• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Swamp Rat

Apprentice Antiquarian
34 Badges
Jun 15, 2006
  • Age of Wonders III
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • 200k Club
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
I noticed that there is a Lucky Nations setting in the Options menu. What does it do, and are there any recommendations as to which setting would be best?

It provides some set nations with bonuses to various attributes, lucky nations will get +1 shock on their king/generals for instance.

Historic will get you set lucky nations (france, austria, sweden, ottomans and three more)
Random will give the lucky tag to 7 random nations.
No lucky nations means just that.

"Lucky" nations get a lot of small bonuses (compete chance, spy efficiency, better monarchs, better colonization chance, better generals and many more).
If you set this option to "historical" (i think this the default setting) 7 nations from the list will have it: France, England/GB, Castille/Spain, Austria, Muscovy/Russia, Ottoman Empire, Sweden, France, Netherlands, Prussia, the last 2 don't exist in early scenarios so the first 7 will get it.
If you set it at random - 7 random nations will be chosen (usually from your tech group afaik).
What it does ? A "lucky" nation will perform a little better than non-lucky one. It makes the game a little more challenging. If you are an eperienced/good player take it, if you like more "historical" outcomes take "historical" option.
The only problem is France blobbing even faster as "lucky" nation.

It`s 8 nations, not 7.

Common\static_modifiers.txt:

Code:
luck = {
	merchant_compete_chance = 0.1
	colonist_placement_chance = 0.1
	missionary_placement_chance = 0.03
	leader_fire = 1
	leader_shock = 1
	land_tech_cost_modifier = -0.02
	trade_tech_cost_modifier = -0.02
	naval_tech_cost_modifier = -0.02
	government_tech_cost_modifier = -0.02
	production_tech_cost_modifier = -0.02
	spy_efficiency = 0.05
	stability_cost_modifier = -0.50
}

I think setting it to Random makes the game most interesting. I'm bored of seeing the same countries getting strong all the time.
But some are very powerful be they lucky or not. France and Golden Horde for example.

I'm not sure just how random "random" is. I started as Vijayanagar and saved on day one then checked the save file (rinse and repeat a few times) and France got lucky about 4/7 times, Poland twice, Timurids and Mamluks about 3 times each. Obviously I didn't do it enough to be statistically significant but still considering the number of nations in the game you wouldn't expect to see the same nation get the tag that often if it was truly random

I'm not sure just how random "random" is. I started as Vijayanagar and saved on day one then checked the save file (rinse and repeat a few times) and France got lucky about 4/7 times, Poland twice, Timurids and Mamluks about 3 times each. Obviously I didn't do it enough to be statistically significant but still considering the number of nations in the game you wouldn't expect to see the same nation get the tag that often if it was truly random

i agree i set it to random once and france, GB, portugal, castille and austrira were all lucky. I went through the save file and made it truly lucky

I usually play with it turned off, and the "big" countries tend to do pretty well anyway.

IIRC it's set up so only bigger nations get it. So it not wasted on Creek or somebody like that.

Hm very interesting. Thanks for the answers. From now on I will either play with random or off as it seems that it is causing (contributing to at least) that most AI nations in my games develop rather alike from game to game (that means you Sweden). I guess France and Austria can likely not be effected much by not being lucky nations, but it would be interesting to see what effect being a lucky nation will have on some random medium power.

You shouldn't play it with random, as that seems to cause very little difference from historical. Personally, if there was such a thing as an actual random setting, I would play with that. It would make every game that little bit more unique. As it is I only play with it off.

Well in my latest game Bohemia got it - with the random on - and that bastard grew to enormous size, inheriting Hungary and all.

I'm now in the habit of setting it to random and then entering the save file and taking the "luck=yes" away from nations which I don't want to have it (France, England, Poland, Novgorod etc.) then reassigning it to others on a semi random basis.
I choose some by scrolling through the notepad file and seeing where I end up and others from medium powers or nations who don't normally do that well, like Norway, The Palatinate or Tibet. I normally avoid New World or African nations because they get annexed and then their lucky tag will probably be assigned to France again

I'm now in the habit of setting it to random and then entering the save file and taking the "luck=yes" away from nations which I don't want to have it (France, England, Poland, Novgorod etc.) then reassigning it to others on a semi random basis.
I choose some by scrolling through the notepad file and seeing where I end up and others from medium powers or nations who don't normally do that well, like Norway, The Palatinate or Tibet. I normally avoid New World or African nations because they get annexed and then their lucky tag will probably be assigned to France again

ha i do that too. In my last game i gave it to: Virginia (huge christian virginia), Philipians, Columbia, Bolivia, Ireland, and a few more i cant remember

It`s 8 nations, not 7.

