• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
By the way, if anyone is joining us without having read the prequel, here is a synopsis of the social developments in Norway in the original timeline, which should give you an idea of the trap Geir is talking about and trying to avoid.

“Thus we believe that it was in November of 1128 that the Kingdoms of Prussia and Bohemia signed another treaty. You have already had too read the first one, the second one was much the same, though of course, Ludwig’s son and heir Wilhelm had already died, meaning the document now contained references to his Grandson, Vojtech. Key provinces were transferred here, as we begin to see a rise in the importance of contiguous territory. You must understand that before this, many realms and powerful Duchies held provinces all intertwined with one another. The German King in 1050 would have had to depend upon royal monasteries to travel from manor to manor during his iter. The two Kings who are rising in 1128 were trying hard to avoid placing themselves in the same situation. This is one of the first documents that survived indicating that connected territory is actually being taken into account.

Another unique aspect of this treaty is that it is our first proof that both the Kingdoms of Prussia and Bohemia have finally emerged. Our last set of documents we have from both of these realms indicated that they were still Duchies. And while Prussia still nominally holds the role of Arch-Marshal in the Holy Roman Empire, it is clear now that the discussion of this Empire as a political entity holds no value any more. Thus we can confirm our hypotheses from the beginning of the course; the granting of ancestral titles by the Ottonian kings ended up precipitating their downfall. For when their foreign wars and internal disputes became critical, they were not able to call upon the Saxon armies that had previously won them many a contest, instead they spread their base far and wide, to their detriment. Thus, when Bohemia declared itself independent and became a Kingdom, the Ottonians had no recourse to contest this move. When the Prussians soon followed suit, it became clear that Germany was no longer the Kingdom it once was.

Thus, next class we will study the fall of the Kingdom of Germany, beset on all sides by France, Bohemia, Prussia, the former Duchy of Carinthia, now known as the Crusader-state of Egypt. And in a few classes, as your syllabus indicates, we shall conclude with a discussion of the political and territorial inheritance of the Holy Roman Empire. Was it easier for the surviving Kingdoms, or more difficult? What remained of the old Imperial glory, was it lost forever? You shall see in the coming lectures.

Now, on to papers. We have been studying the Kingdom of Germany, as it was known then for the better part of a quarter. I want your final paper topics to reflect this study, the rise from the ashes of Charlemagne’s Empire to its decline with the grant of too much authority and privilege to its vassals. Use the readings, in particular some of the primary sources to prove to me that you understand the causes behind this decline. . .”

-Except from a lecture given by Professer T. F. Lille

-AAR reward desired: Field of the Cloth of Gold: Celle and Jacweisz to be given to Prussia, Galinda (with the Duchy, but not Sambia) and Ansbach to be given to Bohemia.

The story of Bohemia
(April 19, 1120- Nov 27, 1128)
Beginning Stats
Date: April 19, 1120
Leader: Bratislava Premyslid the Lucky (1058-?)
Titles: Duke of Bohemia, Silesia, Moravia, Franconia, Pomeralia, lesser Poland and Meissen, Count of Praha, and Pressburg
Vassals: 23
Income: 11.25
Manpower: 50690
Martial: 23
Diplomacy: 22
Intrigue: 18
Stewardship: 17
Laws: Semisalic Primogeniture, Traditional Custom, Ecclesial Balance

End Stats
Date: Nov 27, 1128
Leader: Bratislava Premyslid the Lucky (1058-?)
Titles: King of Bohemia and Poland, Duke of Esztorgomz, Count of Praha, and Pressburg
Vassals: 18
Income: 9.39
Manpower: 71775
Martial: 31
Diplomacy: 22
Intrigue: 18
Stewardship: 17
Laws: Semisalic Primogeniture, Royal Prerogative, Regal Supremacy

Treaties:
Pressburg Boarder Agreement Treaty (end date of April 19, 1250)
Ulmont is Guaranteeing my Independence
Boarder Agreement with Carillon

Goals:
1. Stay alive (yes)
2. Add Duke of Mazovia as vassal (yes)
3. Add Duke of Prussia as vassal (yes and no)
4. Add archbishopric of Greater Poland (no)
5. Fight war with Hungary and gain some land (yes)
6. Get duke of Saxony a king title (yes)
7. Make Bohemia and Poland king title (yes)
8. Have fun (yes)

Start map
april191120zi4.jpg

End map
nov271128er7.jpg

Well the first thing I did was wait so I could get the $$$ for a king title, but Egypt was kind and give me the cash I need to make the King of Bohemia. After I had made the king title Mazovia and Prussia asked to become me to become their overlord, which I agree to. After this Egypt again gave me money to make the Poland’s king title. After this had a little war with Hungary that saw me gain the land of Sopron, Nyitra, Gemer, and the Duchy of Nyitra. After this Saxony pledged so I could help him gain the king of Lithuania. The war with Lithuania pagans was a hard fought war, but in the end Prussia (which Saxony calls herself) and Bohemia won in the end. Bohemia was trying to stay out of any wars for some time, but with Germany being attacked from all side Bohemia gave in and trying to get some land from Germany. So far land that has been gain from Germany is Morava, but I hope to get Brandenburg and the Ducky of Lorraine. The funny thing is that the king of Germany right now is the grandson of my ruler and shares the same culture as him. The future king of Hungary is also part of the Bohemia culture group so hopeful this helps spread my culture out. I have a feeling that my king will die soon he is 70 years old, but I have some better heirs coming up. He has had 10 children so far and six are still alive. I will be trading the land of Celle and Jacweisz with kingdom of Prussia for Galinda with the Duchy and Ansbach. With the kingdom of Egypt Niedeybuyern will be traded for Sopron.

