• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am not Anglophone, despite being born in an Anglophone country. I am more of a Russo-francophone.

As such, I have absolutely no idea what that Tax thinger was called when wealthy people paid and in return had the right to elect and be elected. :confused:

RusCoa_Trans.gif

The Revenge of the Bear

Chapter 11 : I Am Hungry, Nothing Personal (Part 1)

Russian industry grew relentlessly, its appetites growing bigger and bigger every passing month. As a bear cub, the Empire swallowed and ate all it could find, consuming astronomic amounts of raw materials to produce highly valued industrial goods. One of the sectors in rapid expansion was the textiles industry, with large fabric factories to be found in the Kingdom of Poland and the governorate of Minsk.

RussianTextiles.png

Poland and White Russia were the Empire’s primary producers of textiles

The production of fabric required massive amounts of cotton, something the Empire was not self-sufficient in. In fact, most of Russia’s cotton was imported from the British Empire, namely India, as they were the leading producers of this rather precious raw material. For without cotton there was no fabric, and without fabric there were no clothes, no uniforms, nothing. One can understand that for a northern, cold country like Russia, the textiles industry was of strategic importance. And dependency on the British was quite irritating for the Emperor and his most trusted advisors, who sought ways to correct the situation.

CottonTarget.png

East Turkestan, under Chinese control, had vast cotton plantations

And the situation could only be addressed through expansion, namely into China where East Turkestan was famous for its cotton plantations. Russia was hungry, China had the misfortune of bordering on Russia, having cotton and being weak. The upcoming war was nothing personal. The Empire was simply starving, she had to feed.

And so, as began the year 1882, so did another war begin as the Russian Empire went to war with the Chinese Empire. There was no exquisite and high flown formulation of a casus belli. Petersburg’s intentions were blunt and straightforward: land and resources.

The war would be led by the “two Mikhails”, namely Generals Skobelev and Dragomirov, in their respective positions as General-Governors of Turkestan and the Far East. All in all, with Skobelev’s Turkestani Military District and Dragomirov’s Siberian Military District, plus divisions redeployed to the Russian east for the occasion, the forces committed against China would comprise sixty five regular infantry divisions, backed up by ten cavalry divisions. This was out of the total of one hundred and sixty three Russian regular divisions, supplemented by the capacity to call up another one hundred reserve divisions in case of need.

ChinaStage1.png

Dragomirov’s assault into Mongolia and Manchuria was an astounding success

The invasion began in Mongolia and Manchuria, with Dragomirov’s forces quickly crushing important Chinese forces in Manchuria and dispersing the under strength “divisions” in Mongolia (Russian armies would never encounter more than a battalion worth of Chinese soldiers in Mongolia at any given time). However, an audacious formation of Chinese soldiers, numbering twenty thousand men, managed to pierce into Russian territory and even occupy a large number of disparate hamlets and villages along the border, before being completely routed and butchered by four Russian cavalry divisions dispatched to the rescue.

Skobelev’s offensive into Kashgar and East Turkestan was held up by a localized uprising of uzbek aristocrats and landlords in Bukhara, as well as the uighurs of Kashgar dispatching messengers to the Russians offering full surrender in return for mercy.

ChinaStage2.png

Dragomirov wasted no time by taking Pekin…

Whilst Skobelev was held up in Turkestan, awaiting instructions on what to do with the mysteriously tame and obeying uighurs of Kashgar from the Imperial Senate, Dragomirov did not waste a single week and even day and steamrolled Chinese forces all the way to Pekin, entering it on August the 5th, 1882. The capital of the Chinese Empire had fallen, yet the Emperor managed to flee.

ChinaStage4.png

…whilst Skobelev crossed Kashgar and captured East Turkestan, pushing further into Inner Mongolia

Skobelev, on his end, finally crossed Kashgar and entered East Turkestan, capturing city after town and, willing not to fall too far behind Dragomirov, pushed into Inner Mongolia, as well as southern China, following the border with Tibet, also nominally under Chinese authority, but left out of Russian plans. Petersburg did not wish to poke the British lion by suddenly popping Russian soldiers on India’s border. Their time would come, for now Russia had China to concentrate on.

Despite the rather rapid advance of Russian armies, the utter lack of infrastructure in China, rough mountain terrain and continued local partisan groups slowed Russian divisions considerably. Dragomirov and Skobelev’s men did not properly meet before summer of the year 1883, at which point it was already clear that Russia won the war and would henceforth press on to get as much land as possible to, in the end, be able to issue very hungry demands to the Chinese.

RusSoldInChina.png

Dragomirov’s Siberian and Skobelev’s Turkestani soldiers after meeting up in China

The two Generals decided to allow their troops some well earned rest and paused for several months, allowing supplies and reinforcements to arrive. Finally, however, Dragomirov was forced to lead a portion of his men north, as Chinese partisans and rebels began to pose a problem to disparate Russian garrisons. Skobelev, in the meantime, inherited an important number of Siberian divisions, which he grouped with his Turkestani for a new wave against China, pushing further south. Despite being victorious and successful, the offensive was slowed down due to difficult terrain and absence of proper roads.

FallOfChina.png

Skobelev’s offensive signed China’s death warrant

With his armies completely, utterly and undoubtedly victorious, Alexander began to ponder on the demands he would issue to the Chinese. But it was clear that Russia would see her size increased dramatically as the result of the war, gaining access to very needed resources to feed her ever growing industrial hunger.

Last edited:
Annex would be bad. A large swathe of territory would be manageable. And it's not as if you can't declare war again in the future.

Ah beating on the Chinese. It seems your giving the East alot of attention recently. As far as cotton goes if the Brits haven't already taken it Sudan is brilliant, in my current game its putting out 25 units a day (in 1897).

Also has anyone opened up either of the Canals yet?

Take Manchuria, and all the coal and cotton and steel you can get with a coherent border. Oh, and of course, humiliate them, harshly.

As colonial war upon uncivs cost no BB if you do not annex outright, what about stabbing Korea a bit?

Oh, and this could and would seriously hurt your populational makeup? Thinking about restarting the russian migration to northern china?

First of all, a general reply. Here is the map representing the potential Russian borders after gobbling up northern China.

RussiaMap_China_Plans.png

I am not entirely sure about the purple territories. Whilst the two eastern provinces have coal, the rest has grain. Now, grain is also good, because then I can happily turn my national pops busy in grain farms into craftsmen and clerks and boost industry. So… I don’t know. I am tempted to take them.

Now, I believe I shall hereby steal the answering template in use with other writAARs, because I am an entirely unoriginal thief of all the bright ideas. *nodnod* So, here come the personalized replies.

Ahura Mazda : I do not plan on annexing all of China. As far as Xinjiang is concerned, I think there is a background event or something to trigger peace if it’s attacked. Does make sense for an AI Russia, but I do admit that I was not amused to see twenty five divisions going round the area to attack China >.>

stnylan : Quite true >.>

Mango Man : Well, Sudan is part of Egypt, which has civilized. But I might grab it once I am done with my plans in Asia. As far as the Suez is concerned, it is opened. I am not sure I did that, maybe Germany did (is the event prestige related?) Or, maybe I did but somehow didn’t really register it.

robou : Quite so. China is doomed. It might take me a bit to capture all the provinces, because movement is slow, but China is doomed. I am going to land divisions by sea in the south and on the islands. I WILL have the option to annex China. As such, if I can get it all, I deem that I can get half of it, as seen in my expansion plans.

Velendesril : The Russo-Mongol Empire, from the Pacific to the Atlantic o/ Nah, just kidding. Mother Russia is Mother Russia :) Also, welcome aboard Bear Airlines! Lifevest under your seat, the Holy Bible in the pocket of the seat in front of you!

Herbert West : Well… the above post is Hunger Part 1 for a reason >.> <.< And welcome aboard Bear Airlines!

asd21593 : China has a population of 650 million. If I swallow all that, I’ll just implode in a huge badaboom! O.O

Mishgan said:
As such, if I can get it all, I deem that I can get half of it, as seen in my expansion plans.

and all with no BB to your name.. :eek:

~Sniffs.~ How did I miss this? It's... it's so beautiful! Bozhemoi! May Holy Mother Russia ever expand! First we take China - then Afghanisatan - then: Britain! :D Anyways, this AAR deserves a stunning rendition of Bozhe, Czarya Khrani!

Bozhe Czarya khrani,
Sil'nyj, derzhavnyj,
Carstvuj na slavu, na slavu nam!

Bozhe Czarya khrani,
Sil'nyj, derzhavnyj,
Czarstvuj na slavu, na slavu nam!

Carstvuj na strah vragam,
Czar' pravoslavnyj!
Bozhe, Czarya, Czarya khrani!

Carstvuj na strah vragam,
Czar' pravoslavnyj!
Bozhe, Czarya, Czarya khrani!
Czarya khrani!

:D

robou : Uhm. Yes. Well… oooh! Look! Butterfly!

Lord Cowles : Wow! Thanks a lot for the emotional rendition of the anthem! But… your expansion plans… what am I to do with all the crumpets? :confused:

asd21593 : Okay! But only because you insist! >.>

Heh. China!

I like to take Mongolia (just because), Uighur and Illi (cotton) and Manchuria and Liaodong (coal and large populations).

Once you can turn it into a state it's going to be the third most important part of the Empire especially if you have a Full Citizenship party in power. Even without it, however, splitting up the Manchu/Chinese populations will lead them to leave for Ukraine, Siberia and Alaska (among other underpopulated places) eventually assimilating into "Russian".

Qinghai and Gansu, I don't always grab them. Makes me look ever so greedy, and of course if I grab Qinghai, the next logical step seems to be Tibet...

If I were you, i would also secure some ports along the Bay Of Bohai, or whatever that region is called. Adong is the name of the province, IIRC.

Also, expet your lumber production to jump heavily.

Will the area be administered as one general-governate, or will it be broken up into several smaller ones?

I eagerly await your next update, and the European reaction to your deeds. Britain in particular should be pretty pissed.

Excellent updates! Its good to see that some areas are beginning to calm down and accept the Empire.