• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ahhhh Im not sure the Protestants would agree. I recall reading Martin Luther writing somewhere (is it the letter titled To Christian Princes or maybe something else? Im losing track) that he wouldnt mind living under the rule of the Turks. Scratch that out, Persian rule, isnt bad at all.

Haha , really ? I'd love to take a look at that XD

Also, Captain Dias is now my favourite person in this AAR :p

I especially like his Spartanism :D

haha , i bet you do XD after all , he is inspired by your silly piece .

Ahhhh Im not sure the Protestants would agree. I recall reading Martin Luther writing somewhere (is it the letter titled To Christian Princes or maybe something else? Im losing track) that he wouldnt mind living under the rule of the Turks. Scratch that out, Persian rule, isnt bad at all.

What's better, a Spain that is clearly not capable of beating Persia, or a Persia that has just soundly trounced Spain?

Better to have Spain barely survive and then rebel :p

What's better, a Spain that is clearly not capable of beating Persia, or a Persia that has just soundly trounced Spain?

Better to have Spain barely survive and then rebel :p

Very true indeed XD

canonizeddemokratickid.png

You've Been Canonized!: demokratickid​

Good evening and welcome once again to You've Been Canonized! our interview showcase here on Timelines. If you're unfamiliar with the programme every so often a month we take an author and interview them to get to know more about them, their comments on Timelines, and about one of their latest AARs or projects! I'm your host, canonized, author of Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? and today's guest is the always awesome demokratickid author of Ireland, Ascend! Let's get to the questions!

Part I: The Kid Himself
Our guest answers a few questions about himself.

canonized: First , thanks for sitting down with us ! Would you mind introducing yourself to our readers ?

demokratickid: Sure thing! My name is demokratickid, and I hail from the USA. I'm an avid reader and writer, and constantly running into things because I stand 6'5" !

canonized: haha 6'5''; impressive ! And how did you first come upon AARland ?

demokratickid: I was loaned a copy of EU2 back in summer of 2007 by a dear friend, and I was looking to see if I could find a bit of help playing it. I found the forums quickly, and AARland soon thereafter. I was hooked from day one!

canonized: Now one might notice from reading your AARs that you definitely have a lot of love for history and tinkering around with it . Do you have any particular background or training or is it just a hobby for you ?

demokratickid: It's a lifelong passion, really. One of my first books that I remember reading for a grade school book report was a book about the Franco-Prussian war. Yeah, I was weird back then too...

canonized: You've written AARs both in Vicky and HOI2 : would you say those are your areas of historical interest and/or expertise ?

demokratickid: I would say so. The age of Nationalism to WWII is the area I study most, though I try to round off my knowledge in other areas as well...

canonized: Going between the AARland sub-fora of Vicky and HOI2 must have been interesting ! What do you think about the differences the two have as far as both content and atmosphere ?

demokratickid: HOI2 is a much faster-paced writing sphere. It garners you more attention, but I would say there is an increased pressure to perform. The atmosphere is always friendly, though, which is something I find quite gratifying...

canonized: It's true that HOI2--especially with its massive amount of activity--is a very chaotic place to write an AAR sometimes . What would you say sets you apart from the other writers there or would you say you're like most writers in HOI2 ?

demokratickid: Well, every writer is unique, so I think I am set apart in some way. I think I must hold the record for alcohol-references in a non-drinking AAR, so that must set me apart...

canonized: History book style usually isn't as popular as , say , a straight up gameplay style though both share similar properties . Why did you choose to write the way you do ?

demokratickid: Several reasons, I love reading big boring books about history and I hate writing in the first person. A nice third person commentary suits my writing habits better... Also, perhaps, my father is a professor and I have taken after his speaking manner and writing styles... So, I guess I was doomed to history from the start...

Part II: “Because It Was There!”
Let's find out demokratickid's views on Timelines.

canonized: How long has it been now that you've been reading Timelines ?

demokratickid: I don't remember exactly but I think for a little less than a year now, maybe 10 months...

canonized: Especially now that Timelines is on its third season , we've definitely been through a lot: how has the ride been for you so far ?

demokratickid: The ride has been like taking a rollercoaster through a massive zoo. Over the next loop-the-loop, you never know what strange thing will meet your gaze... But fun at every turn, I can assure you!

canonized: What initially drew you to Timelines and what's kept you coming back ?

demokratickid: I'll quote Sir Edmund Hillary, "...because it was there!" I was amazed at Timelines's length, so I wanted to tackle the task. Not far through it, I realized what a good story it was and have been since enthralled. What's kept me coming back? I don't know, perhaps I am addicted!

canonized: Who would you say has been your favourite character ?

demokratickid: Well, I've liked a few along the ride though for now I'll say Trey. I've loved to watch his character develop quite a lot...

canonized: Speaking of Trey , he's a character set in our present time . What do you think of Timelines' method of telling a story both in the past and in the present ?

demokratickid: I think it's genius. You get the action and drama of an excellent narrative, and then you get another shot of it in a more modern setting... It's like a two-for-one deal!

canonized: For those whom you know that aren't as adventurous about reading a lengthy narrative as you are , what words of encoruagement would you have for them ?

demokratickid: I would tell them that they would only need to read the first few chapters without interruption, and the narrative would take care of the rest. By chapter XV I'd say any reader would be caught hook, line and sinker...

canonized: And as always , any guesses on what the Timepiece might be ?

demokratickid: Alright, my guess is a bit lengthy. I think the timepiece is not something physical. If man in our modern world with all our technologies has not created a time traveling device out of steel and fire, then the ability to travel time must be in our minds. After all, as of now the only way to get to the past is by closing our eyes and remembering, and the only way to get to the future is to close..
our eyes and imagine. Thus, perhaps the timepiece is truly the ability to concentrate the being rather than an object that acts as an intermediary between worlds and times past and future...

canonized: Haha what a truly interesting idea . I don't think I've had anyone come up with that response before XD

demokratickid: I feel honoured, in a way!

Part III: The Emerald World
And now to take a look at demokratickid's acclaimed piece !

canonized: So for those who perhaps have not read the Vicky portion of your Ireland AAR , how would you introduce this latest HOI2 installment of your piece ?

demokratickid: Ireland, Ascend! is the story of the Irish Empire. Having denied the Act of Union in 1801, Ireland won its independence in 1836, and has spent the last 100 years growing in industrial might and military prowess. In 1873, Great Britain, Ireland and Canada formed a powerful proto-European Union state called the BCEU, which stands for British Commonwealth Economic Union. The BCEU has since expanded its power to astronomical levels, and controls most of Africa in some form or another. Industry in Ireland is controlled by three big government companies, Guinness, Heiniken, and Guniken, which started as beweries but now employ over half of Ireland and produce everything from bombs to baby strollers...

canonized: Why did you choose Ireland in the first place ?

demokratickid: When I looked in the Vicky library, I saw that an Ireland AAR had never been completed, so I decided that this challenge was for me...

canonized: What kind of research did you have to do beforehand or during in order to execute your AAR ?

demokratickid: I did research as I went, because at that point history book style AARing was new to me. I had tried one in CK but it failed. Mostly, I just read whatever I could find that was free... Call me a cheap AARuthor...

canonized: One of the most noticeable styles of your AAR is the focus on the important men of the country and usually an exposition of them with their image . Which of these great men would you say you had the most fun writing about ?

demokratickid: Well, phargle would kill me if I didn't say Charles Gavan Duffy. HE was kind of the godfather of Ireland from 1876 to his death in 1903. Even through the opposition government of Charles Stewart Parnell (1884-1891) and the ineffective John Redmond (1892-1908) Duffy managed to hold onto power in some way or another.

canonized: One of the definite draws of your AAR is that it maintains the tense political action that you inherited from writing in your Vicky installment . Tell us a little bit about why you decided to focus on the politics especially , please .

demokratickid: Well, whether he likes it or not, Estonianzulu has been the biggest inspiration for my focus on politics and my AARing style. I find that writing about politics prevents any AAR, especially what I wanted to be a plausible history book AAR, from turning into a world conquest. It gives the reader something to think about beyond 'let's go conquer Siam!!!'

canonized: Now is the time in your AAR where war seems to be looming just beyond the horizon . What can we expect in the coming chapters ?

demokratickid: A lot of important preparation. The BCEU military is a bit underwhelming at the moment, following the reaction after the humiliating war with the Soviets in 1926. So, the expansion of the military and the attempts at the consolidation of the BCEU in the face of King George V's illness are what the next chapters should highlight.

canonized: And lastly , do you have any plans on any more AARs after this one is finished ?

demokratickid: I'll have to see how I feel, but since March of 2008 (with one exception), I have had an AAR going. So, expect more from me!

canonized: excellent that concludes the interview: anything you'd like to add ?

demokratickid: Yes, one thing. If anyone would be so kind as to read through my other AAR, called Historia Slovakae, in EU3, I would be very grateful. Compared to my Ireland series, this one hasn't done well. IMHO, its even better history-book quality!

canonized Well thanks again demokratickid and thanks to everyone who's tuned in for this week's installment of You've Been Canonized! Please tune in at the bottom of the month when we'll have yet another interview ! Good fight, good night !

Wow I love the interview!

I thought demo was from slovakia and < 6'5! I'm pretty tall and I'm 6'3! :eek:

Also a most interesting perspective on the Timepeice, and it was so convincing that I might think that too...

I thought demo was from slovakia and < 6'5! I'm pretty tall and I'm 6'3! :eek:

No, third generation American... :D Haha, well, it's hard to tell height over the internet... :rofl:

Also a most interesting perspective on the Timepeice, and it was so convincing that I might think that too...

Good! Another minion converted to my way of thinking! :D

I thought the explanation for the Timepiece was also quite clever , as well XD dk has a very strong imagination :D

I thought the explanation for the Timepiece was also quite clever , as well XD dk has a very strong imagination :D

If your poor, it's insanity.
If you're rich, it's eccentricity.
If you're dk, it's imagination.

:rofl: :rofl: :D

Haha , well why not , right ? XD

Just wanted to give a status report: working on it now and all day so it should be done in the next two days or so XD

Aren't you glad I've been rather regular lately ? XD

Yeah, just make sure to use a pad/tampon...at least you're regular. :p

I know, that one was in horrible taste, but you were begging for it (Kurt, take it from here :D)

Unlike someone we know eh?:D

Yeah, just make sure to use a pad/tampon...at least you're regular. :p

I know, that one was in horrible taste, but you were begging for it (Kurt, take it from here :D)

You guys are terrible and yes , you need to start writing regularly yourself , Bevan !

Also , update is 60% complete . Should be up either late tonight or early tomorrow :D

And if you're a dog mad about pizzas... better don't ask... Peti still strongly believes that the Timepiece is a prototype for the Nuclear Powered PizzaMaker. What he means by that it's beyong my imagination.

And if you're a dog mad about pizzas... better don't ask... Peti still strongly believes that the Timepiece is a prototype for the Nuclear Powered PizzaMaker. What he means by that it's beyong my imagination.

Haha , Nuclear Powered PizzaMaker . Somehow i feel as if there's some truth to it XD

As you know, I'm going to Portugal on Tuesday, so you have to update the AAR before then :p

Might be a tight squeeze but we'll try XD Update should be up in the next 24 hours at most .