• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
asd21593: ...This dream of uniting all Greeks was called the Megali Idea.

WONDERFUL ! ! :D works for me ! ! :)

magnificent updates ! !
:cool:

First gameplay update! w00t :D

Nika! The Rise Of Modern Greece

The First Steps

constitution.JPG

From birth, Greece was an ambitious nation. Not much can be said about the very first years of the Modern Greek nation. The economy was weak, only making minimal profits. Small scale cotton plantations in Lamia and sulfur mines in Naxos helped the Greeks export goods to gain much of there income.

With this money the Greeks had saved up enough funds to keep an army of 10,000 functioning for about a year. Any other long term war was infeasible at the moment. So a chance for Greece to flex its military muscles came in 1838. Egypt had declared war on the Ottoman Empire. King Otto I led his nation in the fray officially on June 1st, 1838. Immediately 10,000 Western European-trained Greek soldiers boarded ships in Athens as massive celebrations heralded their coming victory.

ss3pt6.png

After some preliminary bombardment and small invasions of key points, Greek troops landed in Hania, Crete on June 8th 1838. The few hundred Egyptian men garrisoning the island could do little to defend themselves from the Greek army. By mid-July, Greek troops had settled any Egyptian or Muslim insurgency and fully occupied the island.

What happened next in the war would stain King Otto’s reign for all time. He was very hesitant to invade the Egyptian mainland. Both the Greek people and the Greek generals tried to convince the Bavarian king that Alexandria and the Egyptian coast was undefended. Yet Otto, as king, needed to give direct orders, and he never did.

Greek military action was fumbled for the rest of the war as various ambitious generals tried to invade the Egyptian coast. These disorganized and small attacks cost the Greek Army over 2,000 casualties. As more and more civilian militias boarded ships and tried their hand at conquering Egypt, public opinion grew worse against King Otto I. And assassination attempt was even made against him in September of 1838. Finally peace was signed on October 7th 1838, but only after 5,000 Greek men, most militia, died.

ss4gv5.png

While Greece gained the island of Crete, the people knew they could have gained much more. The fact that Otto did not commission an official invasion of Egypt, which led to poor militias trying instead, only strengthened the Greek people’s resentment towards their foreign king.

Caution can sometimes be justified, but Greece at this point in time is not a nation for caution...

Still, Krete is something already...

Small steps are necessary before the giant leaps.

A good start: Crete is a solid early move, and you can probably count on the British very decently doling out the Ionian Islands in a few years time... Your map of claims looks to have interesting potential- I assume you'll edit the Ottomans at some point to put their capital at Ankara? (Or wherever...). And I, for one, would have been in favour of the Empire of Alexander!

Thanks for the comments, as usual comments appreciated.

The game is now in 1908 and I'll tell you that it is very ahistorical, but in a way that everything feels so real and plausible. Since this revelation doesnt really affect Greece, I'll reveal that Russians are occupying India right now, which is really cool.

RGB - That's just my explanation for my failure to take everyone's advice and invade mainland Egypt. Plus it affects the story later.. ;)

DerKaiser - To have Greek cores on Alexander's empire is crazy, and conquering it to me is too crazy, hard, and unejoyable (especially since Persia is GoI'd by Russia!) As always in my AARs it's always too late for modding. Also, when were the British ever decent? ( :cool: ?spoiler?)

asd21593: ...What happened next in the war would stain King Otto’s reign for all time...

mistakes happen ! ! :eek:

asd21593:
...While Greece gained the island of Crete, the people knew they could have gained much more.

think of it as the king did not have enough experience to make a good decision ! ! ;)

awesome update ! ! :cool:

Not bad at all, getting Crete three years after beginning is a good gain. The biggest additions to the Hellenic nation will come when the economy starts running ...

I like the use of the Megali idea to base your ambitions upon. And gaining Crete is a good start. If you had succeeded in gaining anything in Egypt's mainland you'd have to then pour much needed resources into defending a land border with a dangerous enemy.

Good luck with the rise of Greece. :cool:

Short World Update

The World In 1840

kardfrog.jpg

Most of the South American countries gained independence in the 1820’s. They started as large confederations of various areas. But within years, their swift revolutions came back to haunt them. With no real leadership and the deaths of men like Bolivar, those large federations split apart.

Out of this power struggle rose military dictators and a slew of wars and civil wars. Twenty years later in 1840, it was no different. The chaos continued with Bolivia successfully breaking away from the Peru-Bolivia Confederation. In Brazil, ambitious frontier-men and natives fought a bloody guerrilla war against Brazilian forces for independence. The tiny Amazonian Republic lasted only months before Brazilian Imperial forces crushed it.

ss5pf3.png

In the Middle-East, the Ottoman-Egyptian War continued. Greece had signed a separate peace with Egypt two years before, while Turks still fought back the Egyptians. Now, two years later, the Ottomans are once again on the outskirts of Jerusalem and have almost reached the Sinai Peninsula.

ss6ew4.png

Peace was finally signed on January 20th, 1841 with the Ottomans gaining the entire Levant. But it was not a economic or political gain but rather a spiritual. Jerusalem is after all considered the holiest place on earth by 3 religions. But bloody fighting had destroyed much of the Holy Land’s infrastructure and it was barren after the war.

ss7nw5.png

Hopefully the prolonged war will also have hurt the Ottomans.

And if anything, the Ottomans had significant gains and Greece not so much. Oh well.

Check 1st post for Heads of State; over 1000 views! ; Comments appreciated

The Coup Of 1842

1843.gif

When the Greek people saw the paintings of Muslims, worse, Turks, celebrating in Jerusalem, they were shocked. The Greeks thought they deserved and could have won the Holy Land and much of Egypt in the war. They were obviously mistaken as the Greeks, at best, could have only gotten slivers of Egyptian coastline in a treaty.

Nevertheless, the fact that King Otto I refused to carry the war further lead to over 5,000 civilian deaths. The national “heroes” that attempted to conquer Egypt themselves, as discussed in the previous chapter, failed. The last straw for the Greek people came in early-1842. King Otto I was revealed to be having a love affair with a nun.

Within weeks, crazy rumors hyped by the media spread throughout the country. People started to think that Otto also hated the Orthodox Church and, when forest fires spread through the nation, people said that Otto started them to destroy churches. There was a great outcry against the Bavarian king. People called him “The Foreigner.” Newspapers portrayed him as an adulterous, evil, anti-Christian tyrant.

Demonized in the media, Otto tried to reclaim his popularity by raising a large army. He said that the Greeks would conquer all of the Ottoman Empire. But the Greeks knew these were foolish and impossible promises. This plan backfired. Thousands of Greek farmers were drafted too rapidly and this caused a near-famine. The Greeks could take it no longer, the new Greek Army laid siege to Athens and stormed the Royal Palace with a famous revolutionary general, John Makriyannis.

Little help came from Germany or Britain. A couple of hundred British soldiers attempted to land in the battle-hardened peninsula of Mani and failed. The tough Maniots killed them all. It was hopeless; Otto was no longer going to be King of Greece. On the night of September 12th, 1842, John Makriyannis and his force of 10,000 men broke through the doors of the Royal Palace and killed the entire Royal Family. The Greek people proclaimed the revolutionary hero as King.

MakryiannisProsalentis.jpg

So John Makriyannis became the first actually Greek King of Greece. His immense popularity from both his Memoirs and heroism during the Revolution made him an accepted and popular king. He enacted a new liberal constitution that would later cause problems for other European nations and revitalized the economy. But his greatest feat would be accomplished later.

Ahh a good old military coup. :)

A Greek Greek King? It'll never work!

At least that'll make the rallying cry of nationalism a little less fraudulent, though it's a shame the entire royal family had to be sacrificed...

Good, get those Germans out of there.

But you mean that other than leading the Revolution, introducing a constitution and re-jigging the economy to work, he accomplished something else? I'm curious to see!

Mind, I don't know how long the Kingdom will last, this being Greece and all...

An even greater accomplishment? :eek:

likk9922 said:
An even greater accomplishment? :eek:

c'mo ya gotta expect something more outta 'ole johnny-boy eh? :D

:) asd

*update coming tomorrow?......

**btw: does anyone have any leader titles i could use for the heads of state section, i dont wanna use the same over and over again? thanks in advance

Last edited: