• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Libertad o Muerte! Pt. XXI - 1851

1851header.jpg

On the first meeting between king and cabinet in 1851, on January the sixth Prime Minister San Martín explained the state of the nation to the king. Due to the lowered taxes national income became dangerously low and future programs to improve the national economy would drag Platinea into debt. As this wouldn't be a longterm options the secretary of economy proposed to reduce the military and naval spending and use the saved money to further invest into industrialisation efforts. Over time, so the plan, these investments would return a profit due to higher tax income. General Gutierrez, Chief of the Army, and Admiral Brown, Chief of the Navy, supported this concept as there wasn't any danger on the horizon. On the whole continent there wasn't an army or a naval force that was able to threaten the Platinean Kingdom.
With this initial actions agreed on Juan Bautista Alberdi brought forward an ambitious plan to populate and industrialize Platinea by maximum efforts within the next ten years. Alberdi set up the goal to increase Platineas population from 4,628,000 to 5,500,000, to reduce Brazil's population advantage, and to increase Platineas industrial capacities from 69 to 100 till the end of the year 1860, to strengthen Platineas position as the industrial powerhouse in southern america. If those two goals could be fullfilled the wealth per capita would be increased to nearly 2,0 enabling Platinea to compete with the USA for immigrants. Furthermore it was planned to connect vast parts of the country by railroad within this timespan. The last goal was to boost platinean science and research to slowly catch up with the european powers. This agenda was discussed a long time and many doubted that the goals could be accomplished especially as it reached far beyond the actual governmental term.
Finally the cabinet agreed on Alberdi's agenda who gained the king's support to increase Platinea's population and industrial capacities with maximum effort.

In January Bernardo Eunom Philippi who had been hired by Alberdi's bureau of immigration brought 12,000 german settlers to Platinea who settled in the wild Patagonia Occidental territory.

In March Esteban Echevarria finally published his political novel "El Matadero" ("The Slaughterhouse") which found huge readership among platineans of all classes and soon was translated in many other languages and became known in europe a short time after.

1851philippimatadero.jpg

Professor Sergio Panucci, a disciple of Hegel, who was teaching at UBA came up with a whole new thesis about Hegel's philosophy and reinvented Hegelian Idealism. The "Platinean school" or Panuccian Idealism went in a complete different direction as its european counterparts and made the independence and freedom of the individual to its fundament.

1851invention.jpg

1851idealism.jpg

In July some lucky settlers found coal deposits in El Turbio province. Soon the first prospectors and businessmen where at the site founding towns and establishing coal mines.

1851coal.jpg

In April the governments investments in to the industrial sector show first success as construction of a huge winery began in the outskirts of Buenos Aires. Construction would take 24 months but it was hoped that this was only the first step of a massive industrialisation programm.
In October a programm was commisioned supporting interested people in the city of Montevideo to start their own businessess.
In November many Buenos Airean farmers took well paid jobs at the glass factory.

1851industry.jpg

Author's note:
Selfmade event: Phillippi's first voyage
Selfmade event: El matadero

Yaaay update! :D

Good plans. Expecting their development.

Davis3xm: And the next one will be posted tomorrow, most probably.

Viden: If there are enough push factors in europe for emigration a I should reach my goals.

robou: 12,000 germans are 3,000 POPs, thats a sole raindrop upon a hot stone. (It's an uncanny translation but I think you get the point anyways). I hope for thousands more to come without further events.

asd21593: That's my long term goal. Make Platinea an immigrant heaven and 'steal' Lady Liberty (and probably Ellis Island) from the US.

demokratickid: Right. I'm curious how much time my capis need to set up the first steel factory.

I just found out that the VickyWiki refers to this AAR as "Great example of a militaristic Argentina". :) That's quite funny as I'm not an military genius like Quirinus or Qwerkus, but thanks for the flowers to whoever wrote it.

Libertad o Muerte! Pt. XXII - 1852

1852header.jpg

In January the Platinean government passed a bill to fund a large scale students exchange. This initiative aimed on the fast acquirement of advanced technologies by sending many platinean students to european universities. It gave a very slight boost to Platinean science on an instant but the real impact of this initiative would be known when all students will have returned from their studies in europe in a few years.

In June of 1852 more german settlers recruited by Philippi came to Patagonia Occidental and colonized the provinces of Cochrane and Magdalena. Convinced by the initial success of Philippi's voyages Alberdi gave him the task to establish "Platinean Immigration Offices" in the major european port cities to help possible immigrants to find their way to Platinea more easily. The first "Platinean Immigration Office" was established in Hamburg in August furthermore it was planned to establish offices in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Bremerhaven, Antwerps, Le Havre and South Hampton.

1852phillippistudents.jpg

The studies of Thomas Robert Malthus became widely known around Platinean universities in 1852. Malthus believed that population will grow exponential but that production of food would grow only linear leading to greater poverty and famines. This dystopian model lead to greater migration from the populated regions (like europe) to the rather unpopulated ones (especially to the americas in early nineteenth century) to prolong the so called "Malthusian Catastrophe".

1852invention.jpg

Encouraged by the economy friendly policies a conglomarate of businessmen from Montevideo founded a company and began construction of a fertilizer factory at the outskirts of Montevideo. Construction should be finished on January the first of 1853.
In the cities of Santiago and La Paz those who could afford it took part in further education programs while looking for jobs in the soon to be oppened factories in Buenos Aires and Montevideo.

1852industry.jpg

Big news made the gold founds in Patagonia Oriental during 1852. Gold deposits were first discovered in Esquel province leading to a first wave of migration to Patagonia. Many adventurers went out into the wilderness to search for more. In September one group had success and found gold veins in Rio Grande province on Tierra del Fuego. Far behind in size and popular recognition to the californian gold rush more and more people, mainly immigrants, moved to Patagonia and began to crowd out the native patagonian indians.

1852goldrush.jpg

In September news of great concern from the city of Santa Fé reached the capital. People got ill by the dozens every day and local authorities feared for another outbreak of small pox. The Platinean government immediately draw away money from their economical program and spent it into several projects to increase sanitary conditions in and around Santa Fé. Several thousand pounds were used to set up a proper canalisation and a modern hospital.
As the year came to its end another huge public library was opened in Santiago by a private intitiative. Popular interest was high from the very beginning and literacy grew in the city and its surroundings. San Martín appreciated this private initiative stating that education and literacy would be essential for the nations future. Furthermore he promised financial support from the state for any further private initiatives to set up public libraries.

1852publiclibrary.jpg

Author's note:
Selfmade event: Phillippi's Second Voyage
Adapted event: Students Exchange & Importation of Technologies - adapted from the Paraguayan event file

Fertillizer? We need steel!!! Well, anyway, I noticed the Paraguay event rippage, and I was thinking that was familiar and then I saw the author's note... :D Very good work, sir! :D

Great AAR, just finshed reading it after seeing that you won the AAR showcase. I'll continue to follow form now on :)

Quanto: Sorry, it seems I've overlooked your comment last time. You shouldn't be upset as I'm not getting a 'crapload of immigrants'. That's why I made some events to boost immigration. I can tell you that it's quite impossible to excell the US by matters of population. (They have som 20,000,000 citizens while I have only 5,000,000. Even if they wont get any immigrants in the future their reproduction rate would be the fourfold of mine, making this a rather hard task). I have seen a lot people around the forums getting a population of 220,000,000 with Uruguay in the 1930s but I don't have a clue how to manage this. But I'll do my very utmost to compete with the US. At least it should be an easy task to excel Brazil in matters of population...

demokratickid: Sorry, no steel here. And I don't see some steel factories in the near future. But maybe the fertilizer factory gets our economy humming, too. There will be some more 'ripped events' in the future (from the paraguayan, uruguayan, chilean and bolivian event files)
And many thanks for awarding me the "Weekly AAR Showcase".

Tommy4ever: Always a pleasure to see someone new around. And it's a special pleasure to lure someone from the HoI-forums to the Vicky-forums.

Ah, okay. Well, I think those games of Uruguay getting mad pops was a result of Vanilla vicky, not Revolutions.

On a side note, those are some really nice events you've put together, I was wondering if you'd be willing to share them in a zip file later? Would make South America a lot more interesting!

Libertad o Muerte! Pt. XXIII - 1853

1853header.jpg

In February 1853 the liberals professors at the UBA concentrated their efforts on ideological thoughts about liberalism with the intention to add new dimensions to it and making it more popular among the platinean population.

1853invention.jpg

Very soon the first works were published and widely debated all across the country. A few weeks after the these publications professors from the universities of Cordoba and Montevideo got involved by negating, supporting and modifying their colleagues ideas.
The Union Liberal quickly adopted these new ideas and promised to incorporate these in their governmental policies after reelection.

18536techs.jpg

In April the winery at Buenos Aires was completed and started of well. But in Buenos Aires and the surrounding towns were still hundreds of workers demanding assignment. Rather than waiting for the government to do something about their dire status a young immigrant by the name of Brian O'Donnell took action himself. He lended some money from Buenos Airean businessmen and began with the construction of Platinea's first paper mill.

1853papermill.jpg

Just a few month after the fertilizer factory began production the german immigrant Konrad Feuerbach began construction of a brewery in Montevideo itself. He received wide support among the big community of german immigrants in Montevideo. Instead of lending a huge amount of money from just one person, as it was common these days, he sold share certificates among his fellow german immigrants.

1853breweryy.jpg

The governmental financed further education programs came to new heights in 1853. Some 150,000 persons, former farmers and labourers, took part in these programs to receive training for future work in factories. The participants were mainly 'south andeans' from the regions of Santiago and La Paz, but aimaran and guaranian people were among them to. In Uruquay province a special program was initiated in January to get the fertilizer factory running.

1853poppromotion.jpg

In June 1853 the outstanding Giuseppe Verdi, who migrated to Platinea in 1850, staged his famous opera 'La Traviata' for the very first time. The opera became a huge success and many people came from europe and northern america to see it in its original form in the magnificient opera house of Buenos Aires.

1853composer.jpg

Argentina is becoming quite the booming and cultured state. Surely it is only onwards and upwards from here on.

demokratickid:...And many thanks for awarding me the "Weekly AAR Showcase".

Anytime! And now, another excellent update to prove why this deserved my nomination! :D

Indoctrinate? :p

Looks like the Revolution did not just bring political changes but also a cultural and industrial boom. Nice.

And do hurry up and promote those clerks! I'd hate it if the conservative dinosaurs gets in power and reduce all those precious plurality points down. Platinea's future is immigration and immigrants don't like bigotry, hmph!

Tommy4ever: Industrial growth is absolutely what I wanted. Cultural developement is a bit harder. I have more culture techs as the UK but if it pays of (by gaining Prestige points) is quite random.
And the Italians and Germans will have massive amounts of prestige after their unifications and will be a hard competition.

demokratickid: Well then I shouldn't hesitate and give you another update

Irenicus: Yes the industrial and cultural boom can be feeled and seen anywhere in Platinea, but especially in the Region around the mouth of the La Plata.
I think I almost promoted all POPs to clerks/craftsmen who had been assigned for this. We will see soon if this effort was just enough to keep the liberals in power.

To all: Pt. XXIV - 1854 which goes up to the elections will be posted later today while Pt. XXV - 1854 which will show you the 1854 general elections will be most probably posted on monday.

Libertad o Muerte! Pt. XXIV - 1854

1854header1.jpg

On the first of January 1854 Prime Minister San Martín granted statehood to the territories of Patagonia Oriental, Patagonia Occidental and Tierra del Fuego. The patagonian gold founds in 1852 attracted immigrants from europe by the thousands. The native patagonian indians were vastly outnumbered by european settlers. At the beginning of 1854 the patagonian indians made up only 20% of Patagonias population.

1854patagonia.jpg

Only one year after the first two private run factories began production the bosses of these companies looked out for ways to improve the efficiency of their workers an therefore there own profits. The single working steps in those factories became more organized and therefore more efficient.

1854invention1.jpg

Work classification was the first step to more organized factories. While the bosses joyful about the increased profits the workers were incensed about the fact that their work became more and more nonnatural.
Rationalism was discovered on the theological faculty at Rosario University in March which gave religion new space in a liberal society but put human reason above divine revelation.

1854events.jpg

On the firsts of May and June the last further education programms ended enabling another 70,000 platineans to work in factories in the future.
While the last programms were still running the graduates from the first programms were already moving to the La Plata region seeking employment and better living conditions.

1854poppromotion.jpg