• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really like this combo too :). The journals are a nice addition to your original way. I don't like the chapters be just with them, but this combo is really nice.
And really great to read the interview!

Wow this has to be one of the best AARs i've read in a bit.
I'm going to keep reading this. Keep up the good work!

stnylan said:
One gets the disinct impression that all that has gone before has been warm-up. We know approach the main event.

You would be correct :) . The Czar has been busy dealing with the pesky Georgians. Now that he's taught them a lesson, the full might of Moscow is going to descend on the north...

Mike von Bek said:
Im a bit worried about how the dutch will handle the Russian winter - Novgorod has already fallen, so not only do the Dutch have to take that back, they have to hurt the Muscovites enough to force a peace. No easy task

Luck and determination will win the day. And lots of blood.

Fijj said:
They don't. :mad:
I want to play with this save now. Only me as Russia.

Also, good combo effect, thats a good update. :)

Except for Novgorod, the Muscovites have done quite well. They stretch all the way to the Urals, and have thoroughly crushed the steppe khanates. They've even gained ports on the Black Sea from Georgia, nothing to complain about. They're just going to have to accept that the Baltic will stay in Swedish hands :D . However, if you're that upset about the Russians, I doubt you'll like the outcome of the next update.

Monnikje said:
I really like this combo too :). The journals are a nice addition to your original way. I don't like the chapters be just with them, but this combo is really nice.
And really great to read the interview!

Thanks, I'm starting to get the hang of keeping a balance between the two. I probably won't continue the journal sections past this chapter though. I just wanted to include them because my mercenary army had such an adventure, and there were a few developments that I thought could be explained better from a personal perspective rather than a grand view. However, I'm going to try and use this style for my next AAR, whenever I get around to that. I've already picked out a name and historical event - "The Blood Red <REMOVED>" :p

Griffin.Gen said:
Wow this has to be one of the best AARs i've read in a bit.
I'm going to keep reading this. Keep up the good work!

swippy said:
Truly great AAR! just spent 1.5 hour reading it :)

Glad you enjoyed it!

And now for an update, and then I go to bed...

Last edited:
Chapter 26 – The Novgorod War (1590-1592)

“Invincible”

timeoftroubleszo0.png

The White Army

In March representatives of King Christian managed to convince the Bohemian Assembly to support his war efforts against Muscovy, despite protests from the Catholic majority. An army of 17,000 troops was sent north along the Teutonic Road, to meet with the King’s armies in Estland. Christian, emboldened by the Bohemian agreement, began to plan the retaking of Novgorod. With his northern frontier secured by the Dutch Army of the Baltic, his forces drove the Muscovites from Lithuania and Karelia, while Russian-held Novgorod was besieged. The Bohemian Army arrived in late June, joining with the King and his Swedish spearhead as it marched towards Novgorod.

Just outside of Pskov, Christian’s army ran headlong into the advancing White Army. Czar Simon had spent the spring assembling a vast force of 35,000 troops, composed of 7,000 Don Cossacks and 28,000 Russian levies. Christian commanded only 4,000 cavalry and 19 infantry regiments, and was unprepared to face such a horde. Christian hastily moved his troops into defensive positions on the shores of Lake Peipus, anchoring his left flank on a small fortified farmstead. The Bohemian infantry, composing the bulk of his forces, were arrayed along a low stone wall, while the far right flank was held by his Swedish cavalry. There was no time to erect cavalry obstacles, so parts of the facing fields were set alight to obscure the enemy’s vision.

dhm173ru3.jpg

Bohemian skirmishers at Pskov

The Muscovites assaulted across the entire line, with their pikes arranged in double depth in an attempt to overwhelm the Bohemian infantry. The Cossacks attempted to break the Swedes on the far right flank, charging their positions repeatedly throughout the morning. Both sides suffered heavy casualties in the close combat fighting. However, as the day wore on, rumors began to spread among the Russian forces that the Cossacks were deserting, causing their morale to plummet. Sensing a change in the tide of battle, Christian ordered his infantry to counterattack, driving back the Russian spearmen. As the soldiers in the front line began to fall back in panic, the units behind them wavered and broke, until a full scale retreat spread across the Muscovite lines. The levies ran from the field with stories of “invincible” Bohemians and Swedish witchcraft. One Ukrainian nobleman claimed that the ground opened up and poured out the ghosts of Teutonic Knights, which slaughtered his men before him.

thirtywareu6.gif

King Christian II celebrates victory at Pskov

The Battle of Pskov resulted in over 9,000 dead on either side, but the outnumbered Bohemians and Swedes managed to hold the field. However, while the White Army withdrew back to Pskov, elsewhere the Muscovite offensive continued. The Swedes were forced back out of Lithuania, and their settlements in Estland and Ingria were threatened with attack. While Novgorod was retaken in August, but only Christian’s battered army stood between it and the Russian Bear. Meanwhile, in the north the Dutch general Gaspar Schouten began to concoct a plan to land an unexpected blow against the Czar.

Excerpt from Journal of Andrés Munoz de Huelva, Captain-Major in the Army of the Baltic

May 20

With our losses last week, we’ve merged with that Mayenne cur Hardouin’s regiment. At least since I’m the senior surviving officer in Tosetti’s old unit, I’ve become Hardouin’s Adjutant and promoted to Captain-Major. I hate the illegitimate son of a French sow with a passion, but he kept a cool head during the worst of the fight, and we’re all alone out here with nary a sign of reinforcement.

As a newly minted senior officer, I had the “pleasure” of sitting in on General Schouten’s staff meeting. He’s hatched some daft scheme out of that egg head of his, and thinks he can deal a major blow to the Rus. Seems that while he was working for Swieten, he heard that the British negotiated a trade deal with the Czar, and that their ships travel in and out of a port called Archangel to the North. He thinks we can march up there and burn the town, and it would stop the flow of English gold to Moscow. I think he’s a loon – only six men in ten are left from when we left Turku, and I doubt even that many are in shape to march deeper into these benighted woods! But he was adamant, and feckless Hardouin agreed with him, so tomorrow we head north. Damn them both up and down.

June 18

Miracle of miracles, we’ve arrived! Finally no more marching across endless swamp! At least its warmed up, but now all manner of biting flies swarm about. And somehow, the sun never sets in the sky! Round and round it goes, enough to drive a man mad. The sooner this campaign is over, the sooner I can leave this terrible land.

We’ve established our base at a town called Severodvinsk, a few miles upstream of Archangel. The whole town is made of wood, so when we threatened to burn it the craven peasants let us in. Amazingly, just as Schouten said there was a company of Englishmen that greeted us. Schouten had a meeting with them, and afterwards they seemed riled by whatever he told them. Despite the tiny size of this hamlet, there’s a great big pier on the shore, enough for five or six caravels, at least.

An even greater blessing, shortly after we arrived some Dutch ships sailed up! They said they were part of a blockade that’s been up here for over a year, keeping the Muscovite fleet from coming downstream. They’ve been hunting seals and whales, and have plenty of provisions for us. One of the captains claimed that the whole sea froze over during the winter, and their ships were locked in the ice. I can scarcely believe that it could ever be cold enough for such a thing, even this far north.

We’ve scouted the Russian positions to the south of us. Unlike Severodvinsk, Archangel has stone towers in its walls, although most of the town is still wood. However, there’s a great stone monastery on an island in the center of the river, which the townsfolk have turned into a fortress. Guarding it is the Muscovite fleet – two big caravels, and some smaller ships, which they’ve anchored in the river. We’ve only got five thousand men, not nearly enough to force such a position. We will have to wait them out, although Schouten keeps worrying about the coming winter. In the meantime, we’ve begun building cabins out of the logs that keep drifting downstream. The river’s choked with them, apparently from logging camps upriver. Might as well make use of them.

800pxabrahamstorckwalviyf5.jpg

The Dutch Fleet in the White Sea, Winter 1590

Excerpt of letter from the Swedish Ambassador to the United Provinces, His Excellency Anton Severinson, to King Christian II Brahe

August 10

Your Highness,

In light of your glorious victory over the Russians at Pskov, the States-General have offered our Kingdom a two-year loan of 350,000 gulden, at an extremely generous rate of 4.0%. Pending your approval, I will accept this offer, as our war fund has withered to nothing. I await your instructions.

One Ukrainian nobleman claimed that the ground opened up and poured out the ghosts of Teutonic Knights, which slaughtered his men before him.

:rofl:

A great description of the battle!

And the way you told of the army moving north to Archangelsk by using the journal of the spanish mercenary was briliant!

Truly this is one of the best AARs I've read!

One Ukrainian nobleman claimed that the ground opened up and poured out the ghosts of Teutonic Knights, which slaughtered his men before him.
Guy should lay off the LSD. :p

Excellent writing FYROM!

Ah, brave Bohemians, that's something new :D Good luck against the bear though, Russians with all that manpower and vast territories are an extremelly dangerous opponent.

The problem with Russia is you just finish mangling one army, and another two pop up in its place. Equal casualties is not good - a war of attrition one cannot win. And Archangel strikes me as a bad place for a siege.

That said the money will come in useful.

I have been folowing this AAR from the start. I want to congratulate you on great game and fantastic writing style. I was at first cautious about "letters from the front" as I normaly prefer a hystory book approach but now I can say that they are a worthy addition to this AAR. Good luck United Kingdom.

Congrats FYROM!

As an expert, professional roleplayer, I am truely astounded by your work.

Keep it up ;D

Some gameplay notes:

Since the Muscovites don't have Novgorod, they opened a trade center in Archangelsk back around 1500, so I figured taking it would be a good addition to my warscore. Looking up info on it online, I found out that during the 16th Century it was the main port for the English Muscovy Company , a precursor to the later East Indies Companies. Interesting stuff! Plus they had a great name: "Mystery and Company of Merchant Adventurers for the Discovery of Regions, Dominions, Islands, and Places unknown"

Also, Gaspar Schouten isn't actually an idiot, de Heulva just thinks he is. He's a terrible +1 shock general, about the best the Netherlands could come up with (the Stadtholder is an Admin candidate with MIL 3 :p ). But he's an expert on the Baltic and Russia, so he knows the land and the people.

Should have another update up soon, to put an end to this chapter. I grow tired of the 16th Century - driver, full speed ahead to the future!

Ladislav said:
FYROM i want to congratulate you on your use of paintings. they are simply superb!

I've just been getting them off of Wikipedia and Google Search. Wikipedia has a pretty impressive assortment of 17th-19th Century historical paintings in their deeper libraries. Always better to have a picture to illustrate a point.

stnylan said:
The problem with Russia is you just finish mangling one army, and another two pop up in its place. Equal casualties is not good - a war of attrition one cannot win. And Archangel strikes me as a bad place for a siege.

That said the money will come in useful.

I've run into that again and again during this campaign. I looked over in October, and was "Hey, the Bohemians finally decided to show up! Oh look, who's that they're figh-OH NO." Honestly thought the Czar was going to kick our asses back to Stockholm, since Sweden only had 30% war capacity and my manpower was down to ~4k. Still don't know how those Bohemians managed to win not once but twice.

comagoosie said:
:rofl:

very typical for Russians to blame defeat on ghosts :D

Nice battle discription I liked it!

Since the Battle of Pskov was actually fought on the shores of Lake Peipus, I figure some Teutonic Knights from the Battle on the Ice would show up to stick it to the sons of Alexander Nevsky :D . Although Nevsky was awesome...now I feel sorry for the Muscovites :(

Chapter 26 – The Novgorod War (1590-1592)

Moscow in Winter

Despite the setback at Pskov and the loss of Novgorod, Czar Simon was still determined to defeat the Swedes. Throughout August and September his Cossacks drove the scattered Swedish armies out of Lithuania and Estland and back into Finland. Christian pulled back his Bohemian army to fortify Novgorod, while the Muscovites prepared for another offensive.

Fortunately, the situation in the west began to improve, as Swedish forces captured the island of Fyn and the Jylland peninsula. The Dutch blockade strangled the Norwegian fishing industry, leading to unrest and popular revolts against the Danish king. King Christian IV was forced to divert troops to deal with insurrection at Trondheim and Hammerfest. With his army finally rebuilt after months of inactivity, Stadtholder van Swieten was free to march against Oslo.

battleofkholmaj0.jpg

The White Army at Kholm

In October the White Army launched a new offensive against Novgorod, sending 25,000 troops against the 13,000 Bohemians and Swedes defending the city. However, King Christian had spent the fall preparing for the inevitable Russian attack. Instead of defending Novgorod itself, he encamped his army several dozen miles south in Kholm, on the Novgorod-Smolensk road. Dug in behind impressive fieldworks and supported by a battery of culverins, his army was well prepared for the approaching Muscovites. As an early snow began to fall on All Hallow’s Eve, the Muscovites attacked the Bohemian positions. However, the Bohemian reputation after the Battle of Pskov caused low morale amongst many of the Russian troops. They were even further demoralized by the Swedish chant of “Med Guds hjälp vilja vi strida!” (With God’s help, we want to fight!) before the battle. The dispirited Muscovites eventually fell back from the withering barrage of the Swedish cannons, leaving six thousand dead on the field. The Bohemians and Swedes lost five thousand, but they kept the Russians from Novgorod once again.

With support at home waning and his ally defeated once again, in November Christian of Denmark was forced to surrender to the Stadtholder. The Varberg Agreement ceded Halland and Skåne to Sweden, as well as the important fortress of Kärnen on the northern shore of the Øresund. The Danes no longer had sole control of the Baltic’s entrance, ending their hundred year old Sound Toll.

danishsurrendersu0.jpg

With Denmark out of the war, Stadtholder van Swieten was free to send his Army of Flanders to Finland to assist the beleaguered Swedes. He hoped to link up with Schouten’s Army of the Baltic, which had been sent ahead months ago, and use the combined force to drive the Cossacks out of Estland. On arrival at Viborg, however, he was met with disturbing news.

Report from Colonel Hjalmer van Hoensbroeck to Stadtholder Constantijn van Swieten, Commander - Army of Flanders

November 12

Sir, I am sorry to report that we’ve found no sign of General Schouten or his men. The last report we have from the Swedish government is that they left Viborg on April 1 to relieve the garrison at Olonets, but they have sent no word since. Scouts reported in June that the fort had been burnt to the ground, and there were signs of a large battle fought in the area. We must assume the worst and write off the army as a loss. With winter approaching quickly, even if there are any survivors to the north, they will be unable to reach us until the spring.​

burningarchangelpc2.jpg

Battle of Archangelsk

Excerpt from Journal of Andrés Munoz de Huelva, Captain-Major in the Army of the Baltic

August 1

Schouten has become impatient with the siege, and has concocted a plan he claims will lead to a quick victory. Hardouin and the other colonels have agreed to the scheme, so we shall see. Over the past week he’s marched us around the Archangel to a point upriver, and had us pulling lumber out of the river as well as chopping down trees. There’s all manner of mills and camps scattered in the woods, and he’s sent out parties to gather up pitch and tar from them. He’s got groups lashing together rafts of logs, and piling up pitch-soaked tinder on them. His plan is to set the rafts ablaze and let them float downstream towards Archangel. With luck they’ll force the Muscovite ships to set sail or risk burning, right into the waiting fleet offshore. Then our ships will be free to sail up river and help us storm the walls. I’ve never heard such a ridiculous plan, but at least I’m not the one building the rafts.

August 5

Mary and Joseph, I can’t believe it worked. God must have granted that madman Schouten a flash of brilliance, because only divine intervention could lead that imbecile to success.

We released our rafts in the evening as planned, but most failed to make it around the river bend and washed up on shore. Only five made it around and floated towards the town, and I was sure the whole affair was over. However, by some miracle two of them collided with a wharf and ignited the structure. The blaze spread through the warehouses, where they hit the naval stores that had been building up since the blockade began. The barrels of pitch exploded, engulfing the riverfront in a terrifying inferno. The Muscovite captains must have thought that we were already within the walls, because they started firing into the town! That just started more fires, until they were forced to cut anchor or have their rigging burn. There must have been a terrible battle when they reached the river’s mouth, since we could hear cannon fire until noon the next day. Messengers from Severodvinsk said that the Engel and Vrede were sunk, but the Muscovite fleet was annihilated.

My only regret is that yet again, I’ve missed the chance to loot. First Copenhagen, and now this! With all that timber, the town will burn for weeks on end, ruining anything of value. There better be a fine bounty coming from the Stadtholder when all this is over! Schouten’s already planning his next move…hopefully God will grant us a blessing once more, perhaps of the more lucrative sort.

August 7

I renounce my words – Schouten is still insane. He thinks that our band of 6,000 men can make our way behind the armies of the Czars and take Moscow itself! I have half a mind to abandon my commission on the spot, but here in the middle of nowhere, where would I go? The only major town in 500 miles just burned to the ground before my very eyes! He’s gotten the regimental commanders to agree to the plan, and the captain of the blockade fleet is giving us his long boats to sail up the river. Schouten claims that if we can reach the headwaters before the river freezes, it will be a short march to the Volga and Moscow. God have mercy on us.

October 19

I have to hand it to Schouten, the man is a Dutch Machiavelli. Two months we’ve been sailing and marching through the heart of Russia, with no sign of the enemy. And today, as we finally reach Tver on the Volga, we come across an entire Muscovite artillery train, just sitting out in the open! We marched up within shouting distance before the Rus figured out we weren’t friends. A convoy of 200 guns, and only a hundred men-at-arms to guard it! We slaughtered the lot of them and commandeered their horses and wagons. Truly a great day, although I wish we could have brought the cannon with us. Noone has any idea how to use them, though, so we went ahead and spiked them. The first snows have begun to fall, but with our new rides we should make good time to Moscow. Maybe this plan will work after all!​

Report from Colonel Hjalmer van Hoensbroeck to Stadtholder Constantijn van Swieten, Commander - Army of Flanders

November 1

Sir, I don’t know whether to believe this, but you must hear the news. We’ve received word that Schouten’s army is marching on Moscow! The White Sea squadron arrived a few weeks ago in Amsterdam, claiming that Schouten managed to burn down Archangelsk and is heading towards Moscow. Our spies within Russia have also reported rumors of a ghost army attacking settlements and garrisons throughout the north. With the new opening presented by the victory at Kholm, I suggest that we attempt to send a cavalry expedition through the lines to link up with Schouten, if he’s indeed alive. At the very least, they can help disrupt the enemy’s rear as they retreat to Smolensk.​

moscowfi1.jpg

The Army of the Baltic reached Moscow on January 14, after traveling almost 900 miles from Archangelsk. Along the way they managed to destroy settlements along the Dvina and Volga Rivers, disrupt the movement of reinforcements towards Finland, and capture an artillery train of 200 guns coming from the Yaroslavl’ Armory. Despite early snowfalls, they were helped by an unusually mild winter, which prevented the Dvina and Volga from fully freezing. While the 6,000 men were not enough to besiege the capital, they were able to disrupt traffic into and out of the city. The arrival of cavalry reinforcements in late January allowed them to establish a more successful blockade of the city.

800pxivantheterribleandlk0.jpg

Czar Simon III negotiates peace with General Gaspar Schouten

By February Czar Simon had lost the last of his allies, seen his northern trade center destroyed and his capital threatened. What had started as a crusade to liberate Novgorod was steadily becoming a Swedish-Dutch invasion. Therefore, he was willing to accept peace negotiations with General Gaspar Schouten in Moscow, ceding Livland to Sweden and abandoning claims to Karelia and Novgorod. The Army of the Baltic was formally disbanded, having served its purpose.

moscowsurrendersqs7.jpg

Next – Parlimentary Procedure, and a Dutch MacArthur

Brilliant!!!

That Schouten fellow sure is witty. :D

To march to Moscow from Archangelsk! Who would have thought!!!

So with the Army of the Baltic disbanded, will this be the end of the journal of de Huelva?