• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chief Ragusa said:
Doubt the French think the same!

They had better! They're my vassal. :rofl:

Hiatus notice

While I'll definitely still respond to questions or comments, it may be a few days for more updates for a couple of reasons:
1.) I actually have to play. :)
2.) My other half and I are both sick.
3.) The 5 week old is under the impression that all my spare time is to be spent cuddling him. This makes it somewhat hard to crush my enemies. Apparently (and I'm fuzzy on this), there have been no great European conquerors who rampaged around holding a baby in one arm the whole way.

naggy said:
Apparently (and I'm fuzzy on this), there have been no great European conquerors who rampaged around holding a baby in one arm the whole way.
No -European- conquerors, but there's a little-known fact about Genghis Khan...

Finally caught up with this relentless Provençal ascendancy... Holy Roman Emperor by page 2, virtually king of France by page 5, not bad for an arriviste duke :D

Good stuff, I particularly liked the way you handled the alliance with France at the beginning, the French kings must still have nightmares about it :cool:

aldriq said:
Finally caught up with this relentless Provençal ascendancy... Holy Roman Emperor by page 2, virtually king of France by page 5, not bad for an arriviste duke :D

It helps to be sneaky, ruthless, and fast.

Good stuff, I particularly liked the way you handled the alliance with France at the beginning, the French kings must still have nightmares about it :cool:

As my vassals, the Dukes of France are glad that they could have aided the rise of the Provencal Empire. If they're not, 50,000 Imperial Cavalry are standing by... :)

Or just send in the spies to see if you can get Rebels to take the country over. declare independence, and then DoW them in rightful indignation for the now extinct line of French Ki.. I mean Dukes. :D

Chapter 27: Consolidation

The war with Poland dragged on, but the outcome was not in doubt. On January 2nd, 1483, Poland ceded the trading center of Lubeck to Provence, freed Magdeburg, and paid 50 ducats to the Emperor.
P231_PolandcedesLubeck.png

On February 1st, Rene II died peacefully in his sleep, and Louis III ascended to be Emperor. Louis was not the warmonger that Rene was - he wanted to consolidate his empire, continue crushing Britain, and protect the Holy Roman Empire. This would make his rule somewhat boring, but the Empire's neighbors apparently like boring.
P241_LouisIII.png

In September, Louis learned of a rich land, known as the Inca Empire. The problem was that he learned of it because Castille declared war on it.
P232_CastilleattacksInca.png

On November 13th, Gascogne threw off the British shackle and joined the Empire.
P233_Gascognedefects.png

In March 1484, Castille annexed the Incas. The Empire continued their program of expanding the navy, while wondering where the hell these "Incas" were. Some of the navy believed that Castille was just making stuff up, trying to sound important against the Empire's conquests.
P234_Incaannexed.png

Mock conversation in a bar:
"We beat Britain, Aragon, Austria, Venice, Milan, and Brabant at the same time. What have you done?"
"Um...er...we beat the Inca!"
"Who the hell are they?"
"Um...they're giants! They're 10 feet tall, they eat gold and shit lightning bolts!"

On February 1, 1485, the Empire's premier diplomat, Miqueu d'Entrecasteax passed away. This would hamper the Empire's ability to make the rest of the world understand why its conquests were a necessary action.
P235_Miqueudies.png

On May 24th, Poland finished beating down Hungary, who made the mistake of assuming that Poland was defenseless. Hungary ceded 4 provinces.
P236_PolandsmacksHungary.png

On April 25th, Louis was informed that he held a controlling vote in the Curia. Unfortunately, he was also informed that it rarely lasts...

On December 22nd, Louis was thrown from his horse while hunting in the Imperial Forest, and broke his neck. His son, imaginatively named Louis, ascended the throne as the fourth of that name.
P237_LouisIV.png

While consolidating and continuing to squeeze the vice on Britain, Rouergue celebrated 50 years of Imperial rule on April 1, 1487, followed by Franken and Sudety on January 1, 1488, and Normandie, Vermandois, and Othe in March.
P238_Rouerguecore.png

P239_FrankenandSudetycore.png

P240_OtheNormandieandVermandoiscore.png

With Imperial rule consolidating, the Imperial finances were becoming more and more secure - and ready for new challenges.

Notes:
* If I peace out now with Britain, I can get 1 or 2 provinces. Staying at war means I keep raking in money, and Britain is crippled financially. Hrmmmmm...hard choice.

