• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Crush3r said:
What happened then was: Germany+Poland were at war with everyone, Soviets conquered them, Romania at war with Hungary, Austria, Italy and the Allies and anyone else in the Balkans that it later wants to, Romania conquers Austria, Hungary, Italy, sets up mountain border with France, betrays Turkey, the Middle Eastern countries, China, Japan, invades France, then America, then DoWs the Soviets by pocketing them in Asia and the Balkans, then it stops (dunno, crash, lack of interest, game speed, whatever). But I'd like to see what you can do.

Heh... it didnt work out that way... :p

Details will be forthcoming in the next gameplay update, but suffice to say that WWII started a few years early... ;)

And, to the shock of all concerned, Italy acquainted themselves well and managed to emerge as the true powerhouse of the region.

Just kidding... :rolleyes:

Note: As mentioned previously, this AAR breaks down into two distinct sections – a game play section, where the workings of the game are detailed, and the character driven story of the life and times of Mikhail Nikolayevich Tukhachevsky. In the front page, the posts will be listed in their relevant sections.

The character driven story sections will vary between 500 and 1000 words, depending on the time I have that day.

Mistress Fortuna

How has it come to this.

Many nights I have pondered at what point Mistress Fortuna abandoned me. At what point she decided that I, her most ardent follower, was to be placed upon the rocks of fate and left to bleach in the sun.

Hell, indeed, hath no fury like a woman scorned, especially one as powerful as Fortuna.

When I was younger, I did not believe in the fates at all. Such fanciful or theoretical notions were always best left to lovers of opera or the theater. To me, what was real was what I could hold in my hand. The soil from my family’s estate, the touch of a loved one or even the cold but welcoming caresses of a weapon – this was what was real to me. Man made his own fortune – that was the credo to which I subscribed to. There was no such thing as luck, nor did I believe in coincidence. The notion that everything happened for a reason, that there was some higher power involved shaping one's destiny, steadfastly applying their deity-like powers to the rudder of one’s life, guiding their ship past the shoals and into the open water if one was good, or onto the rocks to crash and burn if not - those notions were ludicrous.

My career was what I made for myself. Others could delude themselves that they were self-made men, but the reality was that most owed their existence to some patron or another. When they spoke, the words that came out of their mouths were hollow, without conviction, as they were merely puppets who regurgitated what was commanded of them by their benefactors. This is why I was never afraid of Stalin and could look him in the eye and challenge him – we recognized a familiar in each other's eyes. A man who was his own master and not afraid to let others become aware of the steel within.

Even when I was dismissed from my post by Stalin - of all people - and my ideas ridiculed, I knew that eventually I would be proven correct. The opposition came from weak men who were too accustomed to the familiar of the past, and thus afraid to embrace the bosom of the future. Eventually the truths that I advocated would be like water wearing down the stone that was their timidity.

The fates? Mistress Fortuna? Nonsense – all of it.

And then I met Ileana.

Ileana.jpg

The clichés fall like the rains of the spring, of how the self-made man, the master of his house, a self-contained island whose inner confidence easily provided shelter from the turbulent seas that threatened to engulf him, all humbled by the love of a woman.

Meeting Ileana changed my attitude about luck or fates or coincidences.

And indeed, she changed my destiny.

Last edited:
If this isn't a historical character, change Ileana to Elena, Ileana is too peasantish and unstylish for such an AAR. Also not fit for the (known/public) lover of a great figure.

dag231 said:
*cough*

You might say she was historical ... ;)

*cough*

[spoiler - for those not willing to wait for the next installment, check out the hyperlink above]

*rant* Ok, I always said Ileana was a bat choice for the royal family and should have used Elena, but I guess they wanted to do a publicity stunt for the peasantry that revolted during 1907 to show traditional Romanian roots. Either that, or they didn't have any inspiration. (It's like Prince Dick, not a really royal name) *rant off* :rolleyes:

Well, good luck to you! :p

So she hasn't been married to Archduke Anton yet?

I followed all of the AAR on Guderian and can't wait to see what you can doo with Tukhachevsky.

Arn't Tukachevsky's stats inferior to Antonescu?

Anyways, nice update there.

It's good to see you take up the AAR pen again, so to speak.

Here I join, filled with sheer curiosity.

The Balkan Powderkeg
October 13 1934 to February 10 1935

romania01.jpg

romania02.jpg

October 14, 1934 – declaration of war on Bulgaria (see character section for rationale). Not really expecting too many difficulties, as they only have a handful of troops and its mostly just an exercise in patience and terrain.

romania03.jpg

As expected, Bulgaria was not that hard to swallow up, falling on December 13. The toughest thing was terrain, of course, as they had maybe 6 divisions in the whole country to slaughter. Nobody came to Bulgaria’s aid, which is not that surprising.

After the formal surrender, it was a matter of hiking all the troops up to the Hungarian border. Now that the boys were bloodied and leaders with some seasoning under their belts, a quick and easy campaign against the Hungarians was expected.

With a fair amount of the initial upgrades and replacements out of the way, and dissent within reason, a run of INF + art can be contemplated. Will be very painful to upgrade them later, but the need for warm bodies outweighs future considerations.

On December 29th, Poland guarantees our independence. A nice little gesture and knowing that the Polish Army has my back makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. They join Italy and the League of Nations who are protecting me from… not really sure. The Soviets?

December 30 – the Romanian, Greek, Turkish, Yugoslavian agreement. Very nice to have this in my pocket and ensures that I can leave those borders reasonably undefended for the next little while.

romania04.jpg

February 5th, 1935 – UK and France guarantee our independence. They also have guaranteed the independence of Hungary.

February 10th – declaration of war on Hungary (see character section for rationale)

romania05.jpg

Now the fun starts.

Code:
Note: UK or France in a DOW action automatically assumes all Allies

February 11, 1935 : Romania declared war upon Hungary.
February 12, 1935 : Austria declared war upon Romania.
February 13, 1935 : Turkey declared war upon Austria.
February 13, 1935 : Greece declared war upon Austria.
February 14, 1935 : France declared war upon Turkey.
February 14, 1935 : Germany declared war upon Greece.
February 14, 1935 : Hungary declared war upon Greece.
February 14, 1935 : Yugoslavia declared war upon United Kingdom.
February 16, 1935 : Turkey declared war upon Germany.
February 16, 1935 : Poland declared war upon Austria.
February 16, 1935 : Yugoslavia declared war upon Germany.
February 17, 1935 : United Kingdom declared war upon Hungary.
February 17, 1935 : Austria declared war upon United Kingdom.
February 18, 1935 : Greece declared war upon United Kingdom.
February 18, 1935 : Hungary declared war upon Turkey.
February 22, 1935 : Yugoslavia declared war upon Hungary.
February 23, 1935 : Italy declared war upon Yugoslavia.
February 23, 1935 : Hungary declared war upon Poland.
February 24, 1935 : Germany declared war upon Hungary.
March 8, 1935 : Austria declared war upon Yugoslavia.
April 15, 1935 : Italy declared war upon Turkey.
April 16, 1935 : Italy declared war upon Austria.
April 18, 1935 : Germany declared war upon Italy.

In a nutshell, the Yugoslavian/Romanian/Turkish/Greek declaration bit the three minors in the ass, as all three of them get to face the Allies, and only Greece is spared the ferocious might of Italy. Romania is spared because it only declared war on Hungary, and the Allies didnt think that was a good enough reason to go to war. Austrian sovereignty, however, is a different story.

Being at war with Hungary and Austria is extremely manageable, and I dont expect a lot of interference from Yugoslavia in Hungary, given that Italy and the Allies will be pressing them, or Italy in terms of Austria, as the Alps are a lot harder to conquer than the Yugoslavian coast. My only concern would be getting my piece of the Balkan pie before Yugoslavia/Greece/Turkey is swallowed by France/Italy/UK.

Note: In the original posting, Germany declared war on the Allies, which I called "the most asinine thing I have ever seen", given that Germany had 13 divisions staggered up against an enemy with 130 or more. I played it out, and Belgium conquered Berlin by mid 1935. Obviously, that would have broken the game completely, and is completely illogical - no way in hell that Germany would have declared war. I replayed the scenario from the February 10th point, doing the exact same thing that I did and came up with almost an identical set of DOWs, minus the German insanity (and the subsequent DOW by the Allies on Romania which cascaded into an Italian DOW on the Allies and Italy following close behind Germany in being destroyed). Rather than scrap the AAR in mid 1935 (as without Germany or Italy there is no WWII), I decided to use the set of DOWs that leaves Germany intact.

Last edited:
I do love the Balkan war cascade.

:confused:

All that baffled me.

The whole world DOWed itself?

I'd re-start.

Either you have a persistent typo there at the outset, or you're just too used to playing Germany (you started the game by declaring war on Belgium?). Ah, the traditional BCF...

Vann

Vann the Red said:
Either you have a persistent typo there at the outset, or you're just too used to playing Germany (you started the game by declaring war on Belgium?). Ah, the traditional BCF...

Vann

LOL

You are right... should be Bulgaria and not Belgium... :rofl:

Fixed.