• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am struggling with a total crash of my computer. And I haven't figured out the malfunctioning parts yet.
And this is just one of many other things that causes the delay.
I'm not quite sure how to continue. And the fact that everyone wants me to conquer all of south america / america / spain and portugal / the world doesn't help.

In the next days my hardware problems should be solved and if you want to you can give me some ideas how to continue. And history isn't just to wage war and to conquer.

Greets,
Treppe

Libertad o Muerte! Pt. X - 1845

1845headersn3.jpg

Royal Palace - La Plata

Isabellas response reached the royal platinean court mid-february. She excused herself that she had to deny the proposal because of innerpolitcal circumstances. She blamed the moderate government under the duke of Valencia for the denial but all of europe knew that the french king Louis Philippe was gambling for the spanish throne as well.
The platinean king was not amused to hear this news. This unique possibilty of solving the conflict between the royal houses peacefully was gone. Now he had to look out for another potential bride for his eldest son, which could be atmost second choice.

1845isabellacp2.jpg

President Ramón María Narváez y Campos, Duke of Valencia (right) lead the resistance against the carlist marriage proposal.​

Dear friend,
We might have a new government and a glorious king but we don't have more liberty than before. The new government is as repressive as the old was. The inquisition is as seems to be even worse than the mazorca. The people around the world are leaning up against their oppresors and so should we. We can't afford to wait till freedom and liberty are granted to us by our king and his crownies. Furthermore I recommend you to read Sarmiento's new novel "Facundo: Civilización y Barbarie" which is the newest bestseller all around Buenos Aires.
Sincerly yours,
E.E.

1845revolutiondk9.jpg

In the spring of 1845 revolutionary ideas from europe and the socioritical book "Facundo" hit the platinean society leading to civil unrest once more.​

Cathedral construction site - La Plata

Foreman Bernado Estrada was working hard with his group of labourers all day long to excavate the fundament for the new cathedral of La Plata. The work was as hard as ever and the schedule for the construction of the cathedral was optimistic at best. But he had seen the plans and some drawings of the cathedral on the desk of the master builder. The cathedral would be a real beauty and a true masterpiece of architecture once finished. Shining in a mild 'rosa' and decorated with white 'stucco' and marble. His muscles were aching but his heart was filled with proud. Proud to be part of this great and god pleasing venture.

1845cathedralegi3.jpg

Carlos I. ordered the construction of a large cathedral in the new capital of La Plata as the tomb of the platinean royal family.​

1845impressionenpx7.jpg

Left: Prince Juan picks up Princess Juanaria at the imperial brazilian court at Petropolis for the marriage parade through Rio de Janeiro.
Right: Princess Juanaria bids farewell to her brother Emperor Dom Pedro II. and other members of the imperial brazilian court

1845heiratxt7.jpg

The royal marriage between Prince Juan and Princess Juanaria in the Metropolitan Cathedral in Buenos Aires was the first highlight of the platinean kingdom. In these days La Plata spilled over with nobles from Brazil and Platinea as well as the ambassadors from many european countries and the represantatives of theirroyal families.​

1845industrievn8.jpg

Author's note:
Selfmade event: Isabella denies marriage offer
Selfmade event: The Cathedral of La Plata
Selfmade event: Royal Marriage

I may add something about the wedding ceremony and the connected festivities at some point in the future.

Last edited:
Just a cursory glance atm, but wanted to add

* the maps and presentation are insightful and gorgeous - excellent work;
* therefore, it's good that you're soldiering on, and thank you for doing so;
* I don't want you to take over the world - in fact, I think you should give Uruguay back. :D

Ah excellent to see this back again :) So Argentina is going through both good and bad times. The royalty makes the people happy, but the royalties policies make them angry... some people, you just can't please 'em.

I'm really liking this AAR, and honestly it's amusing that so many argentines seem to have converged on it :D

One nitpick though: La Plata would not be a viable capital for the kingdom, for the simple reason that is didn't even exist at the time. La Plata was founded and built in 1882 after Buenos Aires was made a federal district separate from the province.

Also, it would be difficult to justify leaving Buenos Aires unless it was to go to one of the other "major" cities at the time, which would have been Cordoba or Tucuman.

sanmartin said:
I'm really liking this AAR, and honestly it's amusing that so many argentines seem to have converged on it :D

One nitpick though: La Plata would not be a viable capital for the kingdom, for the simple reason that is didn't even exist at the time. La Plata was founded and built in 1882 after Buenos Aires was made a federal district separate from the province.

Also, it would be difficult to justify leaving Buenos Aires unless it was to go to one of the other "major" cities at the time, which would have been Cordoba or Tucuman.

Taking out La Plata by now would be a major setback... :(

@Forced Change: Thank you and welcome. Well a good wedding is always appreciated but until now it's not much of a story but just some fancy pictures. Errection ;). I changed it to construction to prevent any further missunderstanding.

@Llywelyn: I wish I could improve my writing as much as my image editing skill. Actually I wanted to do a map of South America for every decade, but now I'm playing around with the idea to do one for every five year span. Maybe I will do a map for 1845 just for the fun of it.

@robou: You can never please all the people all the time. And there were many ideological quarrels in the Victorian Age and I guess we will see some in the future.