Arr reward half Field of the Cloth of Gold for the land trade with Prussia and the other half with the trade of Niedeybuyern and Sopron with Egypt.

Brittany - 1128

November 27, 1128. Kazr Brezhoneg.

Kazr Brezhoneg was the pride of the Breton realm. Taken from the Moors on the 4th of December, 1096, the castle sat upon the top of an imposing mountain. After climbing some 150 meters up the side of Mezanya Benacantil, any invader would have 20 more meters of sheer wall to scale, all the while being harried by cauldrons of boiling oil (or boiling lead) and arrow fire from the tops of the walls, which were thick enough for 5 men to walk abreast.

The interior of Kazr Brezhoneg did justice to the grandeur of the exterior. The halls were lovingly draped with the finest tapestries Mauretania could produce, the chairs, stairways, and sconces were made of the finest silver and gold decorated in the Breton knotwork fashion, and bonfires perpetually roared (except, of course, during the Breton summer, known for its ferocity).

Should neither the walls or the interior of Kazr Brezhoneg impress, a visitor could always take a very short ride to the bay and explore the market’s charms or engage in maritime pursuits. Nonetheless, King Phillipe was unhappy.

“What do you mean, the Arabs are revolting?” King Phillippe bellowed at his chancellor.

“Did we not send missionaries to their lands until they adopted the Catholic faith?”

“Did we not send aid to rebuild their lands after the Brezers de Reconquis?”

“Did we not confirm them in their titles, asking only conversion and obedience?”

“Now, they rebel?”

“We must crush them. Drive them into the sea, and let their women weep and rend their clothes as King David once did for Saul and Jonathan.” With that last, King Phillippe threw his goblet across the hall and into the wall, spraying dark wine across an artistic adaptation of the Battle of Cadiz.

“Your Highness, that may not be wise,” responded Chancellor Camila.

“Although the Arabs have become good Catholic Counts, it is true…if all of them erupt, we would be hard pressed to prosecute our differences with the Holy Roman Emperor.”

“And the lands of Vieux Brezhoneg cannot provide the troops to subdue even the revolts in Aquitaine and Gascony, let alone the whole of Iberia and Mauretania.”

“Rather, we should pursue a policy similar to that used by the father of the Prodigal Son; encourage the Prodigals to return to the fold, and then use their returned might against the remaining.”

“Perhaps you are correct,” muttered the King.

“However, let it be thus forward: I will break the spine of the Dukes of Brittany, and ensure no revolt can ever be as big again.”

“Let it be so.”

“Amen,” said the Chancellor.

From the Arab Revolts of the early 12th Century, Breton policy towards the nobility took a rather drastic turn. As did any other feudal empire, Brittany discovered that any centralization of the state required that the power of the nobility must be broken, or at least brought into harness.

Prior to the Arab Revolts, Brittany had adopted a rather laissez faire approach to nobility. Once a province had been handed to a courtier, the Dukes and Kings of Brittany traditionally took no notice of the area except at tax time and levy time.

After the Arab Revolts, Brittany began to aggressively reclaim duchies and counties, adopting an explicit – if unspoken to Counts and especially to Dukes - policy of single-county vassals. By the 15th century, Brittany was highly centralized by the standards of the day.

[AAR reward: remove typhoid from La Mancha.]

Treaty of Nürnberg

I, Agostino I Von Zahringen King of Italy and Egypt, Duke Carinthia, Aswan, Cairo, Damietta , Pisa, Lombardia, Sardinia, Verona, etc. and Defender of the Faith of Middle East. I wish to suggest a province exchange to Bretislav Premyslid, King of Bohemia and Poland, Franconia, Holstein, Lesser Poland, Meissen, Moravia, Silesia and Pomeralia, Margrave of the East, Defender of the Faith of East.

The provinces exchanged would be as follows. The province of Niederbayern to Bohemia. The province of Sopron to Italy.

I, Agostino I Von Zahringen King of Italy and Egypt, Duke Carinthia, Aswan, Cairo, Damietta , Pisa, Lombardia, Sardinia, Verona, etc. and Defender of the Faith of Middle East place my seal on to the treaty.

