• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thlawrence said:
Out of curiosity, how did India piss off that many people? I assume it had to do with thier recent aggresions against Georgia.

It wasn't so much a case of India pissing people off, as people never really liked them that much in the first place. Additionally, India has lots of rich land, making it worthwhile to fight them :cool:.

hyme said:
god fasq is still so strong. How do you do it fasq?:D

*shrugs* I just applied some common sense and a little elbow grease. The changes don't really reflect my country's strength though. Georgia is still in shreds from le great gangbang. Nor will it ever fully recover. The military muscle this session came from France and Prussia.

fasquardon

The military muscle this session came from France and Prussia.

Finland also figth bravely there....and we have nothing agianst Indians, but we are just always considered Kashmir to be natural part of our realm:rolleyes:

But this war was mainly a Georgian preservation war...After the peace was signed, the odd part begun when Mallacca dowing and Sindh troops not engaging into any battle against thus giving a free ride for Mallaccas growing evilness to took peace loving indians under their domain of pain and darkness!

Shouldn't anyone protect poor Norway from Africa? :(
I mean it isn't like Britanny earns anything from owning England...
Not until Ricky at least :eek:

Are you kidding? There are french provinces in England from the original Breton occupation, plus factories, and everything up to at least Scotland is *not* considered overseas.
How is it possible that it's NOT overseas?

How is it possible that it's NOT overseas?

I'm pretty sure North Africa is still considered "Europe", as they act like any province when you conquer them with ie. Spain or Portugal. For example you still get full taxes instead of tariffs.

Wow, I didn't realise quite how hard Sind was getting hammered. Just as well I was dis-invited from that war.

As for Brittany: England shall be reconquered. Sus shall be destroyed, its people scattered, and the fields sown with salt; no stone shall be left on stone. The Breton nobles shall be exterminated, ad extremum fetum, to the last unborn child. We shall call in the wild peoples from the jungles and the deserts to rule where French cities stood, and vines shall cover the ruins; bitter melons shall fruit in the pleasure gardens, and ape and elephant shall root through the empty houses. A thousand-year darkness shall descend on the savage continent, and when at last it ends no man will recall that once there was a nation called Brittany. In this I speak truth.

But just for the present moment, as a temporary tactical expedient, there will be no war; Norway and Brittany are allied against the threat of Georgian expansionism.

(As an aside, notice that the last two AARs have taken place 60-75 years before the present game time, hence their utter unconcern with this invasion. I'll try to catch them up, but not least of the reasons I'm a bit annoyed with ulmont is that I won't be able to finish this story arc with the detail it deserves. C'est la vie, c'est la guerre.)

Ouch, poor Norway. Didn't even get Narraganset either by the looks of it, and lost not only south England but the Norwegian provinces in England and even York!

If your Vicky population was low before, KOM, what's it like now after losing your homeland for a second time (since England had effectively become the center of Norwegian power for the past few centuries...). Is it safe to say that Norway has been beaten back down to being the world's weakest power again (possibly with the exception of Sind, I suppose)?

As for Georgia, well I guess the Georgia-isn't-that-strong line has been heard before in this game... but somehow defeats just never seem to stick to them and they always seem not only to hold what's theirs but even to grow in the end (as with Sind this session...) :D So my hat is off to Fasq for keeping his nation relatively intact for so long! Only Russia and China hava had the same territorial stability, it seems, but they haven't had a big #1 target on their backs...

Last edited:
Gah, at least Norway is civilized in the current conversion....:mad::mad:

(As an aside, notice that the last two AARs have taken place 60-75 years before the present game time, hence their utter unconcern with this invasion. I'll try to catch them up, but not least of the reasons I'm a bit annoyed with ulmont is that I won't be able to finish this story arc with the detail it deserves. C'est la vie, c'est la guerre.)

A book, then?

December 29th, 1741
Dovre, Norway

Bjarte leaned back in his chair and sipped wine to soothe his raw throat, feeling every year of his age. Seventy-five years since he had come here, and the Enemy still eluded him. Soon it would be time to give up, to admit that the Enemy had proven stronger than his best effort and go down into the long dark. This winter might do it, now that Ingrid was here to take over. There was no longer a real reason to hold on. If Lena had lived, he might have given up already. But she was gone, disappeared into the Australian desert, as Vegard had gone before her, killed by the explosion of a healing spring. Gone, and left him alone to struggle on, and with nothing gained: No word of the Enemy.

He became aware that he had gotten lost in his thoughts, as old men will, and lifted his eyes to look at Ingrid, to see how she was reacting to the news that everything had gone wrong. Twice before he had given this briefing. Vegard had nodded and made suggestions on how the healing springs might be approached without setting off the traps; Lena had gritted her teeth together and begun planning expeditions to search for the Enemy's hiding place. In the end the Enemy had got the better of them both.

Ingrid was looking at him, eyes dark with anger. He flinched despite himself; they had been lovers once, briefly, and he still remembered with respect the steely depths of rage she was capable of. She had won three duels, he recalled, to advance from the reserve to the first-line agents, against men half again her weight and reach.

"So let me understand," she said slowly. "There is another uptime country intervening in this history. Their capabilities are unknown but probably larger than ours. Their location is unknown. Their intentions are unknown. And you have let them bamboozle you into focusing on some stupid Christian missionaries, while Norway fights to control the Atlantic!"

Bjarte glared at her. "You think we haven't tried to take the offensive? Lena died searching for the Enemy's hideout! Our agents were the go-betweens for the alliance that broke Georgia's hold on the Indian Ocean coastline. Right now there are five of our people - two of my grandsons - in Georgia and Egypt, working as merchants and looking for clues. Do you think I can give you seventy-five years of tactics all in a day's briefing?"

"Loki can rape the sodding tactics! Look, Bjarte, I know you compensate for getting fixated on one thing by doing very well at the one thing. I don't doubt that nobody could have done a better job of fighting the missionaries and looking for the Enemy. But you've taken your eyes off the damned ball! England! England is the Schwerpunkt! What does it matter whether half a million peasants sacrifice to Odin or to the White Christ, if eight million slip from our rule?"

"And what do you suggest I should have done, you who weren't here? Do you think I can walk into the Ting-hall at York - dressed up as Odin, no doubt, that would go over well in Christian England - and demand to be given command of their army?" He moderated his tone; after all Ingrid really hadn't been here, and didn't know the constraints. "You have to understand: Those people in England aren't real Ynglings. They're kind of like the English in our history - merchants, farmers, not warriors. They don't bother us much, and we don't bother with them, and both sides are the happier. We've got Scandinavia pretty well under Yngling control - real Ynglings, I mean, you and me. England, who cares?"

"Who cares about control of England and its coal? Its iron? Its harbours that dominate the North Sea and the Atlantic? Its position astride half the trade routes of the world? I care! And there is more, if you told me true. That is Yngling land. Not some ephemeral imperial possession, to be traded away at a negotiating table; our land, where men of the Yngling blood hold farms and homes! Let it be as you say; suppose the English branch have got weak and soft. Do you think they'll stand for this? Now's our chance! Sound the trumpets, light the beacons, send the burning cross to the deepest valleys, rouse the clans! Their blood sleeps, you say; very well, we shall call it to action. Are we not a proud warrior race? They have been defeated, forced to flee their homes and go into exile in distant lands. We shall offer them aid from under Dovre, where the ancient kings sleep; a hand shall reach out from the old country to the new, and absolve them of their shame. We'll raise a new army from the ashes of defeat; we'll sweep like a cleansing flame across the land. We'll give them a rallying point and a battle cry: England shall be free! Men will flock to our standard. And the gates of Hell shall not prevail against us!"

Bjarte watched, open-mouthed. A hundred practical considerations raced through his mind: The logistics of supporting an English army from the colonies; the dozen factions of the Ting; the problem of lining up Viktorsson and Torsteinsson on the same side; the balance of power; the alliance system... but it would not matter. Ingrid had risen to her feet, pacing back and forth in excitement, and exaltation blazed from her eyes. She would not listen; she looked ready to fight a duel with anyone who objected. And besides that... it might work. Even through the utter weariness of age Bjarte could feel the pull of her, the magnetic power of the young woman consumed by an idea. Young men - yes, they would indeed flock to her standard. And if the impersonal forces of history proved too strong... they would count it an honour to lay their deaths at her feet. He shuddered. His great-grandsons were just of the age to be consumed with that flame. They would leap to fight in her crusade, to draw the sword for their living banner. Ingrid had been trained in uptime propaganda techniques. She would take that enthusiasm and forge it into the sort of discipline that shattered armies. Armies and men. The grapeshot would care nothing for the burning romance of it all. Win or lose, she would leave a trail of corpses across the English countryside.