@sanmartin: Well I'm sorry for the mistake which is quite embarassing for me because one close look at wikipedia could have told me that. It was just poor research. Now I will have to do a cover up.

@congo: Good to see you back, too. I won't take out La Plata now. It just somehow exists. I will give a thought about how in the next days.
In the meantime just think about it as the initial carlist palace outside of Buenos Aires around which a town developed...

I will definately come back to show you the city of La Plata.

And thank you all for your patience with me and be assured that I'm not willing to led this AAR die in such an early state with most of the action still ahead of us and a head full of strange ideas.

Last edited:
Maybe the city of La Plata could have been constructed more early, as the capital of the Kingdom (like St-Petersburg, Brasilia, etc.).

Anyway, great excellent AAR. :)

I love your selfmade events :D

Libertad o Muerte! Pt. XI - 1846

1846headerwp9.jpg

Royal Palace - La Plata

The large wooden plated room was cramped with books, plans and a vast amount of obscure tools and mockups. A dozen candeliers delivered just enough light for the two men to look at the plans on the desk. The desk was overcrowded with plans and large drawings about which the two men were discussing. This meeting was going on for hours already. Both the King and the master builder had thrown ideas back and forth and now the new shape of La Plata became visible bit by bit. Soon it would be clearly visible on the plans and drawings and then would thousands of labourers reshape the landscape and the town itself. What had begun as the country estate of an exiled king soon would become a most modern and opulent metropolitan capital.
1846urbanizationor7.jpg

Fortin San Martin - Santiago

Capitan Morazon stood on the outer walls of Fortin San Martin in the early evening as the last garrison troops reported back from their daily patrol duty. His initial orders didn't foresaw patrol duty in the province capital of Santiago. He and his men just were ordered to assume control over Fortin San Martin and to disarm the non-platinean garrison troops. But exercise was never as easy as the theory. Many now ex-soldiers fled in to the mountains still armed with muskets and rifles. The civilians were upset about the recent changes supported the armed locals. Since then patroling around the city became inevitable. And with the kings recent decree about the replacement of most parts of aristocracy and clergy in this province Capitan Morazons problems would increase tenfold. He was ordered to assume control over the city, too as long as the new civilian administration arrives. Capitan Morazon decided to go back to his office he had the feeling that this chilly andean air was everything but good for his health.
1846militaryreformpa5.jpg

1846nobilityreformtg6.jpg

Teatro Argentino - La Plata

Jacint Galiana was chatting with some army officers dressed in their best parade uniforms in the foyer. His company a fair young lady by the name of Estella seemed to be horrible bored but tried to hide it beneath a smile. Jacint was made Barón del Juarez just a few weeks ago and the grand opening of the new constructed "Teatro Argentino" was his first opportunity to act in public according to his new social status and among those of proper rank. He heard the rumor that it came to a quarrel about which play should be performed tonight. Rumors say that intitially a very liberal and progressive play should be staged but to please the king it was decided to perform Cervantes "Don Quijote". Jacint wasn't interested in that anyways. He wasn't here for the fine arts but to establish ties wit the noble establishment. And which place could be better than the new national theater where all the kingdoms greatness was brought alive by statues, frescos, mosaics and large gilden chandeliers
1846teatroargentinolc3.jpg

Ministry of Foreign Affairs - La Plata

Eduardo Picardo, the recently announced minister of foreign affairs, sat at his desk studying the last reports from the platinean ambassadors all around South America. The king demanded of him to look closer at the european continent. He was surely hoping to reclaim the spanish throne and therefore was seeking the goodwill of the european great powers. But it would be good if the nation also had some stable relations and some allies in South America, too. And now that the new elected president Ramón Castilla refused to prolong the military alliance with Platinea Picardo was hardly thinking about other potential allies to improve the nations position on the american continent.
Ecuador, Columbia and Venezuela turned into democracies in the last years and with the king's stance towards anything democratic Picardo knew that there wasn't the slightest chance to improve relations with them. And the king told him not to make any moves towards or against the Piratini Republic, the king would handle this case himself he was told. And with Peru gone only Brazil seemed to be elligble as a future partner on the continent. The relations to the Brazilian Empire improved greatly since the royal marriage, and the news of Princess Januaria's pregnancy was cheered in Platinea and Brazil alike. At the other hand Brazil was a constitutional monarchy with the liberals in power at the moment. But still the Empire of Brazil was the best choice to improve relations to.
1846brasilienjx9.jpg

1846perugt8.jpg

Harbour of Montevideo

The clipper "Santa Cruz" anchored in the harbour of Montevideo and it was the first time that Bonaventura Carles Aribau was unfettered by fear and full of hope for the future. Finally he found a save haven for his family and his scholars. As a catalan author he always was a thorn in the spanish goverments side but after his last publication things really got bad. The police searched him for treason and lèse-majesty. That was the time when he knew he had to into exile. A friend's friend established a connection to a carlist captain who offered a passag on board his ship to Platinea. He wasn't sured what he should expect but he was curious to see the new world. Maybe it wont be for long and soon he could return to Catalonia together with his family.
1846scientister2.jpg

Author's note:
Selfmade event: "Urbanization of La Plata"
Selfmade event: "A Reform of the Military"
Selfmade event: "Reform of nobility and clergy"
Selfmade event: "Teatro Argentino"

Last edited: