• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Storm has broken, indeed.

French civil war?

The Republicans blocked the Marshall Plan, didn't they?

What a splendid AAR so far. I'm most intrigued. Thanks to El Pip for advertising for you in the FotW thread!

Vann

This is certainly an unique AAR. :) Keep it up!

"I believe that Hitler did not expect war over Poland. Why should Frenchmen - or Englishmen - die for Warsaw, for Danzig? In the end, only Allied pilots did for the period until May 1940 - but the declaration would in fact prove to be the Allies' folly."

Given that neither Frenchmen nor Englishmen died for Warsaw, it makes the whole "let's guarantee Poland's independence" thing one of the great "thanks for nothing" moments of history.

The Republicans blocked the Marshall Plan, didn't they?

Actually, the Republicans were on board for Truman's diplomatic efforts. It was on domestic issues, like the Taft-Hartley Act, that the Republicans played the role of Dr. No. At least, that is how it was historically.

Whoa, start a little war and everyone jumps aboard!

First, yes, thanks to Pippy for the ad in FotW.

And now...

Le Jones, Kurt_Steiner - I don't believe it's broken just yet. It's close though...the clouds have gathered, now we just wait for the lightning.

Faeelin - Yes, French Civil War. But I'll leave it at that...and no, it actually wasn't caused by Congress. There's more sinister reasoning for many of the things going on in this world...

Vann, Kang Seung - Welcome aboard!

Nathan - Thanks. As above, it wasn't Republican narkiness at all...although the rest, I'll leave to you to uncover.

Update coming!

EDIT: Also, happy birthday to Le Jones!

Last edited:
logo.jpg

Illumination

March 10, 1970, National War College, Washington D.C., United States

Madison returned to his office. He was pleased with the two-part lecture structure - the only way he felt one could review Germany's starting of the war was through a context of Hitler's rising and movements. He returned to his office and began planning for his next military lecture, on the Fall of France.

A knock was at the door. "Enter," Madison said, head buried in notes about the German assault.

A Navy lieutenant walked in. "Sir, I really enjoyed your lecture about the invasion of Germany today."
"Thank you. Did you have a question or two?"
"Yes. Firstly, why did the Allies end up going to war for Poland? The reality is, if they'd recognised the claims, Hitler would have probably left the state intact, perhaps even used it to fell the Soviets and stop that problem."
"Reflect on Hitler's pre-war rhetoric. Remember Hitler's views. Poland, in his mind, did not deserve to exist. If one thing surpassed his hatred of communism, it was his hatred of the Polish state. If the Allies caved, Germany would have crushed Poland anyway."
"All right. And secondly, surely the US showed a complete apathy towards the situation in Europe, with a re-belligerent Germany?"
"I don't think apathy is the correct term. The US cared - particularly Roosevelt, who felt the pain from Wilsonian internationalism finally collapsing in the face of arms - but also the isolationists, who cared that the war was such a threat to American lives that they wanted to keep them out of it at all costs. Reconstructing the US economy was believed to be far more important."

"Sure. Finally, a quick thing from a friend - beware of the full moon. Goodbye, Herr Madison."
The lieutenant got up and left. Madison quickly got up to try and follow him, but the crowds from the completion of the next round of lectures clogged the halls, preventing Madison from finding him.

The full moon?

Last edited:
You know people should stop being so cryptic to Madison, it's really confusing the hell out of everyone involved.

Unless confusing and misdirecting him was the intention all along, in which case it worked perfectly. :)

You know people should stop being so cryptic to Madison, it's really confusing the hell out of everyone involved.

Not to mention Madison himself...

"Herr Madison"?

El Pip, Kurt - I don't know that Madison's being cryptic...when encountered with things like this, as one man with 30 years of history to chase through...a lot happens in 30 years, y'know?

Vann - arooooooooooooooooooooo!

logo.jpg

Reflections

December 23, 1970, Norfolk, Virginia

Christmas was only a couple of days away. Madison hurried down the street, desperate to try and find one or two more gifts for family. He hated winter. He'd loved it as a child, being able to go ice-skating and love the snowfights.

November 30, 1944, Antwerp, Belgium

War should be over by now. We've split Germany in two, and the Reds are consuming everything to the east. Yet we're stuck here. Last of the freaking Nazis refuse to surrender, despite having barely a remnant of their country.

The division itself is in the dumps. The assault on kraut positions in Eindhoven failed to break through, again. They reckon the 121st got completely wiped out, tanks literally rolling over them. We throw everything we've got - heavy artillery, tanks, B-25s - but the bastards just won't collapse.

It's fucking cold.

Greg.

Reminds me of a memoir of a German soldier who'd marched east into Poland in '39 and eventually west through Poland years later. For the first half of the book, every winter would contain some variation of the line, "this must be the coldest place in the world".

Vann

Reminds me of a memoir of a German soldier who'd marched east into Poland in '39 and eventually west through Poland years later. For the first half of the book, every winter would contain some variation of the line, "this must be the coldest place in the world".

Vann

After a while, I would stop calling every winter "the coldest place in the world". I would just assume that every winter would be cold.

"Yes. Firstly, why did the Allies end up going to war for Poland? The reality is, if they'd recognised the claims, Hitler would have probably left the state intact, perhaps even used it to fell the Soviets and stop that problem."
"Reflect on Hitler's pre-war rhetoric. Remember Hitler's views. Poland, in his mind, did not deserve to exist. If one thing surpassed his hatred of communism, it was his hatred of the Polish state. If the Allies caved, Germany would have crushed Poland anyway."
"All right. And secondly, surely the US showed a complete apathy towards the situation in Europe, with a re-belligerent Germany?"

My God, the United States is led by Pat Buchanan!

Vann - Unfortunately, the saying "War, war never changes" is extremely true in some respects.

Nathan - Depends on where you are. Coldest we get in Melbourne is about 10 degrees Celsius, so it's certainly not the coldest at all.

Faeelin - Actually, now that I look at it, it is theoretically possible - although as you guys already know, a Kennedy is in the White House, at least for a little while.
That'd be interesting, actually - a young, pro-reform conservative running against the likes of an Obama or a Kennedy. But I digress...

logo.jpg

War? What war?

January 31, 1971, Library of Congress, Washington D.C., United States

Another year's worth of cabinet documents. Madison firstly had brought along with him a map of the radical changes in Europe, considering four states had been consumed in the last 4 months of 1939.

39-40borderseurope.jpg

The European situation, January 1940. Former countries' borders are highlighted.

The Sino-Japanese War, however, continued to be stalemated. Both sides mounted attacks, but the Japanese did not have the numbers to stage a breakthrough, while the Kuomintang did not have the equipment to counter the more advanced Japanese training.

chinajan40.jpg

China, January 1940

Included in these papers was a technical report on the US - troop qualities, small arms developments, as well as advances in naval and air technologies.

techjan40.jpg

Finally, there were intelligence reports with a folio of attachments regarding them.

gerinteljan.jpg

japintel-1.jpg

sovintel-1.jpg

Notes on the main threats to the United States
- Germany now at war with the West. Crushed Poland in a matter of weeks - one of the larger armies in Europe. Will Allies be able to hold against such a manoeuver?
- German-Japanese co-operation at an alltime high. Using in-betweens in neutral nations eg. Switzerland, Sweden, Portugal, Turkey to discuss issues.
- Reports of approx. 10,000 German troops in China? Not fighting Chinese partisans....building something and training locals in certain aspects of war...Chinese sources unable to get too close, defended ferociously by Japanese.
- Red Army continues to build up. Will be a threat in the near future.

Madison noted down the last. German forces...in China...early in the war. They would have had to to have been there effectively at the start of the war....but why? What did the Nazis want with China??

Last edited:
The plot thickens - what huge revelation is next?

Also, love the regularity of updates - these documents are being unearthed very swiftly!

Whatever this German facility in China is it can't be good. While I look forward to finding out there is a tinge of dread as I wonder what on earth it could be, aside from not good obviously. ;)