The Bagratuniad:

Aghmashenebeli:

Part 1 - Trouble in Byzantium

"I am offered the crown of a King, but I am not a King. A King is the master of a nation who bows his knee to no-one and no-thing. No, I am not a King. I am the servant of divine decree, the messenger of holy mystery. I am the Propheteocrat, and Princeps Senatus, the primus inter pares among you. My mission is to lead our land to complete our heaven-sent task, but I shall not pretend to be the owner of either land or mission." -excerpt from the coronation speech of Kvirike I

Kvirike Bagratuni, known as Kvirike IV of Kakheti and Kvirike I in the rest of his domain, received the sobriquet "Aghmashenebeli" - Georgian for "the Builder" [FN1]. And as much as Kvirike Bagratuni inflated his own achievements (mostly in an attempt to belittle Bagrat IV, his rival and the previous King of Georgia), no historian can say that he did not earn this title. During his reign he would transform the very concept of Georgian Kingship, and even the concept of what "Georgia" itself was.

Kvirike's first act would be to refuse to be crowned King of United Georgia, or to accept any of the traditional Byzantine gift-titles, particularly that of kuropalates, which had become the traditional courtesy title given out to the Bagratuni Kings. Refusing the first title was probably a sop to jealous rivals, whereas the refusal of the second was a clear rejection of any Byzantine influence over Georgia.

While it would take a decade for the faltering Byzantine Empire to organise their rebuttal to this insult, when it came the Byzantine-Abghazian war of 1087 would prove one of the most significant setbacks in Kvirike's reign, halting the westward expansion of the Georgians for over a generation. But however successful Romanos Diogenes was in what the Greeks would call "The Iberian War", it was, in truth, a limited victory, and was unable to halt the steady drift of Georgia from the Byzantine circle of influence.

One of the key reasons for this was the Chernigovian Alliance. This alliance with the Sviatoslavich Rurkids would be Kvirike's most consistent policy, and the second reason for Kvirike's exalted sobriquet.

To Be Continued

FN1: (OOC) a direct parallel to David the Builder, who ruled the real Georgia from 1089 to 1122, like David the Builder, Kvirike the Builder came to the throne under shady circumstances (though in David's case, they were to save the country from his foolish father Giorgi II, while in Kvirike's it was because he hated the incumbent), like David, Kvirike would reject Byzantine titles (and thereby reducing Byzantine influence on Georgia), like David, Kvirike would reform the Georgian church (though David's reforms were much simpler, being administrative improvements, as compared with Kvirike's construction of a state cult around his father), both men would maintain a tolerant policy towards other cultures and religions, and like David the Builder, Kvirike would defeat the Seljuks. What is most amusing about this, is I didn't plan any of it.

fasquardon

In the grand hall of the largest church in Muscovy, there was a great gathering of Russians nobles from all over the land where Dmitrii Rurikovich the Great held sway, there was a church choir singing a song that the now famous Aleksandr Rurikovich wrote himself "inspired by God in a dream", there is a wide pathway going straight across the hall with throngs of nobles on both sides. A Orthodox Patriach walks down or should I say up? the ail to where situated there is a throne surrounded by nobles of the highest of rank and station, Stephan Rurikovich Prince of Kiev, and the Lower Ukraine, Davyd Rurikovich Prince of Vladimir-Suzdal, Simeon Rurikovich Prince of Courland and Novgorod, Grigorii Rurikovich Prince of Novgorod-Seversk, Prince Aleksandr Rurikovich of Kyiv, Prince Steikint Rurikovich of Poltolsk, and finally Prince Sviatopolk Yaroslavich of the Sames. The Council of Seven, the Seven Greatest and most powerful of the House of Rurik and its affiliates headed by King of Rus Vladimir Rurikovich.

The Patriach, walking bent with age and wisdom granted to him by God walked down with dignity over to Vladimir of the House of Rurik, he stood there ar the feet of Vlad's rather modest throne and waited. Vladimir Rurikovich stood from his throne and recited the Nicean Creed:

"I Dmitrii Rurikovich, believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all æons, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father;

by whom all things were made;

who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, and was made man;

he was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered, and was buried, and the third day he rose again, according to the Scriptures, and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father;

from thence he shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead;

whose kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of life, who proceedeth from the Father, who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified, who spake by the prophets. In one holy catholic and apostolic Church; we acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; we look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

After which the Patriarch invoked the holy ghost and all the crowds participated in reciting a litany, the Moskva metropolitan archbishop Vseslav Vsevolodovich recited the following address to the gathered nobles:

"Most God-fearing, absolute, and mighty Lord, Tsar of all the Russias, this visible and tangible adornment of thy head is an eloquent symbol that thou, as the head of the whole Russian people, art invisibly crowned by the King of kings, Christ, with a most ample blessing, seeing that He bestows upon thee entire authority over His people."

Then he passed the Crown to Dmitrii Rurikovich who, standing up placed the Crown upon his own head, this left no doubt that, imperial power came from God.

Bozhe, Tsarja hrani!
Slavnomu dolgi dni
Daj na zemli!
Gordyh smiritjelju,
Slabyh hranitjelju,
Vseh uteshitjelju –
Vsjo nisposhli!

Pervoderzhavnuju,
Rus’ Pravoslavnuju,
Bozhe, hrani!
Trarstvo jej strojnoje,
V silje spokojnoje!
Vsjozh nedostojnoje
Proch otzheni!

O, Providenije!
Blagoslovenije
Nam nisposhli!
K blagu stremljenije,
V schast’je smirenije,
V skorbi terpenije
Daj na zemli!

God, save the Tsar!
Long days to glorious
Give on the earth!
To humbler of the prouds,
To keeper of the weaks,
To comforter of everyone –
Grant ye him all!

Land of the first throne,
Orthodox Rus,
God, save her!
Harmonious reign for her,
Calm in strength!
Everything unworthy
Drive away!

O, Providence!
Blessing
Grant us!
Towards Good aspiration,
Humility in happiness,
Endurance in sorrow
Give on the earth!

As the celebrations were winding down, Aleksandr Rurikovich edged his away from the throng excusing himself from his Lord prescense due to ill health and made his way out of the Kremlin down the street by the Neglinnaya river bridge, lighting his pipe waiting.

Soon as if riding the cold Russian winter winds a "whiirp whiirp" sound echoed through he darkness and Aleksandr Rurikovich smiled...

No one had ever heard from Aleksandr ever again.

Last edited:
Partition of Sweden

After Kingdom of Norway and Duchy of Finland conquered Kingdom of Sweden the Yngling-Knýtling treaty came to reality. In this treaty Norway promised to make Finland a kingdom in return of certain provinces.

1-77.jpg

Sweden was divided between Norway and Finland in the way that Finland gets the eastern coast of Sweden and Norway gets the inner parts also Bergunhus was to be given to Norway as it was part of its natural border.

Signed by his Greatness Sigfred Knýtling King of Finland.

[AAR "rewards": As was agreeded in game: Dalarna, Bergenhus, Närke and Småland are to be edited so that they belong to Kingdom of Norway and Söndermanland is to be edited so that it belongs to Finland]

Returning occupied lands to Lithuania

Before the creation of Kingdom of Finland Norway promised to return the lands taken from Lithuania in the War to Create Finnish Kingdom back to Lithuania.

2-73.jpg

Now that these lands were in the finnish hands and Norway was no longer the liege of Finland Sigfred, King of Finland honored this promise in the fear that Norway would attack them and not help them to gain rest of the finnish lands held by Lithuania. So Count of Reval and Livs were returned under Lithuanian rule.

Signed by His Greatness Sigfred King of Finland

[AAR "rewards" : As agreeded in game Count of Reval and Count of Livs are to be edit so that theyr liege is King of Lithuania]

Emperor Ike said:
[AAR "rewards" : As agreeded in game Count of Reval and Count of Livs are to be edit so that theyr liege is King of Lithuania]
What about Åland (circled on the map but not listed in the text)?

EDIT: I guess Åland also owns Reval, so ok, nevermind.

Last edited:
King Phillippe Accidentally Fought The Church And The Church Won

Breton coat of arms, circa 1136:

King Phillippe de Cournaille was well known to be a pious man. King Phillippe always rendered his tithes to the Church, he had a record of establishing bishoprics and monasteries, and he was renowned for giving any indulgences received for his position as Papal Controller to the poor. King Phillippe had, in fact, made it a policy of his realm to invite any priests passing through Valencia to his table for dinner, conservation, and a night of rest.

During the winter of 1127, a priest arrived at Kazr Brezhoneg late in the afternoon.

“Halt! Who are you, and what business have you at Kazr Brezhoneg?” demanded the castle guard.

The guard was outfitted in the usual fashion: overtunic in the Breton livery – ermine quartered against or four pallets gules, essentially the Vieux Bretagne quartered over the Old Aragon – holding the traditional pike and with a helmet reminiscent of what a later age would call a “guerretog”[1]. The guard’s facial scars spoke volumes about his service in one of Brittany’s many wars, while the guard’s missing left hand bore similar witness to how the man had been released from active service to guard duty.

“My name is Joseph Mustafa. I am a Cistercian monk, traveling though these lands to establish new monasteries. I had heard of the generosity King Phillipe is noted for showing to men of the cloth, and hoped that I might beg a meal and a room for the night,” responded the priest.

The priest was clad in the usual outfit of white tunic, black scapular, and hood; the man carried only a long walking stick and a bag holding his meager possessions.

“Come inside, then; come inside!” boomed the guard. “King Phillippe welcomes all holy men. Go straight past the courtyard and ask for Steward Richenza.”

The guard stepped aside and ushered the priest inside. The priest walked quickly through the courtyard, noting to all corners the bustling activity. At the stables, horses were being shod, at the aviary, the falconer was hooding a nervous hawk…and everywhere were people stalking from place to place with fixed gazes.

