• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hum, I might be dedicated, but my internet connection is definitely not! :mad: It has been out for more than one week and I had to pay for support... Bah, I'm back now. OTOH, I'm so ignorant of military matters that a single post of comment for all those update might be better anyway ;) .

I particularly liked the suggestion of Sue. She might not be more aware than me about martial matters (yes, yes, martial arts are a whole other thing :D ), but her change of perspective sounded really appropriate and well timed. I fail to remember where I've read that it's generally interesting to have some noobs in a team of experts.

Also the image of the advancing army was interesting. Evocated me a giant grey-brown slug with silver urticant spikes to repel hungry rocs... :D

And yes, moving troops is certainly a hard task all by itself. I suppose that the strongest armies need the best logistics as well if they don't want to suffer some painful drawbacks... The funny thing is that historically, OE probably had the best understanding of this specific aspect of war in the 15th and 16th centuries.

Director said:
I hope things warm up for you (we've had weather in the 60s and 70s Fahrenheit all winter) and that your college offers loans or scholarships.
Well, we have an interesting system that allows unemployed people to keep receiving subsidies while they're back in formation. That and universities are by far cheaper than in US, due to state subsidies too :) . Of course, I'll have to convince them it's worth helping me :D . The only problem is that I still don't know who I'll actually have to convince in this administrative maze :wacko: .

Mmm, I wonder if Frank is going to learn that to despise someone, anyone (in this case humanity as a whole) is to allow them the chance to surprise you when you overlook something simple.

And Hitchcock is rather deftly handling those various officers. He acts in many ways like a sergeant.

Excellent writing as always Director.

stnylan said:
And Hitchcock is rather deftly handling those various officers. He acts in many ways like a sergeant.
Ah, but he IS a sergeant at heart! :p

The Prince looked around almost furtively. “I intend no slur on our valiant cavalry, General, but I confess I had not expected the army to be quite so… so blind.” Hitchcock resisted the impulse to look around for himself. What the Prince was saying was scarcely controversial, but secretiveness is contagious. He did pitch his voice just low enough to carry.

“The cavalry scouts make at best 8 miles per hour, Your Highness, and the infantry scarcely manages three. That means there is a limit to how far ahead we can push our scouts before they are out of support, and that determines how far out we can see. We’ve got the best part of two cavalry legions, and they each have one battalion of scouts.” Of the eight battalions in a cavalry legion, five were medium cavalry armed with sabers, and there was a batallion each of scouts, dragoons, and heavily-armored cuirassiers. "The scouts are mostly Hungarian Hussars and the kyrissers are predominantly Croats.” The Prince nodded gravely, but Hitchcock wondered how much of this was really sinking in. “The Turkish cavalry is almost all lightly armed and armored like our scouts. For us to gain any information we have to drive them back, which slows down our scouts and reduces our horizon even more.” The Prince nodded again, this time more firmly than before. “All that aside, we’ve marched about as far west as I thought we’d have to. I’d been wondering where the Turk army was.”

“Had been? You mean you know now?”

Hitch pointed at the horizon, a little to the right of dead ahead. “Light cavalry, Your Highness, are all infected with Mongol fever. Put a man on a horse and he plunders, rapes… and burns. It’s inescapable, I think.” The Prince jerked upright as the significance of the smoke plume struck him. “But General! Even though we are on the Sultan’s land, surely our cavalry would not… Oh! That is what you mean!”

Hitchcock nodded grimly. “Turk cavalry at the foot of that pyre, Your Highness, and lots of them to set a whole village on fire. That plume is too big to be a barn or even a manor. When we clear that ridge ahead, we’ll see something special, I think.”

General Bogdan trotted past the cavalry company deployed ahead of the Prince and made a casual salute, fist thumping on his breastplate and arm extended out with fist clenched. The Prince had made it known early on that he was no stickler for parade-ground formality, but the officers made certain the forms were observed anyway. “Your Highness, General! The scouts are reporting a large body of Turks in the valley ahead, marching southwest on the Smyrna road! It could well be the enemy’s main body, and if so we have a chance to flank them or even descend in their rear!”

Hitchcock was less sanguine but preferred to remain silent as the Army Commander waxed ebullient. It was a matter of moments to reach the ridge and dismount; horses made for a slightly higher but much less steady view. Ahead stretched a long descent to a wide valley floor, walled in by mountains to the west. Off to the northwest the valley funneled down to a pass; beyond it the village marked as Soma on their maps was burning greasily. Strung out from the pass to a point nearly due west was a seething mob that had to be the army of the Sultan. Even as they watched, it began to writhe and boil with greater energy than before; the Turks, too, had spies.

marchtosoma.jpg

“Can we catch them in the flank, do you think, General?” Bogdan was all but capering with excitement, grinning from ear to ear. Hitchcock looked at the units moving past – a battalion of vanguard cavalry – then up at the lowering sun, and shook his head. “If we keep on we’ll get the army down on the plain around dusk, General. I’d recommend making camp here atop the ridge, to guard against a surprise attack. We can move down in the morning.”

Bogdan stared up at the sun, then down into the valley, obviously estimating its width. “Damn. I’d hoped to go right at them while they’re strung out on the road, but I think you’re right. If I thought we had enough time for a pursuit…” Hitchcock was trying to make his own estimation, but of the forces displayed in the valley rather than the distance to them. Without a telescope – did they even have telescopes here and now? He hadn’t seen any – the distance, dust and smoke obscured all useful detail. It might be a small force with terrible march discipline or a well-trained host.

“First Centurion!” Bogdan was back on his horse, waving at the headquarters company. “Get a messenger up to the cavalry. We’ll make camp here tonight. All officers from Tribune and higher to my tent at dusk for orders.”

I wonder how old Hitchcock feels at the moment. Not only is he educating a frightening young prince, but he's yearning for telescopes. That's a serious sign, in my opinion ;)

Storey - if moving and feeding 20,000 people was easy, anyone could do it! :p

This is a long buildup, but it is sort of the climactic campaign of the story.

One confession - I've been playing along, and this game that I have whined, cried, complained and griped about has actually gotten to be fun to play! What happened? Well, I got gunpowder, judges and governors, and had a long peace. I'll tell you more of what happened to Austria later, but suffice to say they suffered repeated bankruptcies and lost 20 provinces in 35 years (to the Protestants, not to me). Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

Yes, the galleys kicked my ass. The Turks had slightly better land tech but 3-4 levels better naval tech. I finally brought up both fleets and tag-teamed the galleys until I drove them into port; by then it didn't matter.

Stuyvesant - you could have heard me screaming for miles. My plan, my beautiful plan... half my army trapped on the wrong blasted side of the water! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

J. Passepartout - I have a preferred strategy - I 'vulture'. I wait for the weak, the countries drained by years of war, the single-province minors. I HATE a 'fair fight'. This time, I got one in spite of myself.

jwolf - man, I set this war up sooooo carefully and I never saw those galleys coming. The one consistent bright spot has been the navy - I even beat Venice! So I was overconfident, had poor intelligence (both kinds) and got a giant Turkish Delight smack in the face.

coz1 - I'm pretty sure I had army and navy on full maintenance. I didn't lose any ships, either (well, 1 of 30). My navy just kept routing! I had a whole section planned around this dumb, foppish admiral... and it stank, actually, so I shredded it.

Nil-The-Frogg - I'm glad you caught that Sue was the one making productive suggestions (I think there were two - you can check).

stnylan - welcome back!

I think you could say that everyone in this little tale is having to grow up and few are managing it well.

Hitchcock is an effective manager. I did deliberately place him in a position such that he has a lot of control over what is to be done but doesn't have to worry much about how it is accomplished.

Any comments on the maps?

It's that time again... Mardi Gras has begun! The first parade rolled last Friday night, the balls are in full swing and the Moon Pies are flying! From now until the 28th, the Lord of Mis-Rule is in control of Sweet Lunacy's County Seat, the metropolis of old Mobile. Old Joe Cain is a'stirring in his grave, and the widows are gathering for another Second Line!

I confess, Saturday night I worked a Mardi Gras ball as a bar supervisor and it got seriously drunk out there. Sunday I slept; I had to, I couldn't feel my feet. :D

So! Since I have episodes already written, partying won't interfere with my writing schedule. All I really need is feedback (hint).

The Railroad Tycoon AAR is coming along, too, but getting any comments there is a lost cause. I think the writing is OK, but it is hard to keep going in the face of unanimous apathy.

Nothing firmed up yet, but I'm planning a little battlefield tour in April, taking in Harpers Ferry, Antietam and Gettysburg. More will be posted as time approaches.

Happy Mardi Gras to us all. I don't know about you folks, but a few days of carefree revelry is just what I need to blow the cobwebs out and get me ready for spring.

Laissez les bon temps roullez!
Throw me somethin' mister!
Let the good times roll!

Director, your google maps are pretty nice. They show, especially in a more rugged aria such as Asia Minor, that marching your 15 or 20 K army from here to there, all the while keeping watch for only partially known enemy activity, is no easy matter -- and that's something that is usually glossed over completely in the game.

Did you ever get the other army across the Bosporus? Hoisted by your own petard, huh? :p

On your comment about the game suddenly being more fun, I think I know the feeling quite well. You've gotten over a very dangerous hump, and now you can enjoy the ride. The rest of the game is your reward for many decades of careful management early on.

jwolf said:
Hoisted by your own petard, huh? :p
Ah, I first thought you were reffering to the bar supervisor getting out of commission due to drunkness :rofl:

I'm amazed with your last installment. So, you don't just need to look at the map to know where the enemy is? :eek: I'm starting to wonder if this story isn't a little too SF... :D

and that's something that is usually glossed over completely in the game
I would agree, with a single exception though. I've been several times in a situation where a beaten enemy was fleeing to an adjacent province, but I couldn't determine which one out of two or three. Oh, my, where will I send my forces to intercept them :confused: ? You get the picture.

Director, too bad about your RR AAR. I'm the complete noob in AAR world, but I thing I perfectly understand the importance of feedback to drive the author. Which is one reason why I follow only a few stories here (even if I'm certain there are many other jewels around), but try to post comments for them as often as possible.

Director said:
I confess, Saturday night I worked a Mardi Gras ball as a bar supervisor and it got seriously drunk out there. Sunday I slept; I had to, I couldn't feel my feet. :D

What you let that slow you down? I've woken up the next day feeling like my legs were cut off at the knees and it didn't stop me from tap dancing to the next party. :D

The maps are excellent. They give an additional dimension to your army's movement and the situation they face that would be difficult to show by just writing about it.

Joe

The maps are a nice addition, but I will disagree somewhat with Storey because so far I don't think they have added anything essential. Like scrollwork on a sword's hilt: impressive embellishment that does not add or detract from the sword's main purpose of having a very sharp edge.

I kind of get the impression that Hitchcock is feeling his age. As it were. Things are progressing nicely. If you are an imperial, of course.

The maps don't necessarily add anything essential, but they do provide an interesting pesrpective. As with all screenshots, they are not the story, but only an aid. Though, you might consider centering them or a border for prettiness. But I always like a good elevation map. :D

As for meeting the Turk, I loved Hitch's line about wishing for a telescope. I wonder how often that happens to him in the VR environment?

Enjoy Mardi Gras, sir! I know you will appreciate it this year more perhaps than past years in recent memory.

Morning confirmed the reports the scouts had brought in the early morning hours. Rather than advance and offer their flank for an attack, or turn east and deploy with both flanks on air, the Ottomans had moved back into the narrow little pass and deployed for battle. The Imperial army was not molested as it wound down onto the plain, save for the usual small swarms of sipahis. Morning gave way to noon and still the army rolled through its ponderous deployment, marching more or less west, then facing right and wheeling the former rear, now right wing, forward into line.

battleofsoma1.jpg

Deployments of the armies for the Battle of Soma Pass

Bogdan read the Turk dispositions as best he could; the janissaries were clearly deployed across the lowest part of the pass, slightly behind and to one side of the artillery. Lighter infantry held the hills on the sides of the pass with sipahis out in front and a small block of heavier cavalry situated on a rise to the rear. He thought the Turks intended for the Empire to attack the western end of the pass, exposing their flank to the artillery as they came up. Disorganized, the legions would then prove easy prey for a the Turk heavy cavalry.

Hitchcock proposed a defensive stance. “We have maneuvered to cover Smyrna city; let us hold the Turks until General Aron can come up.”

“I wish we could,” was Bogdan’s surprising answer. “They have enough force to defend that narrow pass; we don’t have enough to hold the wide end of the funnel. Our flanks are exposed, and flank attacks are what sipahis do best. We have to go in or move back toward Smyrna, and the fact that the Turks have fallen back on the defensive makes me sure we should attack.” Reluctantly, Hitch agreed. If an attack had to be made, Bogdan’s plan was probably the best: to drive the irregular infantry off the eastern slope on the Imperial right, flanking the Turkish artillery and janissaries while a second infantry legion came up the middle and the third held the left flank. Once the slope was achieved, the massed heavy cavalry of the two mounted legions would be launched down the valley like a bowling ball to blow open a hole and irretrievably wreck the Ottoman left wing.

Had there been a more secure position, or better roads, Hitchcock would have preferred to pin the Turks in place while marching a detachment over the mountains to turn a flank. Still, the Grand Vizier (his personal emblems confirmed his presence) sat obligingly while the Imperial army deployed and marched forward the last few hundred yards to battle, and that quiescence was encouraging. Equally heartening was the troops steadiness in maneuver; units pacing off the distance with pikes sloped and slow match smouldering.

Just about half-past noon, the Ottoman artillery began to thunder, huge stone balls wobbling through the air to plow furrows into the dusty dirt. This was bowling for real, and while the casualties were few due to slow rate of fire, the mangled state of the victims was appalling. Soon after the Imperial artillery opened an effective fire, trading about two salvos for one with their lighter pieces. As the Imperial infantry drew forward, the Turkish light infantry loosed their few firearms and the fight became general.

The 5th, an infantry legion, settled into a hammering fire in return, taking losses from artillery but driving the Turk light infantry back into deeper cover. Unable to clearly see the situation because of the dense clouds of gunpowder smoke, the legate ordered a charge, but the legion was driven back. As the 3rd came up the middle in support, it too was enveloped in thick grey-brown fog and ground to a halt under fire from the janissaries and the skirmishing light infantry.

Repeated assaults finally brought the 5th up the slope, where they reformed only to see the Turkish light infantry digging in on the next of a series of ridges. One battalion was taking a fearful toll on the Turkish gunners, who were held to their work under the lashes of their officers. Grimly, the Turk artillery plowed furrows in the battalions of the 5th and 3rd; grimly, the legions stood their ground and returned a withering fire.

Advancing yet again, the 3rd crashed into the Turkish guns, chained together to prevent their being turned. The 5th drove the last of the light infantry down in flight, only to be taken in flank by a janissary orta.

As the battle hung in the balance, Bogdan launched the two battalions of heavy cavalry down the valley, directly into the teeth of the Turk position. A scattered artillery volley scarcely slowed them, but the massed fire of the remaining janissaries broke the charge and the right side of the battlefield descended into chaos.

At length, the 5th emerged from the smoke, and the 3rd had no choice but to withdraw or be flanked. Dusk saw the armies back in their starting positions, weaker by a quarter of their strength in dead and wounded, but with no decision achieved.

“We cannot remain here,” Hitchcock said. “You said so this morning, and if it was true then it is all the more true now that we are depleted.”

“The enemy is weakened,” Bogdan argued. “And short on shot and powder, as are we, but farther from his stores than we. The 6th is still strong, and the cavalry.”

“You placed the 6th on the left because it was understrength,” Hitchcock pointed out. “General, we fought and we achieved a draw, but we needed a victory. We must withdraw on Smyrna, and if we must fight another battle, let it be on Imperial soil, on ground of our own choosing.”

“My Lord General,” the Prince said, and every head turned. He had been quiet in the aftermath of the battle, shocked no doubt by the noise and smoke and chaos, and had scarcely spoken since the meeting began. “My Lord General, did the army fight well?”

“Very well, Your Highness! The army did all that men could do. I am completely satisfied!”

“And the new drill? Are you satisfied with the performance of the army in that respect as well?”

Bogdan cut his eyes to Hitchcock, then squared his shoulders. “Yes, Highness. I would have liked a few more pikes… and a few more gunners… The truth is, Your Highness, even another cohort on the right might have turned the battle in our favor. It was not any failure of drill, or want of courage, but rather too few men at the decisive point. I confess I would not have believed the janissaries could deliver such a weight of fire. Had we come on in the old style with crossbows and a few guns, we might have been beaten, badly beaten.”

“Do you propose to renew the battle?”

Bogdan wavered; his warrior heart conflicted with the calculating mind of a general. “I am willing to make the attempt, Your Highness, but I cannot promise victory.”

“Then, My Lords and Lady, I submit to you that if we can accomplish nothing further here we must go to a place where we can win a victory.”

“Yes, Your Highness. It saddens me greatly, but… yes, Your Highness. First Centurion! Pass the word. Load the wounded on the empty wagons, discard all non-essentials, burn what we leave. Move the scouts out on the Smyrna road and get the artillery and infantry moving first. The cavalry will hold as rear-guard.”

Hitchcock waited while the officers filed from the tent, then approached the Prince. “That was bravely and rightly done, Your Highness. Most men would not have seen the necessity, or having seen it, been unable to make such a difficult decision.”

“Do you say so, General? In truth it seems to me I only told poor Bogdan what he needed to hear but could not say himself.”

“That is a rare gift, Highness, even were you twice your age.”

“I wish I believed I would live so long, Heinrich.”

“The army will not fail you, Highness.”

“Ah. The army. Do you know, Heinrich, I was rather thinking of my Imperial father. When he finds out I’ve lost a battle, wrecked an army and opened a province to the Turks, I fear he never will forgive me. In truth I am a prodigy of failure.”

“The measure of a man, Highness, is not in whether he falls but in whether he gets up again. Your advisors may be to blame – I do not exempt myself – but you are blameless here. While you are apportioning responsibility you might save a slice for those Turkish galleys, and another for the Grand Vizier.”

“I am responsible, Heinrich, and I lack the wisdom to set things aright. What must I do, now?”

That’s just true enough to make it impossible for me to argue, Hitchcock thought. He is responsible; that’s what royalty are for, and being unfair doesn’t make it untrue. What do I say? He is too old to coddle and too young for a good drunken binge.

“You must bear up, Highness, regardless of what you feel. This is the courage required of commanders. You must eat and perhaps nap while we ready for the march, and then you must ride along the army and show yourself. You must find it in yourself to be the Prince these men need.”

“And if I cannot?”

“If you could not, Highness, I would have packed you off to Smyrna city with your bodyguard hours ago.”

That brought a snort and a twist of half-smile. “Thank you for sparing me that.”

“And now, Your Highness, you need food, and rest if you can. We have a hard ride ahead.”

Valdemar - Hi! Good to hear from you.

Yes, poor poor me. ;)

J. Passepartout - my private suspicion is that RRT folk are not a literary breed.

jwolf - we'll hear more from Count Aron in the next installment. I owe coz1 and - oddly - Harry Flashman a debt for my conception of the good Count.

My difficulty is that I've got lots of new game to write about and no plot I can stretch that far! Any suggestions?

Nil-The-Frogg - you and jwolf and storey are right - the game doesn't capture the limited intelligence available to armies of the period. Thank God! It would be completely unplayable...

One of the advantages the Byzantines had was their extensive 'spy' network (frequently just collected reports from merchants).

stnylan - thank you for the compliment, and for putting things in perspective. Yes, you can 'Photoshop' too much - I don't like the unit markers in this last map, for instance. But I hope you won't mind if I sprinkle one or two maps in for seasoning.

Google Earth is infreakingcredible. If any of you can possibly get it - it is free but requires fast download capability such as DSL or cable - GO GET IT NOW. Google Earth is what God does to relax. :) (*whistles, spins the globe*)

Amric - I'm feeling my age too, my friend. Especially after Saturday night. I haven't spent that many hours on my feet in many months. Oh, I just got word my old bar is closing - new owner lost the lease. Another of my life's landmarks topples.

Things are progressing well? Not after my last post. :eek:

coz1 - I tried borders but they looked too 'modern'. I'll keep trying.

I'll appreciate Mardi Gras more because it is literally my last chance to go hoist a glass in my old pub before the contractors arrive and remodel it out of recognition. It is to be a restaurant and an upscale market. :rolleyes:

I had written a section about scanning the enemy positions with telescopes before I did the research. Maybe I could have made a case for the Imperials having telescopes, but I finally decided against and tore those paragraphs out. Just think though how hard it would be to pick out deployments with the naked eye!

The last section of this last post gave me fits, and I still don't think it's 'right'.

Director said:
Google Earth is infreakingcredible.

Wow you aren't kidding! What fun! :cool:

Joe

Ouch, I really should really try my best never to get a commanding post: as fascinating as I find your battles descriptions, I'm still lost. :wacko: Understand me well, your writing isn't in question, but I think I'm rather better at strategy than tactics. And I wouldn't consider myself a pro in the first area either. :rolleyes:

Ah, my girlfriend would heartily agree about Google Earth. She can spend hours playing with it, while I'm whining to get the computer back :rofl: . She has a formation as a geographer and cartographer, which might explain some things, of course.

I liked your last section. The only thing is that the prince seems a little to keen on beating his own back. But even this doesn't sound unrealistic, given his effective responsibilities and his willing to fulfill his father's expectations.

A nice confused battle, and our prince shows quite a bit of maturity. Now if he can only get over this tiny matter of a defeat he'll be a better man for it. Hitchcock is currently reminding more and more of Sergeant Jackrum from 'Monstrous Regiment' by Terry Pratchett.