• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part 13 - Embracing the heathens... with chains

EU3_17.jpg
Recently, Francois I's court has been beset with theologians and missionaries. Though a faithful Catholic with much repentance, the King find that their chafing presence and preposterous piety has put quite the damper on fun at the royal household. Time to put the good men to work - preferably overseas.

With a stroke of brilliance, Francois I decides to go on a Crusade. This should please the Pope, and more importantly give the missionaries something to do, rather than chastice his majesty for groping the scullery maids.

EU3_18.jpg
War is declared. The Turk might have been a danger, if they would bother sailing west of Malta. As they won't, the outcome seems obvious.

EU3_19.jpg
Certainly, this is a pleasant bonus. Our forces land in Tangiers, and await there. It has the highest support limit, and is thus the ideal battleground for our invading forces.

EU3_20.jpg
Moroccans charge our position. Superior numbers, yes. Sufficient numbers of cavalry, no.

EU3_21.jpg
Their monarch lacks shock value, too. The result is none too surprising.

EU3_22.jpg
French cartographers decide that the province of Burgos rightly belongs to us. Clearly, the Castillians simply forgot to hand the lands over in the last peace resolution.

EU3_23.jpg
Ten thousand French cavalrymen are dispatched to Tunisia, split up and sent to siege local fortifications. Worries of Ottoman intervention prove to be unfounded.

EU3_24.jpg
After much chasing, the Moroccan main force is routed. Sieges begin.

EU3_25.jpg
Provoked by patriot rebels in East Anglia, the Scottish king declares war on their neighbor. Still reeling from earlier wars, England can provide only token resistance.

EU3_26.jpg
A quick war later, Scotland's claims swells further. The French court considers intervention after losing our only land corridor to the majority of English holdings, but in the end, caution triumphs.

EU3_27.jpg
With London isolated and the London Rose set ablaze by drunken Scotsmen, The English King sets up court in Yorkshire. Given the cost of moving a capitol, this is taken as a desperate ploy.

EU3_28.jpg
Tunisia is secured. A peace settlement is negotiated, giving us our first heathen provinces.

EU3_29.jpg
The bothersome men of cloth are immediately urged to relocate from the French court to North Africa. After the king pays their fare, they merrily depart. Complaints are heard from a few of the scullery maids, but otherwise the court approves. The people of Constantine are none too happy either.

EU3_30.jpg
In their constant craving to conquer Sardinia, Savoy has once again declared war with pretty much all of Italy. This time, however, there are no rebels to distract their enemies. In a humbling peace, they are forced to release Genoa. Unfortunately for them, Milan does not head the alliance.

EU3_31.jpg
Naples does - and within a year, Napolese forces have secured Savoy. They soon lose Nice in a peace settlement, awarding France with a new neighbor.

EU3_32.jpg
Our war with Morocco is concluded, leaving us with even more heathen territories. Freshly trained clergymen are immediately given a 'scolarship' in cultural studies abroad.

EU3_33.jpg
Our warmongering has raised our BadBoy level considerably. Maintaining control of the Curia is turning problematic, but we cannot be deterred. Portugal must be dealt with before we can relax.

EU3_34.jpg
Bored with hiding behind walls, some of the garrison forces in Ifni venture out for a stroll - a long stroll. When they finally return, they've mapped out a whole new province, ready for colonization... if only we had a core province port near enough, and the natives could be persuaded to live elsewhere.

EU3_35.jpg
A suggestion to let the Lorrainian-French border follow the river is bluntly rebuffed by our neighbor. Our advisors feels this rebuttal constitutes an insult sufficient to yield us a claim on the entire far side of the river, namely Barrois.

War with Lorraine seems inevitable, yet we stay our forces. With a little luck, we might also gain cores on Valciennes and France-Comte. For now, we can tolerate the prestige loss. There are other lands we need to secure.

good job indeed :)
i tried the blue blob , but i've some probleme to stay at low BB , i'm at 22.5 in 1414 ^^ foolish iberians ! and i don't get disputes to save one point here and there ^^

Sprites, just embrace the Bad Boy image. It worked for Motley Crue! :D

I just started a game as France to see just how far I could push things. It's 1475 and my BB is about 88 from memory. Mind you, I own all of modern France, 3/4 of Iberia, half of England, 3/4 of Holland and now about 10-15 provinces in the HRE. My biggest problem in fact is keeping my Stability high, takes me about 3 years to regain a stab point now. Well, and the fact I need to watch relations with the Papal states so I don't get excommunicated. They're dropping at 18+ per year form my reputation! :eek:

Great fun though. :cool:

Back to the AAR, go Scotland! Though the fact they're too silly to link up their holdings in a peace treaty with traditional Scottish lands is puzzling to say the least. Why not take Northumberland and Yorkshire so they at least have contiguous holdings? Would sure help their rebel problems. :confused:

the scottish AI is rather weird , in a meck game i've seen them took 3 tomes east anglia and later lose it to english patriots

The Duchy of Bat has always belonged to French.
And while Charlemagne created the Spanish Mark, the rulers must have promised that whatever land they or their descendants might conquer is to be a part of France. :cool:

FEEDBACK
Great job in Africa!
Thanks. :)

good job indeed :)
i tried the blue blob , but i've some probleme to stay at low BB , i'm at 22.5 in 1414 ^^ foolish iberians ! and i don't get disputes to save one point here and there ^^
Gaining BadBoy with France is the easiest thing in the world. I came to realize that just a little bit down the road... :)

One thing to remember about the disputes, they do have a Mean Time To Happen, and apply to borders... so if your borders are fluctuating frequently through rapid conquests, the event is less likely to occur. Be at peace for a couple of decades, and see what happens... ;)

Sprites, just embrace the Bad Boy image. It worked for Motley Crue! :D

I just started a game as France to see just how far I could push things. It's 1475 and my BB is about 88 from memory. Mind you, I own all of modern France, 3/4 of Iberia, half of England, 3/4 of Holland and now about 10-15 provinces in the HRE. My biggest problem in fact is keeping my Stability high, takes me about 3 years to regain a stab point now. Well, and the fact I need to watch relations with the Papal states so I don't get excommunicated. They're dropping at 18+ per year form my reputation! :eek:

Great fun though. :cool:

Back to the AAR, go Scotland! Though the fact they're too silly to link up their holdings in a peace treaty with traditional Scottish lands is puzzling to say the least. Why not take Northumberland and Yorkshire so they at least have contiguous holdings? Would sure help their rebel problems. :confused:
88 BB is a nice, tidy sum. Bet you can't wait for the Reformation to avoid sending the Pope tons of cash boosts. :)

Given that BadBoy boosts stab costs, that particular woe does not surprise me. Then again, once all those provinces become cores, your monthly income should balance some of that out.

Scotland seems to manage the rebels just fine, by keeping their army in East Anglia and thereabouts. How do I know this? Because I had to station an army in Kent, to fend off the frequent 'exports' from the Scots. :)

the scottish AI is rather weird , in a meck game i've seen them took 3 tomes east anglia and later lose it to english patriots
That does not happen here... yet... Once France decides to maul Scotland, well... :D

The Duchy of Bat has always belonged to French.
And while Charlemagne created the Spanish Mark, the rulers must have promised that whatever land they or their descendants might conquer is to be a part of France. :cool:
...now, now, don't expect me to know my history. I can't recall we had much of anything regarding the EUIII period. It sorta went from Vikings to Columbus to Napoleon, and then onto the World Wars. Took many Paradox games to teach me something about the missing bits. :)

Part 14 - The Portugal Gambit

EU3_36.jpg
The time has come to pay Castille another visit. Our core in Burgos must be secured - and more importantly, Castille is an ally Portugal is far less likely to abandon.

EU3_37.jpg
Holland, however, immediately abandons Castille - but that is of little consequence. France finally has a war with Portugal. Time to secure the New World by mauling the colonizers. :)

EU3_38.jpg
Richard I of Brittany died without cementing relations with Aragon. As a result, Aragonese nobles picked one of their own as monarch. Our aggressive move towards Castille stirs them into action, and they promptly declare war. The old alliance with Brittany still remains, though...

EU3_39.jpg
Reinforcements marching from the north, having taken the shorter route through Brittany, suddenly found themselves in hostile territory, resulting in battle.

EU3_40.jpg
This time, though, Aragon does not want to stand alone. They agitate the Berber pirates to also intervene, which they do.

EU3_41.jpg
To further muck things up, Algiers brings friends.

EU3_42.jpg
The diplomatic situation doesn't look too good, but fortunately our enemies are weak by themselves - and as they do not hang together, they shall certainly hang by themselves. :)

EU3_43.jpg
Castille, with their completely demoralized garrison forces, is overwhelmed with a quick succession of short assaults. Our strongest foe would be Portugal. After some chasing around, their main army is routed in Braganca. The path is clear.

EU3_44.jpg
Andalucia falls to Granadan forces as we have no troops to spare against them. Castille is fully occupied, but as they are the alliance leader, the war must continue.

EU3_45.jpg
The fortress of Avignon falls. However, as we do not want six badboy points for a single province, they are granted very lenient terms.

EU3_46.jpg
After a protracted siege, the last garrisons of Portugal falls. As all their land is of their own culture, there is no need to delay a peace.

EU3_47.jpg
Especially when it reduces them to next to nothing. We do note that they have colonised Madeira and the Azores, but those are not yet cities, revealed by the 100% warscore.

EU3_48.jpg
Our BadBoy rating takes another jump. Even so, our expansion is not yet over.

EU3_49.jpg
Brittany is offered a very agreeable peace, retaining their original lands. In time, we might get a border conflict with most of those. Oldenburg will provide us another spearhead into the Holy Roman Empire. Perhaps it will be of use when the Reformation comes about.

EU3_50.jpg
Peace with Castille earns us another two BadBoy points. Burgos comes BadBoy-free. Left with only one port now, Castille's fleet will push their bankruptcy cycle into overdrive. At this rate, they'll never even see their first National Idea slot open up.

why didnt you grasp Madeira ? with it not yet being a city, you had the occasion to send a colonist and turn it to cosmopolitaine culture, on top of securing a bridge for further colonisation ?

Can only guess he's waiting for the mission to get rid of them. That is if my memory is working and there is indeed a "wipe Aragon from the face of the Earth" (generic or not) mission for France.

Either that or he couldn't be bothered with diplo-annexing them.

Part 13 - Embracing the heathens... with chains

:D

And thoroughly good work so far. Keep it up.

Why didnt you vassalise avignon?:confused:

I imagine it's the decentralisation issue with diplomatic annexation, coupled with the fact that (IIRC) you need a low BB to do it. As France is due to be growing slider moves are going to become more and more infrequent and stability harder to recover when the stability drop event fires.

Really good AAR so far i tried to do something like this before with france but my last game crash i captered OE territories in greace and they addventullay fell and turned into Turkey but not much eles happen like your stragey have to try something like that soon....keep it coming....

FEEDBACK
why didnt you grasp Madeira ? with it not yet being a city, you had the occasion to send a colonist and turn it to cosmopolitaine culture, on top of securing a bridge for further colonisation ?
I was about to say 'because I couldn't see them', since this was before CotNW... but now you made me realize that since I saw the sea zones, I could have invaded during wartime... D'oh. :)

So I guess the answer is 'because I'm dumb'. ;)

Why didnt you vassalise avignon?:confused:
I loathe vassals, especially in a World Conquest game. I certainly could have vassalized Avignon, since it's surrounded by my lands already; others won't annex it for me...

I guess my best answer - other than personal preference - is that if they're left on their own, they'll make alliances, and as long as they're part of one, they're easy to occupy for some war score against the alliance leader. :)

Can only guess he's waiting for the mission to get rid of them. That is if my memory is working and there is indeed a "wipe Aragon from the face of the Earth" (generic or not) mission for France.

Either that or he couldn't be bothered with diplo-annexing them.
The 'wipe the x' mission is a generic one, not a France-specific one. It would make things easier, but what I'm really hoping for is a Border Dispute. A core on the province before the DoW would make things much easier - and cost less in terms of BadBoy. :)

:D

And thoroughly good work so far. Keep it up.
Alas, I'm not quite in a position to exploit them (convert) properly just yet. Even so, until 1650, my BadBoy allotment is better spent on the 'half price' heathens. It won't be good for my tech rate, though... :)

Very nice AAR! You're doing great. :D
Thanks. :)

I imagine it's the decentralisation issue with diplomatic annexation, coupled with the fact that (IIRC) you need a low BB to do it. As France is due to be growing slider moves are going to become more and more infrequent and stability harder to recover when the stability drop event fires.
Ever since the decent hit got in, diplomacy went out the window for me... Unless I'm Austria trying to make a very decentralized Germany, or something. :)

Slider moves indeed become steadily more infrequent. My best bet is still to get a few moves by event. Starting with heavy serfdom or heavy narrowminded usually doesn't bother me, since Patron of the Arts can push you fast in the 'right' direction on those two. However, France starts with those already on the 'right' side... :)

Really good AAR so far i tried to do something like this before with france but my last game crash i captered OE territories in greace and they addventullay fell and turned into Turkey but not much eles happen like your stragey have to try something like that soon....keep it coming....
Thanks. Best of luck in your own game. :)

Part 15 - Settling Scores

EU3_51.jpg
Our new BadBoy rating.

EU3_52.jpg
The Aragonese campaign comes to a close.

EU3_53.jpg
With this crushing peace, Aragon is reduced to a One Province Minor. Time will tell if they're absorbed by someone else, or if France gets a Border Dispute core on them...

EU3_55.jpg
Granada falls.

EU3_56.jpg
As does Tripoli.

EU3_57.jpg
Back home, the people rejoice in our continued enslavement of foreigners... since troops abroad can't stay home and cause trouble for the peasantry.

EU3_58.jpg
Napolese messengers inform us they wish an alliance with France. However, given their proclivity for declaring war on the Pope once every five years, Francois I declines.

EU3_59.jpg
The good people of Normandie no longer consider themselves Norman, but true Cosmopolitaine. Caux remains the last stronghold for the Normans.

EU3_60.jpg
The colonization of Tuat commences. Deprived of explorers and conquistadors, frontier forts are still the only way to discover and conquer the unknown.

EU3_61.jpg
Once the slider move allowance comes around, we push towards Naval again. A weak Grand Admiral is the outcome, but we have no need of him.

EU3_62.jpg
At last, Algiers is fully occupied, and reduced to a single province.

EU3_63.jpg
Yet, all these conquests are having a remarkable effect on our BadBoy rating. It is time to think very carefully of our future moves. Perhaps it is time to calm down and wait it out.

EU3_64.jpg
The results look fairly impressive, though. After almost fifty years of gameplay, this isn't too shabby a result for a "pacifist" France. :)

EU3_MAP_FRA_1448115_1.jpg
Finally, a look at the global situation...

EU3_MAP_FRA_1448115_2.jpg
...and the French slice of it.

kebzero: ...The fortress of Avignon falls. However, .., they are granted very lenient terms.

was 75 ducats all they had ? ? :rolleyes: or, all they were willing to part with ? ? :D

kebzero: ...Yearly Reputation Change: Current Ruler: -0.60 ; Curia Controller: -0.25 ; Reputation Limit Modifier: Current Ruler: +6.00

does that -0.85 Yearly Rep. Change a modified amount, or the total reduction in annual BB ? ? :confused: also, what does Reputation Limit Modifier mean ? ? more :confused:

kebzero:
...With this crushing peace, Aragon is reduced to a One Province Minor.

sweet ! ! :)

kebzero:
...Granada falls. .. As does Tripoli.

splendid ! ! :)

kebzero:
...Back home, the people rejoice in our continued enslavement of foreigners... since troops abroad can't stay home and cause trouble for the peasantry.

that was a very nice 'plus' ! ! :D

kebzero:
......and the French slice of it.

wonderful ! !

excellent updates ! !
:cool:

More good progress, great to see. Shame Portugal has 2 provinces left and no enemy likely to annex them.

kebzero: ...Yearly Reputation Change: Current Ruler: -0.60 ; Curia Controller: -0.25 ; Reputation Limit Modifier: Current Ruler: +6.00

does that -0.85 Yearly Rep. Change a modified amount, or the total reduction in annual BB ? ? :confused: also, what does Reputation Limit Modifier mean ? ? more :confused:
The -0.85 is indeed the yearly reduction in BB. With such small figures (and not that many ways to improve it much, especially early on) you can see why there is worry if he can manage it with staying under the limit. :)

The Limit Modifier adds to the amount of BB that you can reach before you become "despicable scum" and kick off BB wars. So you always have to be aware of your limit if your current ruler should die and you go from an 9 diplo monarch (+9) a lousy 3 diplo monarch (+3). If you're within 6 of your limit at the time, you can fall over the BB limit without actually doing anything.

FEEDBACK
kebzero: ...The fortress of Avignon falls. However, .., they are granted very lenient terms.

was 75 ducats all they had ? ? :rolleyes: or, all they were willing to part with ? ? :D

kebzero:
...With this crushing peace, Aragon is reduced to a One Province Minor.

sweet ! ! :)

kebzero:
...Granada falls. .. As does Tripoli.

splendid ! ! :)

kebzero:
...Back home, the people rejoice in our continued enslavement of foreigners... since troops abroad can't stay home and cause trouble for the peasantry.

that was a very nice 'plus' ! ! :D

kebzero:
......and the French slice of it.

wonderful ! !

excellent updates ! !
:cool:
Avignon only had 75 ducats to part with, yes. It seems my targets are all poor... but that's part of playing on 'normal'. :)

Azugal already explained it, but just to repeat...

-0.85 is the total amount. So, if I have 20 BadBoy, that rate (which is actually pretty good) means it'll take about 23,5 years to get rid of all the BadBoy points - provided I don't get even more. The Limit Modifier is how much your current monarch (based on Diplomacy rating) increases the threshold before everyone gets a free Casus Belli on you. On 'normal', I think the default limit is 25 on 'normal' difficulty setting, so with this monarch, my hard limit is 31... As stated originally, one goal in this game is to never cross this threshold, so I'll need to slow down my expansion for a while.

However, as demonstrated above, the so-called BadBoy wars can trigger long before that limit is reached. :)

More good progress, great to see. Shame Portugal has 2 provinces left and no enemy likely to annex them.

The -0.85 is indeed the yearly reduction in BB. With such small figures (and not that many ways to improve it much, especially early on) you can see why there is worry if he can manage it with staying under the limit. :)

The Limit Modifier adds to the amount of BB that you can reach before you become "despicable scum" and kick off BB wars. So you always have to be aware of your limit if your current ruler should die and you go from an 9 diplo monarch (+9) a lousy 3 diplo monarch (+3). If you're within 6 of your limit at the time, you can fall over the BB limit without actually doing anything.
Portugal is a bit of a bother... I'm still uncertain of how to deal with them, and I've done some blunders over the next decade. More on that a few updates later, methinks. :)