• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's back! :eek: :cool:

Wow, you screwed Austria over pretty well. :D

It's not necromancy if the author does it! ;)

Poland is strong, but her strenght isn't great enough to take on the three surrounding powers. Indeed, I doubt Poland has much of a chance if any of them were to unite to crush you. But, for now, Poland can push her weight against Austria...

aaa, I found this aar!
Excellent writing!

And there was no nation of 'prussia' before 16th century... ;)
Btw, how big claims does Poland have on eastern europe?
And did Hungary take Croatia with the revolution?

Colonel Bran said:
When has this not been the case with poland??

There was no Russia until 1600s, and Holy Roman Empire can`t be regarded as a single country, so from XIth to XVIIth centuries. Also, Poland wasn`t always a helpless victim. There was a time when Poles occupied Kremlin, and installed a Tsar. ;)

Part VII: Changing sides

With a new election underway, the Postepowa Partia had a comfortable lead over both the Konserwatywna Partia and the Tradycyjna Partia, with each getting slightly more as 20% of the votes. Despite recent events and an almost certain victory in the upcoming vote the party was at the verge of breaking. The current leaders of the party were in favor of supporting nationalistic ideas in the Habsburg and Russian empires. Some, however, had questions whether or not that was a good approach. With the annexation of Galicia, Poland itself got a large Ukrainian minority whose rights were not guaranteed in the Polish constitution. Supporting minorities abroad, as they claimed, would eventually lead to them seeking independence.

For the next few days and weeks members of the Postepowa Partia discussed heavily about the possibilities of Hungarian independence. Most members supported their struggle against Habsburg oppression, but some like Ludwik Mieroslwskiv, claimed their time for their liberty had not come yet. Both Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia and Nikolai I of Russia had already pledged their support to the emperor of Austria, but neither Britain nor France had made any sign of supporting Hungarian independence. They, as did Mieroslawski and his supporters, feared that it would severely weaken Austria and that it could lead to Prussia claiming the leadership over Germany. A weak, but united, Austria would serve as a counter-balance to Prussia’s strength.

Ludwik_Mieroslawski_2.jpg

Ludwik Mieroslawski​

By the end of August the leadership of the Postepowa Partia was overthrown by Mieroslav, as they refused to change their position, which could possibly lead to another war with Austria, but potentially dragging Prussia and Russia in it. On the first of September, Poland withdrew its political support to Hungary and instead pledged it full support to Austria, as a sign of goodwill towards the Habsburgs. Poland mobilized four cavalry divisions and two infantry divisions and placed them under the banners of the Habsburg Empire. It was a most welcomed gift, as with the loss of Galicia, no Russian support was forthcoming, and with the Polish troops available, an offensive from the north could be launched.

The Polish Expeditionary Forces, consisting of 60,000 men, quickly were dispatched to Przemysl from where they come under the command of the Austrian general Bachmann. Even before he could march towards Hungary the Polish reduced the amount of troops available by 20,000 men. The recent wave of nationalism in Central Europe didn’t leave Poland untouched and the Ukrainians started to demand more freedom for their own culture and language. The Polish government, however, had other plans for the Ukrainians and rejected any reforms which would lead to a greater autonomy for Ukrainians. By December 1849, the Ukrainian Provisional government declared her independence from Poland. An armed conflict was unavoidable, and the 20,000 Polish soldiers, originally meant to support Austria, left Przemysl to crush the Ukrainian Uprising. Ukrainian forces near Lvov were quickly subdued and the fall of city to polish forces meant a virtual end of the revolution. In the Eastern part of Galicia, however, armed conflict between the rebels and government forces continued for almost two years before they were finally crushed.

UkrainianUprising.jpg

Under the command of Bachmann 40,000 polish troops had left Przemysl and by Christmas 1850 they had reached Budapest. No serious Hungarian opposition was encountered on the way to the capital and even there the Hungarians didn’t put up mentionable fight. Only one severely weakened infantry division and several thousand volunteers tried to stop the Polish advance. The Hungarian defenses were concentrated on an attack from the west and in combination with a numerical disadvantage, the defense of Budapest quickly collapsed and Polish troops entered the city, thus ending the Hungarian revolution.

In the east the situation looked grim, as since the start of the Austrian-Polish War Russia had fully mobilized her army, with more as 50% of it stationed at the border with Poland. Tensions were high and Poland sought new allies to protect her independence. A treaty of friendship was signed with Austria in early 1851 bringing the two nations closer together and shortly after that a treaty with Britain followed. The fears of war between Russia and Poland quickly subdued as the former declared war upon China, whilst it was plagued by the Taiping rebellion. The Chinese –Russian Border war turned out to be a complete humiliation for Russia. The Chinese held the Russian forces at bay with them only making small gains in Manchuria.

18 months after the Russian defeat in China, Europe would find herself at war again. The humiliation of the recent wars forced the Russian Tsar to seek a way to regain the prestige it had lost. Under the pretext of liberating the Orthodox Slavs in the Balkan, Russia declared war upon the Ottoman Empire. This act quickly set in motion a series of alliances, with Britain and France quickly coming to the aid of the Turks, while calling upon her allies. Poland was initially reluctant to join any war against Russia, but once it became clear that the odds were stacked against the Russians, Poland joined the war, hoping to get that vital access to the sea. In all, Austria, Britain, France, Poland, Sardinia and Sweden joined the Crimean War against Russia and Persia.

CrimeanWar.jpg

The Anti-Russian Alliance​

That is the most fearsome alliance I have ever seen arrayed against the Russians. They don't have, as Ahura Mazda put it, a chance...

Nice opportunity to reclaim eastern lands of the old Commonwealth. :D Too bad about Hungary - there was always strong friendship between Poles and Magyars.

Well, Russia's screwed. :D

Sorry for the long delay, it's not dead. On the contrary, I'm currently working on the next update. However, I've been very busy with my WW1 mod lately, so the AAR came to a temporary halt. Next week I'll have an update for you guys.

Some feedback:

All: Russia isn't so screwed. I'm playing with VIP, which has an event to end the Crimean War (have to do some modding to make sure I make some gains). And it'll trigger quite fast, so we've to be quick.

thrashing mad: Indeed it's a shame, but an independent Hungary can have some nasty side effects in a decade or so...

Gokufan: Forthcoming....

What eastern lands? Those of 1920 after the Treaty of Riga or those of the commonwealth? I think the first might be doable, but the second will be too much for us to handle at the moment, especially with nationalism and seperatism roaring its ugly head, plus a big, bad bear wanting to shred us to peaces, and when bad, the Russian AI knows when to strike.