• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do I see that Tripoli has reduced Algiers to an OPM?

It will be exciting to see how many of the British provinces that will defect to you. This is a great feature. Is it correct that defecting provinces come BB free? Do they have nationalism?

Who are your advisors now that your great MM died?

Vladislav said:
Do I see that Tripoli has reduced Algiers to an OPM?

Algiers and Tunisia are OPMs. I can't tell whether that's Tripoli or the OE - I should check my game when I get home. I've been a wee bit busy in Europe to notice anything else, except that somewhere around this time, Castille DoW'd Chimu.

rasmus40 said:
It will be exciting to see how many of the British provinces that will defect to you. This is a great feature. Is it correct that defecting provinces come BB free? Do they have nationalism?
You still take 1 BB for defections, so be careful about getting defections from nations in other religious groups (who you would normally get less BB from). They do have nationalism.

Who are your advisors now that your great MM died?
A 5 star Statesman (reputation), a 2 star statesman, and a 3 star Sheriff (tax modifier). I'm hoping for another statesman or perhaps a theologian if I want to go Protestant.

Explanation for British strategy

There are three reasons that I'm not seeking peace with Britain:

1.) Occasionally they are being stubborn and refusing any reasonable offer, at which point I let them eat stability hits until they hit -3. Somewhere during this period they briefly lost a province to rebels due to the 15.1% revolt risk all over.
2.) By keeping their WE and RR high, I'm reducing their income and slowing their tech research. Currently, they are at Naval 8. If they get 9, they can blockade me with impunity, which would be A Bad Thing.
3.) Defections. The key is to stay under 5 WE, or I can't get any defections. This rules out war taxes from here on out.

I swear I have never seen so many defections :eek:

I have held many provinces in my current Ming game (and yeah their WE is above 15 and mine below 5) and I get a One or two every few decades.

I swear I have never seen so many defections

I have held many provinces in my current Ming game (and yeah their WE is above 15 and mine below 5) and I get a One or two every few decades.

Low Prestige and low stability speed it up.

Enewald said:
Augustus is still managing to throw more and more cannonfodder to the continent?
when shall the british navy be sunk?

Yup. The British Navy keeps running around with 34 Carracks, so I want 40 Caravels. Now that I have 3 core ports, I can speed up the naval race.

naggy said:
The British Navy keeps running around with 34 Carracks...

Any chance of leading those carracks on a chase around GB so that you can land some troops? With only around 7 of their provinces occupied, you might have to wait a long time for defections to come your way.

Rastar said:
Any chance of leading those carracks on a chase around GB so that you can land some troops? With only around 7 of their provinces occupied, you might have to wait a long time for defections to come your way.

No, the naval AI is pretty smart. Since Britain controls Ireland, it's hard to sneak by, offload, and run before the navy gets there. So I'll crush their navy, blockade, and invade. I'll use the British strategy on Britain. :)

The British strategy would certainly work. :cool:

As you know, I spent years and years dodging navies in my Malaccan AAR and did not have the option to overwhelm them with firepower, so had lots of time to watch the 3.1 naval AI. A couple thoughts that might be relevant for you...

When I put a couple carracks out to sea, the AI would send out just enough boats to beat them and leave the rest in port.

When I put a couple transports out to sea, the AI would sometimes send out all their offensive ships (carracks and galleys) and just leave their transports behind.

So, the way I eventually landed troops on Makassar and Maja was to use a couple transports as bait and lead all their offensive ships north all the way to Korea. Once their offensive ships were 6+ sea squares away, I would use other transports to land troops.

This strategy may or may not work for you and/or be desirable, but just thought I would throw it out as a possibility.

I tried that twice, and Britain ate my decoy caravels both times. Meanies.

Chapter 24: Bohemian Rhapsody

Conveniently for the Empire, a 12,000 man cavalry army was pacifying the Emperor's Austrian territories when Lithuania attacked Riga. That army moved towards Bohemia, crushing small Bohemian detachments at Lienz on February 1st and Salzburg on the 11th.
P199_BattleofLienz.png
P200_BattleofSalzburg.png

On March 30th, a Bohemian army was trapped in Bohemia province and crushed, and a larger one was routed near the same spot on April 16th, leaving Bohemia defenseless to Imperial sieges.
P201_BattleofBohemia.png
P202_2ndBattleofBohemia.png

On May 16th, Lithuania annexed Riga, leading to one of the oddest moments in history. On June 2nd, an Imperial adviser got confused on some paperwork he was working on, and inadvertently signed a white peace with Lithuania, ending the war with Lithuania and Bohemia. The Imperial armies were baffled at their orders to pull up their sieges and leave.
P203_LithuaniaannexesRiga.png
P204_WPwithLithuania.png

Before the armies could get bored, Poland declared war on Magdeburg on June 13th, bringing Brandenburg, Thuringia, and the Empire to Magdeburg's defense. In retrospect, ending the war with Lithuania allowed Imperial armies to focus on the large and competent Polish armies - a fact that would not help the poor adviser.
P205_PolandattacksMagdeburg.png

Imperial armies raced north to relieve Brandenburg, beating back a Polish expeditionary force with heavy casualties on October 30th.
P206_BattleofBrandenburg.png

The next few months of war turned into a stalemate, as Imperial forces didn't have enough men in theatre to beat back the Polish armies. Hit and run attacks ate at Polish manpower, but the Polish armies were gaining ground.

In January 1480, Rene learned that his first cousin, Louis, was stupidly divulging state secrets to foreigners. While Rene's first impulse was to have Louis executed, his advisers prevailed in suggesting that executing his cousin would anger the nobles, even if it was for cause.
P207_Naiverelative.png

March of 1480 brought better news: Caux celebrated their 50th anniversary of Imperial rule, Vendee defected from the British to the Empire, and a British force was crushed in Apulia on the 29th. That would be the last good news for a while...
P208_Cauxcore.png

P209_Vendeedefects.png

P210_BattleofApulia.png

Notes:
* Accept...decline...same difference!
* Poland's cavalry heavy armies and large stacks are a pain.
* If you haven't noticed, I haven't been at peace long enough to even try to annex anyone. I'm not sure I could anyway with my badboy - it's so hard to keep badboy down when you have to take provinces away from misbehaving countries. *nods sagely*

Chapter 25: The Empire meets its match

As the war with Britain had turned into a waiting game, the Empire was building a fleet to eventually challenge Britain on the high seas. Provence, Vlaandern, and Antwerpen were building Caravels as fast as possible, but caravels built in Provence had to go around Iberia to join the main fleet. In May 1480, the British High Fleet caught a caravel on the way to Picardie and sunk it.
P211_BattleofLusitanianSea.png

Back in Germany, the Polish armies were swarming through Northern Germany, annexing Magdeburg on July 15th, beating an Imperial army in Ruppin on the 20th, and forcing Brandenburg to cede Neumark, Ruppin, and 1350 ducats on August 28th.
P212_Magdeburgannexed.png
P213_BattleofRuppin.png
P214_Brandenburgsurrenders.png

On the same day that Brandenburg was forced to their harsh peace, an Imperial army decisively beat a Polish force at Potsdam, only to lose badly in Brandenburg the next month.
P215_BattleofPotsdam.png
P217_2ndBattleofBrandenburg.png

The bright spot in the war is that Emperor Rene's tactics of grinding down Polish armies was causing the Polish nobles and commoners to be exhausted with war.
P218_WarSummarySeptember1480.png

Elsewhere, Saintonge threw off the British yoke on September 6th, and a massive heretical uprising crossed the Milanese border in October and wreaked havoc throughout northwestern Italy, as Imperial armies were forced to chase the canny heretical general around as he avoided a rout. On November 9th, Calais defected to Provence.
P216_Saintongedefects.png
P219_Italianheretics.png
P220_Calaisdefects.png

The stage was set for the final showdown in Germany, as Imperial reinforcements had arrived.

Chapter 26: Pole vaulting

With adequate reinforcements, the Imperial armies returned to the attack, chasing Polish armies through North Central Germany. On November 27th, a large force under King August II was routed in Mecklenburg, which touched off a run of Imperial victories.
P221_BattleofMecklenburg.png

On February 27th, 1481, a cavalry detachment was crushed in Sudety, followed by a British expeditionary force in Apulia on March 1, and another one in Calabria on March 16th. Imperial armies began pushing Polish forces out of North Central Germany and began sieges in Lubeck, Mecklenburg, Altmark, Rupping, Vorpommern, and Hinterpommern.
P222_BattleofSudety.png
P223_2ndBattleofApulia.png
P224_BattleofCalabria.png

On August 1, Armagnac celebrated their 50th year of Imperial rule, and Imperial armies began chasing a Polish counterattack around, finally routing it in Altmark on October 22nd.
P225_Armagnaccore.png
P226_BattleofAltmark.png

By December, most of the Polish armies were destroyed, and sieges were underway to retake recent Polish territorial gains. Imperial armies didn't let up, crushing a Polish army in Bohemia on February 1st. 1482 under August 1st. Polish resistance remained, but not in any numbers likely to challenge Imperial armies.
P227_WarSummaryDec1481.png
P228_3rdBattleofBohemia.png

Finally, in March, Verona and Treviso celebrated a half century of freedom from the Venetians, causing the Empire to accept Lombards.
P229_VeronaandTrevisoCore.png
P230_AcceptingLombard.png

Enewald said:
Hmm, Poland and Britain have the same king? :p
Poland's is August, Britain's is Augustus. Quite confusing. It makes me wonder if I form France, if I'll skip numbers for Louis...

A very interesting read. Though after this war, I think it will be hard to find anyone in Europe left to offer a meaningful challenge. If all the majors in Europe fighting you at the same time can't do any better than that, then I think your biggest problem will be England's fleet. Once you knock them off, I think you'll be set.

And seeing as the title of the thread was "[IN] Provence - The Rightful Kings of France" I think you have to form France sometime soon. :cool:

Azugal said:
And seeing as the title of the thread was "[IN] Provence - The Rightful Kings of France" I think you have to form France sometime soon. :cool:

Well, first I need to be at peace, annex France, and pop a few more cores (namely Paris).

I love how Provence is an Empire, and France is a Duchy.

naggy said:
Well, first I need to be at peace, annex France, and pop a few more cores (namely Paris).

I love how Provence is an Empire, and France is a Duchy.
Doubt the French think the same!

Peace might take a while; there are plenty of countries that could pick on Provence, however tiresome and like a gnat attacking a giant.