• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(15247)

immortal technique
Mar 3, 2003
did a 2 players war between this nations in 1419 twice; each of us were both doulphine and respectivelly england:

in both cases england won hands down, regardless of the strategy daulphine adopted, even went bankrupt and used all possible mercenraries/manpower available to gain, to no avail.

the main problem noticed is that the french leaders kick at LEAST 2 years later then when they could posiblly make a diffrence. this is due mostlly to vastlly superior english economy to that of doulphine. by 1425, a human can easilly siege/kill all troops doulphine can gain regardless if the french are playing defensive(conserving troops and wait for leaders) or offensive( take loans and attempt to overun henry first, wich worked just a bit better by actually killing him on the field, but ended with 50 inflation due to 2 bankruptcies since in no way france can overcome the english economic output in THIS period).

the way i see it this could be fixed if doulphine gets one "major" at least in jan 1423, and even that does not gurantee at all french sucess in any way NOT TO LOSE(nevermind winning), but at least it has a better chance. or maybe even only give a 10 manpower EXTRA for france at start.

again, the above comments are valid if both doulphine nd england are human and england takes the war path via "i want the crown of france" event.( not dowing before or after).

Interesting perspective, and not one I can really empathise with as I haven't played EU2 MP in some years now (firewall/router issues).

If you would be so kind, do you think you could provide some sort of short AAR of what exactly goes on? I don't mean narrative per se, simply a run-through of how, why & where you feel ENG to be overpowered, or DAU underpowered.

In essence, tell us what you feel to be broken, so we may try & fix it. :)

Burgundy (AI) fought alonside England in both cases.

Dauphine was played by two strategies - one defensive and one offensive.

The first (played by me) aimed at holding a defensive position on the Massif Central awaiting de Richemont. But this ended up in utter failure one year before he spawned because English and Burgundian forces could siege the remaining provinces and the position on the mountains could never be held anyway. Auvergne and Cevennes have no manpower, so Dauphine's army there could not be reinforced and when it was finally forced to retreat to the plains, it got slaughtered.

The second (Beregic) was initially more successful. Dauphine took the maximum possible amount of loans and recruited a 30k cavalry force. Henry V's army was annihilated in the plains of Burgundy in a battle that lasted 2 days (not even possible to retreat in mp) and Burgundy was put of the war. But the English economical situation enabled them to muster a new force from scratch to counter Dauphine's army. Ultimately, Dauphine could not pay his loans and suffered two bankruptcies in succession.

Last edited:
as doulphine:
initially, i did not take too many loans but just enough as to be able to build cavalery as much as manpower allows me, but when english thrown extra armies my way i did not have any manpower left(each month built 1k or 2 k's every other months) and thus taking all possible loans and recruiting mercenaries was the only alternative left into attempting to steam the english or at least slow them down.
burgundy was peaced at this stage and took 2 provinces but still impossible to even remotelly match the number of troops england could get.

maybe when those doulphine events trigger that give some extra infantry and 25 cash, there could be a +5 or+10 manpower added as well; that might have helped a lot into using the loans to recruit cavalery and not mercenaries, thus bankruptcy still likelly to happen but at least the english would be pushed back and everyone would settle for a peace out of necesity for both sides(since no matter how bad french economy would get, english would not be able to send a third wave of fresh armies meeting no resistance)

also, even with henry dead, england has "beaudford"(spelling) with a 4 offensive stat(= french troops looses extra men upon retreating still), while the french are stuck with the ineffective scottish leader 223 stats until 1425.

or as in Therion's attempt, there could be extra manpower given to this 2 mountain provinces( to be decreased later) and increase their base tax a bit as to be able to hold a larger french army without suffering attrition themselves. as english, attacking this 2 mountain provinces i had quiet some losses due to attrition, but becouse superior numbers and henry i eventually overcome their defensive position since each try the french would loose some troops to attrition as well( or due to henry).

Last edited:
i would simplly suggest increasing manpower(via events) because as such the ai versus ai version might not be much affected?(or ai knows and does use manpower available effective; i mean as beeing aware that there is extra mapower available?)

I do not know what a leader for DAU from 1423 will do, but here are some

Gilbert de Lafayette...........good moral, poor strategist
1423 - 1427

Jean VIII d' Harcourt.............took somme valley through amiens to the sea for DAU
1423-1424

Étienne de Vignolles, .........1423-1430

beregic said:
maybe when those doulphine events trigger that give some extra infantry and 25 cash, there could be a +5 or+10 manpower added as well; that might have helped a lot into using the loans to recruit cavalery and not mercenaries, thus bankruptcy still likelly to happen but at least the english would be pushed back and everyone would settle for a peace out of necesity for both sides(since no matter how bad french economy would get, english would not be able to send a third wave of fresh armies meeting no resistance)
Indeed, it could be a first step or simply a bonus at start in 1419.

beregic said:
also, even with henry dead, england has "beaudford"(spelling) with a 4 offensive stat(= french troops looses extra men upon retreating still), while the french are stuck with the ineffective scottish leader 223 stats until 1425.
Maybe with one of the proposed ones in Toio's post but not very satisfying.

beregic said:
or as in Therion's attempt, there could be extra manpower given to this 2 mountain provinces( to be decreased later) and increase their base tax a bit as to be able to hold a larger french army without suffering attrition themselves. as english, attacking this 2 mountain provinces i had quiet some losses due to attrition, but becouse superior numbers and henry i eventually overcome their defensive position since each try the french would loose some troops to attrition as well( or due to henry).
Both provinces are not under direct control of the Dauphin. This is the result of the removal of the "unwanted" French minors. IMHO, not a good idea to change values there.

YodaMaster said:
Indeed, it could be a first step or simply a bonus at start in 1419.

Maybe with one of the proposed ones in Toio's post but not very satisfying.

Both provinces are not under direct control of the Dauphin. This is the result of the removal of the "unwanted" French minors. IMHO, not a good idea to change values there.

do we introduce any leaders from post # 7 ??