• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice continued growth, but with no navy and more Mediterranean coast to defend I hope you haven't bitten off more than you can chew. With luck, you'll get enough extra manpower (and some IC as well) from the Italian colonies to make it worthwhile. How many tech teams do you have now?

WhisperingDeath said:
Nice continued growth, but with no navy and more Mediterranean coast to defend I hope you haven't bitten off more than you can chew. With luck, you'll get enough extra manpower (and some IC as well) from the Italian colonies to make it worthwhile. How many tech teams do you have now?

All five. Nothing to write home about, mind you, but I have all five.

I think I solved the manpower question in regards to defending the coastlines by using 24 NAV and 16 FTR/INT to cover the two sea zones, giving me a blanket coverage from Genoa right across. 12 NAv and 8 FTR/INT (3 fighters, 1 interceptor) should be able to cover the zone nicely, and will dedicate tech teams to making sure aviation techs are up to speed. This will enable me to have only a 3 division (CAV, MECH, MOT) in each of Yugoslavia, Greece and Italy as a high speed reactionary force. I think this should do the trick reasonably well.

Sounds like a plan.

Quick question - what would be a fair price to pay for transports?

The game engine doesnt allow trading divisions (unless using Acceptall), and I dont have a problem with it as such, but I would love to grab the 9 transports that are sitting in drydock in Rostock (nice rhyming pattern there). Germany has no fleet left aside from a few subs, and the transports are being completely wasted. Thinking long term of in terms of amphibious assaults on those British islands that are glaringly not part of the Greater Romanian Empire.

Fairly certain that Germany doesnt need resources at this point, so was thinking of trading a province for the transports - something like Hollabrun, a province which I dont really need, and would look nice in German grey.

Would that be a fair price to pay? A province plus, say, 5k in supplies for 9 unused transports? Would save me 9 manpower, and every last bit that I can squeeze out is important. Or would this be too gamey?

Last edited:
To Be or Not to Be – That is the German Question
May 6 1939 to July 24 1940

On July 13th, Michael proclaimed Constantinople as the new capital of Republica României Mari, citing the need for a glittering capital worthy of the empire that Romania was carving out for itself. He vowed that no expense would be spared in restoring the city to its former glory, and that future generations would ail the city as one of the great cities of the world, and a cultural centre on par with Berlin. To him, the Romanian people were the spiritual descendants of the glory that was the Holy Roman Empire, and it was only natural to make the city the new capital.

constantinople.jpg

On August 30th, Germany issued a final ultimatum in regards to Danzig, which the Polish government refused to even consider. The Allies warned Germany of the consequences of an invasion, but those warnings were ignored and the forces of the Reich plunged across the border and utterly destroyed the Polish army, as expected. By September 11th, Poland was no more.

After that flurry of excitement… nothing. The Phoney War kicked in, and Germany and their western enemies settled down for a lovely winter, with nothing expected to happen until winter gave way for spring. Finally, after a long and bitter winter, Germany declared war on Belgium and Netherlands on March 2nd. Eveyone breathlessly anticipated seeing German divisions marching across the lowlands on way to Paris… but nothing happened. The German leadership seemed paralyzed with indecision.

Which is not a good thing.

On the same day, Romania joined the Axis, which was always the logical course of action when one wants to be the predominant Mediterranean power, an action that would involve kicking the British, French, Egyptians, Spanish and Egyptians out of the region. An alliance with Germany would allow that, as anything south of the Alps has to be considered within the realm of influence of Romania. At the same time, Albania (yes, Italy had still not conquered this tiny little country, but I suppose that’s to be expected given the ass-whooping they were given) is informed that a state of war is in existence between the glorious forces of Romania and their miniscule nation. Just to round out the afternoon, Italy is also informed that their presence is no longer welcome (a dissent hit, but nothing really to worry about).

A very nice side effect to the declaration on Albania is that if forced the Albanians into the arms of the Allies, which then in turn declared war on Italy. So the Italians were now at war with everyone immediately connected to them. A rather nice bonus.

The most troublesome thing with joining up with Germany was seeing just how badly prepared they were for war. Their army totals were alarmingly low, and while what they had would most likely be more than enough for the Allies (quality vs quantity and all that), against the Soviets they would be crushed like a bug.

assault08.jpg
60-70 divisions short of where Germany should be at this point.. not a good thing.

The goals of the Spring 1940 offensive were to destroy Albania, take the British possessions in Yugoslavia and Greece, finish the job on Italy, capture the French possessions in Turkey and secure Grenoble and Nice (both lightly defended). The first objectives were laughably easy, as the Allies were truly caught with their pants down and in short order the Adriatic was transformed into a Romanian only ocean.

assault01.jpg

To safeguard the underbelly of Europe, 24 squadrons of NAVs were put to use, backed up with 16 squads of FTR/INT (3 to 1 ratio), which should be more than enough to prevent any amphibious assaults along the coasts of the Aegean and Tyrrhenian Seas (just in case, three reactionary forces were created (CAV/MECH/MOT), one each in Italy, Yugoslavia and Greece). When radar becomes available, blanket coverage will be setup to ensure that nothing gets within 100 miles of landing on the shores of Greater Romania.

assault02.jpg
assault03.jpg

By April 21st, all objectives had been reached, with Rome being the toughest nut to crack (taking a whopping 20 days to finally submit). Sicily was a whole other matter, and its capture didn’t happen until May 23rd, as Allied fleets roamed the waters off of Italy (at least until they were sunk). Five days later after Sicily was finally within the warm bosom of Romania, I watched happily as the last of the Italian strongholds were taken by the British, and gleefully annexed the Italians. Whatever African colonies that were inherited were of no consequence, as there wont be an African campaign as long as Russia exists.

assault04.jpg

Now, while all this goodness was going on, I fully expected that Germany would have at least marched on Amsterdam or something, but they had just sat there looking pretty. To make matters worse, about half their army was either in Poland or meandering between the Western and Eastern fronts. If the Allies were adventurous, I would have of expected them to be on the road to Berlin before the Germans would be able to mount a credible defense.

In order to jumpstart things, on June 15th forty divisions were sent screaming into Southern France. I wasn’t expecting to make any substantial gains, but was hoping at least to stretch the French forces, allowing the Germans to exploit the gap.

assault05.jpg

Now, while my forces were engaging the French, what did the Germans do?

Nothing.

The Germans just sat there.

Oh sure, they were all over me to accept the Soviet ultimatum of Bessarabia, but they just sat there and did nothing while I was doing all the hard work.

assault06.jpg

Because of this inaction (flaw in mod?), I decided to take charge of all troops (which was doable given that my IC was higher at this point). I debated just allowing Germany to take care of its own affairs, but I knew what the outcome of that would be – the Allies would just sit there, tying up German forces for a few years until the Soviets declared war and then Germany would be squashed. Romania as well. Which would be a bad thing.

overall.jpg

After a massive strategic deployment of German troops from the East, everything was set and in place for a July 25th kick off of the French campaign.

assault07.jpg

Last edited:
Undead-Hippie said:
Great job against the allies, it seems all the Germans ever do is sit on their butts until they declare war on the low countries.

They just sat there AFTER the low countries were declared on. That was the problem. And, given that their forces were scattered all over the map, it was a big problem.

So, now you're commanding the Wehrmacht... why the IA is so lazy sometimes? Come on, fella, there's a war!

Edzako said:
maybe you could activate AI event that orders them to prepare and launch Fall Gelb, but this is ok too.

Kurt_Steiner said:
So, now you're commanding the Wehrmacht... why the IA is so lazy sometimes? Come on, fella, there's a war!

I think its a flaw in the mod's design (which is great otherwise). Germany should be committing ALL of their troops to the Western Front and not splitting them for no damn reason at all.

I'll take command for the duration of the activity in the west, and then see how the Germans have armed themselves. Somewhere north of 225 divisions are really needed to have a fighting chance against the Russians (not counting any allies), given that at least 25 divisions are needed for western coastal defense. This leads, of course, to a second flaw in that the German AI tends to heavily defend the coastline (at least from what I saw in a previous game with this mod), using 50 divisions to secure against any amphibious assault and leaving their eastern front seriously undermanned.

Probably needs to have less emphasis on using quality troops along the coast, and more emphasis on garrisons and coastal defenses, but that is a modding problem and something that I have no idea about.

I dont think that my taking control of the German forces is that gamey, as it does play into the AAR in terms of what Tukhachevsky has accomplished at this point, but we will see what happens... :p

Nice big update! :D

Glad to see you got the Allies off of your land.

Nice to see a massive pincer offensive in France for once.

There will be one more gameplay update, possibly tomorrow, which should cover the events up to the start of Barbarossa, and then this AAR will switch back to the story elements, catching up with Tukhachevsky and how he went from just arriving in Bucharest in 1934 with a bride to be to being named Supreme Commander of Troops and architect of the Western Campaign.

Many, many plot elements and observations to be explained... :p

Crush3r said:
Nice to see a massive pincer offensive in France for once.
Yeah,you rarely see it these days since Italy just doesn't do anything until after France has fallen... aside from beat up Ethiopia, that is.

Maj. von Mauser said:
Nice big update! :D
Glad to see you got the Allies off of your land.

Thanks.

Nice superstack of Wehrmacht troops on the Belgian border! Have fun with a Schliefen Plan redux! ;)

Vive (l'Europe sans) la France
July 25 1940 to February 8 1942

Over 160 divisions poised to strike at the Allies on the morning of July 25th (of course, 40 of those were already busy at work in the south of France). The assault plan would be a traditional one – overwhelm the Low Countries via a drive through Belgium to the coast and then swing to Paris. Meanwhile, the Romanian forces, backed up by a handful of Slovakian divisions, would drive towards Vichy and the Spanish border. The French cant be everywhere at once, and they would have to stretch their forcers the length and breadth of France, from the English Channel all the way down to the Pyrenees. At this point, the static forces along the Maginot Line and Luxembourg would strike and gradually force their way through the gaps that had been created.

france126.jpg

france132.jpg

The plan worked to perfection, and on August 13th, a lucky day as it turned out, Paris fell.

france135.jpg

Shortly there after, the French government fled to exile and the puppet government of Vicky was created. Ironically, Italy held out longer than the French did, which is a staggering condemnation.

But the fighting was not quite done, as a bit of housecleaning still had to be done. On August 24th, Germany declared on Denmark and annexed them five days later. On September 7th, Romania declared on Switzerland and annexed them ten days later. Why declare on Switzerland, you ask? Well… why not? 

france140.jpg

As the last bit of business on the "to do" list, Vichy was re-declared on by Romania (dissent hit) on October 12th, in order to gain the last few provinces not under the glorious colors of the Reich or the Republic. This triggered the left-wing radical government of Republican Spain to declare for the Allies, which was considerate of them and all, given that I was about to march troops down there anyways. Have to admire the Spanish for deciding to throw their lot in with the side that was still smarting from the lessons they were taught in France, but perhaps they were hoping that the British would land 60 divisions onto Spanish soil and help them out. Or that the hills and mountains of the Iberian peninsula would somehow defeat the tanks. Not sure which, or whether it was just a spur of the moment decision (or one caused by Romania’s massive belligerence), but irregardless of it all, on November 1st, 60 divisions of ARM, MECH or MOT (along with some infantry to hold the coastal regions) sat waiting to cross into Spain.

france141.jpg

While the “cleanup” was happening, by the way, the long coast of France was garrisoned with 1 division of infantry in each region, backed with a mobile reactionary force of 3 combined arms (MECH/MOT). Typically the Germans liked garrisoning the coasts with 2 divisions (usually 1 INF and 1 ARM/MECH), which is an asinine waste, especially since the Germans are short some 75 divisions or so in comparison to the Russian juggernaut (according to my 6 spies, the Russians had 189 divisions, which means that they had upwards of 300 at least).

Because of the terrain, I expected a winter campaign only, which would help train up the armored divisions quite nicely. Taking care of the Iberian region was also critical to ensure that no back-door surprises hit later on, ala Spain declaring for the Allies while the forces of the Reich and the Republic are sitting in the Urals, allowing a few dozen Allied divisions to drive up the coast from Barcelona into the heart of the empire. Because of this fear, the fascist government of Portugal was also driven out, with a declaration on the 16th of December and a quick drive along the coast doing the trick.

france145.jpg

There were whispers of Salazar, the Portuguese head of state and Foreign Minister, meeting with Allied representatives in the Azores, and that was more than enough to provide the excuse to invade.

On January 27th 1941, the Spanish made their last stand in Seville, with Field Marshal Menant bravely commanding his men, but the die was cast. Experienced tanks backed up by experienced leaders are really no match for raw recruits (especially when the former has a 4:1 ratio over the latter), and on January 30th, Spain capitulated.

france164.jpg

That left only Gibraltor. This, of course, was the crowning jewel, and the assault on The Rock (but without Sean Connery, who was still a baby at this point) began on the 1st of February and was all over a week later.

france166.jpg

With Gibraltar secure, the Western Campaign was complete, and Imperiul României Mari stretched from the Pillars of Hercules all the way to the Caucasus.

france168.jpg

After garrisoning the Spanish coasts (again with 1 INF along with a reactionary force), and making sure Gibraltar would never fall (3 INF, 2 GAR, buildup of the Land Fort as well as the Coastal Fort to 10), the victorious divisions were shuttled back towards the Eastern Front in preparation for Barbarossa. For his outstanding leadership, Tukhachevsky was awarded the Knight’s Cross with Golden Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds by the Reich Chancellor, the second highest military award available. The highest, of course, was the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross which Göring awarded himself for “the most outstanding strategic decisions that affected the course of the war” in regards to his command of the Luftwaffe during the Western Campaigns. In reality, while the Luftwaffe did serve with distinction, the decision to award Göring was made to ensure that a German held the highest Reich military honor, and not a Romanian. There was also the Star of the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross, but that was to be awarded only at the conclusion of the war, which was still a tad of a ways off.

france176.jpg

On May 3rd, Michael visited Rome and in an elaborate ceremony, was crowned Imperator by Pope Pius XII, who gave papal blessing to the glorious Imperiul României Mari.

france177.jpg

There was talk around the water coolers of kicking off Barbarossa on June 22nd, and plans were put in motion, but Tukhachevsky thought it best to wait on the decision. The arguments for attacking immediately were compelling – mostly settling on the fact that every day they wait is another Russian division to conquer, but it was successfully put forward that the troops deserved a break after their glorious victories in the west. With time to kill, the Reich Chancellor paid an official visit to Constantinople on August 3rd to witness for himself the rebirth of one of the great cities of ancient Christendom, and came away impressed with what he saw.

france178.jpg

As summer morphed into fall and then into winter, word came that the Japanese had launched an attack on the Americans at Pearl Harbor (November 11th), and then attacked British and Dutch possessions in Asia (November 13th). The American response was to join the Allied cause on the 19th, which meant that American bombers would soon be joining their British counterparts in their daily bombing runs of the German occupied lands (to be honest, the daily bombing was more of a nuisance than anything at this point).

On November 4th, in his weekly radio address, Michael for the first time warned the people of the Republic about the evils of communism, calling it an “abomination which must be cleansed from the face of the earth,” that the coming conflict with the Soviets was an inevitable one between the forces of good and those of evil. The initial Soviet response was a muted one, but three months later, on February 8th, Stalin made clear his reaction by declaring war.

The real conflict that would decide the fate of Europe was about to begin.

france179.jpg

Last edited: