• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
first off, thanks for everyone who voted for my various AARs in the awards, i actually won as best new writer (for The Greek Empire (HoI2DD))

second, just wanna give everyone a heads up that the next update probably won't come for a while (loads of work to do), unless i can write it before the Super Bowl tomorrow, hopefully i'm exaggerating my work though.... :p

thanks for the comments/views/votes!
:) asd

Last edited:
Final Part Of Areopoli Section

Nika! The Rise Of Modern Greece

The Hungry Dog Returns: Part Five

Lignedefeu16August.jpg

The Battle Of Areopoli started on February 3, 1872. The British, on that fateful day, fought a very different kind of klepht. The klephtes of 1872 were modernized and organized. They actually formed a coherent fighting force. Commanded by the brilliant genius of Gregory Theotokis, they posed a serious threat to the heavily outnumbering British force.

Starting the battle with all the bombs and traps going off at once stalled and terrified every British troop. The massive line of British soldiers disembarking on the beach froze for minutes before moving on the beach. Not only did the bombs kill over a thousand British soldiers, but it psychologically and physically wounded even more. The reason why the bombs were so effective is because when the British landed, all the men were very close together and packed in. When the dynamite would explode it would send more then 10 men in the air and terrify the soldiers, who though that the area was abandoned.

Immediately after that strategy, the Greeks opened fire on the beach with their artillery and guns. Massive guns imported from Germany, mortal enemies of France, also helped rain down hell on the beach. From the ridges overlooking the beach, the Greeks were able to fire artillery for a fair amount of time before the British on the beach knew where it came from. Covered in camouflage, one could barely tell where the Greeks were.

But by the time the British stopped panicking on the beach and found the Greeks, it was much too late. They had lost thousands of men, once again from overcrowding the beach, and even more were wounded. British General Burlington decided to set up the artillery and fire on the Greeks, while light infantry men would climb up the hills to fight the Greeks face to face.

So as the massive artillery battle continued, the British troops moved up the rocky slopes. The Greeks also fired on those men as well, but they were heavily outnumbered. A barricade of wood, doors, wagons, anything anyone could find, was placed in front of the Greek militia. The evacuated population of Areopoli started to panic more and more as the British drew closer, and soon thousands of civilians were sprinting, in a horde, away from the British.

boer_war.jpg

This chaotic scene only caused more problems for both sides. The Greek klephtes could barely tell whether it was the women and children running away, or their own men. So the panic spread to the Greek army itself, and the klephtes began to retreat as well. Up into the mountains they went as the British men finally tasted victory. However the British could barely say they won the battle. They had taken 15,000 casualties while the Greeks took less than 100.

The British did however take the city of Areopoli, although it was abandoned. Nevertheless the key city allowed the British to rest. But the British were very angry. As they entered the city at last, a great fire broke out. No one can say for sure who started it, whether it was the Greek klephtes striking with one last trap, or whether it was angry British soldiers wanting to pillage the town. Whoever it was, the fire started and whipped through the town. The fire engulfed the entire city in the night and killed even more British soldiers. The formidable force of 100,000 British men was exhausted and ready to die only a day into their invasion of Mani.

Over the course of the year, the British occupied Areopoli, never moving an inch. As the trench filled stalemate in Anatolia continued, a stalemate developed in Mani. The common British soldier was now almost afraid of the vicious Greek klephtes. They had taken about 30,000 casualties in a week and now refused to strike at the Greeks.

Throughout 1872, the British rebuilt Areopoli themselves so they could have a city to stay in. The British military, running out of manpower, could afford no reinforcements for the British army in Mani. As the British made Areopoli their residence, the Greek klephtes continued to harass them. Supplies could only come by sea, as the British learned. Small groups of British soldiers sent to forage, never returned as the hidden Greek guerrillas in the mountains always attacked them. However, no major engagements took place throughout the year. The British had captured the abandoned Greek artillery after the Battle of Areopoli.

But in November of 1872, the Greek klephtes finally received more military supplies of artillery and explosives. In the middle of the month the Greeks developed a new strategy. They would plant bombs throughout the city and detonate them in the middle of the night. They did this as other Greeks moved their artillery pieces on the hills once again. In the middle of the night, as drunken British soldiers were going to sleep, a deep horn was sounded and dynamite exploded throughout the British camp, while artillery shells shattered the buildings. The British fleet resting in the harbor of Areopoli was also damaged. The docks were destroyed by explosions and many British transports were also ruined.

Within a couple of hours, the British men were retreating from the flaming city once and for all. But as they retreated to the docks, they found that they were destroyed. They were forced to climb over all the wreckage on the beach and board the depleted fleet. But a panic ensued as they realized that there were not enough transports for all the men. Fighting broke out within minutes as the British soldiers fought over transport ships. Under a rain of artillery shells and fire, the ships left the harbor while about 5,000 men were left behind, only to be consumed by the fire.

Areopoli was again in flames as the British soldiers watched from their ships. The terrifying brutality of 1872 in Mani, and the screaming of men burning alive caused embarrassment for both Britain and Greece. Britain had been crushed by an unorganized force of 5,000 bandits. Greece had fought dishonorably with all of their guerrilla attacks and bombings and they were depicted as barbaric. Nevertheless, it was the British who suffered the most. Over 50,000 men had been lost, and about 20,000 more were injured. When news reached Emperor Constantine, he was said to have cried out in joy, while Queen Victoria wept for hours. Returning home was an insane British army, scarred by all that took place on the charred fields of Mani.

180px-Aboukir.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Disturbing account...

That's one way of dealing with them. Uncivilised, sure, but who wants to play by the rules of the enemy?

Congratulations on the ACA win! Bring out the Champaigne!

gis said:
Nice! I found this recently, gonna fellow up! if its still alive... hopefully! anyway good luck!

if its still alive!, cmon, its been 2 days since the last update, of course this is alive! :rofl:

i like to consider myself one of the most stable AAR-updaters, other AARs (while better) often have weeks between updates

*i am writing the update now

asd21593 said:
cmon, its been 2 days since the last update, of course this is alive! :rofl:

Bah! :mad: It has been that long! :eek: That sucks! :wacko: I demand an update! :p :D :rofl:

Part 6 of ?(7 or 8)?

The Hungry Dog Returns: Part Six

800px-Shipka_field.jpg

The bloody trenches of the Great Eastern War were filled with even more bodies in 1873. The slaughter would continue into 1874. The soldiers in all nations were tired of the motionless fighting. It was either action or death in squalor for them. It was during this time that all the countries involved, Greece included, clamped down on civil rights. Free speech was removed along with a heavy censorship of the press.

Emperor Constantine especially made sure to tighten the leash on public information. Imperial officials would read each soldier letter and edit it. However, since reading thousands of letters a day was nearly impossible, many officials just destroyed the letters instead. The public knew little of the war. News stories were often made up to take away attention from the front.

Often times, government newspapers lied about the front, saying that the Greeks were gaining ground everyday. They never said how much, however. In reality, the Greeks could only gain inches a day, and that’s only because of their constant digging and expansion of trenches!

Constant offensives were set in motion throughout the war. And always they did little to change the front. And if one side gained much ground, the other would mindlessly throw more men at the front until the front was once again evened. No country had expected such an unconventional war like this. It was a massive drain on all economies. Devoted to the war effort, governments could only neglect social and industrial issues. Soldiers could only die in the freezing cold of winter.

The fate of empires hung in the balance in this war. The war would decide the fate of Greece and the Ottoman Empire. Failure for either country meant destruction. For the Great Powers involved, it was to decide their interests in the Mediterranean and between each other. France and Britain needed to check Russia’s ever-growing power. Greece needed to destroy Turkey once and for all to truly become a modern power, capable of controlling the Eastern Mediterranean with their will. But as the world entered 1875, the war would finally awake once more.

Hah, nice picture of Shipka there!

Is that an optimistic sign or am I just prone to wishful thinking?

asd21593: ...Soldiers could only die...

how is your manpower holding up ? ? :)

asd21593:
...But as the world entered 1875, the war would finally awake once more.

this doesn't sound good... :eek:

best of luck ! ! :)

awesome updates ! !
:cool:

asd21593, my friend this AAR is so awesome I could only naturally select it as the next AAR showcased :) Congratulations on the excellent work so far !

Heh! Hopefully that'd generate even more interest...

Congratulations!

Wow! Thanks a lot! I never thought this AAR would get all these honors and attention. Thanks a lot jeffg006.

In other news, I’m once again in a phase where I have tons of schoolwork. There may not be an update for a while, unless I can write one over the weekend. Though next week, (not this coming week) I will be off from school with winter recess. During that vacation, I’ll be able to update this AAR a lot!

Thanks again for all the commenting and awards/honors!

sorry its so late;;;thanks for the comments/awards/support

The Hungry Dog Returns: Part Seven

Naval%20Battle.jpg

The British had realized that they could not capture the mainland, so they turned to the weakly defended islands. They perceived the islanders as weaker and less likely to put up resistance. They thought they were different than the Maniotes. Admiral Davies was ordered to sail his fleet into Greek waters.

With the Greek fleet in the Adriatic, the British could gain ground if they captured key islands fast enough. But the British once again underestimated the Greek nation. The Greek fleet was able to get to the Aegean Sea within days, by the time news reached them. But one could also say that it was too late, as the British had already captured much of the Aegean islands.

Nevertheless, the Greeks raided the British fleet in Naxos harbor. The size of the Greek fleet was underestimated and they outnumbered the British 2 to 1. Trapped in a narrow port, the British fleet was decimated by the sheer number of vicious cannonballs flying across the water.

ss22sq9.png

By the time April 29th was over, the Aegean was once again in the hands of the Greeks. With no British fleet to help them, the British land troops were abandoned on the many islands across the Aegean. Numerous, yet heavily divided by the many islands, the British stood no chance. Hundreds of “miniature-Manis” broke out all across the Aegean. By the end of the summer, the British forces were once again either dead or captured. The Greek people had come through once again and helped their country. Militia men had picked apart the British force once again.

Elsewhere, on the Anatolian front, Greek generals decided to launch a massive offensive in the late winter of 1875. In mid-December, Greek soldiers left their trenches and charged in massive lines against the freezing Turks. Battle and death reigned across the front. A rare moment of peace came along with Christmas, when offensives were banned by the Greek Army, while the British and French warned the Ottomans to do the same. By the time 1876 was greeted into the world, the Greeks had gained more ground than they had in the entirety of the war. Nevertheless, 1876 would be the last year of the war. It would certainly be the most destructive and decisive year of the war, if not since Napoleon.

Looking forward to the conclusion of this thing...