• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just lost an update when I was transefering between word and the forum and it has made my stomach sick......... :mad:

Here's the deal, I will simmer down a little and have something big put together for tommorow.

Count Lake said:
I just lost an update when I was transefering between word and the forum and it has made my stomach sick......... :mad:

Here's the deal, I will simmer down a little and have something big put together for tommorow.

Oh no! Gah, I feel for you, losing so much hard work.

Count Lake said:

Ugh. My heartfelt sympathies. :(

And I guess that now you don't need my wisecrack advice to always save what you are writing in Word, do you? :rolleyes:

Count Lake said:

healac3.jpg

Bad luck man :(

No rush!

Interlude 5- Depression

A variety of folk tales have grown up around the “miraculous” cure delivered to King Guitard I of Aquitania by the future Saint Franklin and Bordeauxian Catholics are constantly reminded of the episode while worshipping in the city’s churches with stained glass and other decorations. Stories of an angel descending to prompt the English monk to action while he rested in Antioch or of the Saint making his way straight to the sickroom of the King without guidance from the assembled courtiers are but curiosities and not essential to our investigation within these pages. The historical facts regarding Guitard’s recovery are plain enough to see when researched properly.

409.jpg

A depicition of the scene in Antioch where Saint Franklin is awoken by an angel sent to guide the monk to Bordeaux

As a young man with much better living conditions than most in his time, King Guitard likely was able to rely on a strong constitution to sustain his body through the long malady. What exactly the illness was that plagued him is impossible to discern from the records of the time, their general descriptions of stomach pain are hardly conducive to the formation of a strong diagnosis. Regardless of what it was that plagued the Aquitanian monarch, the entire summer and most of the fall of 1127 had seen the leader of Aquitania unable to perform even the most basic of his duties while sequestered in his castle. The recuperation was likely as much a relief to Guitard as it was to the notables of the land, who saw a potential crisis regarding the potential regency for the young heir presumptive Raimond averted.

IgnatiusSickBed.jpg

Fanciful painting showing the bedridden King Guitard witnessing the approach of his salvation in the form of Saint Franklin

Here the folk tales continue, with an episode where the King offers to pay any price to the monk for his extraordinary recovery and continues with Saint Franklin asking for a burlap sack so that he may cut a new pair of foot wrappings for his travels. Even with this sign of humility, Franklin could not escape being forever tied to the site of his most famous miracle. Saint Franklin cathedral now stands within the city of Bordeaux, completed nearly a hundred and fifty years after the event and containing within it modern stain glass reproductions of originals lost after the degraded beyond repair.

dscf3618.jpg

Southeast corner of Saint Franklin cathedral in the center of Bordeaux

stainedglass.jpg

Modern stained glass within the cathedral showing a scene from the life of Saint Franklin

In addition to being enshrined in art, parts of Franklin himself would eventually make their way back to Bordeaux; Saint Franklin cathedral contains a great concentration of relics attributed to its namesake. The collection includes a shinbone, several pieces of hair, a tooth and half of the fingers of the popular saint brought and bought from the monk’s homeland of England. The number of miracles attributed to these relics over the years seems to dwarf the single great contribution Franklin made in life to Aquitania.

193184993_1abe219f7b.jpg

A collection of relics attributed to Saint Franklin on display within the Bordeaux cathedral

With the King’s recovery and the savior Saint sent on his way back to England with generous thanks, it was time to confront some of the pressing matters affecting the state. Through the King’s indisposition in the middle months of 1127, domestic and foreign affairs had been handled competently by the council, but matters requiring a sovereigns hand were now coming to a head. Perhaps the most important would be the borderline Aquitanian position on the ongoing Breton Civil War, a conflict that would soon engender a surprising twist for its participants.

Excerpt from “No Rule But Our Own- A Comprehensive Study of Aquitania’s Middle Ages” by Gervais Terceil, Chapter Five- A New King​

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the support in my time of trouble :D

Alfred Packer- The condolences are appreciated, I could barely hold myself together as I watched hours of work get trashed. Thanks for the support :)

The Guiscard- Thanks for the sympathies with the lost update! I usually do save compulsively but, for whatever reason, I wasn't on the ball yesterday... Even my autosave/crash recovery program didn't help and I was pretty mad at myself. Again thanks for the support!

Jorddarkelf- I am healed just like Guitard! Great picture and thank you very much for the support. It was just bad luck and my own hubris in challenging the computer gods, hopefully it will never happen again :D Thanks again for the picture and the sympathies!

Alright folks, we are back on track. I have class then I will get together a gameplay update for today. See you later and thank all of you once more for the patience you have had in waiting for the piece to start up again!

Enewald- Thanks for the comment!

I promise that the Civil War will get wrapped up today, it does seem like it has been going on for a long time doesn't it? It didn't help that I was gone for a week and wasn't able to bring it to a conclusion before now.

And the Saint Franklin thing was just a transition piece to get over the King's illness and flesh out a bit of the world. That's it as far as I know and I really hope that he wasn't an enemy spy :rofl: !

Thanks once more for reading and commenting! Another update in the afternoon!

Testing

As winter settled onto the land at the close of 1127, matters quickly returned to a semblance of normality within the court of Bordeaux. The attention and prayers of Brother Franklin had seemingly restored the monarch to his normal energetic self and it became apparent that King Guitard’s recovery was in no danger of relapse. Guitard wasted no time in delving once more into the intricacies of managing the state and days were spent listening to reports and attending meetings designed to bring the monarch up to date on what he had missed on his sick bed. For the most part, the King stood impressed and grateful for the choices his councilors had made, sure that his own will and the interest of Aquitania had generally been fulfilled.

Guitard followed the advice of his mother, the kingdom’s chancellor, in doling out a number of fiefs carved from the conquest of Calatyud and Empuries in the campaigns of more than a year ago. Aquitanian administration had been successfully applied to the regions and the local elites either converted to Christianity or driven off and replaced. Still, the relative isolation of the regions did not allow for the effective overseeing of tax collection by the stewards based in Bordeaux and local management by trusted vassals would only alleviate the strain they produced in the King’s demesne.

Several suggestions were presented to the King, who eventually decided on two candidates drawn from prosperous families in the capital area. Alis de Loubens and her family had been a moderate force in the court for years, providing advisors and soldiers for the Aquitanian state. The eventual reward for their service and sacrifice would be title to the Empuries region in the Pyrenees of north Spain. With no suitable male to entitle, the honor fell to the eldest daughter of the family who thanked Guitard exhaustively for his generosity and pledged unyielding loyalty as she set out for her new residence and duties as countess.

ScreenSave42.jpg

ScreenSave43.jpg

Ermengarda of Bordeaux was a distant relation of Rosa and therefore of the King himself; her entitlement was pressed for by the chancellor and confirmed by Guitard quickly despite reservations on her competency being expressed by other councilors. The province of Calatyud was entrusted to her stewardship and the newly endowed countess soon left the capital at the head of her household staff.

ScreenSave45.jpg

ScreenSave47.jpg

In addition to these appointments, King Guitard settled on creating new ranks of peerage to accommodate the expanded scope of his realm. The title of Duchess of Barcelona was restored to Isabel de Barcelona nearly twenty years after her family had been driven from their possessions by the advancing Muslims. The campaigns of Zavie and Guitard had seen this trend reversed and nearly all of the ancestral Barcelona lands were now contained within Aquitanian hegemony. Agostino, the Bishop of Zaragoza and Lleida, was confirmed in the title of Aragon and now stood at the head of the Kingdom’s first Archbishopric.

ScreenSave57.jpg

ScreenSave61.jpg

These matters of state and the associated minutiae involved in the transference of power took up the majority of Guitard’s attention while winter came and went outside the frosted parapets of Bordeaux castle. The other major issue facing him, the matter that weighed on his mind day in and out, was how to handle the continuing civil war in Brittany. The situation could honestly not become much worse; resistance to the rebellion on the peninsula had utterly crumbled before the continued onslaught of the revolutionaries. Additionally, nearly all of the Spanish possessions had struck off from the dubious authority of King Llewelyn and had subsequently been engulfed by neighboring sheikdoms. Decades of progress by Brittany in Spain had been reversed in months.

ScreenSave7-1.jpg

To be clear, Brittany used to hold Valencia, La Mancha, Almeria, Murcia and Denia and has lost them all

Nearly all of the formerly loyal Breton counts and barons had clearly seen the writing on the wall and abandoned their support for Llewelyn and the King now stood on a narrow pillar of support in Nantes and Rennes. Dispatches and messages regularly arrived in Bordeaux, most of them dictated by Llewelyn himself pleading for deliverance from the usurpers and treacherous pig dogs that called themselves the rightful lords of Brittany. Guitard’s replies promised nothing, but urged the overwhelmed Breton King to resist with the hope that Aquitanian troops could be spared for a spring offensive.

Bretontheatreofwar.png

ScreenSave38.jpg

ScreenSave65.jpg

ScreenSave72.jpg

It was into this maelstrom that King Guitard eventually decided to send a sizeable expeditionary force in the spring of 1128. Marteu de Bourbon, Count of Lusignan and a capable young commander, was chosen to lead the force to restore unity and order to the lands of Aquitania’s ally. The decision to attempt once more to rescue his ally was not an easy one to arrive at, but Guitard had been convinced by his marshal that victory was assured if the troops were made available and by the interventionalist faction within the council that the Bretons would be forever indebted to Aquitania for their deliverance. Ordering that the funds and supplies be made ready for the campaign, the King waited for the storm to break.

ScreenSave49.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so I got a little ahead of myself when I said the war would be over today. How does tommorow sound to everyone? You love the plan? That's great, its settled; another update tommorow to finish the civil war and see whether Aquitania can dig the Bretons out of their hole.

See everyone tommorow! :D

Has the night set on the rule of the King of Brittany? I hope Aquitania's support can still come in time to make a difference... and not just clean up after the traitors' celebrations.
The loss of the Breton southern Mediterranean is a sad one. Is it Denia (Mallorca) which has taken their provinces?

Jorddarkelf- Thanks very much for the comment!

The Breton Civil War will come to it's conclusion tommorow and we will have to wait and see what path things take. With all of the rebellions and general lack of friendly troops, it will likely be a dicey situation!

I too was sad at the loss of the Breton provinces down in southern Spain. They were a great help in diverting attention should one of the big emirates attack me and it was simply cool to see an AI doing well in carving out a little home away from home. I can't be sure about the controllers of the regions you mentioned, I will check with the game save and update tommorow but your guess at Mallorca seems right for the tanish provinces. The others are kind of jumbled but I know La Mancha is controlled by Granada.

To be clear, the Bretons used to hold Valencia, La Mancha, Denia, Almeria and Murcia before losing all of them.

Thanks once again for reading and commenting!

I've been very busy lately and haven't had the time to keep up. I was happy to discover that I'd only missed one update. Now that I'm current, I'm looking forward to the next update.

Regards,
Eikinskjaldi

Acceptance

The Aquitanian army headed by Mateu de Bourbon was ready to march on the revolt as soon as the weather cleared in the early spring of 1128. Comprising four thousand men, the force was superior in numbers to the assembled Breton rebels but would have to deal with a long supply line from the northern provinces of Aquitania as well as a hostile countryside. Allied support from the loyalist camp would likely be negligible, sapped as their armies were from their losing campaigns of the previous year. With the blessings of his King conveyed in the last war council before his departure, Mateu set out to met his regiment.

Bretontheatreofwar.png

Marching into Nantes, Mateu was unsurprised by the desolation the conflict had visited upon the countryside by raiding rebel troops. With King Llewelyn’s few faithful soldiers manning the ramparts of his castles, the common folk had nothing to protect them from the depravations of the foe and the few scattered villages that were not burnt out were fortified with layers of palisades. Bones from livestock, wreckage from carts shared the roadside with filthy refugees making their homes from scraps of tent fabric and the meager possessions they had saved from their hovels. Several small groups of armed men were observed by the scouts during the march, deserters preying off the refuse and chaos left with the breakdown of authority. The recovery of the Kingdom would undoubtedly take years and the scars created by the conflict fester for generations.

Messengers from the Breton King greeted the Aquitanian army as they crossed the blasted landscape, praising Mateu’s appearance as the salvation of Brittany and eagerly offering the hospitality of Nantes castle to the Count and his entourage. Mateu declined the invitation, knowing that his mission to liberate the country could brook no delay and that he must therefore focus on locating and defeating the rebel forces in the field. Letters detailing strategic intelligence passed between the Breton marshal and the Count, allowing Mateu to plan his advance to the rebellion’s homeland in Penthievre and Leon. As was feared, loyalist Breton forces were far too weak to be of any help in the campaign even if the King could have been convinced to letting them leave the citadel.

The shape of the rebel plans was soon clear to Count Mateu as he studied the patchy reports provided by the Breton staff sent to accompany his army. Significant enemy forces were thought to be concentrated in both Vannes and Penthievre, preparing for a final push against the King’s fortress in Nantes to secure their victory. Unwilling to divide his own army to attack each separately given the difficulties in logistics and communication, Mateu choose to move against the enemy gathering in Penthievre and hoped that his pressure on the homeland of the rebellion would give the traitorous vassals pause in their attack against the loyalist capital. Parting from the fields of Nantes, the Aquitanian expeditionary army soon found itself in battle.

ScreenSave50.jpg

Meogon Penteur stood at the head of his own army, drawn from the disillusioned Breton noblemen who saw the imposition of King Llywelyn on their country as intolerable. The Duke’s promise to return Brittany to Breton rule and the recent glories of Marc Kerne had struck a resounding cord with both his direct vassals and others fed up with the incompetent foreigner King. The last year had seen great successes with numerous other counts on the peninsula had throwing off the yoke of the crown’s rule and the royal demesne in Spain neutralized by Muslim insurgents. While he was far from pleased at the loss of those territories to the infidel, it only made his victory against the inept Llywelyn easier.

Unable or unwilling to meet his foe’s army in a pitched battle, the Breton King retreated to his castles and effectively ceded the countryside to Meogon, who was all too keen to attack the exposed territory and thumb his nose at royal authority. Aquitanian attention and assistance, on which the survival of the hated crown depended, had first been drawn south by Sevilla then kept in check by their King’s illness. Now the Breton Duke faced an Aquitanian army whose size was over twice his own in his own province. With the rest of his army away preparing for the final offensive on the royal enclave at Nantes in neighboring Vannes, only drastic action would allow his campaign for liberation and the overthrow of the monarchy to continue.

ScreenSave6-1.jpg

Escape with as many troops as possible was the only course Meogon and his fellow commanders saw as reasonable; whatever survivors managed to meet up with the other detachments would only increase the chances of success against the King before Aquitanian manpower wore the revolt down. Their own homes, left open to attack with the withdraw, might have to be sacrificed for the overarching goal of settling the crown. Seeking to disengage themselves from the main body of Aquitanians, the rebel troops made for series of bridges crossing a sizeable river to the southwest. Consultation of his maps and recent intelligence reports quickly informed Count Mateu of the rebel plan and he ordered an immediate move to interdict the escaping troops.

A series of heavy skirmishes between the rearguard of the rebel army and the pursuing Aquitanians defined the day. Each confrontation told markedly in Mateu’s favor, his light cavalry cutting through any formation of rebels that dropped behind the protection of their fellows strung out for the march. Casualties mounted on the rebel side until the crossing was in sight, a mad rush by the leading elements to the opposite side to escape the trailing Aquitanians characterizing the last frantic minutes. With night settling in and both sides exhausted from the chase, both Aquitanians and remaining Bretons of the rearguard settled into a weary rest.

Knowing that another day of pursuit would likely see the destruction of his entire army, Duke Penteur immediately set orders for the rapid destruction of the bridge with the rearguard still on the opposite side of the river. The ancient stone greatly resisted the tireless work of the laborers but before morning a sizeable gap had been opened on the causeway. Withdrawing once more after leaving a small force to harass any attempt to bridge the gap, the rebel troops marched to join their comrades in Vannes.

ScreenSave51.jpg

While the number of casualties stood highly in his favor, Count Mateu could only consider the escape of hundreds of rebel troops a sort of defeat in itself. The remaining rebel troops on his side of the river had surrendered after light fighting and the garrison left to annoy the Aquitanian troops set on repairing the gap in the bridge was only slowly being nullified. Unencumbered troops might easily make it to the other side of the river without the aid of the bridge, but the carts and draft animals carrying the supplies on which it depended were not so likely to survive a crossing. Other passages further along the river might be used as well, but they would likely take more time out of the way than the repairs. Four interminable days passed before the bridge was declared fit for army’s crossing and a series of hard marches designed to again bring the foe to battle soon left the expeditionary regiments faint with fatigue. It was not until the outskirts of Nantes province itself that the Aquitanians again confronted the rebel troops moving to attack the last obstacle between their overthrow of King Llywelyn.

ScreenSave54.jpg

The balance of powers much more equal in this engagement than the last, Meogon felt confident enough to take the offensive against the Aquitanian positions. The two bodies of infantry crashed together like two waves of flesh and steel, the Aquitanian line buckling under the fervor of the Breton attack. Count Mateu could see that his soldiers would not hold under the continuous pressure applied by the rebel attack, they had been pushed too hard in the pursuit and were now paying the price on the field of battle. Both sides committed every reserve to the melee, neither willing to let any resource go to waste in this battle to the death. Thoughts of how he might deal with the political and social fallout of such an odious defeat whirled through the Count’s mind quicker than he could take account of them.

It was a complete surprise to all involved in the battle when a small mounted force appeared atop one of the low ridges surrounding the plain on which the fight was being held. After heated discussions with his generals over the necessity of assisting the Aquitanians, King Llywelyn had stridently refused to authorize any such adventure that might take men from the garrison. Led by the only duke to stay loyal to the crown, Geoffroy Beskond, over a hundred Breton horsemen had chosen to disregard the King’s order and it was they that drove down into the exposed flank of the rebel host before they could maneuver and wheeled again and again to strike at the perplexed and distraught rebels. The massive stroke of providence lifting their spirits, the Aquitanians soon matched then exceeded their foes in the intensity of their fighting.

ScreenSave59-1.jpg

The sudden shock of the loyalist cavalry and renewed vigor of the Aquitanians sealed the downfall of the rebellion on the battleground of Nantes; Meogon Penteur fleeing the field with the scattered remnants of his army for the interior of the peninsula. Geoffroy himself fell in the battle, struck down by an unlucky javelin hurled by a rebel irregular and hundreds of Aquitanians had breathed their last fighting for a foreign cause on foreign soil. The two allied forces greeted one another warmly and Mateu thanked the surviving leaders of the regiment graciously for the pivotal role they had played. Still, the march back to the gates of Nantes castle was a mutedly sober affair as the summer sun and accompanying heat made its first appearance of the year.

ScreenSave56.jpg

Several weeks after he had first arrived in Brittany, Count Mateu de Bourbon finally made his way to an audience with King Llywelyn. The signs of the countries scarcity were evident even in the King himself, a young man that cut a gaunt figure sitting on his throne with a smile that pulled the stretched skin of his face even tighter. Those courtiers in audience to the King looked malnourished and weary, the year of self produced siege seeming to lie heavily on their spirits. Through a translator, Mateu was praised for the deliverance of the country and crown and asked what the plans were for the continuation of the campaign.

The Count responded humbly, saying that the arrival of the loyalist cavalry had turned the tide and commenting that the foe was all but beaten with the two battles destroying their manpower reserves. The lengthy process of siege would still need to be carried out but no other difficulty could be foreseen. Operations against the rebel citadels would likely last until the end of the year and Mateu emphasized that a secure supply line from the Breton provinces would be the only way to accomplish the goal.

It was with great shock that Mateu listened to the King respond that the nobles that had lead the cavalry force had been imprisoned and stripped of their lands for the dereliction of their duty to guard the castle and stood in danger of being executed. Seemingly surprised at the outburst of protest that came from the Count regarding his royal judgment of the men, King Llywelyn quickly grew incensed himself and angrily ordered the general removed from the audience chamber. Numb from the initial outburst of anger, several courtiers stepped forward to urge restraint but ended up only fanning the flames of the Breton King’s temper. Turning his back and departing quickly as the monarch launched into a rambling tirade against the traitors within his own walls and in the armies of his allies, Mateu cursed under his breath at the injustice of Llywelyn.

Tense weeks resulted from the confrontation in the audience room, with Mateu refusing to meet again with the Breton King unless he promised the release of those men who had ridden to the assistance of the Aquitanians. The rest of the Aquitanian leadership in the army supported the move personally, but were fearful of the consequences that standing up to the King would produce.

For his part, Llywelyn snubbed the suggestion that a count dictate the terms of how he might rule his own Kingdom and demanded that the expeditionary force be removed from his territory despite the earnest entreaties of his advisors. The rebel threat to the capital was averted for the moment, but the depleted loyalist Breton armies could not hope to regain the lands still in rebel hands without Aquitanian assistance. Outside the walls of Nantes citadel, the Aquitanian army waited while a war of words raged in the leadership.

In Bordeaux, King Guitard had spent the last months idly working through state issues as they presented themselves while still keeping as up to date as possible with the campaign in Brittany. Little Raimond, heir to the throne, had been sent with a significant staff to live with members of Chancellor Rosa’s extended family on their estate outside the capital. His mother had convinced Guitard of the necessity of the move despite the strident protests of Eve to have the boy stay within the castle. The parting of mother and child had been bitter and the Queen had refused to see the King for several days after the event.

ScreenSave67.jpg

ScreenSave0-1.jpg

Receiving messages from the Breton campaign, King Guitard was happy to see the relative success the expeditionary army was having and celebrated with the rest of the cabinet at the news of the crucial victory in Nantes. Yet, as reports of the growing confrontation between Mateu and Llywelyn started to dominate discussion within the council, a critical choice needed to be made once again. The Breton King had dictated several letters addressed to the Aquitanian monarch, each more demanding and threatening than the last, culminating in a promise not to feed the expeditionary army unless Mateu was recalled and stripped of his title. Indignant at the tone these letters took, Guitard sent his own strongly worded replies that continued for weeks without making any headway on the issue. Several councilors suggested removing the impertinent count with a more pliable subject while others pressed the moral issue and the impertinence of Llywelyn’s demands insisted that Guitard threaten to remove the army if the Breton nobles weren’t released.

As the days drove on and the situation grew more and more divisive, a chance at peace found its way to the capital. A ship carrying a senior Breton nobleman aligned with Meogon arrived with his staff to seek terms with which to leave Aquitania out of the war. Charismatic and convincing in his speeches before the council, the nobleman urged that the conflict between their respective lands was but a drastic mistake that had gone on for far too long. Peace, cooperation and understanding had defined Breton-Aquitanian relations up until this point, why not return to it? Llywelyn himself was not suited for the throne and repaid the support and sacrifice of Aquitania with caustic remarks and treachery.

Many of the nobleman’s points struck home to the Aquitanians. The upkeep of the army in normal circumstances was a significant drain and Llywelyn’s threat to cut his own supply would only cause greater hardship. Truly, the Breton-Aquitanian relationship had been driven downhill by the personality of the Welsh immigrant King and no reciprocation for the time, effort and money spent on the war seemed likely to be forthcoming given the shattered state of the Breton empire. The continuation of the war would only lead to the lost of more life and gold coins with no gain. Still, the thought of acting against the man who stood as his “ally” left a bitter taste within King Guitard’s mouth.

It was with a heavy heart that Guitard, acting with the majority of his councilors in support, accepted the terms presented by the Breton negotiator. A sizeable indemnity would be taken and exclusive trade rights and tax exemptions giving to Aquitanian merchants in lands under Meogon’s control for five years. In return, the Aquitanian army would be withdrawn from Nantes and would not interdict in Breton affairs as the war continued. It seemed only likely that the recovery of his losses and assurances of Aquitanian neutrality would allow Meogon to finally achieve his goal.

ScreenSave53.jpg

ScreenSave71.jpg

The order for Mateu to turn his army for the Aquitanian border was a welcome relief to the incessant bickering that had characterized exchanges between himself and Llywelyn for the last months; the worn out messengers that carried the missives between the castle and the encamped army outside would finally be given a break. Without informing his host, the Count called for the force to be made ready to move out. Raising the army from its lethargy in the summer heat took longer than expected and the army was only able to make half of its normal marching distance by nightfall. Riders sent from the castle demanded to know the meaning of the move, consistently arguing that rebel troops would undoubtedly strike at the unprotected capital. Mateu did not bother to make a response.

The attack on Nantes did come, but from a wholly unexpected source. North African pirates, operating from bases leased from the Emirate of Sevilla on the north coast of Spain, had been raiding along the coast of Brittany since the outbreak of hostilities. With no organized response from the embattled crown the attacks had been highly successful, escalating from small fishing villages to inland market towns. This series of achievements drew yet more of the pirates and whetted their taste for more slaves and plunder.

The ultimate assault came on the citadel of Nantes itself in the fall of 1128, with a large war party of Muslim pirates and brigands marching inland to besiege the isolated castle. Their hope was to capture and ransom the King himself, a notorious shut in, and their plan seemed possible with the absence of the Aquitanian army and general weakness of the garrison. It was not until the lightning assault carried the walls from the unprepared defenders that they discovered that the King had retired to Rennes and the greater safety of the citadel and allied troops there mere days before the attack. Contenting themselves with an orgy of plunder in the castle and surrounding villages, the majority of the pirates retreated, yet others remained to use the castle as a base to strike at other targets in the region.

The territorial situation on the Breton peninsula could not have been more chaotic as 1128 drew to a close. Muslim bandits occupied the former capital of the Kingdom while the King himself was reduced to a beggarly existence at the last remaining loyal court in Rennes. Duke Meogon had extended his dominion over Vannes and easily stood as the most powerful force emerging from the patchwork of fiefs torn from the body of the ailing Kingdom. Still, the situation was out of control.

ScreenSave76.jpg

In Bordeaux, King Guitard and the rest of the notables of the court considered how to deal with the ongoing chaos. Relations with the nominal King of Brittany had been cut off almost entirely when the seperate peace negotiated between the Duchy of Brittany and Aquitania became known and it seemed likely that matters would have to be handled without Llywelyn's input. The terms of the treaty had stipulated that the Aquitanian army would not interfere with the peninsula but it had not envisioned the creation of a Muslim state just across the border from that Kingdom. So far, no major raids from the pirates ensconced at Nantes had been aimed at the well prepared Aquitanian border guards but it seemed only a matter of time before the event occurred. Another meeting with the Duchy of Brittany regarding these developments was essential to the security of the country.

Additionally, in the northern fief of Poitiers, an occasion of no small importance came to be. Driven from the court of Brittany with the death of his father nearly three years previously, Marc Kerne had managed to evade those he was convinced sought to end his life; as the last surviving issue of the King, he had been seen as the logical focal point of any rebellion. The Bastard of Nantes had skillfully made his way through the courts of several counts and dukes in France and England before finding the protection of Poitiers, where he asked to be transported to Bordeaux and given an audience with King Guitard.

ScreenSave77.jpg

The Aquitanian King sent word to make preparations for Marc's journey to the capital.​

Last edited:
Yikes but that was an effort! Sorry for the big blocks of text and general lack of "moving around armies" pictures, this was the last part where I had lost a portion of my screenshots!

I likely have quite a few spelling errors and whatso and I wasn't able to give as much detail to the proceedings as I would have liked but things will kick up a notch now that I am caught up in my game :p

Anyways, I will have a poll up tommorow to offer some choices of what to do with the bastard Marc Kerne :D . All that I have done so far is edit the file to bring him to Bordeaux and Guitard's court, he really was just hanging out in Poitiers as a fosterling.

Eikinskjaldi- Thank you very much for the comment and for reading!

I am glad that you are back and have gotten caught up with everything, I myself had a bit of a break and wasn't able or willing to do an update for about a week. So you really didn't miss much!

Again, very glad to have you back and thanks very much for reading and commenting!

Last edited:
Okay, here is the place to vote for the how Guitard will react to the Breton bastard, Marc Kerne. If you have any questions about the options or the players involved, please ask here on the forum or leave a comment on the poll page.

Vote here, no registration required!

Basically, it boils down to the options of me seeking to conquer the peninsula and installing Marc Kerne, keeping the bastard at the court in Bordeaux for some later date, sending him to Meogon Pentuer's court (where he will likely meet an untimely demise) or something else that you can come up with!

Like I said, any questions just ask. The poll will be active for a day and a half or so. Vote early and vote often and thank you all very, very much for reading :D

Thanks very much to all that have voted so far in the poll! I am seeing a definite trend towards intervention but voting will remain open until early tonight :D

Enewald-Thanks for the comment and for reading!

Don't worry yourself there friend, times they are a' changing! If the vote continues to go the way it is leaning (which seems likely), massive Aquitanian intervention will soon sweep those who would divide Brittany from the land! Marc Kerne the Bastard will sit on the throne and be forever thankful for his placement there!

Thanks again for commenting :p

Jordarkelf- Great to have you reading and commenting!

Vive indeed! The Bastard was a lucky find and really added a bit of drama to the developing story, we shall soon see how everyting turns out!

I'm also glad that you are able to vote this time, its been awhile since I used the audience participation method and I really like the results when I do take the time to put something together!

Thanks again for reading and commenting!

Kadvael56- Thank you very much for the comments and for reading, as well as a few questions!

Both Counts of Vannes and Cornouaille are not relatives of any Breton King past of present and it seems likely that both were former courtiers to Llywelyn before being given their posts and eventually rebelling. If you would like, I could post their character portraits but really they are pretty much non-entities in the whole seccession game.

Looking closely at Meogon Pentuer, Duke of Brittany and my main foe in the Breton Civil War of years previous, reveals a surprising turn. He is related to the former King Marc in a very strange way that I am not even sure there is a relative name for. Basically, Meogon is the half-brother (different mothers) to one of the old King's nieces. Not a very strong tie I think!

Thank you very much for the questions and the comment, please ask away if anything else comes to mind!