• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've noticed it too, but it's never stopped gameplay, so I figured I'd just live with it.

I once tried to reprogram a scenario in starcraft, and it took me over 12 hours of working at it just to change one simple thing. (trying to make it give cash to beacons on time, repeadedly) so I know it can be a headache to change something simple. There probably is a fix that would not ruin and rivers, but I dare to think of how long it would take to devlop that, especially in a game so complex.

I'm quite happy with things the way they are.

G-spot Tornado said:
I wonder how the red line got there in the first place. Anyway, it´s awful.
Andrew explains how it got there in this thread, and while it's a little ugly, it's not awful. "Awful" is millions starving in Africa, not a red line on an obscure corner of the map in a computer game that's three years old.

I wonder if someone clever in the community can come up with a fix if and when Inferis successfully gets the .tbls figured.

I've just seen this. I might just be forced to investigate...

Owen said:
Andrew explains how it got there in this thread, and while it's a little ugly, it's not awful. "Awful" is millions starving in Africa, not a red line on an obscure corner of the map in a computer game that's three years old.

:D

Good one.

I can fix the problem in Karelia, but the problem with the Colorado River is different.

WiSK said:
I can fix the problem in Karelia, but the problem with the Colorado River is different.

Hey, this is kind of big news... you can fix one of the arguably two most wellknown bugs in the game, a bug even Johan find troublesome!

I hope Andrew sees your post soon.

Daniel A said:
Hey, this is kind of big news... you can fix one of the arguably two most wellknown bugs in the game, a bug even Johan find troublesome!

I hope Andrew sees your post soon.

No I'm pretty sure that Johan *can* fix it as well. Thing just is that Paradox have stated before that they won't change the map. So it's out of question.

Hive said:
No I'm pretty sure that Johan *can* fix it as well. Thing just is that Paradox have stated before that they won't change the map. So it's out of question.
Yeah, that's the unfortunate thing with the map, there are like eight(?) different versions of it and it's a big download. So even if I fix the bug for the English-language map, I'm not sure I'm allowed to distribute it (certainly don't have enough webspace). I can't even tell people which locations to change in a hex editor because somebody with the Polish map is going to need different information than someone with the Spanish map.

Still, when I release my editor, you can all change it yourselves. I'll include a how-to in the faq. ("Choose File|Open, choose EU2 folder, go to View Connections, select Kexholm from left-hand list, select Karelia from second list, click Move up, choose File|Save"). I'll also try to address the Colorado River problem, but that one is quite a bit of work for the user and will be easy to get wrong.

I haven't yet managed to fix the problem with the Colorado river since I've been distracted by how the lightmap graphics are put together. I will get to it soon.

In the meantime, here is the modification to the English map for fixing the half-border between Karelia-Kexholm and Karelia-Olonets.

Make a copy of your EU2\Map folder, then unzip these files into that folder.

WiSK, you may not be God, but you are the next best thing!!!!!!

And, if I may say, this makes me question the statements by Johan and others to the effect that the red line could not be fixed without buggering something else. I don't see any change to the rivers shown on the map.

Last edited:
WiSK said:
Yeah, that's the unfortunate thing with the map, there are like eight(?) different versions of it and it's a big download. So even if I fix the bug for the English-language map, I'm not sure I'm allowed to distribute it (certainly don't have enough webspace). I can't even tell people which locations to change in a hex editor because somebody with the Polish map is going to need different information than someone with the Spanish map.

Still, when I release my editor, you can all change it yourselves. I'll include a how-to in the faq. ("Choose File|Open, choose EU2 folder, go to View Connections, select Kexholm from left-hand list, select Karelia from second list, click Move up, choose File|Save"). I'll also try to address the Colorado River problem, but that one is quite a bit of work for the user and will be easy to get wrong.
You could also fix all the known graphical bugs (e.g. SICHUAN and XINJIANG swapped) and create a patch that fixes them by patching the files rather than replacing them making it a much smaller download.

DSYoungEsq said:
And, if I may say, this makes me question the statements by Johan and others to the effect that the red line could not be fixed without buggering something else. I don't see any change to the rivers shown on the map.
As I said before, Johan could fix it, but it's not worth the effort for Paradox. I am only providing a modification, while Paradox would have to provide maps for all language versions which would first have to be tested by the local distributors. Consider the extra bandwidth costs for 100 megs worth of patches plus the support costs. That is a lot of money for just a red line.

jdrou said:
You could also fix all the known graphical bugs (e.g. SICHUAN and XINJIANG swapped) and create a patch that fixes them by patching the files rather than replacing them making it a much smaller download.
Sichuan/Xinjiang and Samara/Ufa are a whole different problem, not just harder to correct, but also it would make all language versions of province.csv incorrect. Since I don't have those files (nor do I want them) I will only address these issues in the AGCEEP mod which is a single language.

Patching is something I did consider, but it would mean that the map modification only works for people with the Paradox English language version. However, eventually I will provide my editor for download (~1 meg) and instructions on how to fix all the issues yourself. Some fixes will be easy, some will be more complex.

P.D.Chenon said:
I found another one of these red lines, between lake geneve and Savoie its another strange line.
Never seen that one. Lake Geneva is not drawn cleanly on my version, but no red line. Which version are you running?

It's a red line which runs like a dog looking around its tail forever. I'm only waiting for the next game version (Eu3) where these bugs are surely deleted, so let's take about a moment!

Last edited:
Idontexist258 said:
My advice: Become Russia and conquer the region. The red line disappears against the Russian political color.
My advice, download the file from post #31.