• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Didn't Russia historically competed with quite a few other colonial powers over the control of the Liaodong peninsular and Manchuria in general? In any case it was part of the contention points between the Russians and Japanese that led to the disastrous war in 1905.

I say, take it and extend the Trans-Siberian straight from Moscow to Port Arthur! You know Mother Russia wants it!

RGB : Well, just as Britain used India as a raw materials gathering spot, shipping them to the Isles for treatment, so shall Russia use her newly acquired lands. I do not plan on industrializing the areas or even promoting Russian migration there. Current projects are Russian/Ukrainian migrations to the Caucasus and the Steppes. The latter is actually a bit cheaty, as I edited the Semey RGO from cattle to gold to boost immigration rates >.>

Herbert West : There shall be geopolitical plotting and the fate of many shall yet again be decided in the lavish palaces of great capitals, while nobody shall bother asking Asian peasants about their view on matters at hand. *nodnod* Just as Part 1 was all about warfare and no politics, so shall Part 2 be completely opposite.

germanpeon : More or less. Turkestani peasants still have about 4-5 MIL rating and during the Chinese war, I had revolts. Just not as often as before. The Tatars are still quite unruly, though. They really want to cast the ballots :eek:o

Irenicus : So it was in real life. But my game being unhistorical in its very essence, the Rules of the Game are different. ;)

D'Artagnan59 : Made ‘em myself. I found the blank maps available on the VickyWiki to be too pixellised for my schematic maps and just did a global map myself. More or less. It’s not finished yet.

Last edited:
Mishgan said:
germanpeon : More or less. Turkestani peasants still have about 4-5 MIL rating and during the Chinese war, I had revolts. Just not as often as before. The Tatars are still quite unruly, though. They really want to cast the ballots
You think some missionary work might be in order? It would be a win-win outcome, if successful.

Yay! More than 5'000 views o/

germanpeon : Hm. Might be. Won’t work much on the Tatars, as those who want to convert to Orthodoxy do so anyway (like my ancestors did). But the two Turkestans and the Steppes might be a good field to experiment.

Pablo Sanchez : Well, yes, after a good night sleep, my appetite awakened and I shall theft even more Chinese pixels. But you shall see whenever I update! :)

Just for comedy relief, I have annexed China to see what it gives. Here are the stats for the potential Russo-Mongol Empire. EDIT: do note that I am not going to really annex China in the "real" game. I was simply curious.

ComedyRussiaStats.png
ComedyRussiaStats2.png

Exports and income would jump even higher if I carried on into the game and expaned RGOs. But I can't be bothered, as my BB is so high that if it was a ladder, I could be the first man on Mars.

Last edited:
That's hilarious.

By the way, where are all those Catholics coming from?

Heck, I say go for it. :)

*Steals idea*

RGB said:
By the way, where are all those Catholics coming from?

Poles and Lithuanians are the only ones I can think of... unless I've missed something? :confused:

As a general response, I wish to specify that I am not going to annex China in the “real” game. I simply clicked the “Annex” button to see what it would give, played a week or two for production to kick in and took the screenshots.

robou : Well, I try to keep this AAR as serious as possible, all while filling it with sarcasm and irony. Maybe I’ll have the time to do a fully comic and non-serious AAR before army service starts in October, but we'll see.

RGB : There are apparently many protestants and catholics in China.

RossN : Welcome aboard! And what idea is it that you’re stealing? o_O

Last edited:
RusCoa_Trans.gif

The Revenge of the Bear

Chapter 12 : I Am Hungry, Nothing Personal (Part 2)

What started as a war for cotton ended up as the most important Russian success ever. In a little more than two years, six hundred million people came under the military administration of the Russian Empire. Endless territories with countless resources that were there to be pillaged and looted… that is, gathered and refined were within the iron grasp of the Russian Bear. The success was of such importance that Skobelev and Dragomirov attained hero status amongst the Army and the people, ranking in popularity only below the Emperor himself.

Emperor Guāngxù and Empress Dowager Cixi (who actually was the real ruler of China) were captured by Russian soldiers on the isle of Formosa. They were shipped back to Pekin, under Russian occupied, and held in the Outer Court of the Forbidden City. There they waited until the arrival of Alexander, before being led into the Inner Court by Mikhail Dragomirov and Mikhail Skobelev, with Russian soldiers in Siberian and Turkestani uniforms lining both sides of the pathway leading through the Gate of Supreme Harmony and into the Hall of the same name.

And as the former rulers of China were led up the pathway, the Russian soldiers exclaimed in thundering “Hurray!” They repeated it over and over again, each time louder than the previous. And as Guāngxù and Cixi were led up the stairs into the Hall of Supreme Harmony, they saw Leib-Guards from various regiments standing on guard. It was a hint as to what was awaiting them inside.

And inside they saw an aging Alexander II of all the Russias, dressed into a Russian military uniform, sitting upon the Imperial throne of China. The message was clear. Russia was taking China over. All of it. And just as the British ruled over India, so would Russians rule over China. And not only. In a matter of weeks Dragomirov was leading his men into Korea as separately General Gurko disembarked on the Ryukyu islands, annexing them in the name of the Emperor of all the Russias.

RussiaChinaHuge.png

Map of the Russian Empire after the annexation of China, Korea and Ryukyu. Alaska not featured.

Such a tremendous geopolitical shift did not go unseen amongst the Great Powers. Germany, France, Britain and Japan, angered and jealous at the Russian success, suddenly stood up as “guarantors of China’s independence and integrity” and demanded that Russia reconsider her actions or face war. Unfortunately, with a great chunk of the Imperial Army stuck all over China, the prospects of war with four major industrialized nations was not a pleasant one. Russia agreed to enter into negotiations and to agree to an independent China. The four powers offered Russia to come to a congress in Tokyo, but Russia flatly refused and offered the venue of San-Francisco, in friendly United States. The United States of America and the four powers accepted.

420px-China_imperialism_cartoon.jpg

The Congress of San-Francisco, as depicted in a left-wing French newspaper

Negotiations would last for days as Russia camped on her positions while Germany, France, Japan and Britain pushed for more and more Russian concessions. Russia demanded all of northern China, all of Korea, the Ryukyu islands, the isle of Formosa, the isle of Hainan and nearby shore territories. Such a format would give Russia great strategic leverage in the entire region, from the possibility of multi-front onslaught against China to pretty much controlling all of the western Pacific from naval bases.Quite obviously, this was not acceptable to the three western powers and Japan.

ChinaPartitionsRussiaPlan.png

Russian demands as outlined during the Congress of San-Francisco. The advantage that such territories would give to Russia were unacceptable to her rivals.

Instead, the four powers issued counter demands which amounted to pretty much scavenging on the carcass of the Chinese Empire. The British and French spoke of the need to “guarantee the continued security and independence of China by containing the possibility of any future Russian aggression against China through a continued presence of European contingents on Chinese soil”. The Japanese envoys only nodded along and spoke how a Japanese “security mission” to South Korea, Formosa and Okinawa would bring greater prosperity, harmony and peace to the Pacific.

The United States President Arthur even face palmed during the interventions of the Japanese envoy and whispered to his Secretary of State: “I feel like being in a bad circus with four clowns jumping around a sleeping bear.” But as the United States were acting simply as hosts and arbitrators, Arthur’s comments were not made public.

But eventually, the five countries reached a solution that equally dissatisfied everyone. Russia would get her northern China, but only northern and eastern Korea. She would not get Formosa, and only the northern half of Hainan, but would still get the coastal territories north of Hainan that she wanted. Japan would take over southern Korea, the Ryukyu islands and Formosa. The British would take over large swathes of territory adjacent to Hong Kong, as well as see their lease to the New Territories transformed into a deed perpetual ownership. France would take over southern Hainan, as well as expand the northern borders of her Indochina colony further north. Germany got nothing in China, but Britain ceded some Oceanic isles to her in sign of gratitude for the Kaiser’s continued support.

ChinaPartitionsFinal.png

The final outcome of the San-Francisco Congress saw China being considerably reduced in size.

The results of the Congress were ambiguous for Russia. Whilst she was clearly the winner and got the most gains, she also saw her initial plans of outright annexing all of China trashed by meddling Europeans and Japanese. Britain, Japan and France saw their territories increased without firing a shot, so it was also a huge coup and a great deal for them.

And as the delegations boarded their ships to sail back home, Russian soldiers were leaving southern China and Korea to concentrate on quelling uprisings within territories given to Russia by the negotiations. And rebellions there were, as the Mongols, Manchu, Uighurs and Han clearly did not understand the extreme advantage of being exploited by the Imperial Crown of Russia.

But regardless of the uprisings and rebellions, huge quantities of resources began to flow into the industrial heartlands of the Empire, fuelling continued industry expansion and growth and propelling Russian economy forward. The new Chinese territories were provisionally organized as “External Holdings of the Empire”, under Imperial authority, but not part of the Empire proper (except for the Tuvin-inhabited areas, that were annexed to the Irkutsk governorate). Several General-Governorates under military administration were established: East Turkestan, Mongolia, Manchuria, Central China, Southern China, Korea.

TasteTheRainbow-1.png

Taste the Rainbow: the borders of the Russian Empire after the Congress of San-Francisco. Alaska not featured.

Last edited:
A good proper messy compromise.

IMO, one of the greatest successes in human military history. And sincerely, I love your neat wording and syntetic history-book style. A wonderful read! :)

not the greatest peace you could have hoped for, but you got what you 'primarily' came for, ie. cotton

I suspect the stomach of the bear rumbles after this. Do I foresee an at least colonial war with the Great Powers? Would be cool to see how the Bear handles against the Eagles and the Lion (Germany, France, England, respectavely).

Besides, whats your BB, coming that you annexed Korea?

Also, what is the US going to do? Strange they did not bite out a chunk of China.

stnylan : Yep yep! Tried to make it messy :)

Hastu Neon : Thank you for the compliments!

robou : Well, Russia went out for cotton and got cotton, coal, timber, grain, tropical wood, dye… yeah. I find it a good peace. I wanted to make a sort of an Asian Berlin Conference that did not happen in my game when Russia trashed Turkey. And just as the westerners scavenged there on the back of a Russian victory in real life, so did they scavenge here in my alternative history :)

D'Artagnan59 : Indeed.

Herbert West : Rumbles? I am recruiting a dozen more divisions to the Imperial Army just to keep up with all the revolts! :wacko:

Uhm. BB... well, I did cheat a bit there. I did not annex Korea, actually. I just overran the Peninsula, took the lands that are now seen on the map as Russian and then simply wrote an inherit event for Japan to get Korea (what's left of it) and Ryukyu. Yes, I did not invade Ryukyu. I saw it as a pointless waste of gametime >.> I also did not click the "annex" button in case of China. I neville-peacetreatied the provinces to me, then wrote an event for China to cede the other territories to the other countries. That way I get the revolts I need for atmospheric setting and, well, to slow me down in terms of expansionism.

On US in China, well Russia and the United States are friends. If you were Chester A. Arthur, would you ruin your friendship with the world's leading power for the non-guaranteed friendship with a bunch of bickering states?

Besides… thereistotallynosecretagreementonthefateofCanada. I didn’t say anything.

Last edited: