• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jonlucero

El Captain
44 Badges
Apr 28, 2008
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities in Motion

A little thought from moi.

Hello, this is my 3rd AAR, and hopefully it wont end up like my previous stories, where the saved game file gets lost in a virus. This time I am confident I'll finish this one as I'm planning to make this one short. I'm writing in "narrative" to make it look and sound real. Hopefully, it will sound real to you too.. :)

I'm bad at history, events here make up my own plot, they make everything (from wars to advisors, to even why this number of men, diplomacy, etc) seem so much more rational. I've even included some rather interesting Lady Monarchs/Queens to the story! :D Names and events are fictional, although some of them may have been based on real life. And as usual, I'm currently still playing the game, so when I end playing, I start writing about it. I hope you guys enjoy the story as much as I enjoy writing it.

Contents:
(I'd recommend reading from here [contents] to make your reading experience as "undisturbed" as possible as there are "Continue Here" buttons that will lead you straight to the next post)

1 - Introduction
I - The Scandanavian Queens
II - The Danish Accusation
III - This is it Boys, This is War Part I ; Part II
IV - The Red Flag
V - The Kingdom in Distress
VI - The-Rest of Poland
VII - King Eric the Seventh Part I; Part II

Please do leave a comment..:) Thanks! oh and this is the intro page..:)

Ҹ Teutonic Knights Ҝ

It is 1399, October 14. As 24 rowers exhaust themselves to push a galley to docks, people line up the landing pier of Memel, shouting, pushing, all eager to get a glimpse of the envoy so many people have fallen in love with. Guards line up to protect a small path for the 6 foot tall Livland-born Teuton to pass. Pankraz von Krusenstiern all clad in his white surcoat with the black cross pattée, was the sight to see. He would always carry himself with so much elegance. That was his power. He had just arrived from meeting the Queen of Denmark, Margarette, a negotiation with Denmark, the selling of Gotland. Pankraz von Krusenstiern is one of the highest ranking Teuton in the Order of the Teutonic knights, he is headed by Konrad von Juningen, the Hochmeister, the Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order.

Von Juningen recently sold Gotland to the Queen of Denmark after destroying much of the island; the acquisition improved their relationship a bit and perhaps something else. Hochmeister Konrad von Juningen stated, "The island, Gotland, was filled with privateers, King Albert of Sweden then gave it to us. Perhaps, they couldn't handle the situation. Now I'm selling it back."

The Teutonic Order, as we all know is a small monastic state situated at the tip of the Danzig river to the Estland of Russian culture. The Hochmeister also commands a mere 3,000-man army, but has more than 7,000 able men aligned to the Order.

The people behind the Order’s Five Pillars.

Grosskomtur (The Grand Commander)
by default,
Hochmeister Konrad von Juningen
Our ever brave, ever smart, ever chaste, our omnibenevolent Hochmeister. He resides at the Marienburg Castle, Ostpreussen.

OrdenMarschall (Order Marshal)
Ulricht von Juningen
The Hochmeister’s brother. Ostpreussen's landmeister. Foreseen to be the next Hochmeister.

GrossTressler (Grand Treasurer)
Arnold von Keyserling
Our excellent economist, through his strict tax regulations, we get a hefty bonus in our tax revenues.

GrossSpittler (Grand Hospitaller)
Pankraz von Krusenstiern
He is like the Chief-of-Hospital of the whole Teutonic Order, very reliable. Just look at his stars, quite impressive. He was also appointed Foreign Affairs Officer (Foreign Minister) by the Grandmaster.

OberstTrappier (Quarter Master)
Walter von Cube
Assistant to the OrdenMarschall and has worked closely with von Krusenstiern. We have no idea where exactly he hails from(Cube? Where is Cube? Isn't that a shape?haha), nonetheless, he is a fine OberstTrappier.

eu31j.jpg

The Order’s 3,000-man army might seem undersized for most warmongers but the Order had reasons to keep the man count low. The sole purpose for the Order’s existence was defeated when the Grand Duke of Lithuania, later the King of Lithuania, Mindaugas was Christianized in 1251. In 1305, a Teutonic brethren witness to the Christianization claimed he once heard the former Master of Livonia, and eventually Teuton Hochmeister, Poppo von Osterna say, “This (Lithuanian Christianization) is truly a magnificent event.” But now it is nearing 1400, and times have changed, relationships have changed. Lithuania was seeking its land back from the Order. OrdenMarschall Ulricht von Juningen pushed for the creation of a bigger Teuton army.

callforthearmy.jpg

Continued Here...

