• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like converting things as Castile/Spain - mention them twice!

I tend to see stuff like that as part of the narrative but maybe that's because I write that way. The new summary style is good though.

Just read this through, and I have to say I like your style :)

I'll be following this!

Oh, and about the format issue, do as you see best, I'm fine with both! But do not get rid of them.

I don't particularly mind, although I quite like the origianl form.

Either works for me, but I lean towards the new one.

What is this jewel doing out of the first page?!

How can you estimate how much money a COT is going to loose if you embargo it?

I imagine how many of your provinces trade through it and the sum of the value of their trade goods. And yes, this should always be on the first page!

Northern Falcon: Schizophrenia is nothing new to the Papacy. :)

The_Archduke: Thank you! Unfortunately for you, a tracking device has been securely bolted to your head. :)

Jaspume: That's what I was hoping.

PrawnStar: St. PrawnStar - Patrion Saint of Castillian Missionaries.

Velko: Thank you! I try to stay light hearted.

Lord Strange: Sad to say, I can't do both. :)

Kanil: Thanks!

ColossusCrusher: Use crutches to help with that leaning issue.

Azugal: You're going to make me sob pathetically. It's worse than the time I was decapitated on my birthday.

slokiller: Thank you!

Lysander13: Well...you see...

aldriq: I need to start watching other people's AARs, in case he hides out in them.

elbasto: My fault due to lack of updating, methinks. As to your question...

rapidem: You are correct. If most of the provinces are yours, it's simpler to just calculate the new value by adding up the remaining provinces. :)

An apology: I haven't had time to play the last few days, as work's been nuts and we just got a Wii for the kids. As a software tester, I've been forced to do some quality assurance work on Madden '09 - just to make sure that all the controls work and to test out the AI, of course. :rofl:

I hope to start updating again next week.

St. PrawnStar - Patron Saint of Castillian Missionaries
I'm finding it absolutely impossible to not make a comment involving the word 'position'.

I'll take that position!​
:rofl:

Assaulting primer

While I'm busy being sick to my stomach, I figured I'd bash out a little primer on assaulting and attrition, to explain how my infantry stacks chew up provinces so fast.

Step 1: Get a doomstack.
12-15K infantry will do fine until level 3 forts show up. Once artillery is available, get 4-6K. Speed is not that important in Europe for an assaulting doomstack because you will need to:

Step 2: Manage attrition.
Assaults are fast. Recovering from assaults - not so fast. For an assaulting doomstack, you want a general with good Maneuver and Siege. Defensive sliders make assaults better.

First, let's explain how attrition, reinforcement, and morale increase actually work. Your army takes attrition for two different things:
* An immediate attrition check for entering a province, unless they enter and start a battle.
* Attrition is checked based on where your army is on the 1st of the month.

Reinforcement is also checked based on where your army is on the 1st of the month. You will then get back 1/3rd of your morale.

For an assaulting infantry stack, you want to time arrivals into a province for the 2nd - 10th of the month, so that you get the last month's reinforcement and lower attrition hit (since you're in an owned, friendly, or occupied province), and so that you have time to assault and be done by the 1st of the month.

Step 3: Manage morale.
Assaulting goes directly against morale - both your morale and the enemy's morale. Morale bonuses help here - Military Drill really helps with assaulting in the early game - both on offense and defending against assaults. Defensiveness also plays a part, so winning big battles to lower your opponent's prestige will help your assaults.

A 12-15K doomstack can generally win an assault against a Level 1 fort with 1/3rd morale. With 2/3rds morale, they will almost certainly win against a Level 1 fort, and have about an even chance on a Level 2 fort. For level 3+ forts, you will need to get more men and artillery - shoot for a 7-10:1 ratio.

On the subject of morale, remember that the 10:1 rule occurs before morale is taken into affect - if you have 0 morale, you will still annihiliate a 1K army if you have 10+K men. However, anything larger than that *will* beat you, so make sure that no enemy armies are around before you start assaulting. That's what your cavalry is for.