Intermission #3

Status as of March 1, 1488:
Map03-01-1488.png

Note that I have 4 CoT's: Lubeck, Vlaandern, Ile de France, and Liguria. Only Vlaandern is a core.

In Africa, that's OE that's taken down Tunisia and Algiers. Portugal gobbled up Tunis. That little brown speck surrounded by Poland is where Brandenburg got pwned, and then Hungary vassalized and annexed Brandenburg. Up north, Sweden is nearly done taking down Norway.

Chief Ragusa said:
Is there an Imperial fleet, yet?

Slowly but surely. I've lost a couple of caravels making the run from Provence to Normandie, where I'm marshalling the fleet - I keep running into the British fleet when it's out. 38 - 1 odds = insta-kill.

Once you build the fleet able to beat England there are no more challenge left imo. Half of Europe tried to stop you and failed miserably. What will you do once you gain naval superiority and humilate GB ? What possible goals are there (other than boring WC) for your Provencal Empire ?

Responses

Enewald said:
if the incans eat gold, isn't their shit including gold? :D
Their giant bodies convert the gold into lightning bolts and awesomeness.

Serus said:
Once you build the fleet able to beat England there are no more challenge left imo. Half of Europe tried to stop you and failed miserably. What will you do once you gain naval superiority and humilate GB ? What possible goals are there (other than boring WC) for your Provencal Empire ?
I want to see where the reformation goes to determine my goals.

aldriq said:
The Ottomans are getting around in this game. The emperor will be called to crusade against them one of these days... Besides only one war at a time is just too boring for him :D
Actually, they might be too far from my capital. Crusade is distance limited.

Rastar said:
In order to form France, do you need to pop a core in the one province that France has left?

Nope - that one isn't required. Getting to peace and getting BB down where I can actually annex France is the problem.

Chapter 28: The Provencal Conquest

February 20, 1488:
Herald: "Sire, it has come to our attention that Castille has declared war on a nation known as Aceh."
Louis IV: "Yeah, right. Like that war where they supposedly annexed the "Inca Empire"".
Herald: "Um...well, that's what they're claiming, anyway. What shall we do about it?"
Louis IV: "Let's warn them that if they go to war again, against someone real or imagined, we'll show them some annexation."
Herald: "Yes sir!"
P242_CastilleattacksAceh.png

Through the last months of 1487, the Imperial Fleet caught a huge break, noticing small exploration fleets going by the Spanish coast. Twice, small fleets were caught and sunk, giving the Imperial fleet a numerical edge over the British fleet for the first time. This would be prove to be a very bad thing for the British, as in April, 16 British Carracks were caught in the Channel by 30 Imperial Caravels and sunk. On May 30th, 4 more British carracks were caught, with 3 sunk and 1 captured. The stage was set for the invasion of the British Isles.
P243_BattleoftheChannel.png
P244_BattleofLandsEnd.png

On June 1, 1488, a great Theologian came to Calais to offer his services. While he was not currently useful, Louis felt that he would be useful in the future, and so he was hired.
P245_BernatTheologian.png

On June 10th, a single Caravel sailed through the Channel, suckering 4 more British carracks out to be crushed by the nearby waiting Imperial Fleet. With the British fleet sunk, the Imperial fleet spread out and blockaded the Isles, while transports brought the Imperial Cavalry across.
P246_Suckeringthefleet.png

P247_2ndBattleoftheChannel.png

The Battle of Gloucestershire started the rout, as Adolphus I's largest army was routed. More armies were crushed in Cornwall on the 5th, and Wessex on the 15th, allowing the armies to spread out and siege southern and central Britain.
P248_BattleofGloucestershire.png
P249_BattleofCornwall.png

P250_BattleofWessex.png

P251_SiegesofSBritain.png

Explanation:
* While holding on to the war this long hasn't given me the defections I'd hoped for, starting an invasion when Britain is already at max WE is a cakewalk.
* Having a theologian gives you bonuses to kick off Protestantism and the Reformation, and I want to take religious a couple of religious decisions. Sitting on a 6 star theologian is worth the wait, given that there are crap advisers available at the moment.
* The Naval AI is very susceptible to suckering - put a small fleet in front of the enemy's large fleet (give the enemy a 5:1 advantage, but remember the 10:1 overrun rule - if they have 20 to your 2, you lose instantly). Your main fleet should be 1 square off where the AI cannot see it (so not next to their coastline). Once you see the enemy fleet coming out of port, send your large fleet in to hammer them. The AI in 3.1 still doesn't seem to flee in time.