• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations! And a wild, wild ride it was...

I think you can count this one as a win. Seems to me you had more than your share of insane monarchs and scandals at court, and no one can prevail against that kind of luck.

Thank you for a great read!

13 pages of pure unmolested fun!

Not much I can say really. I think you improved my game in EU2. (understatement)

As for not being able to "conquer the world (R)", well, don't feel too bad, all things considered. I mean, what were you supposed to do with a Bhuddist nation, opposed by what is probably 2 of the worse opponents of the game (China, Russia) and managed to take and hold huge chunks of what was historically theirs.

I would call it a WIN, WIN!
As both an avid reader and with a cynic (all AAR writers cheat) mentality, I thank you for all what you accomplished. That is one of the best AARs I have read to date, (I think the best EU2 AAR!). If you so choose, write an AAR in 1.08 . However do spend some time with it before, because a lot of things that used to be exploitable, arent...

and last but not least in the words of my long (and some might say imaginary) ancestor ODYSSEAS, (you people call him Ulysses),

" It's not where you are going it is how you get there!"

I thought I would dedicate my first post to this excellent AAR. Please keep writing more of them.

Cheers...

A great and stunning success of an AAR Merrick! It has been an epic and enjoyable time following you through the trials and eventual triumphs of the Elephant throne. Any idea on your next project?

What a finish! Fast and furious right up to the last day! Bravo, bravo!!! :)

Very well done on all accounts as far as I am concerned. Where you fell short, you more than made up in other aspects. This AAR is truly one of the great ones, an epic tale for the roll of honor. Congratulations again!

Last edited:
fan-bloody-tastic even if you didn't annex tibet I think that however your conversion of Ajeh would make a brave man weap after all of that perseverance finally you do it right before the end. Bravo, encore, bravo.

The End

Thank-you everyone who read and commented - I don't think I'd have made it to the end without you.
And special thanks to Drozh - a first post is always an honour.

Some irrelevant information - I finished with 130 provinces (all Buddhist except for Muslim Malacca and twelve Konfucian Chinese provinces), 1 colony (Sorong) and 34 trade posts. I think I was the largest power in the game in terms of total provinces, but the game ledger stopped updating in the mid eighteenth century so I can't be sure.

My final tech levels were: Land 27, Naval 21, Trade 9, Infrastructure 8 - not very competitive on the military side (most European powers were over 50), but not bad economically.

Some people were asking about the rest of the world - I reloaded my last autosave and used the 'columbus' cheat to take a look:

India and Persia, showing why Delhi was a little too much for my colonial garrisons to tackle.
India_Persia_1819.JPG

Eastern Europe & Russia, showing just how far East the Swedes managed to get. They're also on the Black Sea, along with Bohemia (brown) and Mecklenburg (grey), while Genoa has managed to hold on to Kerch & Kaffa. Further south, Austria & Venice have split the Balkans between them - not a good game for Russia or the Ottomans.
East_Europe_1819.JPG

Western Europe, where Austria, France, Sweden & Bohemia are the big players. Not even a huge Bohemia could keep the BWB down! It seems to have been a game for Blobs, with Spain, England (in some very strange places), Portugal (ditto), Mecklenburg (ten provinces in picture) & Genoa (united half Italy) all doing well and very few small nations - Tuscany, Navarre and the Knights are about the only ones left.
West_Europe_1819.JPG

North America, where the USA has advanced through the Midwest, but failed to deal with the Iroqouis or remove the English from Manhattan.
The rest of the map is a complete mess explicable only by the AI's inept handling of colonial conflicts - in addition to the above-mentioned we have colonies currently held by France, Spain, Sweden, the Netherlands & Portugal. The Huron, Cherokee, Dakota & Navaho made it to the end.

East_North_America_1819.JPG

Central & South America where the Chimu are no more and the Zapotecs barely holding on, but the Aztecs and Incas are alive and kicking. I don't know what the Spanish did for their 4000 points - they didn't unite with Aragon or hold the Netherlands or Italy, and they had less than their historical colonial holdings. Oh, and the grey islands in the Caribbean are, you guessed it, Mecklenburg.
Central_America_1819.JPG

As to future projects - well, my first one will be to download 1.08 and get some practice (Otherwise the next AAR is likely to be 'I came, I played, I died'). I do have some ideas, but any more would be telling. ;)

P.S. Just saw your post, gordonah. Thank-you!

I'm just about to read the last installment off-line. But I just had to say well done. The best AAR by a long way. I hope you'll be doing another.

p.s. How many hours do you think you put into this project? More than you care to think about perhaps? :) . For those of us reading this, it was worth every moment.

Thanks a lot Merrick.

Ah, I remember back when this fantastic AAR was begun... Feels like it was the 7th century BC now... A Great Work of AARt. Long Live the Elephant! :)

Really, an excellent AAR. It had great action, I really liked the war coverage. And the way you incoirporated in game events so seamlessly into your story was amazing. It was so good I've decided to do my own AAR.

P.S. Also, if someone could tell me how to add pictures to a post; I'd really appreciate that. I'd like to have game clips for my AAR/RPG.

I just found this AAR, and I think I lost tonight's sleep due to it. Oh, well. There will be other nights, and this simply couldn't wait. It couldn't wait, that is, after I read the opening post.

What an excellent story! Your writing and your sense of humour made me laugh outloud. Are you writing another AAR? Because if you are, I'll be there.

Greg45

PS: I really like what Genoa has done with the place :)