The priest eventually found Steward Richenza, a serious looking woman with an unfortunate nose and a more unfortunate haircut that resembled nothing so much as a monk’s tonsure that had been allowed to grow out in the back. Steward Richenza settled in Father Mustafa and allowed him to wash before leading him to the Great Hall for dinner.

Over dinner King Phillippe and his court ate lavishly while debating the issues (and, more often, sharing the gossip) of the day. Topics of great interest were the Rapacity of the Tsar, the Collapse of the Holy Roman Empire, and how ugly Duke Gustav of Normandy’s wife had been before he drove her into an early grave to escape. Between gossip and news, Father Mustafa managed to engage King Phillippe in theological discussion. Alas, the discussion was not concluded as the hour grew late, and so King Phillippe invited the Father to postpone the remainder of his journey and to stay another night.

Over the next few weeks, Father Mustafa spent what other courtiers described as an inordinate amount of time with King Phillippe. King Phillippe was very interested in the stories of the Apostles, especially Paul, the Father of the Church…and one night in January, he sprung to his feet and exclaimed:

“Wait! I have it! The original Disciples were but men, correct?”

“Well…yes, they were. But they were inspired by the direct Word of God,” Father Mustafa nervously responded.

“And yet, they were able to understand God’s Plan and to put it into action. We are men! We have the Direct Word of God as Written in the Bible! We need no priests to tell us how to live!” shouted King Phillippe.

Father Mustafa tried to convince the King that his interpretation was fatally flawed, but King Phillippe could not be convinced. Over the next two years, King Phillippe was officially recognized as a dangerous heretic. Lords began to revolt against King Phillippe, with the tacit (and, in some cases, overt) backing of Rome.

King Phillippe was forced ultimately to come crawling to Pope Guy to confess his sins. After assigning a priest personally to verify that King Phillippe was adhering to all practices as set forth by Rome, Pope Guy recognized that King Phillippe was once again a member of Holy Mother Church in all forms.

The whole experience had left King Phillippe shaken. After all, if he could be so easily led into heresy, what about all those other, lesser, men? Were there even now excommunicates who would return gladly to the Church if given the chance? The question gnawed at King Phillippe. And so King Phillippe called upon Pope Guy – King Phillippe had of necessity developed a close relationship with Pope Guy during the months of oversight, and Pope Guy remembered how King Phillippe had offered Breton support during Guy’s campaign for the Papacy – with a simple request.

Bring all the excommunicates to the fold. Not pure forgiveness; after all, King Phillippe had been required to repent, and so should all the rest. But King Phillippe could not bear the thought that Counts, Dukes, and Kings who could be good Catholics, if only given the opportunity, would be eternally damned by his inaction. And so, after much cajoling, Pope Guy announced a Papal Bull revoking the excommunication of all those living, and exhorting them to return to the fold.

[1] OOC Editor's Note: I’m shooting for something similar to a conquistador helmet here, but adjusting the word to fit into my increasingly more desperately faked Nou Brezhoneg.

[AAR Reward: remove "modest" trait from King Phillippe. Hey, he convinced the Pope to revoke excommunication from everyone!]
[AAR Note: all living characters with the excommunicated trait have had it removed.]

Introduction to the Kingdom of Sicily

Mauger de Hauteville was the king of Sicily, he was a great man but his empire was very small when compared to the other great nations of the known world, but still he was significant for Naples and Sicily had always been strategic regions

Still his empire would probably collapse before the might of the greater empires, and his name would soon be forgotten by history remembered only has a legend of a distant past by local peasants…

But one night it all changed…

The king was in his chamber drinking wine (a lot) and complaining about what he could do to become stronger and resist foreign invasion…but then he saw it…

A great and magnificently powerful angel, with silver eyes and hair, bearing shining white armor and shield, a giant sword enveloped in silver flames, he shined so much that it almost blinded the scared king…

Then the angel spoke…
“Mauger crusader king of Sicily and soon to be king of much more hear my words” his words were powerful and the king felt he became a wiser and more powerful man

The angel proceeded…
“You have been chosen by me to become my new prophet, you shall lead The Followers of Divine Glory…

The king had a strange look on his face, confuse he asked…
“You mean I will lead the Holy Roman Church?

The angel then smiled…
“No my child… you will lead the true way, the Roman church is flawed, we are a group of church members who found “The Truth”, seek brother Zdeslav the Blind in Croatia he will be able to help you…

The angel disappeared and suddenly it become day, as if many hours had passed…

The king immediately went to speak with spy mistress Eremberga
“Eremberga send spies to Croatia immediately I want you to find Zdeslav the Blind a monk of some damned order…NOW!