Put it together:
In this game, I have a 15K inf/4K art stack with my best maneuver/siege general, and a smaller 14K inf stack that I put my second best general on (I keep forgetting to get them artillery). I average taking down 1.5 provinces/month, since I assault, win, and can move to the next one to arrive early next month when I get my reinforcement and morale.

Artillery is not a serious problem in Western Europe, since the provinces are so small, and even Eastern Europe isn't unmanagable. Once you start getting into Asia and Africa, artillery is painfully slow, and you should consider ditching it.

Chapter 44: Smackdown against Spain

Weeeeeeeeeeee're back! Illness, surgery, crying babies, and last minute basketball tickets can only slow Spain down from their holy mission, not stop them.

We'll kick off with some planning - we need to prepare to take down France. This isn't so simple: their tech advantage may make this harder than previous wars. I have Land 16, they have 20, so my cavalry is in for rough days ahead.

February 1, 1556: Land 17. I'm still moving troops around at this point, and preparing a scorch-ring and instant blockade around France.

March 8: The Mamluks lose again, ceding Sharizhor to OE (their former allies).

March 25: OE warns us. This could be really really problematic - I do not have the armies necessary to take down both France and OE, nor the money to raise that large an army. The key, then, is make sure OE doesn't lead the war - no province in the area other than Alexandria will give significant war score, so OE can make huge gains and I can still peace out with the warleader and screw them.
C44_476_OE-Warning.jpg

May 27: The troops are in place...and before I can declare war, we get enough rebels to justify holding off a bit. Here's the situation in France - they have 3 doomstacks (Armor, Vendee, Ile de France (not shown, but inferred):
C44_477_French-scorch-ring.jpg

And here is the situation around the OE - I have 1 rebel control stack trying to clear out rebels in Egypt and Georgia.
C44_478_OE-situation.jpg

June 17: Baden warns us that if we declare war on anyone...they'll join our empire! (that's obviously what they mean, right?)

August 1: My 12K cav stack gets crushed by rebels in Hamburg. I need Latin Caracolle cavalry badly.
C44_479_Cav-squashed.jpg

October 6: Slider move...finally! We go more centralized (to 1 step centralized), and get a large revolt in Hamburg (giving them about 19K rebels there) and Cuzco (3 rebels, easily crushed). We get ourselves another general to help put down rebels - 2 fire, 3 shock, 1 maneuver, 2 siege. I get OK generals with 50-60 tradition.

December 27: I get my first Colonial Company goes Bankrupt event - lose 200 people in a random colony, or lose 50 ducats. As a rule of thumb, unless you expand more than 80 population/year in the colony or have 2 colonists you don't mind sending to replace them, lose the 50 ducats. I chose the 50 ducats. It happens again 6 months later...grrr...

April 20, 1557: I was ALMOST ready to declare war on Ahmednagar to kick off the war with France, OE, and Baden...and they declare war on me! Bastards! I guess I'll have to run around assaulting and beating them up. I would DoW someone else to start the war, but war in the Middle East will bring in more people I don't want, and war in Europe will give me more enemies there than I want. So, we put that off.
C44_480_Ahmednagar-DoW.jpg

June 1: Provence declares independence from France. They have no army, but are at war with France, who has no army in Auvergne (the only province they have left in the area). This should be...exciting.

August 27: A short and bloody war should end with Ahmednagar ceding Raichur Doab. If you wonder why I'm settling for small amounts - I have 18K troops in the area and no way to build my high-tech troops in the area yet due to a lack of cores. I essentially run around assaulting enough so I can demand something quickly - whittling their power down. Once they're weak, I'll dismember them...

...but the peace offer fails! Ahmednagar managed to assault something back on the day after I sent the offer, lowering the war score. Bastards!

September 29: I assault something else, and take Raichur Doab for real. This gives me a land border with Mysore.
C44_481_Raichur-Doab.jpg

October 1: Government 16. I can now build Universities, because Italy didn't have enough.

November 14: The rebels are pacified, the armies are in place...we're ready to RUMBLE!!!! War with Mysore, bringing in Bihar, Orissa, Oudh, Rajputana, OE, France, and Baden. Orissa leads (muhahahahahaha!).
C44_482_DoW-Mysore.jpg

December 1: Since someone called a crusade on OE (no one's close enough for me to Crusade), I get the Crusade bonuses: +10% tax, +.1 morale, +50% manpower, +1 prestige. The manpower bonus is amusing given my natural cap of 161K.

December 10: First mistake of the war: my scorching army doesn't get out of Valenciennes fast enough, but does get the scorch off.

January 5, 1558: France has taken Valenciennes, and Champagne falls to assault. Both provinces were scorched - they're taking big losses.

February 28: Smackdown in Blois. I caught one doomstack in Limousin, and forced it to flee to Blois. I sent a second cav doomstack in to help go for the kill in Blois - and the last French doomstack showed up. 2 French doomstacks against 2 Spanish cavalry doomstacks - but I had the better general, killed their king, and was fighting on defense. Both sides have to retreat and lick their wounds, but I'll be ready first. I think Spain is now the #1 cause of death for French kings.
C44_483_Battle-of-Blois.jpg

March 22: The Parisian Doomstack dies in Vermandois, a victim of scorching and too many assaults.

May 23: Another doomstack dies in Caux - the war is now pretty much over except for the assaults. In India, Mysore's provinces are falling to assault as they are running out of armies. In the Middle East, my rebel control stack got trapped and annihilated, and the OE is assaulting their way to Judea.

June 12: Ibrim falls to rebels - my first province to fall to rebels in decades.

September 1: Land 18. We can get Tercio, Maurician, and Free Shooter infantry as soon as the war is over.

September 14: Baden is annexed, after falling to the Vassal Swarm.

October 10: Austria declares war, bringing in Poland, Lithuania, and Prussia. Oh @#%@#$^%! Austria, Poland, and Lithuania have cav-heavy armies and aren't strung out like my current batch of enemies. This could seriously suck. Austria immediately sends 2 cav-heavy doomstacks to siege Krain and Verona before I can build something and scorch them.
C44_484_Austria-DoW.jpg

December 27: Colonial company founded - and I actually got a colony in Monacan! We celebrate by taking Normandie, Anjou, Blois, and Maine from France, splitting them in 4 and relieving them of 3 manufactories (1 Weapons in Normandie, IIRC, and 2 Textile Manufactories). This will help France by making new Manufactories cheaper for them. Yeah.
C44_485_France-split-up.jpg

I love the new map of France.
C44_486_Map-of-France.jpg

I forgot to take a screenshot here, but OE has assaulted their way down to Gaza, and taken Imereti in Georgia. They are seriously going to be pissed when I force Orissa to peace out.

January 19, 1559: Venice declares war, bringing in Hesse. I still can't take Venice, because their CoT still gets too much trade from provinces that aren't mine.

March 24: I get 95% war score on Mysore, so I decide to try something new here: peace out against Mysore and Orissa simultaneously, to get more of Mysore. I ask for 3 of Mysore's provinces from Mysore, and 2 from Orissa - and get them both! Woot! OE screams in agony as they lose 7 occupied provinces. Muhahahah!
C44_487_Mysore-cedes-3.jpg

C44_488_Orissa-cedes-2.jpg

In other news:
Karankawa, Al Karak, Lisboa, Hawran, Lothringen, and Mantua convert.

Puno, Arequipa, Nazca, Huamanca, Cuzco, Tumbes, Huanuco, Lima, Huancavelica, Tarma, Chanchan, Cajamarca (i.e. Inca), Reykjavik, Leinster, Munster, Connaught, Tortuga, and Les Cayes core.

Wasuju's culture assimilates.

Nicaragua, Lincoln, Dominica, and Swampy Cree get fort upgrades to level 2 from the Fortification Upgrade event. If anyone ever invades Swampy Cree, Nicaragua, and Dominica, I'm sure that'll help. :)

Reformed minorities flocked to Transkei and Oeiras.

Alpercatas became self-sufficient.

The Reformation spread to Bourgogne.

World map will come after the next update.

Last edited: