• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1 of ?5? (Modern Era-Final Part)

Nika! The Rise Of Modern Greece

The Modern Era: Part One

rrd6.jpg

In 1896, Emperor Charles I died in his sleep, from natural causes. He would be remembered as the last emperor of Greece’s age of questing for power. The new emperor, Emperor George I was elected in the senate, and he would guide Greece through her days as a real world power. With a large treasury and army, happy and wealthy people, and colonies, Greece entered its age of peace.

Georgios_Theotokis.jpg

Around the world, China was the nation to suffer in the new century. Her lands were constantly taken away in short wars with Russia and Britain. She was turned into a rump of her former self and the most populous nation in the world was also one of the poorest and weakest.

ss30yh7.png

Emperor George I’s reign was characterized by peace and economic growth. He also formed a colony in Namibia in 1909. He lowered taxes and tariffs for the people. This caused a major decrease in the poor and a swell in the middle classes. The risky move at first was met with skepticism and a small economic decline, but after the short dip in funds, the Greek economy swelled to be the greatest in the Mediterranean world. Another of George I’s legacies was his improving of relations with other Great Powers.

But the most important event of the turn of the century was the start of the Russo-British War. In a conflict of Central Asia, Russia declared war on Britain in early 1907 once again and invaded India. The results were startling. The Russians had built many railroads and sped their troops across the land all the way to Afghanistan, were they would disembark and invade British India.

Hundreds of thousands of Russians overwhelmed the local troops, while the British government and the world were stunned. They had assumed Russia to be an outdated and crumbling empire. But by mid-1907, the Russian Army had conquered most of India and even reached as far as Bengal and the Indian Ocean. They were greeted as liberators by the Indian people. Also, Emperor George I was able to keep his nation out of the conflict, yet Greece was very happy to see their Orthodox friend overwhelm the world’s foremost superpower. But this “exciting new war” in India would grow into one of the deadliest conflicts of all time.

ss32bu3.png

Perhaps Greece has another chance to nip in and reap rich rewards. With a Coloney in Namibia, South Africa could be an option. But seeing that Emperor George is a nice peaceful man, i doubt it.. :(

just another small announcement....

This coming week will be filled with school and mock trial (yes...mock trial) duties. So this AAR wont be updated for awhile. Nevertheless, this AAR is nearly done, with The Modern Era chapter being the last. I dont know whether I'll continue it to HoI2DD, b/c in HoI, the game turned out VERY strange. So chances are, I'll add just an Epilogue later on. Also, my next AAR will either be a Scottish AAR or a New England AAR. Right now, its probably gonna be a New England one. Anyway, just wait out the coming week, 'cus there will probably be only 1 or 2 (at most) updates. Sorry in advance. Stay tuned! Thanks for the comments! 9,000 views!

Thanks a bunch, never thought my AAR would become this successful,
:) asd

asd21593 said:
just another small announcement....

This coming week will be filled with school and mock trial (yes...mock trial) duties. So this AAR wont be updated for awhile. Nevertheless, this AAR is nearly done, with The Modern Era chapter being the last. I dont know whether I'll continue it to HoI2DD, b/c in HoI, the game turned out VERY strange. So chances are, I'll add just an Epilogue later on. Also, my next AAR will either be a Scottish AAR or a New England AAR. Right now, its probably gonna be a New England one. Anyway, just wait out the coming week, 'cus there will probably be only 1 or 2 (at most) updates. Sorry in advance. Stay tuned! Thanks for the comments! 9,000 views!

Thanks a bunch, never thought my AAR would become this successful,

We will be waiting, this AAR is worth the wait!

Look at Russia go! :)

What an interesting conflict- the Great Game finally turned sour, I see...

I look forward to finding out who'll win it in the end!

In most of the Handsoff games I play , Russo-British Wars in the 20th century usually last up to 2 to 3 decades at a time , and in the end , Russia occupies all of British India , before losing it to Partisans and British Landings again , before reexpelling the British , etc . The Process keeps repeating itself again and again , not to mention that the princely states just sit there , somehow surviving and remaining British Satallites . (Yeah right , in reality, the Russians would have probably set up new pro-Russian Puppet states)

The war usually ends with an aggrevating CTD , somewhere in the 1920's ( I'm using a NTL patch) .

Becareful , it might just happen to you to - then again , I'm using 1.03.(I'm using the Typhoon Games distributed version of Victoria , so patching it is impossible AFAIK .

The Modern Era: Part Two

aw06080411.jpg

While the Russo-British War started off with a massive Russian advance into India, the British did fight back. The Russians went on to control all of India despite British opposition. Neither side could offer peace, as this war would decide which power would become number one in the world.

The fighting got especially brutal and nasty when Russian soldiers hit the jungles of Burma. That’s where the Russians encountered their first effective resistance. British soldiers and local rulers gathered a force of over 200,000 men. It was the Burmese border where the Russian advance was stopped.

However, it was also here where the bloodiest fighting took place. For 2 years, a deadly stalemate, similar to the Great Eastern War, broke out. Most troops died of disease in the bug-infested jungles of Burma. The conditions in the muddy trenches during monsoon season were especially deplorable.

However, within 2 years, the British had managed to break through the Russian lines and start advancing back into India. And even more British troops landed in Western India to help out. From 1909-1911, the British fought the Russians back. Cities like Delhi and Bombay were constantly sieged and re-sieged, until only ash remained. Thousands of civilians died, and soon the economy of India was so shattered that a famine broke out. With no food to feed troops or Indian civilians, the death toll further increased.

ss34dz3.png

But with hopes of food in Afghanistan on their minds, many Russians retreated there, while British soldiers followed furiously, also in pursuit of food. Finally, by late-1911, the Russians had been thrown out of Southern India. Only a few pockets of Russians remained, and they would all be killed.

ss37er8.png

With the British advancing further, as Russian troops were kicked out of Northern India, both sides agreed to come to the peace table in mid-1912. Peace was signed on June 2nd, 1912. The British agreed to cede Afghanistan and Northern Pakistan, while both sides agreed to pay reparations. The death toll from the entire Russo-British War is set at an appalling 5,000,000. It had not been the heroic war the world expected. Instead, only mud, death, and starvation marked its place in history.

German_dead_at_Verdun.jpg

Wow, quite a war!
Terrible toll, though. That must really damage Britain's economy, as well.

And we thought the Great Eastern War was bad... 5,000,000 people is a big price to pay for Afganistan!

Another short update on the AAR status. Just letting you guys know that, unusually, I actually won't be able to write an update this weekend and possibly only one next week. I have a distant family sweet sixteen to attend this weekend and this week will again include frantic mock trial (nerdyness) work.

Anyway this AAR is close to completion (within a few updates). It'll be done by the end of March (hopefully), and then I'll add an epilogue that covers the post-Vicky era. The next AAR is still a choice between New England or Scotland (again, probably NE...which do you guys want?). I was thinking the titles could be....

The Patriots: An Atlantic Republic* AAR
Celtic Frost**: A Scottish AAR....or....Freedom!!!***: A Scottish AAR

*NE with a backstory
**not a fan of the band, just a good title....
***braveheart reference

enjoy the weekend,

That was one truly colossal war.

The Modern Era: Part Three

streetscene.gif

While the war in India was raging on, the rest of the world was relatively quiet. Emperor George I was a peace-loving man and more interested in colonial expansion and economic prosperity than major wars against “civilized nations.” On April 2nd, 1912, the Greek nation bought a corner of Persia from the Shah for a sizable sum of money. This purchase only furthered Greece’s economy. The newly important resource of oil was now in Greece’s hands.

ss35wy0.png

But the port of Ahwaz was also used for more than oil. It was also used as a starting point for the invasion of Oman. In late 1913, General Athanasopoulos and about 12,000 men landed a Masqat and encountered an outdated force of 10,000 enemy soldiers. The guns of the Greek Army easily crushed the swords and spears of Oman.

ss36np3.png

With the defeat at Masqat, Oman had no more military to fight with; their entire army had been destroyed or captured on the shores of their old capital. By the end of 1913, the Greeks had declared the war over and annexed Oman. But the fighting did not stop for another year and a half, as guerrilla insurgents constantly fought against the Greek soldiers. Nevertheless, the annexation of Oman and the purchase of Ahwaz helped boost Greece’s reputation and power.

If there was one tragedy that happened in Greece in the 1910’s, it was the death of Emperor George I in 1916. The rather old man died peacefully in his sleep, proud of his many accomplishments. His 20-year reign was characterized by no major wars and economic prosperity. His reign of peace had brought Greece unprecedented prestige and power, and showed that Greece could be a peaceful nation. He was also the first Emperor to promote social freedom and gave many rights to women, Turks, and other “non-Greeks.” His reign also started a pattern of low taxes, low tariffs, and high social spending, which helped wipe out the poor class and make many citizens rich.

venizelos.gif

His successor was Eleftherios Venizelos. Eleftherios was a middle-aged general, whose primary goal was to modernize the Greek military. He was a man deeply interested in modern technology, such as airplanes, cars, tanks, radios, etc. And his goal was to make sure all Greeks could afford and have these luxuries. The rest of the decade went smoothly for the world. Little to nothing happened, and the world liked it that way. Peace at last reigned in Europe. Europe had to savor the peace of the 1910’s; they would not be repeated…