Last edited:
2​

I. The Scandinavian Queens

Margarette Valdemarsdatter, the Queen of Denmark, Norway, Sweden, was both appealing and charming in many ways. One wouldn’t have to wonder how she managed to compel the leaders of Sweden and Norway to Danish rule. She was determined to unite Scandinavia. The Queen was also the one to invite the equally pleasing Teuton, Pankraz von Krusenstiern to their palace, The Vordingborg Castle. She had invited him to stay there for the length of his Danish visit.

Adelheid of Brunswick-Grubenhaben, the wife of the King of Denmark, King Eric III also resided in the Vordingborg Castle. She was very intelligent and a bit mysterious as she would “always” wear a short-sleeve dress during supper. During von Krusenstiern’s stay, she would constantly meet the Teuton for spiritual advice and also because both were German.

May 1400, more than six months from the Teuton’s return from Vordingborg, the Danish King Eric was “infuriated” upon learning that during the Teuton’s visit to the Castle, he had sexual encounters with his wife. Back in Ostpreussen, speculation raged over the misdeed of the Knight not only because of the maverick breach of diplomatic etiquette but also because every Teutonic knight swore a life of chastity. von Krusenstiern was quick to retaliate saying, “God be my witness, never did I even touch the gullible King’s wife.” The Hochmeister Juningen sided with his Grosspittler, he knew he would never do such actions. Only a few did believe in the Danish King’s accusations.

The King was all the more angered by their denial calling them “untruthful, distorted knights.” On the eve of June 1400, a messenger arrived at the Marienburg Castle. Hochmeister von Juningen had been working all night, he was too tired to attend to another “most urgent” dispatch. He made the messenger put the dispatch over at his bedside table.

In the morning, the Hochmeister woke up and prepared for the day as usual. After taking his breakfast only then did his concern turn to the dispatch.

Magister Hospitalis Domus Sancte Marie Theutonicorum Jerosolimitani , Hochmeister von Juningen. I have personally made it crystal clear to you and your knights that any provocations made upon me will result in your lands controlled by me, if not, for me. Upset as you are as you are reading this, I too was upset when I ordered my infantry to march. My men approach your harbors. -King Eric III

Denmark's allies soon followed. They were more than happy to wage war against the Teutons. Pommerania's King, Barnim VI said, "A sword for a sword." His kingdom, Pommerania was once attacked by the Order for "monetary" purposes. Well, Poland, obviously, wanted to take back the Order's land for their "cousin" Lithuania.

danishaggressionb.jpg

Continued Here...

Last edited:
Ouch mate, that's gonna be one hell of a war! Subscribed!

Yikes. That should actually be all right, though...the Swedish AI tends to be remarkably bad at fighting in Finland, and you don't even have a border there yet, right? (I'm thinking that you do because I always take Ingermanland from Novgorod fairly early on.)

Poland without Lithuania is MUCH less frightening and a narrow border. Pommerania is weak--Denmark is far enough away that they'll have to come through the Pommeranian corridor. So overall, you really only have to defend East Prussia, right? Not so bad, then...

Ouch mate, that's gonna be one hell of a war! Subscribed!

Thinking hard to make it interesting..haha! Thanks! :)
At least, Iknow I'm writing now for two people. Make that three, the third being my girlfriend, who doesn't know anything about history.. I made her read the story so that at least I'm sure someone, other than me, has read it..hahaha!:rofl:

Yikes. That should actually be all right, though...the Swedish AI tends to be remarkably bad at fighting in Finland, and you don't even have a border there yet, right? (I'm thinking that you do because I always take Ingermanland from Novgorod fairly early on.)

Poland without Lithuania is MUCH less frightening and a narrow border. Pommerania is weak--Denmark is far enough away that they'll have to come through the Pommeranian corridor. So overall, you really only have to defend East Prussia, right? Not so bad, then...

Yeah... You're right.. never thought of that way. Although, Poland w/o Lithuania IS a big relief. So, I'll be focusing my defense in East prussia. Thanks for the very helpful tip..:)

Last edited:

II. The Danish Accusation

Back in 1399 October 1, Pankraz von Krusensteirn arrived at the Vordingborg Castle as expected. He was there to make a "temporary embassy" for the Teutonic Order, and more importantly he was there for the transaction of the island Gotland. He was made to stay at the Karthäuser Building within the Vordingborg Castle’s compound. It was a two-floor building; the first floor was big enough to accommodate "close to a hundred people." When he saw his room at the second floor he said to his valet, “If I had this room appraised it would worth more than the lands our brethren (Teuton Order) own.” Modest as the knight was, he simply asked for one, smaller room. He had planned to make the room both as his bedroom and as his salon, “I’m only expecting three visitors to arrive, one from Denmark, one from Norway, and another from Sweden.” He was given a room inside the castle instead.

On the third day of his stay, Tarja from Finland asked for audience. Unusual as it seemed, the Finn asked for support in gaining independence, that if they should rise against Sweden, the Order should not intervene, in any way against them. “The Swedes do not even recognize our own language,” Tarja added. At the back of the Knight’s mind he had thought the man was crazy. Von Krusenstiern answered, “Scandinavia is one, it is best they stay that way.” The man left dismayed. The knight thought it was best to keep the discussion a secret.

After that odd talk, Adelheid, the wife of King Eric III of Denmark, came in. She asked for spiritual advice as she was very troubled “Skinny, small, always sick from the day I was born. I don’t think my husband even loves me, I long to go back to my father. You don’t know how I long to die.” She was always sad to the point of melancholy. Von Krusenstiern always made her feel better. She had visited him for ten days of the fourteen days the knight was in the castle.

Adelheid the early 30’s lady was not of the purest of heart, she was having an affair with a castle curator also a Victual brother spy. The Victual brotherhood was dissolved by the army of Hochmeister von Juningen at Visby, Gotland a year earlier. They were the privateers set out to skirmish missions against Sweden. The spy had superbly enjoyed much of the affair, as he would threaten to disclose the situation to the Kingdom if she wouldn’t do what he pleased. When she had enough, the spy made no hesitation to spread a rumor

The Lady Adelheid, the wife of King Eric III, spent most of her time, when the Teutonic Knight Pankraz von Krusenstiern was in the castle, with the knight. One evening, as I was roaming the castle corridors, I noticed a candle missing near the Lady’s room, I followed the traces and found the Knight and the Lady in an "unpleasant situation."

Eric III, gullible as he was, believed in every word.

III. This is it Boys, This is war

war1marching.jpg

10,000 Teutonic Knights marching towards Warmia, the East Prussian border

Continued Here...

Last edited:

III. This is it Boys, This is War

June 1400, a midnight letter officially began a war between the Teutonic Order and The Danish Alliance: Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and neighbors Pommenaria, and Poland. Thanks to OrdenMarschall Ulricht von Juningen’s call for a larger army, 10,000 knights were ready to be rallied. “This is it boys, this is war”, said the OrdenMarschall upon giving the orders for the army to be organized at Warmia. The primary orders for the army was to defend the East border from invading Poles. By July the 10,000-strong army was assembled at Warmia, no one other than the OrdenMarschall, Ulricht von Juningen commanded the army, dubbed Ost-Armee (East-Army).

King Barnim VI, the monarch of the kingdom of Pommenaria, didn’t waste any time to invade. Perhaps he wasn’t aware of the Teuton army gathering at Warmia. He sent his army to Danzig and saw what was there for him. Upon learning this, Ulricht, took a select, although still a significant number of men to Danzig. He faced King Barnim VI himself.

war2july1000battleofdan.jpg

“I never underestimate the capabilities of my enemies,” reacted the OrdenMarschall on the disparity of number of men in the Battle of Danzig. “And public law does not define any parity during war”, added the OrdernMarschall. He never thought Pommenaria would have a diminutive-sized army. So he took every opportunity he had.

war3sept300siegeofpomme.jpg

Siege of Pommenaria

In September 1400, Teutonic knights had been scattered all over Pommenaria.

Meanwhile, back in the Marienburg Castle, the Hochmeister was happy to receive news that the army had been fully expanded, he then requested for an update on the East Border, particularly with King Barnim’s Army, his OrdenMarchall simply answered, “Aufgelöst." or "Dissolved.” More paper work disturbed the Hochmeister. There was an alliance being offered by Bohemia, a good german friend of the Order. Bohemia had wanted to help the Order with Poland, but the Hochmeister did not want any more nations dragged into the war, so he declined. Fearing the potential of the Poles, he sent an instruction to his OrdenMarschall to defend Ostpreussen at all cost from the Poles.

war4oct1300messages.jpg

With the war against Pommerania nearing its conclusion, the attention of the war went back to the Polish border. The small regiment left to defend Warmia, called the "2nd Army", was sent to capture the fort in Plock, Poland. This was the first offensive move against Poland. Ulricht von Juningen stated, "Let us try the waters of Poland." The army was doing good at the siege of Plock, when scouts reported Poland’s king, Wladyslaw II was marching his “bulky” army towards Plock to liberate it from Teutonic siege. The 2nd army wasted no time to retreat back to Warmia.

war5march2601retreat.jpg

The "2nd Army" Retreating

Upon the 2nd army’s retreat, Wladyslaw II saw our progress in Pommenaria, and in turn wanted to liberate the small state. So in May 1401, he sent his army to our newly captured provice, Hinterpommern. OrdenMarschall Ulricht, commander of the Ost-Armee, was over at Hinterpommern, he did not fear the “obnoxious” Polish King.

war6may2101captureattac.jpg

OrdenMarschal Ulricht von Juningen faces King Wladyslaw II of Poland

Battle ensued. Although Ost-Armee was doing fine at the battle, the Armee was loosing men fast. Perhaps OrdenMarschall Ulricht thought it was best to let them take Hinterpommern for the time being. “The Polish King will have something to boast about back at his castle,” murmured a Knight after the defeat.

war7lostbattle.jpg

As it turned out, Wladyslaw II only drove us out of the province, after just doing that, he return to Poland, leaving the ill-stricken Pommenaria to the Order again. After months of siege and after a year of war, the whole of Pommerania was within our control.

war8sept2201pommerania1.jpg

Von Krusensteirn, the Grosspittler, together with his close friend von Cube, the OberstTrappier, made the deal with Barnim VI, they set out “a most profitable deal” for the Order.

war8sept2201pommerania2.jpg

In 1401, September 22, barely a year since his invasion in Danzig, Pommerania’s Barnim VI lost his bid in joining the war.

war8sept2201pommerania3.jpg

Continued Here...

Last edited:
Wow, I will have to learn from your AAR - it is very interesting reading it :)
Could you write a bit more about Riga ? Are teutons really so neutral to them or... do they have some future plans for them too ?

Wow, I will have to learn from your AAR - it is very interesting reading it :)
Could you write a bit more about Riga ? Are teutons really so neutral to them or... do they have some future plans for them too ?

Thanks!:D Riga? Yeah sure, there should be something interesting with Riga in the upcoming years. Personally, I want Riga for the Order, it is a bit annoying having a neuter country in the middle of the Teutonic Order.

Been very busy with my studies, had time today to continue where I left off.. :)

...............................................................................................................

von Krusenstiern was busy tending to the frontline infirmaries. The number of wounded, as well as, deaths were climbing everyday. von Cube, with working experience with von Krusenstiern at diplomacy, was given responsibility of handling the offer of peace from Eric IV, King of Denmark. Apparently his father, Eric III, had shamefully abdicated the throne after the successive loses at Pommenaria and Poland: the capture and vassalization of Pommenaria and the Bohemian attack on Poland. Although, Denmark was practically untouched, the Danish alliance have had enough kicks in the butt.

A Danish envoy was sent to von Cube’s quarters. Von Cube had been given instructions not to conform with an unconditional surrender from Denmark. von Cube had a lot to prove. He was smart, adept, and very skillful in handling situations requiring instant action. Sure, Cube had the aristocratic-sounding "von" in his name, but no one seemed to know where it had come from, and as many suspected it was on his own initiative, as indeed it was.

“Please sit,” invited the crafty Teuton. Von Cube sat at the opposite side of the table from the Danish man. Beside him was a Teuton brethren, Albrecht from the Marienburg Castle, there to facilitate the Hochmeister’s wishes. “Guten tag, Herr Walter von Cube und Herr Albrecht,” said the Dane in good German. “While it is impressive that your army was able to siege the castle of Barnim VI in less than a year,” added the Dane, “the order must take into consideration the sovereignty of the whole of Pommenaria, we wish to give you terms…” The envoy then gave the dispatch to von Cube:

Magister Hospitalis Domus Sancte Marie Theutonicorum Jerosolimitani , Hochmeister von Juningen. It is in our interest that the war be put to a halt. The only way this is achievable today is that Pommenaria be given back it’s territories at Vorpommern and the Order pay in war reparations. Once signed, Denmark, along with its allies will put down its arms and the holy order’s name will be marked with so many praises all over our alliance. The alliance will also make sure your army will no longer need to fight any longer from the unwise war that my father had started. –Eric IV

1danishpeaceoffer12801.jpg

von Cube after reading this stated, “If it is a question of creating an independent Pommenaria, the Order too can make one. The fact that you and your allies declared war upon us on a foundation as weak as a rumor, we will never abide by terms made by the likings of you, Danes.” The Dane answered, “IT WOULD BE WISE for your grandmaster to stop all these bloodshed, for you and for OUR God.”

“For the Order and FOR God, we will free your lands from malevolence,” von Cube declared standing up. The conversation was heating up, it was clear at this point that the relationship between Denmark and the Teutonic Order had hit rock bottom. The Dane then blubbered in dansk, which the two teutons could not understand. Quoting the Dane, von Cube insisted he return home, “’IT WOULD BE WISE’ for you and your party to return to your King with our word.” With that, the Dane left very disappointed. Albrecht commented after the Dane went out, "For the Order and For God, I started to wonder where he would be exiting the building. I was beginning to think he'd exit through the window, flying."

It started to look like the war would not be easy for the Danish Alliance and a lot more beneficial to the Order. It's end was nowhere in sight, for now.

Continued Here...

Last edited:
Yay, an update. Even though the update was all based on a peace offer, which was rejected. You remind me of my good friend Range.

Ah good song.

I like writing narrative, and would gladly get back to this (slowly..:D), if it wasn't soooooo hard to write.. I'm planning to write here again within a week, now wouldn't that be exciting for me? 2 AAR's at one time...:D

IV. The Red Flag

Upon the completion of Pommenaria's vassalization, on the planning table, heads would once again turn to Poland. "The Danes can wait," a Teuton general said. All of the Teuton army would gather up, all 10 regiments would now be under command of the Hochmeister, von Juningen.

8,000 troops marched from Danzig and into the Polish province of Kalisz. On the morning of March 20, 1402. the two armies faced each other again. From afar, Hochmeister von Juningen could see King Wladyslaw II in all his gloriousness and big flags. And at that instance he took a good look at the flag, he knew in one way or the other he'd come face to face with one
of those. He described it clearly while concentrating intermittently, "The flag contained a seal carried by the Lithuanian crown above it the pillars of Gediminas. The seal contained a knight. His horse's forelegs were both up in the air. The knight raises his sword proudly above him. He carries a shield on his sinister shoulder with the columns of Gediminas." That didn't seem to bother him, he was well aware that his brethrens carried simple banners and crosses. Right beside the flag he was describing was King Wladyslaw II himself. "Mind if you describe him as well, Brother?" Joked Ulrich von Juningen, the Hochmeister's brother. Hochmeister Konrad von Juningen replied with just a grunt. What he saw and described was the seal of Wladyslaw's cousin, Vytautas the Great. It wouldn't be too much a surprise for the grandmaster to see that seal as everyone knew how Lithuania and Poland would help each other. The battle would be a fairly big one as 16,000 men would take part in it. Before noon, every footman, every knight was in their strategic places.

150pxvytiscoalithuaniac.png

The Seal von Juningen had described.

"For the glory of God!" shouted a teuton officer initiating the first charge. Each knight shouted as they ran towards the enemy. They shouted until each shout drowned as arrows hit the ground. Cries for help took the shouts of confidence' stead. And soon, footmen from opposing sides confronted each other.

A number of other charges were initiated to the flanks, but one of most beautiful were the attacks of the special Landknechte or Landknechts of the Order. They wore big helmets with mighty big wings on it, only because those who wore these special armor were especially big men. Upon seeing them charge, one could easily see the fear that conquered the spirit of the Poles. One could just imagine how much they crippled the morale of the enemy. The grandmaster concluded, "The war against Poland isn't as easy as I thought it would be." He reacted upon realizing the difficulty in taking a single province from Wladyslaw.

4polishoffensivemay02.jpg

Teuton-Polish March 1402 Engagment.

knightq.jpg

"Special" Landknecht

While King Wladyslaw II was busy fending the Teutons off, another bad news reached Poland; another declartion war. Bohemia took advantage of the situation by attacking western Poland. That may be why they sent the Hochmeister an invitation for an alliance few months ago. And when the news reached the Hochmeister in Kalisz, he was relieved he now did not have to face Poland alone. The knights who heard this could'nt be more happier.

Meanwhile, von Juningen decided to leave Poland for the time being. "Let the Bohemians take care of Poland first and once they're down and unable to bounce back, we'll get them," adviced von Cube. "If we get their towns systematically, we'll just be able to own them after the war, adding more tax income," added Arnold von Keyserling, the Teutonic Grand Treasurer. The military was more than glad to return to Danzig from Kalisz.

5biggerwar72202.jpg

Bohemia joins the war by declaring hostility towards Poland and her allies.

Continued Here...

Last edited:
Just get Hungary into that war and half of Poland's yours.

Mind reviewing me Swiss PicturAAR ^^?

And, I believe, it is Ulrich Von Jungingen. Not Ulricht ^^
If you won't make Teutonic Order collapse to Poles with Ulrich, I will consider this a fictional AAR =P He really wasn't the one for the job.