Common\static_modifiers.txt:

Code:
luck = {
	merchant_compete_chance = 0.1
	colonist_placement_chance = 0.1
	missionary_placement_chance = 0.03
	leader_fire = 1
	leader_shock = 1
	land_tech_cost_modifier = -0.02
	trade_tech_cost_modifier = -0.02
	naval_tech_cost_modifier = -0.02
	government_tech_cost_modifier = -0.02
	production_tech_cost_modifier = -0.02
	spy_efficiency = 0.05
	stability_cost_modifier = -0.50
}

That is not all it does. It also affect more than 100 events increasing the chance to fire good events and decreasing the risk of firing bad events. Increasing among other things the chance to inherit. Some good events can only be fired by lucky nations.

Also lucky nations increases the chance of getting better monarchs and it probably gets alot of other hardcoded perks.

The only problem is France blobbing even faster as "lucky" nation.
I use this in triggered_modifiers.txt:
Code:
french_anti_luck = {
	trigger = {
		tag = FRA
		luck = yes
	}
	merchant_compete_chance = -0.1
	colonist_placement_chance = -0.1
	missionary_placement_chance = -0.03
	leader_fire = -1
	leader_shock = -1
	land_tech_cost_modifier = 0.02
	trade_tech_cost_modifier = 0.02
	naval_tech_cost_modifier = 0.02
	government_tech_cost_modifier = 0.02
	production_tech_cost_modifier = 0.02
	spy_efficiency = -0.05
	stability_cost_modifier = 0.50
}

Last edited:
To get rid of French blobbing we need to make Burgundy stronger. In 1453 start Burgundy was a much harder nut to crack than it is in 1399. In almost all my games Burgundy gets eaten by France extremely fast adding a lot to their manpower and making them unstoppable after that.

The only exception is when Burgundy becomes the HRE, manpower and force limit boost from that allows them to stop France from expanding into HRE.

So instead of giving artificial negative modifiers to France, we should figure out how to make Burgundy stronger.

I recently did a statistical study of lucky nations in EU3, but hadn't done it for In Nomine. I decided to update it for IN, and so I gathered the data today. I started 50 games as the Maldives on the earliest start date with random lucky nations in groups of 5 before closing EU3 and restarting it, and jotted down which nations were lucky from the game log.

Here is the data from the game log, in groups of 5 games:

Code:
BYZ HUN POR MAM DLH LIT BRI PRO
FRA CAS BYZ BOH HUN HAB BRI MOR
BYZ BUR HUN POR MLO SWE TUR TEU
HUN CAS HAB DLH MOR MAM TIM ENG
BYZ TUR FRA BOH HAB NOV POL GEN

FRA BOH VEN TEU BYZ MOR SWI PAP
BYZ FRA BUR CAS ENG MAM MOR PAL
BYZ FRA HAB MAM TUR BUR VEN NOV
BYZ TUR ARA FRA TIM MOS BUR DAN
FRA TUR HAB BRI ARA CAS POL BUR

BUR BYZ FRA CAS NAP BRI TUR DLH
FRA BYZ POR BUR MLO TUR VEN MOR
BYZ BUR NAP TIM BRI MAM SWE CAS
BYZ LIT TEU GOL BUR CAS SWE BOH
BYZ FRA BUR CAS ENG MAM MOR PAL

BYZ TIM HUN TEU MLO FRA MAM DLH
BYZ BOH POR HUN HAB DLH SWE MAM
BYZ CAS FRA BOH LIT MOS ENG TEU
BYZ HAB MAM TIM TEU BUR LIT PAL

FRA LIT BAV POR CAS NOV BRI GOL
FRA BYZ BUR CAS TEU MLO BRI HAB
BYZ FRA ARA POR MLO HUN CAS POL
BYZ CAS FRA SWE LIT HAB NAP ENG
GOL MLO DAN BUR TEU TUR BAV AQU

ENG CAS BYZ ARA HAB FRA NAP PRO
BYZ BUR TUR CAS LIT ARA PRO PAL
BYZ FRA BUR BOH MLO DLH BRI MAM
HAB HUN ARA TUR TIM TEU CAS NAP
FRA BYZ SWE LIT BUR MLO NOV ENG

BYZ LIT ARA TUR POR BAV POL BOH
BYZ FRA BUR CAS ARA MLO SWE TUR
FRA ENG SWE MLO POL NOV PAL DLH

FRA ENG MAM NAP HUN BUR LIT BOH
BOH TEU MLO SWE LIT NOV TIM HUN
CAS ENG TEU FRA MAM HAB BYZ LIT
BYZ BRI TIM LIT ARA MOS GOL VEN
CAS LIT FRA GOL TIM NOV TUR MAM

BYZ BOH POR HUN HAB DLH SWE MAM
BYZ TIM HUN TUR BUR POR SWE NAP
FRA BYZ ENG CAS POL TIM HUN BUR
BYZ POR TEU BAV MOR MLO GOL MOS

FRA BUR ENG LIT TEU HAB MAM MOR
FRA BYZ ARA ENG CAS MAM BAV DAN
FRA LIT VEN HAB ENG BOH ARA MOR
FRA TIM BUR MAM BYZ POL HUN MOR
FRA TIM LIT TEU MLO ARA SWE PRO

And here is the compiled table from this data.

Code:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Total Lucky %

BYZ 4 4 5 5 3 4 4 2 5 2  39    78
FRA 2 5 3 2 4 3 3 3 2 5  32    64
BUR 1 4 5 2 2 3 2 1 2 2  24    48
CAS 2 2 4 2 4 3 2 2 1 1  23    46
LIT 1 0 1 3 2 2 2 5 0 3  19    38
MAM 2 2 2 3 0 1 1 3 2 3  19    38
TEU 1 1 1 4 2 1 2 2 2 2  18    36
HUN 4 0 0 2 1 1 1 2 4 1  16    32
HAB 3 2 0 2 2 2 0 1 1 2  15    30
MLO 1 0 1 1 3 2 3 1 2 1  15    30
TIM 1 1 1 2 0 1 1 3 3 2  15    30
BOH 2 1 1 3 0 1 2 2 1 1  14    28
ENG 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 2 1 3  14    28
SWE 1 0 2 2 1 1 3 1 2 1  14    28
TUR 2 3 2 0 1 2 2 1 1 0  14    28
ARA 0 2 0 0 1 3 2 1 0 3  12    24
DLH 2 0 1 2 0 1 2 0 2 0  10    20
MOR 2 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 3  10    20
POR 2 0 1 1 2 0 1 0 3 0  10    20
BRI 2 1 2 0 2 1 0 1 0 0   9    18
GOL 0 0 1 1 2 0 1 2 1 0   8    16
NAP 0 0 2 0 1 2 0 1 1 0   7    14
NOV 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 2 0 0   7    14
POL 1 1 0 0 1 0 2 0 1 1   7    14
BAV 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 0 1 1   5    10
PAL 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0   5    10
VEN 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1   5    10
PRO 1 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1   4     8
MOS 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0   4     8
DAN 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1   3     6
AQU 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0   1     2
GEN 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0   1     2
PAP 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0   1     2
SWI 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0   1     2

As you can see, the random lucky nations are actually fairly random, but weighted toward the larger nations as Johan has said they are. Only Byzantium and France were lucky more than half the time, and a total of 34 nations were lucky during those 50 tests. Two of these countries have their capital in Africa, and three have their capital in Asia.

Some things that surprised me were the absence of Brandenburg and Ming, but also the frequency of Byzantium being lucky. But overall the random lucky nations are fairly random, and there is nothing wrong with the system as far as I can tell.

So instead of giving artificial negative modifiers to France, we should figure out how to make Burgundy stronger.
Part of the purpose of the 'historical' luck modifier is to encourage historical results; France doesn't need luck to perform as well as or better than historical so eliminating its luck is surely no more 'artificial' than the luck mechanism itself. Also if you have any interest in historical results you probably don't want to see Burgundy made stronger (Castille/Spain maybe).