elsewhere in Europe during his reign the following happened: Turks advanced even further in the west, causing some concern in the Imperial court. France took Maine from Provence, gave it to its vassal Bourbonais, annexed them both and then annexed Savoy for desert. Scotland lost its only vassal (Provence), but managed to re-annex rebellious Brittany. Aragon lost all but one province in Iberia to Castille and two provinces in France and Ireland.

hab04.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to add another house rule: since I had casus beli on all the countries I attacked so far, I am going to follow this trend and make it a requirement for future attacks.

I also intend to stick to my policy of keeping my expansion limited to HRE (with exception of Italy, which HRE emperors always desired so much) and try to act as a policeman when I cannot act as a conqueror (e.g. try to prevent foreign powers from gaining ground in HRE). Once I reach my objectives, I might change the rules of expansion, but here I am open for suggestions.

Good to see you back, nalivayko. Hope you sorted your troubles.

Well, nice going so far. Your house rule makes sense: it seems that Austria is trying to revive the old Roman empire, and laws do have to be respected in order to do that! You could, of course, diplo-vassalize the whole Europe after this!:) It's only fair, the plan of Otto III...

Very nice so far nalivayko. Good luck continuing to spread white over Europe! By the way, the link in your signiture to this AAR goes to your Caesars of Russia AAR instead of this one.

Last edited:
Alexandru H, I've done an aar once where I try to vassalize everything that moves. This game reminds me of it, the only difference is that I don't try to babysit my vassals anymore.

MAlexander06, thanks, the link is corrected and thanks, I will try to spread across Europe if my rules permit it :D

I've done playing through 1477, there's another 15 years left for Frederich V, expect an update after that :rolleyes:

The reign of Friedrich V: from Coronation (1457) to Burgundian Inheritance (1477)

Friederich V of Austria, also known as Friederich III, Emperor of Romans, became Archduke in 1457, and acceded as Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire a month later. A short period of guardianship he enjoyed over his nephew, Emperor Ladislas, increased his appetite for power. Once Ladislas was dead, why he died still remains a mystery to the common folk, Friederich's ambitions finally got a chance.

His first impulse was to peacefully annex Milan - an ally and vassal, but a very tempting prize, a key to domination of Italy. Fortunately for him and for Austria, a series of events abroad presented an opportunity even more tempting and promising.

In the west France was busy getting her act together and throwing English off French soil. English aggression in the north, in particular the annexation of Oldenburg, caused a lot of concern in the Empire and French attack was, if not welcomed, at least tolerated. Burgundy's rise, on the hand, was sincerely greeted.

In the Empire itself one state warred against each other, with Imperial alliance staying out of the power struggle in the north. Polish conquest of Pommern begged for intervention, but the distance was far too great to even think about direct confrontation. Poland was put on the Emperor's black list and for now forgotten.

Finally, Aragon, which suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of Castille, was looking for compensation elsewhere. Hoping that French-English war will divert every court's attention to Gaul, in July of 1461 King of Aragon declared war on Pope.

Ever since Aragon's conquest of Marches Austria was eager to take this province for herself. Besides, evn though relations between the Empire and Papacy were not always what one calls friendly, Pope still remained Pope, the head of the Church. If protecting him was not good enough of a reason to go at war in the eyes of Friederich, it certainly was a good excuse in the eyes of the rest of the Catholic world. Giving both sides time to exhaust themselves, the Emperor declared war on Aragon in March of 1462.

The war that followed was one of those wars that bards make songs about. It lasted for 15 years and, in nature, could be compared to the Punic Wars fought between Rome and Carthage hundreeds of years ago. Imperial military traditionally was land-oriented, while Aragon was an established maritime power. Imperial fleet was non-existant. Aragonese army could use a reform or two. Austrian strategy was to aggressively seek battles, Aragonese preferred to defend their islands, although later at war they mounted an offensive through Alps(!). At the end of the war Austria established itself as a dominant power in all of Italy, while Aragon was finished both military and politically.

As soon as the war was declared Austrian army invaded the former Papal province of Marches. Twelve thousand strong Aragonese army was annihilated by German cavalry, but Genoese arrival prompted Friederich to retreat from the province, as it would not be able to support such a large number of men and famine would certainly take place. The siege of Venice by Albert V taught Austrian army a lesson hard to forger and this time the Emperor had enough money to pay the troops and did not have to worry about disbanding them.

While Genoese, with help from Wurtemburg and Bavaria, struggled to take the province, another Pope's neighbour - city-state of Siena - decided to take advantage of Austrian-Aragonese war and take Rome for itself. The siege was brief and brutal, but not as much as the sacking of the city that followed. Outraged at this treachery (Siena was a Catholic state and the elector of the Empire), Friederich declared war and waited for the enemy army at the plains of Tuscany.

The foe was stupid enough to fall into the troop. Once Italians descended from the safety of Appenines, Imperial cavalry decimated their army and Friederich was free to invade their territory without much effort. However, the bad news were that Siena, although weak when compared to Austria, had a strong ally - the kingdom of Hungary - that did not hesitate to invade and capture Ostmarch and proceeded to invade Styria. In the same time another ally - Cyprus - sent an army that landed in Romagna, won a small victory at the beaches and marched all the way to Tirol.

With Austria in such danger, Friederich made his priority capture of Sienna. The race against time followed, which Austrians won by a couple of weeks. In July of 1465 Sienna surrendered to Imperial army. The city was forced to release Rome (temporarily put under Imperial protection), pay 100,000 ducats in war indemnities, confirm it's allegiance to Friederich as the Emperor and proclaim itself a vassal of Friederich as the Archduke of Austria.

Hungary and Cyprus had to recall their troops home, while Genoa made peace with Aragon, receiving Marches. That was a bit of a shock to the Emperor, but Rome was too good of a prize to feel sorry for Marches. Pope was allowed to return to the city, although his power was somewhat dimished, as even his own palace was now governed by Imperial troops.

Friederich now tried to make peace with Aragon, but the latter refused, hoping that without the support of the Genoese navy Austria would not be able to defend Italy against Aragonese raids. In the same time, her Scotish allies arrived at Piemonte and even Bretons revolting would not hold Scotland back from this epic struggle.

Friederich's strategy had to be altered. He saw that the only way to defeat Aragon was to have a navy and so he ordered a construction of one in the ports of Emilia and Firenze. At first, it consisted of only six galleys, but that was enough to land an army in Sicily and then another one. Aragon tried to intercept those landings, but evidently its own navy suffered badly at the hands of the Genoese in the beginning of the war. The result was first naval victories for the Imperial Mediterranean Fleet.

At the same time the army tried to eliminate the threat at Piemonte and, after first setbacks, succeded in doing so. However, as more troops were sent overseas, the combined armies of Aragon and Scottland re-invaded Piemonte and, almost as soon as Sicily was conquered by Imperial army, Scotts captured the province. The attempt to defeat the enemy invasion failed miserably, as the enemy army had more infantry and had an advantage in the mountains. As Austrians retreated south, Scots followed in their footsteps.

Friederich ordered more troops to be raised - this became his favorite reply to all bad news - and ordered the fleet to transfer the army from Sicily to Catalonia. Sardinia was still well-defended (some 30,000 Aragonese digged in the mountains) and Balears could easily turn from a target to a trap. Aragonese again tried to intercept the Imperial navy and even succeded in chasing them away... luckily, in the right direction.

Meanwhile, in August of 1469 Scots besieged Romagna. Austrians were finally able to defeat Aranoese at Piemonte and while the small portion of the army was left to re-take the province, the rest advance across river Po and attacked the enemy army. This ill-advised assault resulted in yet another defeat and followed by the loss of Romagna to Scotland. The enemy went on offensive again and twice defeated Imperial army at the plains of Tuscany - first the regular army, then the reinforcements. Scotish raid began to look more and more like an invasion of Hanibal.

Then France declared war on Scotland. It did not have any effect on the war in Italy, as Scots victories turned to be Pyrrhic at best (by the time they won their last victory they were outnumbered 10 to 1). Once their army was finally annihilated Austrians had little trouble in re-taking Romagna and Piemonte. French intervention, however, did help Austrian efforts to bring Aragon down. While Imperials took Catalonia and Balears, French were the ones to defeat large enemy force at Sardinia and once they were out of the war, Austrians had little trouble capturing that island.

Malta was more problematic. It was the last enemy stronghold and all the troops that survived the war managed to escape there. Imperial Fleet was in serious need of repairs and more ships needed to be built to land enough troops at the walls of the fortress.

However, the recent victories against the Aragonese at sea prompted the citizens of Firenze to build five warships and present them to the Emperor as a gift. Thus strengthened, the Austrians were able to transport about 13,000 men to Malta and defeat the garrison of 14,000.

hab05.jpg

The news of revolt in Istria prompted the Emperor to raise more troops in Austria, but the war with Aragon was coming to an end and, after a defeat of newly formed army, it was decided to let the rebels capture the province and try their luck in attacking the Imperial army. All went according to a plan and after the rebel army was defeated in Styria, the army pacified Istria.

The siege of Malta ended in August of 1475. In the same time Castille annexed Navarra, Denmark annexed Mecklenburg, and Serbia, Bosnia and Bulgaria declared their independence from Turkey. In Burgundy, Charles the Bold finally met his match fighting numerous German electors and Louis XI of France immideately occupied male fiefs of Burgundy - Bourgogne and France Comte. Concerned with her safety, Mary of Burgundy decided to marry Maximilian, son of Friederich V of Austria.

All of a sudden Friederich and Maximilian find themselves proud owners of all Netherlands but Gelre and Friesen and Alsace, not even counting claims on Artois and French Comte. They also get access to Munster - another ally of Aragon - and use Burgundians to fight couple of indecisive battles before making peace with Aragon.

In 1477 Imperial army captured Sardinia that enjoyed brief period of Aragonese rule after the French pulled out of the island. All of the Aragonese lands were now under Austrian control. The war gave way to diplomacy.

Initial offers of peace included the demand that Aragon should become Austrian vassal. Ferdinand of Aragon resisted this fiercely, preferring to lose all the provinces but Catalonia then his independence. In the end of negotiations he suprised everyone by marrying Isabele of Castille and declaring himself her vassal. Friederich, tired of these games, promptly settled for the islands of Sicily and Sardinia as well as 350,000 ducats in war indemnities. Needless to say, he never saw the whole amount promised.

hab06.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a very decentralized Austrian state. The war was quite interesting to read and I look forward to more interesting tales in the future.

Machiavellian, thanks for stopping by, more tales are coming :)

Decentralized as it may be (ot: I do like the way it looks, and it is more historical too), Austria is still well-connected through a number of allies. All lands in Italy connect through vassal states like Milan and Siena and our loyal ally - Genoa. The lands in Germany can be reached through our vassal states Wurtemburg and Bavaria.

All that and being an emperor on top of it makes me confident I can defend every province without a problem. Austrian Mediterranean possessions are somewhat problematic, but I have newly found confidence in my navy. Costly, yet efficient :D (and there's always Genoa to give me a hand in Ligurian Sea).

I think that it ought to be fairly easy to consolidate your Italian possessions with Austria by diploannexation, thanks to the excellent DIP monarchs you'll be getting in the future. The real annoyance comes with the Charles V Abdication event, which requires you to choose between keeping Northern Italy or the Netherlands, both of which are areas of concern for a prospective HRE builder (and you always lose Franche Comte) :(

Unless Nalivayko changed that event to suit his purposes...

Originally posted by Pablo Sanchez
I think that it ought to be fairly easy to consolidate your Italian possessions with Austria by diploannexation, thanks to the excellent DIP monarchs you'll be getting in the future. The real annoyance comes with the Charles V Abdication event, which requires you to choose between keeping Northern Italy or the Netherlands, both of which are areas of concern for a prospective HRE builder (and you always lose Franche Comte) :(

Unless Nalivayko changed that event to suit his purposes...

Should I? I was planning to give away Netherlands (I would only feel sorry for CB shields), wait for their independence and then reconquer them, but you're right, there should be an alternative to that.

So, if I may, let's have a vote:

A. Give Netherlands to Spain (they deserve it and parting with Italy is not an option)
B. Alter the event (cheat) and give Spain nothing.
C. Try to vassalize and annex Spain before the event.
D. Alter event, give Netherlands to Spain, but still keep CBs on it.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

I say B, for a few reasons.

1) it forces you to deal with the Dutch Revolt events, which is a bit of a bother for an expansionist player. (if you're going to expel all protestants I don't think you're going to be innovative enough to avoid the general estates :))
2) it is possible to give yourself a bit of punishment via the event effect and somewhat alleviate the 'cheating.'
3) finally, I don't really consider it cheating. If we're playing as Charles V or a reasonable facsimile we should have the option to leave the lands to our Austrian son and tell our Spanish son to concentrate on the new world like a good boy.

I don't think keeping the CBs on the Netherlands will work very well, because the AI doesn't tend to do rebel suppression adequately and they'll probably become independent anyway.

Personally I like option C...but that is just me. Great job so far...I bet your WE was pretty bad by the end of that 15 year war, though, wasn't it?

Alexandru H, A would certainly be fair (to the game), but I am so greedy :D

Pablo Sanchez, I don't understand why not D? I can still conquer Netherlands and my CBs will still be there. B is certainly the best, but I'd hate to alter the game so much.

Now, on the positive note, I do think we should get more power in events. If I selected rule the world from Vienna, why should I have to share then with my junior partner? :)

Anibal, Amric, my bb was about 7.8. I only took 3 provinces and I attacked with cb. Burgundy did not raise my bb that high either.

Amric, I wish C was doable :) I, somehow, doubt it. If I started with this plan in mind, maybe. But now... hm. Besides, I need a cb on Spain to attack her.

There are ways to manufacture cb's....claim defender of the faith and the moment they attack another catholic country, whammo! YOu get a cb. Or if you give them Netherlands you should get cb on them...etc, etc....