The scared woman run and begun to work…

After Several Days…

Spy mistress Eremberga returned with some unfortunate news…
“Your majesty we found the monk…unfortunately he will be executed in a castle in Zagreb by the Serbian invaders for inciting the Croatians against them…

His eyes shined as if the angel spoke through him…
“Prepare to march! We leave now, the Serbian dogs will surrender or die I will take Brother Zdeslav with me the cost doesn’t matters!
He left with sword in hand driven by divine rage…

After Some Days…

The Sicilian troops captured Zagreb and the Sicilian King entered the castle riding a great white horse with an air of arrogance, then he spoke many long hours with the monk who thought him everything about The Followers dogma (OOC: to be revealed in later AARs)

After Almost an Year…

The king’s troops kept fighting until they could fight no more hiding that they had already achieved their purpose on Serbia…

The Serbians commemorated as the last Sicilian troops left their provinces, but at the same time the king made a secret party in his palace for now the cult had a chance to prosper…

(OOC note: The king may be truly chosen by god, or maybe he was just too drunk and saw what he wanted to see…)
(OOC note: I will still decide my AAR reward…)
(OOC note: I hope you liked it!)

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Subject of Breton Mercenaries

It is said that you may know a nation by looking at its rulers, and vice-versa. If that is true, then Brittany was ruled in the 12th century by a motley crew of hard-bitten mercenaries. And, indeed, a look at Kings Alain and Phillippe, among others, shows that the Kings of Brittany were generally cruel and selfish men. They could, however, be stirred on occasion to displays of personal largess where they found it convenient or expedient (cf the Treaty of Åland, which saw 2 full fortnights of feasting for all the visitors at Duke Phillippe's expense).

In any event, generations of fighting across most of Europe and North Africa (as they sang in Brittany: "from the marsh of bloody Moray, to the shores of old Ifni...") had left the Breton soldiers well traveled and well blooded. And so the Kings of Brittany, having developed a taste for war in Iberia, kept marching. To Northern France, in support of their own goals and the goals of Allied Flanders. To Germany, in support of the Kings of Prussia and Bohemia. To Ireland, to return the favor the King of Scotland and Duke of Munster had once played on Breton Lords. To Scotland, in support of the King of England.

And, of course, all over the Breton lands to put down the Arab Revolt, the Galician Revolt, the Welsh Revolt, the Irish Revolt, the Gascon Revolt, and the Mallorcan Revolt.

As a result, Brittany may have been the only country to develop a feast ritual based on negotiating a land-exchange between a supported country and Breton mercenaries as represented by their King. Certainly, they were the only country to develop a form treaty. After a mandatory fortnight of feasting, the associated rulers would come to stand before the obligatory crowd, place their seals on the treaty, and then retire to their traveling tents. After the sealing, another two weeks of feasting. This was extremely hard on the Breton treasury, but generally was paid for by newly-acquired lands in a sort of "Welcome to the Empire" dunning.

The Treaty of ___Pfalz___

Know Ye All Men By What Follows

That the counties of: ____Loon, Luxembourg, Pfalz, and Baden____,

the titles Duke of _____________Luxembourg____________,

and the titles King of __________N/A_______________

are hereby confirmed as _____Prussian_____ possessions, now and forever, for the Kings of _____Prussia_____ to rule and defend with the strength and wisdom granted them by Our Lord Jesus Christ.

That the counties of: __Fürstenberg, Schwaben, Ulm, and Nürnberg__,

the titles Duke of _____________Swabia____________,

and the titles King of __________N/A_______________

are hereby confirmed as _____Bohemian_____ possessions, now and forever, for the Kings of _____Bohemia_____ to rule and defend with the strength and wisdom granted them by Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Let it be so.

[Seal of King Phillippe de Cournaille of Brittany]

The chancellor of Brittany has so much paperwork these days that he decided to create a treaty template for province and title transfers, it would seem :D

The Treaty of ___Northumberland___

That the Duchy of Northumberland,

the counties of: ____Moray, Buchan, Mar, Argyll, Berwick, Cumberland, Dyfed and Devon____,

the titles Duke of __________N/A__________,

and the titles King of __________N/A__________

are hereby confirmed as _____English_____ possessions, now and forever, for the Kings of _____England_____ to rule and defend with the strength and wisdom granted them by Our Lord Jesus Christ.

That the Archbishopric of Leinster,

the Duchy of Normandy,

the counties of: __Arques, Evreux, Maine, Ile de France and Orleans__,

are hereby confirmed as _____Breton_____ possessions, now and forever, for the Kings of _____Brittany_____ to rule and defend with the strength and wisdom granted them by Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Let it be so.

The __2nd__ Treaty of __Chartres__

That the counties of: ____Westfriesland, Holland, Sticht, Breda, Liege, Boulogne, Eu, Arques, Evreux, Ile de France, Orleans, and Nevers____,

are hereby confirmed as _____French_____ possessions, now and forever, for the Kings of _____France_____ to rule and defend with the strength and wisdom granted them by Our Lord Jesus Christ.

That the counties of: __Vendome, Anjou, Tourraine, Bourges, Forez, and Lyon__,

the titles Duke of ______Dauphine and Berry______,

are hereby confirmed as _____Breton_____ possessions, now and forever, for the Kings of _____Brittany_____ to rule and defend with the strength and wisdom granted them by Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Let it be so.

Varyar said:
The chancellor of Brittany has so much paperwork these days that he decided to create a treaty template for province and title transfers, it would seem :D
Yes. Poor Lale has been tearing her hair out over it, which is why she has to wear a chador now. :(

[Rough version]

Pavle Vojislav 1078-1123
Death took the brave strategist with out mercy or honour. Still, live was kind to him. Enabling him to forge the Kingdom of Serbia with the conquests of Vidin, and further establish him as the Lion of Balkans.

Gojslav Vojislav 1103-1130
The prodigy son of the Pavle the Great, was a wise man indeed. Whereas the skills of his father was on the battlefield, his skills layed in the courts of men. It was not with out reason that he was called an diplomatic eminence rivaling the cunning of older and wise men. Sadly, his story as Gojslav the Cunning was short on the throne of Serbia. He was whisked away by an evil plauge, when he was still too young, leaving his only son, Matija Vojislav, only aged six years to take over the throne with the aid of his fathers advisor.

Matija Vojislav 1124-
The only son of the young king Gojslav, trusted into responsibility in years to young otherwise, but forced out of necessity. During his early years, much of the daily preceedings was handled by his fathers advisor, the Chancellor Miroslava Vojislav, the Steward Boleslava Rurikovich, the Marshal Ljubomir Vojislav, the Master of Spies Katrina Vojislav and the Diocese Bishop Bayca Zeleméri. Which all had a good reason to see the future of Serbia and Vojislav to be bright, with Boleslava married into House Vojislav, and Bayca Zeleméri being alive thanks to his early conversion from paganism to orthodoxy in the courts of Vojislav. During the early years there were many troubles, such as the invasions of Hungary into the Transylvanian counties, which was forced to be given away to the Kingdom of Hungary and the Sicilian invasion which was however beaten back with much trouble since they invaded while the Croatian king too started a war against Serbia. But the outcome was a victory. With the expulsion of the Sicilian interlopers, and the eradication of the Croatian Kingdom. It did not take long before the Matija, the boy-king of Serbia was proclaimed by the Chancellor Miroslava as the King of Greater Serbia, which included the area of the former kingdom of Croatia. The early years did not end there. It ended with the conquest of the Antiocheia, the goal of the Crusade that the Pope called out for. Something that the advisors of the Boy-King, an oppurtinity that could not let go, since this would give great glory and prestige the young boy-king, something that was badly needed.

The early years of the boy-king Matija Vojislav, has ended, with a new goal. The subjugation of Hungary, with the catholic backstabbing hungarians in the north Greater Serbia will not be able to feel safe. So, the advisor plotted and planned for the future.

I would like piety as AAR-reward.

Courtier Guy de Toulosse ride towards the castle which stood in high ground, in place where once stood a fortress of acient culture, power of long pass form these ilands. Guy didn't wonder all why those who were called Romans had left; this bloody weather...It never stopped raining. Winters were harsh and the rain, unstoppable rain spoiled the summers. It was like God himself was urinating upon the Brittish ilands...

...Oh lord, thats blasphemy!! ....But Guy didn't care, not any longer....not after seeing what he had heard.

After riding two days from the coast where his ship had landed in the terrible weather his agony wasen't eased altough he reached to his destination, or at least very near to it. The civil war that had raged for few years now had made the King paranoid...none was to enter his town without theral examination and proper reasons. Tough courtiers may go and come as they pleases, none goes past the gates without waiting their turn. So there stood Guy de Toullousse socking weat and generally fed up to his entire life among peasants, serfs and other uncathegorized mob waiting to get in to London.
The civil war had broken to its full rage while Guy was in France, but the seeds were already spread and the storm was about to rise before Guys trip to his home in southern France. It was that woman, Countness of Oxford, wife of the king and Queen of England.
Womens, hah! Nothing but trouple..."If there weren't the pleasure of sex, we mens would have killed those futile bullshiters long time ago.." Guy remebered someone saying. Was it the King? No, not the king, the Counselor...Cold shiwers went trough Guys spine when he thinkied about the Counselor...A witch or sorceress more like...

....Silence...did he hear that? For brief moment Guy couldn't see nor hear anything, well he did hear and see, but not comprehend anyhting. He gasped and returned to the precence when some peasent pushed him and shouted to move along with the line. Cold sweath replaced the shiwer while Guy tried to convince himself that no, there is no such thing as magic nor other sort of wickery. Still he didn't fear God hearing his curses, but he hell sure feared that the Counselor would hear his bad toughts about him.
He didn't remeber much of the next following hours, so deep was the state of upset which was brought by simply remembering the Counselors existince. And yet the Counselor was the very reason why he had returned to England after watching his father passing away at his home castle in Toulousse. As the oldest son he was expected to rise to power but to the suprise of all he appointed his younger brother Jadi to the seat and rushed back to England, to the court which he had spend most of his life.
He recalled again from another countless series of deliriums when some sentry said loudly: "You mean the Counselor??, that bloody drunken forrest-mage is down at the Cornwall torturing yet another rebelling count.." This was a huge relief. Guy didn't dear to face the man and didn't know what would have happended if he was around. Could he have dared to tell to the King what he knew?
Kings throne room was cold and drafty place, but so was all trhone rooms. Yet the court of King of England felt more coldy and even more drafty than others, the strain of the rebelious wife and the malicious athmosphere caused by the Counselor was evidable.
"Guy, my dear friend your back!" shouted the King. he sounded delighted, but it was more of general upspirit than real joy of Guys return. It was strange. The King was nerve-wreck when Guy left to his trip back home. Was there some changes in the war? No, it could not be that, Guy would have heard rumours from the soldiers and peasents in jorney to the castle. Could it be that the King was happy and reliefed when the Counselor was away? Unlikely, the two seemed to get along just fine, and that was about all who would came along with the Counselor. Exspecially the horrible and toxicating drink that he had brought with him was greatly appriciated by the King...Viina...that what the Counselor called it.

"Have you come deft?" Guy woken, he had led his mind wondering
again...."I asked how is your father, is he all better now as you have returned?" asked the King?

"No, he passed on..." Guy mumbled distractedly

"Oh what a pity, may god be mercifull to his soul, he was a magnificent man.." The King kept rambling about his fathers greatnes and the whole familys devotion to the Court.

"Now tell me Guy, what brough you back to England? Do not say its that girl from North Cumberland? Eh?" King asked and laughted like they were two city lads talking trash in Londons sody alleys. "I know he is a looker, but worth of the county of Toullousse?" He continued.

"No my lord" Guy said half amaized half irritated as the King mocked his soft spot.

"Its something that my father..." -"Well those mellons sure would be worth of half of the wales, but Toulousse.." King interupted him and kept rampling on with almoust idiotic grin in hi face...

"Would you for the love of our God listen to me!!!" Guy shouted and suddenly there were death silence. What have hi done. The toll of the long journey and the load he was carrying had taken over him. But he didn't care, not any more. As he apparently had the King stunned and at the same time silence, he continued:

"Would my lord be so generous and listen becouse I have something that much reach his majestety's awerenes?"

"Whats the matter.." King mumbeled

And Guy told what was the matter. He told about his fathers last days and seeing the light of the his life slowly dissapearing but most notably he told about the last conversation that Guy had with his dying patré. His father shad tarted to talk about the history of his familly and for a while Guy toughted that it was just some old mans prattle. Untill he started to talk about their great ancestor Guilierme de Toulousse, once a Duke of Toulousse.
Legend told that Guilerme was approached by a mystical man, A sorceress from the far north. The magican promised all sort of nice things to the Duke and Guilerme listened. The magican promised prosper and welth as well as might and influence and long was he treated like honourable quest in the court. But Guilerme was a modest man and altough he was given just about anything he desired, two sons inthe foremost he seddled to the convinied life with little to worry about.
But this made the mage frustrated and despite his endless attempts to lure the duke into more agressive and bolder actions to increasing his power, Guilerme just took what was given and did practically nothnig in return. Finally the cup of the mage's patience spilled over and he opened up to the duke:

"I've given you everything!! Gold, silver and pronze; iron, power and force but you do nothing! I've given you with my both hands and you whipe your arse with yours and do nothing! And all what I've asked you is to take more and get more, but no, you are seddled to what I give!"

The mage crabbed the duke from his chest and threw him on the floor and the frightened and stunned duke mongered "but, but wwwhhtttaat d-d-do you want?"

The mage started to chant

And the world ended. Huge and cold breeze blewed and the whole castle was covered with frost. Guilerme wached in horror as he saw not only physically how his castle beguns to scratle but by some evil sorcery how his whole reingh became to fade. He saw ilnesses cauth by his sons and them dying. He saw peasents dispasing the room of the Toulousse. He saw deseption crawling to the ears of his liege and how war marched to his fields. He saw blood and terror, steel and horror and just before falling to the realms of the underworld he heard the mage raging on by weird and alien word:

...Kuuaurinkokivi...Kuuaurinkokivi...

"Take this man away from me!" Shouted the king and Guy realized that he had taken the king from his chest and shouting the story to his majestety's face. Guy dropped the king and saw how shaddows beguns to grow. He knew that it was him, the Counselor but he didn't fear, not any more. Instead he laughed, laughed like a maniac and while the guards dragged him away form the king and to the dungeouns he just shouted between the laughter:

"He is him, he is the mage, the Counselor...he is the same, I know his name...I KNOW HIS NAME!!"

Years passed on and among the guards of the King's castle there were a warning not to go near to the deepest and the farmost cell in the royal dungeouns deep underground the King's castle. But still once and a while some noob novise guard went to deliver the food (or at least something reminding it) to the wrong cell and heard the lunatic rambling on and on and on the same sentence..

...I know his name...Gollevainen...Gollevainen...

For reward could someone please kill my wife or if that isen't possiple, take away the "bad boy"-levels as much as possiple

Last edited: