• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very interesting update, especially in regards to the reforms in Austria-Hungary. Have you considered creating a mod based on this AAR by any chance?

Kordo said:
Very interesting update, especially in regards to the reforms in Austria-Hungary. Have you considered creating a mod based on this AAR by any chance?
that would be awesome, I'd love to play it.

I do plan on releasing a mod based on this, but I've run into some bugs while modding it. But they can be fixed. Also, if anyone wants to help write events, step on up and PM me.

God Save Us All - Part Six
A Peace Resting on Quicksand

Chapter 44 – The Crisis of April & The Great Egyptian Rebellion of 1935

The 1930s dawned on Europe with a change of leadership in two of the most powerful countries on the Continent.

In a rebuilt and modernized St. Petersburg, longtime Tsar of Russia Nicolas II died of age and exhaustion in 1928 after years of strife within his nation. Taking over the throne was his son, Alexei. However, the young Alexei had suffered from Hemophilia since his childhood, and was forced to Abdicate in 1930. The next in line was a cousin of Nicolas, Grand Duke Cyril Vladimirovich. On December 20th, 1930, he was crowned Tsar Cyril I of Russia.

Four years later, in June 1934, the 78-year-old Emperor of France, Napoleon IV died in his sleep. Next in line to the throne, Victor Napoléon, had died in 1926, so the title of Emperor of the French was passed to the 20 year old Prince Louis Napoléon, who took the title of Napoleon VI. Although extremely young, the young Napoleon is sharp, exuberant, full of energy, and had been intrigued and involved in his uncle’s affairs since a young age. He is ready to be the head of a major world power.

newemperors.jpg

Europe's Two New Emperors. The Young, Energetic Louis Napoléon(left) and the Cold, Practical Cyril Vladimirovich(right).

The two new emperors immediately began to work more closely together than their predecessors ever had. In early 1935 the two leaders met in Brest to discuss the possibility of some sort of mutual defense and trade agreement. After a solid week of discussions between the two monarchs, they both signed the Franco-Russian Mutual Aid Pact. The pact stated that both nations would work together to ensure their mutual safety and economic prosperity. It was essentially a mutual defense act, forming the most powerful bloc in the world.

Immediately following this signing, the rest of Europe went on alert. Suddenly, Austria and Saxe-Bavaria’s biggest threat has gained the assistance of Imperial France and her innumerable resources. Great Britain felt the most heat following the virtual creation of an alliance between her two biggest rivals. Elements of the Royal Navy’s Far Eastern Fleet, including the ultra-modern HMS King George V*, were given orders to sail from Singapore to Alexandria. All of Europe was on edge.

After a series of heated telephone conversations between Napoleon VI and recently appointed British Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin, the French Emperor issued a statement on April 12th, 1935, assuring Europe that Imperial France and Russia had no intentions of hostility towards their European brethren, “We merely hope to aid each other in any way possible and show that friendship still has a place between the leaders of Europe.” After two weeks on the brink of war, Baldwin and Napoleon agreed to send their respective fleets back to port, after giving assurances of keeping the peace.

**(Note: With a long-lasting naval race between Britain and France, along with the fact that in ATL, there were no naval reduction treaties signed, I believe that the naval tech for this timeline would be about 5 or 6 years ahead of OTL)

Things did not get any better for the British following the Crisis of April, as it was called. Late in 1935, a rebellion broke out in British-controlled Egypt.

The Egyptians had long resented British rule over their country. Small riots and demonstrations against the Crown’s rule had been ongoing since the late 1880s. But nothing had ever been organized on the scale of the Great Egyptian Rebellion of 1935. It was in July of that year that Egyptian Nationalists, secretly aided by the Ottoman government, launched into full-scale revolt against the British government. British military installations, civilian facilities and personnel were all attacked.

Baldwin, not wanting to give up anything that might concede British control of the Suez Canal, quickly ordered whatever British army units he could to Alexandria, to quell the uprising as quickly as possible. Additional troops from India and England herself were also ordered to Egypt as quickly as possible.

The leader of the Egyptian rebellion was Saad Zaghlul, a fierce nationalist who had turned to the Ottoman Empire for help. The Ottomans, who still claimed sovereignty over Egypt, were more than willing to help. Through a series of secret trade routes, Ottoman small arms, machine guns, supplies and even some light artillery were delivered to the Egyptians to be used used against the British.

Saad_Zaghlul.jpg

Saad Zaghlul, Architect of the Great Egyptian Rebellion.

On August 2nd, 1935, an Ottoman agent was captured by the British army while trying to supply a small group of nationalists. Baldwin sent a message to the Ottoman Sultan, Abdülmecid II, demanding that Ottoman efforts to help the nationalists halt or else hostilities would commence. The Sultan, not wanting to seem weak and risk losing even more than the Ottomans have in the past 50 years, refuses to back down.

Britain declared war on August 11th, 1935.

To Be Continued…

Last edited:
What do you people think? I'm trying to move this along rather quickly, to get to the Great War.

Oh yes, it's been back for a few weeks now, my friend. :)

As you wish, sir. :D

I wonder who invents blitkrieg in this time line. Not the austrians I hope. Just because they invented the tank doesn't mean that they will keep their edge.

Have the brits give wants coming to those land stealing ottomans. Would there still be an armenian genocide despite they weren't in war?

Also, maybe greece, bulgaria, serbia, romania gets involved?

I've just read the whole story, and I can only say... if that's just the introduction, the in-game must be sensational!

wilegfass: I haven't quite figured out who invents the Blitzkrieg yet. We shall learn soon enough! And I'm not allowed by rule to mention any sort of Genocides or the like. But in reality, they probably do happen.

Kurt_Steiner: Wow! Thank you! I'm just finishing up the scenario so I can play this puppy when the time comes, and it'll be one hell of a game, I assure you.

God Save Us All - Part Six
A Peace Resting on Quicksand

Chapter 45 – The Suez War, Part 1

moonlight_230.jpg

The sun had set over Alexandria hours before on August 15th, 1935. The city’s lights illuminated the sky in a brilliant glow. The declaration of war had been announced 4 days earlier, but the Royal Navy had seen no reason to announce any blackouts for neither Fleet nor city. Little did they know what as lurking offshore.

The Hayreddin Barbarossa steamed slowly westward, all lights aboard her extinguished. Her captain gazed to port, eyes focused on the brilliant light that was Alexandria. The British Fleet lay at anchor in front of him. Seizing his binoculars, he peered into the harbor. Satisfied, he gave the order, “Aim guns.”

The electric motors of the battle cruiser’s turrets came to life, elevating the 11-inch guns to the gunner’s specifications. Inside, shirtless men dripping with sweat from the harsh Mediterranean sun loaded the massive cannons. Upon hearing that all was ready, the captain gave the order. “Fire.”

The French-built cruiser gave a thundering broadside, lobbing 10 shells in no particular direction, simply into the British Mediterranean Fleet. The captain, following orders, signaled for another broadside before giving the order to withdraw. The helmsman brought the ship hard to starboard, swinging her north away from Egypt.

Behind them, Alexandria was illuminated by something other than electric lights, Fire’s blazed in the city’s harbor. The Ottoman attack was not large enough to do any real damage, but it had managed to hit and moderately damage the HMS Agincourt, one of the Royal Navy’s more modern battlecruisers.

The suddenness and surprise of the attack coupled with the British underestimating of the Ottoman navy allowed the Hayreddin Barbarossa to escape without ever being sighted. The attack is a propaganda victory for the Ottomans. Although it failed to do much good militarily, it affects the moral of the British people, who thought that the Turks would have no chance in even touching the British Empire in a conflict.

Palestine – August 25th, 1935

Enver Pasha leans over a map of the Sinai Peninsula in his command post, the home of a local mayor taken over by the Ottoman government for the war effort. Carefully, he traces the route he intends to take into the barren desert in order to reach the Suez Canal. His superiors in Istanbul may think they know how to end this war quickly, he thinks to himself, but tearing a vital piece of Britain’s Imperial Empire from her clenched hands is a task more difficult that they think.

“Sir!” Shouts a messenger, a corporal, who enters the room he is in.

“Yes?” Enver questions, still fixed to the map.

“2nd Corps has just arrived from Damascus, sir. Complete with the artillery you asked for.”

“Good, good.” He muttered. And it was good. For the past two decades France and Prussia had been supplying the Ottoman Army with high quality artillery. The Krupp heavy artillery in particular was regarded as some of the best in the world. It would surely be an advantage to be had over whatever colonial units Britain could string together in Egypt.

Over and over he had reviewed his plan. Under his command were about 200,000 men, including some 4,000 Arab cavalry and 15 battalions of artillery. From the small town of Nizzana, he would take his men through the middle of the Peninsula. The British, he hoped, would be planning on any attack coming from the coastal route. He would then be able to attack the soft underbelly of the British defenses and capture the Suez Canal, forcing Stanley Baldwin to negotiate for peace. It was a solid plan, in principle. He was skeptical of the training of his men, however. He had taken part in the defense of Libya and had witnessed the poor training of his soldiers be overtaken by lesser numbers of better-trained Italians. For this offensive, the Chief of Staff in Istanbul called it Operation Viper, to succeed; he needed to rely on numbers, surprise and speed.

The Pasha sipped from his coffee, still staring at his map. Nodding to himself, he mutters something.

“They won’t see it coming.”

Alexandria – September 1st, 1935

palace.jpg

General Claude Auchinleck quickly threw on his tunic and trousers and quickly made his way out into the pre-dawn darkness to a waiting car. He had been woken up by his orderly with some grave news. According to reports from forward posts in the Sinai, the Turks had launched an attack into the peninsula at roughly 0430 AM. British troops in the area were very spread out and undermanned, and therefore forced to withdraw to better defensive positions.

Upon arriving at army command outside of Alexandria, the General is briefed on the situation. An Ottoman artillery barrage began at approximately 4 in the morning, blowing huge holes in the British lines, manned mainly by South African infantry. The Turks began advancing forward about an hour later. Arab Cavalry was slicing through the rear of the British lines, cutting lines of communication and causing havoc. British Intelligence had warned of the immediate threat of attack. The British were terribly undermanned in Egypt. What little troops they did have there were mostly assigned to dealing with the Egyptian nationalist revolt inside the country.

Properly informed of the situation, Auchinleck gives orders a fighting withdrawal to a line of defense anchored in the small town of Bi’r ar Rummanah, some 50 kilometers from the Canal.

“We shall sacrifice space for time.” He tells his staff, “and hope that the Desert is enough to slow down the Turks enough to allow for reinforcement from the Empire.”

To Be Continued…

Last edited:
Interresting indeed, wonder how things are in Asia, last time there were conflicts between Yuan Sikhai's governmnet and the japanese. I just wonder how the chinese situation is in this TL (no WW1 to distract Japan towards grabbing german colonies in the pacific, which I assume are brittish or french in this timeline, so Japan could have directed their expansion towards China). Also since the russian civil war as I understood never reached Siberia, the situation in Mongolia is very interresting (under chinese rule (warlord?, did the warlord era happen in this timeline?), or under Bogda Khan?)

The Brits seem to be in a quite distressing situation in Egypt... How ironic that two of the main enemy in 1870, Prussia and Austria, have France as their enemy...

yourworstnightm: That is a very good question. I'll try and answer Asia's questions after I deal with the Suez War. I've never thought about Mongolia. I'll have to figure that out. Nice to see you here again, by the way!

Kurt_Steiner: Yes, sir. But, France and Prussia might have been bitter enemies, but they've been moving towards friendship recently, if you recall, with Nappy IV's "Prussian Doctrine".

Keep up the comments. They make me feel good, and wanting to keep writing updates. :)

Inkana said:
Kurt_Steiner: Yes, sir. But, France and Prussia might have been bitter enemies, but they've been moving towards friendship recently, if you recall, with Nappy IV's "Prussian Doctrine".

But Wilhelm is wary of moving too close. Prideful people, those Germans, you said... Ok, but from that point of view to war there's a big step... well, time will tell.

Perhaps they could signal their friendship by returning the Saar?
And Rostock, and other lost territories...

Kurt_Steiner: Very true, very true. Prussia's a real wild card in European affairs these days.

ColossusCrusher: The Saar has now been French for some 65 years. The industrial might that France has gained from that region won't be returned soon. And Rostock is Swedish. Lost territories could play a vital role in things, though...;)

Everyone else: So yeah, that was my attempt at a narrative update. I promise you, I will get back to a history book/timeline approach in the next update. :)

I demand KleinDeutschland!!!!
Pretty please... :D