And yet... so be it. He bowed his head, closing his eyes. There was no strength in him to fight his own. He'd spent it all on the Enemy. Not wisely, perhaps, but it was done. Let younger hands take the rudder. "It will be as you say, Ingrid." He raised his eyes once more to meet hers. "To you, from failing hands, I throw the torch."

She smiled, triumphant, and a flicker of the old fire burned in him. "I will keep faith." She straightened her shoulders, as a woman might who takes on a lifetime's burden, and walked out of the room, closing the door behind her. Faintly Bjarte could hear her calling for a horse, food, men to ride with her to Bergen. She would let no moss grow under her feet. Without her the room was darker. He drew his cloak tighter around his shoulders, feeling the cold seep into his bones. The torch had passed; it could not be long, now.

"We'll raise a new army from the ashes of defeat; we'll sweep like a cleansing flame across the land. We'll give them a rallying point and a battle cry: England shall be free! Men will flock to our standard. And the gates of Hell shall not prevail against us!"

Breton enthusiasm for defending Norway against Georgian aggression is dropping like a rock, I must note.

Why would Britanny first cripple Norway and then protect her? :wacko:
Btw, where are the updates on the empire ulmont?

Why would Britanny first cripple Norway and then protect her? :wacko:

Norway is *my* toy.

Btw, where are the updates on the empire ulmont?

I've been slack. Frankly the Empire's updates have been some combination of ludicrously schizophrenic and/or depressing for a while now, making a compelling narrative somewhat difficult to pull off.

Breton enthusiasm for defending Norway against Georgian aggression is dropping like a rock, I must note.

The Revolution will not be silenced!

The Bagratuniad:

The Missionary War:

... However, despite these brilliant moves in all of the spheres of combat, Bjarte clearly lost the Missionary War. To understand why, it is useful to remember this aphorism by the great Sun Tzu: "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."

In the case of the Missionary War, the Angel understood its enemy as if they were the closest of friends. From hobbies to training aptitudes. It knew Bjarte was enough of a Yngling that he would be unable to ignore a direct attack. Conditioned to violence by a society warped by its own self-imposed struggle for survival.

Bjarte understood his enemy not at all, but he thought he did. The enemy attacked because they feared the Ynglings. The enemy, like the Ynglings, were in the past to alter history to its plan. A plan that clearly turned around Georgia, as the Yngling plans turned around Norway.

Thus, while Bjarte brilliantly defended the hard-won pagan interior of Scandinavia against the veritable tidal wave the Angel mobilized against him, he failed to understand - and thus defend - the primary enemy objective - himself. Instead of meditating upon the oddness of the enemies strategy - almost comically ineffective given the extreme advantage in technology, communications and material enjoyed by whatever was backing the missionaries - Bjarte allowed himself to be drawn into a lifetime of unrelenting action. To further compound the error, his actions also reinforced the secondary goal of the Angel - to change the character of the Norwegian people - providing the anvil on which the missionary (later pacifist) movement would temper itself, and creating a deep division between the interior pagan Norsemen, and the coastal and English Christian Norsemen.

There are no reasonable grounds to suspect Bjarte would have been able to divine the reason for the Angel's fear of him - his amateur astronomy hobby - yet, by assuming critical information about the character of his enemy, Bjarte failed to learn critical lessons that might have allowed him to negate the Angel's plans. Thus, as Sun Tzu might have said, for every victory Bjarte gained, the Angel inflicted him with defeat. And as in modern war, the side with the better communications and knowledge was able to allocate those victories and defeats to be pleasing to them.

Thus, when fighting aliens with unknown or unknowable motivations, the student should remember to emulate Bjarte in seeking to acquire information of the enemy, but learn from Bjarte's mistakes and empty their mind of all assumptions.

- excerpt from One Hundred Educational Battles For Interstellar Warrior by Grand Admiral To'an Kim (retd.)

fasquardon