• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
bump

A week without History Park!! :confused:

Whats happening? How can I help? Don't leave us with the cravings to know how it all turns out? Does Frank get free? China and Taiwan yet to be resolved...What about our various human heroes?

Eagerly waiting!

Thanks.

TheExecuter said:
How can I help?
Maybe you can offer him a well-paid job. With much free time to write. :D Seriously, Director has some problems to cope with in RL. Another fact is that he seems to be more inspired by his GalCiv 2 AAR ATM.

That said, I would like to read an update too. :p

Nil's right on both counts. I would like to add that Director has a stellar track record of finishing what he has started, so I'm sure we'll get to see this through to the end (whenever that might be ;)).

Hope circumstances will permit updates soon, Director. :)

You wish for an update has been processed.

Expected delivery: Within 72 hours.

Please remain calm while text is generated.

Thank you for your patience. We appreciate your business!

Chief Ragusa - "We're missing old friends."

Seems to me you've summed it up. Watch the gathering of the cast for the final acts.

Amric - no, nothing odd about his ears except his head is a little small for his body. Christopher Knight, eh? I'll take that. :)

Stuyvesant depending on the season he weighs 23-25 pounds, yes. And he is a handful because he's just big, not fat. That said, he's very sweet-tempered most of the time. just keep the food bowl full and nobody gets hurt!

Frank knows he is dependent on humans, he just doesn't like the fact. If he could control all those humans, he'd like that just fine.

I have never left an AAR unfinished and while I have breath and life I will continue. At the rate 'Dragons' is going that means I will never die. :p

coz1 - I think Frank does not realize that his showy antics serve mostly to draw attention to himself, which he really cannot afford right now. A truly intelligent AI is illegal under the Madrid Protocols... and there's the reaction of the peasants in all those 'Frankenstein' movies to consider. :eek:

J. Passepartout - he wasn't sinking his claws in, I promise. The last time I measured one of his discarded claw sheaths it was over 1/2 inch long. he has punctured a shirt or two in his time however.

Nil-The-Frogg - I am job hunting and it does take as much or more time than actual work. I have had a couple of inquiries but no offers yet.

I haven't the energy to do anything with 'Author's Choice' now but will make a decision before the end of the month.

Mac stays very clean. His fur is amazing.

TheExecuter - The GalCiv AAR takes less thought and planning because it's short, breezy and has no underlying plot. 'Dragons' has grown to the point that every line has to be considered and checked. It's also a relief (and a grief) to be bringing it to a close. That said, I do owe my loyal readers better treatment and you shall have an update this weekend.

Whoohoo!

Good to know that the story is still alive (apparently you headed the angry mob of peasants off at the pass!).

Good luck with the inquiries for a job...I am currently waiting while two companies interview other candidates.

Looking forward to the finish: Then maybe I'll have to try my hand at writing my own AAR (gasp...do I have time for that? I'm slowly being sucked in!)...first I've got to figure out how to install 1.09 without causing a CTD on game initiation...but I digress.

Good luck, and on with the show / story / drama / guilty pleasure / [censored] / ...

Director said:
I am job hunting and it does take as much or more time than actual work. I have had a couple of inquiries but no offers yet.
I know that sort of thing... :( May I dare to ask in which field you're seeking (not that I have any mean to help, of course).

Now I lay me down to sleep…

“Stop that!” Kevin muttered to himself. The prayer he had recited every night as a child seemed filled with ominous overtones now, but it kept running through his mind despite his attempts to think of other things.

The last time he had gone into VR he had been kept under for longer than anyone had anticipated, and the doctors had warned him against going back into VR anytime soon. Depression, they had warned. Alienation. Inability to accept reality; confusion; neurosis… he shoved that thought away, too.

Mask and fittings all in place or near at hand. Time to take the cocktail of necessary drugs. He gagged on the first taste, memories rising up to choke his throat in protest. But he forced himself to relax, tossed the shot over his tongue and downed it without getting much of the taste. His tongue felt thick and coated afterward, so he sipped a little water – only a little – and settled back into the warm, pliable bed. He pulled the helmet-like mask into place, making sure the nose and mouth holes were clear.

Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do.

… my soul to keep…

Blackness.

He stood on the same ground. It was night, as it had been before. Perhaps it was always night here. Certainly the riffling breeze was a night-breeze, cool and nervous. The same lightning played over the peaks; the low clouds threatened rain.

Joe had said to him, then, ‘A great dark evil is spreading over this land. My land. It must be fought, it must be stopped, for the sake of generations yet unborn. Even now, mighty powers are gathered to return us to the time and place where we may find our battleground. And you, Khefan, must help me.’ He had come full circle, one enemy defeated and another – greater – to be fought. The allies were scattered, the most powerful of their number held prisoner. Still, the hour had come and the call must be answered, regardless of risk and in spite of the slim chance of success.

If I should die before I wake…

‘Frank is making careless mistakes,’ Joe had said. ‘Given enough time, Frank will make mistakes from which he cannot recover. If we had the time to play for time… but the crisis is upon us, and so we must accelerate the crisis. For this, I need tools – and to use those tools, the people under my protection must be placed where Frank cannot strike at them. When you re-enter the game you will be on familiar ground. From the campsite, there is a path…’

There was indeed a path, a channel. The fiber-optic links from Park to outside world might all be shut off, but one – one! – was not dead. Instead the software loyally reported the line was as cold and dead as its many fellows. Even if a human had applied a tester to that line, it would have shown no activity… until now.

Kevin shrugged into the empty backpack and adjusted the shoulder straps. He looked around the campground, kicked at the ashes of the campfire – cold – and drew in a deep breath.

‘There is a way to open the path,’ Joe had said.

“I am going to feel like such an idiot,” Kevin said outloud. The breeze stilled and the night air leaned in close to listen.

”I AM THE PRINCE OF WALLACHIA!”

storm01.gif

Lightning flashed and thunder roared, and the Path opened up before him.

The cavern was as he remembered it: the cylindrical chamber, the striated walls, the rainbow flows of rock. The floor of lustrous yellow stone glistened under the chandelier. There was no dust, no sign of disuse. Even the fire crackling in the fireplace seemed to show the owner had merely stepped into an adjoining room minutes ago.

He stepped lightly across the floor and slung the pack from his back. Time to load up a few necessary items. It was the work of moments to snatch up the books and phials, working from the short list Joe had provided.

The gallery stretched straight ahead, thirty meters or more in length. The floor was flagged with marble slabs, intermixed black and white and dark green. The right wall was carefully floodlit, each warm pool of light centered on a picture that had been framed in gilded wood and carefully hung on the wall. The left wall was pierced at waist height for gothic-arched windows, elegant wooden shutters carefully hooked open. The chamber beyond still held the forest glade crafted of crystal and glass, a tableau that Faberge would have envied.

He walked to the portrait of Emperor Mihnea ‘Turcitul’ and studied it carefully. The giant portrait could serve as a portal to that point in gameplay, much faster than taking the winding route through the caves beyond. Despite the need for speed, Joe had strictly enjoined him to take the more difficult and less obvious route. With a heartfelt sigh he turned away, pacing down the corridor and turning into the poorly-lit cavern beyond. Without the need to breach the firewall, the path would be shorter and easier than the last time he had passed this way, but there was no time to be lost.

I pray the Lord my soul to keep!

Bound but not entirely helpless, Joe poked bits of code into jeweled structures and pondered the result. That should work, he thought. Fortunately it was not large, so sneaking it into the character file should be possible. He closed his eyes and concentrated on an imaginary crystal globe. Slowly it filled with a collection of faces. The face of Prince Mihail Viteazul was clearest and brightest, tokening Frank’s profligate use of processors and memory. The Prince seemed angry and preoccupied, which suited Joe’s needs. With a thought the globe rotated, characters sparkling in its depths. He selected one and pushed the code fragment in and down, lodging it securely.

Carefully he relaxed his control and opened his eyes. If he had been asked, Joe would have agreed with Machiavelli: Never do an enemy a small injury. Unless he was freed and able to act with all his power, he must keep his actions small and move by indirect ways. But the result of those actions must be unquestionably decisive. The effort was exhausting.

The trap was set and baited. Now he must wait for the tiger to repond.

TheExecuter - Your update, as promised. :)

I'd encourage you to try your hand at writing an AAR. This forum is an excellent place to develop some writing skills and the audience is supportive. :)

Nil-The-Frogg - I have two degrees, one in education and one in computer science (programming). I've been checking out employment in the programming field. I wouldn't mind going back into education, but the school year has already begun and the opportunities are non-existant right now.

I can understand why Kevin, or Khefan, might feel a little embarrased by yelling that out loud. A suitable reaction though to such a startling announcement. It makes me wonder, he was at the beginning of all this. There would be a symmetry with him being at the ending.

Joe is doing more or less what I would expect him to do. Just chipping away and being patient. That has to be one of the great differences between him and Frank, for I cannot imagine Frank lying bound like that and being so calm and collected.

I don't know the use of these objects (I mean programs) being collected by Kevin, and I'd bet he doesn't either. Speaking of programming, this must be a strange activity for an AI. Would be their equivalent of our biology and medicine... Wait a minute, I might consider becoming an AI... :rolleyes: Let's start by trying to become an intelligence first :p .

Franck is ressourceful, but I think I'd fear Joe much more. :eek:o

The storm approaches

Highlighting an additional portal that Frank may not know exists is a subtle twist of the plot.

Kevin's got all of Joe's little tricks and now all the trap needs is for Frank to fall into it. Then there's the finding of the Heart of the Dragon.

Ah, excellent to see another update. And so now Kevin rejoins the game, doing his best to follow Joe's orders. Here's hoping Joe's idea works because if it does not, Kevin (and the rest) could be in even greater danger. I did enjoy those little touches of rememberance as he moved back into the VR. Nicely done. :cool:

Director said:
TheExecuter - Your update, as promised. :)

A very nice thank you with sugar on top! :cool:

I really liked the original cave sequence, so now I'm excited to find out what happens this time....also, really good use of the prayer to set the mood. Go Kevin and Joe!

Back in the caves. I re-read the first two-and-a-half pages to refresh my memory. Funny: since this AAR is 3+ years old, there's a real sense of nostalgia to go back and revisit those first few scenes from way back. It enhances the story. ;)

Very foreboding update, with Kevin's prayer sounding in the background.

Not sure exactly what Joe is doing, but we can only hope it will help.

He held up a hand for silence. Then his head came up, eyes blazing. “Someone has opened a door,” he said. “A door… no, the trace is gone. But there was a door! An open door! I sensed it!” The others remained silent; Prince Mihail’s men were expected to provide instant and complete obedience, and they would not speak unless addressed.

“Someone knows,” He said. “My dear brother will not tell me. But there are others.” He pointed at a man in the rear of the group. “You. Go now and watch the quarters of General Heinrich. Pick out men to assist you. Keep track of their movements, and of anyone who comes to visit.” He departed silently. “Now, where were we?”

“My Prince,” a man in the front row ventured, “We were discussing the, um, men we have quartered…” His voice trailed off uneasily.

Prince Mihail pinched his nose between two fingers. “I hadn’t expected to wait this long,” he said. “But the time is not yet right.”

“We can’t keep a large body of men a secret for long,” another said. “I am sorry if this displeases my lord, but I think it must be said.”

“Split them up,” the Prince said, allowing his hand to return to the tabletop. “Send half – in small groups, mind – to that manor of Count Aron’s. Send a messenger today. And keep the men from sneaking off to town or tavern, however hard you have to sit on them. Another week is what we’ll need, I think.”

The abbot sat bolt upright in his chair. “By the Apostles, I think you may have found something indeed!” he said wonderingly. “A door, you say? There? I’d not have… Well, it is a heart, bless me! Of a sort. Yes it is! And I know just who should be told!”

He dismissed the patrolman and rang for his secretary. “Have a man sent round to me,” he said, scratching on a square of paper with a quill. “I’ve a message to be taken to General Heinrich. Oh, yes. Anyone that’s free will do.”

Moments later he waxed and sealed the folded paper. “To the General, mind you, or that man who is his assistant. And no-one else! If they aren’t at home, don't wait and do not leave the message.”

As the messenger trotted away the old abbot rubbed his hands briskly together. “Such a secret! My word. Who would have thought it!”

The general and his household were well liked and trusted enough to have a house in the City as well as apartments in the palace for nights when appointments might keep them late. The building was typical of the better residential blocks in this quarter of the City, a rectangular stucco and stone structure rising up three stories with no setback from the sidewalk. In total area it covered half the block; its neighbor covered the other half and was identical save for the pale blue color of its stucco. The ground floor was taken up with a wine merchant, a coffeeshop and a tailor’s storefront. The ground-floor entrance opened into a tiny foyer and guard post, behind which the staircase rose up to the residential suites on the second and third floors.

To this address came a monk in a thick dark tunic and sturdy sandals, the badge of the Order of Matthew the Apostle bright in brass on his breast. Because the late afternoon was warm and sunny, the entry was propped open and the guard was bored and drowsy. Neither the monk nor the guard noticed the men lounging in the little restaurant across the street. Those men had a good view of the monk asking his question and the guard shaking his head in negation; they couldn’t hear the conversation even on this quiet street but they scarcely needed that confirmation.

When the monk left, having given the guard no note or package, the men followed. At the intersection of the street with an alley they overtook the monk, who can be forgiven for his inattention; in his experience criminals did not assault policemen but rather vice versa.

Moments later, a passer-by would have seen a group of men helping a drunken friend along home, and would have thought no more of it.

stnylan - you'd feel a bit sheepish if it worked and properly a fool if it didn't. But it's not the sort of thing a casual passer-by would say. :p

Symmetry. Yes. The wheel is turning, but when it turns full circle the wheel is not where it began but farther down the road.

Nil-The-Frogg - Frank is the uglier of the two but I would concur that Joe is the more patient and thinks ahead better. Frank might club you over the head. Joe's revenge you would never see coming.

Chief Ragusa - Joe has provided the abbot with the clue and the Heart has been found. Now... who gets it?

J. Passepartout - Kevin has a critical part to play, and he is having to go forth into the dark completely alone. I do not envy him, but I admire his courage.

Kevin - and Joe - are playing to win. So is Frank. What's up for grabs is what constitutes victory, because it's not the same for all the players. An interesting and perceptive comment!

coz1 - the good guys have to win, right? No matter how dark the night, good must triumph and bring forth the dawn, yes? Heh.

TheExecuter - a short update this time, but an absolutely crucial one. Read it carefully.

Stuyvesant - Forboding? Well, it's always darkest before the dawn. It's also darkest before it goes completely black. In a few moments we're going to find out if any of our characters has a light.

You've heard of 'dog years', which is human years times seven? Well, this story is 3 years old in human terms and at least sixty in 'AAR years'. I am continually amazed - and grateful! - that my readers have kept up their interest. Thank you and bless you all!

At the intersection of the street with an alley they overtook the monk, who can be forgiven for his inattention; in his experience criminals did not assault policemen but rather vice versa.
That was a funny line. Particularly for the image it puts in my head: a pious monk using a hefty baton to vigorously beat seven shades of something out of some poor bumbling pickpocket, all the while extolling the Lord's mercy. I guess these monks of yours are no angels, eh? :)

I see Prince Mihail/Frank is planning a coup. But who are his minions? Both in the 'real world' of the AAR and in the game world? Simple AI constructs, or does Frank have henchmen, like the Chinese pilots he enslaved earlier? And in the game - are they people, or something more sinister? It's been a long time since we had any hints of vampirism in this story, but we're heading to a showdown, so who knows?

As to your 'clues' regarding the Heart of the Dragon... I'm probably going to slap my forehead when you finally reveal it, but for now I'm still wholly in the dark.