• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The storm is gathered
A very long update

As time went on, Germany led the way for Fascism to show its true face.
GERaggro.png

Even France, Romania's traditional friend and one of the greatest nations in the world, was divided between a German rump state in the south and outright occupation in the north.
fradead.png

At this time, Ferdinand II, who was incensed, started to threaten Hitler openly with war in his backyard unless he should repent. Finally, on the 14th of May an ultimatum was sent to Germany to arrange peace and the release of Czechoslovakia (With Sudetenland), Poland and France, by the first of August, or risk a second front with Romania.

By now, the fortified nation was a force to be reckoned with; although pushing its manpower to the limit, it had grown a large and modern army, which, although outnumbered a few times over by the Axis, could still do real damage, or, in ideal circumstances, even win the war (Ideal circumstances mean an early D-Day by the British, even failed).

Yet the army was not fully developed to the grandeur the king has envisaged; from the starting point in 1936 it was about 3/4 of the way there. Especially tanks and the training of elite marine troops had proven quite problematic, but it would surely be followed up in the future!

But, in those troubled years, democracy and freedom faced another direct attack (let's not count the indirect ones...) - communism. Even as they had done 20 years ago, the Soviets sent an ultimatum, demanding Basarabia for their own, as a former part (1812 - 1918) of the Russian empire.

"Damned hypocrites," snarled the king upon seeing the ultimatum. "Who are they to denounce imperialism?"

A telegram was sent to Moscow in answer right away; here are its contents:

RECEIVED SO-CALLED ULTIMATUM STOP STALIN YOU ARE A FOOL STOP YOU GET NOTHING STOP WILL SEE YOU IN HELL FIRST STOP

Needless to say,
soitbegins.jpg

the answer was not appreciated.

I tweaked the claim events so that if Romania resists the Comintern and Axis declare war, not Romania. I can do without the 7 dissent and 5? belligerence for defending my people's homes!

Romania was caught with its pants still partially down: army - incomplete, airforce - almost none at all. But if the first year will be survived, at least the latter aspect will, in time, be solved:
prodandpolitics.png

As you can see my slider settings are almost perfect, one more move to standing army is needed. I maxed out free market because of a rogue politician event that turned me market liberal for about a year (when it happened again and I took the ignore him option). In due course I am considering maxing free society and democrat sentiment.

My minister cabinet is pretty cool. Ministers of intelligence and security, and chief of staff, are all perfect, and the others aren't bad either. I don't care what Caramfil and Vizante are doing in their departments, though.

Resources: The situation here is not so good. We have a lot of energy but going down fast, and it's the same with metal and rares, except slighter stocks. Unless I register some resource-nabbing successes, I run the risk of my IC going down fast in 2-3 years. Oil and supplies are not so much of a problem, and money is manageable.
IC: Romania has 60 base IC, but with our technology, ministers and a private initiative booster, this rises to 78. With Central Planning and admin genius armaments minister it would be 93 (?).
Manpower: My Manpower is down to 21 because of all the divisions I've built. I am actually going to war with the totalitarian majors with 21 manpower to spare.

However, on the short term, Romania's borders are well defended:
fortses.png

We have forts on the northern borders to protect where the hammer(s) will fall hardest, and the following order of battle:

Army Group Romania:

Satu Mare:
Armata I (commanded by Ferdinand II)
*Stat Major Armata I - HQ 2 - AA 1
*Divizie 4 Puscasi Marini - MAR 2 - SP-ART 2

*Corp 6 Armata (not in-game)
**Divizie 7 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 21 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 16 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
*Corp 7 Armata (not in-game)
**Divizie 2 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 3 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 13 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 18 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
*Corp 13 Armata
**Divizie 1 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 12 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 17 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2

Corp 4 Paza (Mj. Gen. Stoicanescu)
**Divizie 2 Graniceri - GAR II - POL
**Divizie 3 Graniceri - GAR II - POL
**Dispeceratul 2 Politie Speciala - GAR II - POL

Beltsy:
Armata a II-a (commanded by general Sanatescu)
*Stat Major Armata a II-a - HQ 2 - AA 1
*Corp 10 Armata (not in-game)
**Divizie 4 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 5 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
*Corp 34 Armata (not in-game)
**Divizie 6 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 8 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
*Corp 12 Armata
**Divizie 9 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 10 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 11 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2

Corp 1 Motorizat (Lt. Gen Argetoianu)
**Divizie 3 Infanterie Motorizata - MOT I - AT 2
**Divizie 1 Infanterie Motorizata - MOT I - AT 2
**Divizie 6 Infanterie Motorizata - MOT I - AT 2

Corp 1 Armata (Lt. Gen Cosma)
**Divizie 19 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 24 Infanterie - INF 41 * will have SP-ART 2
**Divizie 20 Infanterie - INF 41 * will have SP-ART 2

Corp 2 Armata (Mj. Gen Salomir)
**Divizie 31 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 32 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP ART 2
**Divizie 36 Infanterie - INF 41 * will have SP-ART 2

Constanta:
Corp 1 Vanatori de Munte (Lt. Gen Ionescu-Sinaia)
**Divizie 1 Vanatori de Munte - MTN II - AA I
**Divizie 23 Vanatori de Munte - MTN II - AA I
**Divizie 5 Vanatori de Munte - MTN II - AA I

Iasi:
Corp Puscasi Marini (Lt. Gen Mociulschi)
**Divizie 1 Puscasi Marini - MAR II - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 2 Puscasi Marini - MAR II - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 3 Puscasi Marini - MAR II - SP-ART 2

Cavaleria Romana (Lt. Gen Dragalina)
**Divizie 1 Cavalerie - CAV IV - AT 2
**Divizie 4 Cavalerie - CAV IV - AT 2
**Divizie 7 Infanterie Motorizata - MOT I - AT 2

Arad:
Corp 1 Tancuri (Lt. Gen Glimnitz)
**Divizie 1 Tancuri - ARM III - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 2 Tancuri - ARM III - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 3 Tancuri - ARM III - SP-ART 2

Corp 2 Motorizat (Lt. Gen Racovita)
**Divizie 2 Infanterie Motorizata - MOT I - AT 2
**Divizie 4 Infanterie Motorizata - MOT I - AT 2

Corp 3 Motorizat (Mj. Gen. Leventi)
**Divizie 5 Infanterie Motorizata - MOT I - AT 2
**Divizie 8 Infanterie Motorizata - MOT I - AT 2

Craiova:
Corp 2 Vanatori de Munte (Lt. Gen Bardan)
**Divizie 3 Vanatori de Munte - MTN II - AA I
**Divizie 2 Vanatori de Munte - MTN II - AA I
**Divizie 22 Vanatori de Munte - MTN II - AA I

Corp 3 Armata (Lt. Gen Dascalescu)
**Divizie 41 Infanterie - INF 41 * will have SP-ART 2
**Divizie 42 Infanterie - INF 41 * will have SP-ART 2

Bacau:
Corp 3 Vanatori de Munte (Lt. Gen Leoveanu)
**Divizie 4 Vanatori de Munte - MTN II - AA I
**Divizie 6 Vanatori de Munte - MTN II - AA I
**Divizie 7 Vanatori de Munte - MTN II - AA I

Chisinau:
Armata Rezerva (commanded by general Mihail)
*Statul Major Roman - HQ 2 - AA 1
*Corp 18 Armata (not in-game)
**Divizie 14 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 15 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
*Corp 19 Armata
**Divizie 25 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 26 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2

Corp 3 Paza (Mj. Gen. Ionascu)
**Divizie 1 Graniceri - GAR II - POL
**Divizie 3 Paza - GAR II - POL
**Dispeceratul 1 Politie Speciala - GAR II - POL

Bucuresti:
Armata a III-a (commanded by general Constantinescu-Claps)
*Stat Major Armata a III-a - HQ 2 - AA 1
*Corp 32 Armata (not in-game)
**Divizie 27 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 30 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
*Corp 33 Armata
**Divizie 37 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 38 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2

Corp 1 Paza (Mj. Gen. Tatarescu)
**Divizie 1 Garda - GAR II - POL
**Divizie 1 Pazai - GAR II - POL
**Divizie 1 Fortificatii - GAR II - POL

Corp 2 Paza (Mj. Gen. Trincu)
**Divizie 2 Garda - GAR II - POL
**Divizie 2 Pazai - GAR II - POL
**Divizie 2 Fortificatii - GAR II - POL

Timisoara:
Armata Expeditionara (commanded by general Antonescu)
*Stat Major Expeditionar - HQ 2 - AA 1
**Divizie 39 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 40 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2
**Divizie 43 Infanterie - INF 41 - SP-ART 2

This means a total of 12 garrison divisions, 5 HQ's, 3 tank divisions, 9 mountaineer, 4 marine, 9 motorized, 2 cavalry and 38 Infantry. Most of our units are brigaded, and for all existing divisisions a brigade is either in place or under way (6 INF still need their SP-ART support).

The army is not complete; it still needs 6 more tank divisions, 4 MEC and 5 MAR.

Last edited:
rcduggan said:
IC building up is always good

True: even now I think I haven't done enough of it! :wacko:

not always because it is consuming more goods and large ic that eaten all your resources with shrink and dissent rise (that happened to me when as su i made economy of 600ic...)

I think he can make a white-peace if he can defend his borders for an year, or even grab some territory.

Hey, this seems interesting! I have a weak spot for Balkan nation AAR's.

Deus Eversor: Well 600 IC is an awful lot. Generally 100-150 is enough to do anything in SP.

Crush3r, Arthulian: If I stand up to Bulgaria, (and if I would not cede Bassarabia to the Soviets, who's going to take me serious if I don't?) that event contains peace with SOV. Is this an unfair advantage?

KanaX: I think I might have an idea why... anyhow, your name is kool!

All: I only have 19 manpower left, not 21. My bad. :eek:o

Yeah, that is kinda bad.

Good luck!

Rotten Venetic said:

KanaX: I think I might have an idea why... anyhow, your name is kool!
Really? Cool? :confused: That's the first time everyone has ever said that.

KanaX said:
Really? Cool? :confused: That's the first time everyone has ever said that.

I like the sound of "Kana" but that's just me and acustics.

Ritterkreutz: Thanks, and seconded on both counts. :D

likk9922: What's bad? Peace with SOV, or manpower?

Peace with sov is gamey in this case, edit it out of the event.

Done. Change of tactic: emphasys will now be on survival. :D

Rotten Venetic said:
I like the sound of "Kana" but that's just me and acustics.
Funny. But I like it that you like it.

The killing begins:
June and July 1940

An even longer update

Nobody in Romania was happy about the start of this war, but neither were they surprised. Dreading an invasion across the entire border, something which they could never hold back, the Romanian General Staff ordered attacking the Soviets' own territory, lest they seize the initiative.

opening.png

Romania's limited airforce was sent out to cover the skies over Basarabia, in an attempt to seal the biggest amount of Romanian off from intrusion.

airmission.png

The Romanian army proved to be more modern, well equipt and well led than the Red one. In Stryj, several victories were scored in short order.

airbattle.png

Stalin sent waves of Bombers into Romania to destroy the army. Whenever the Romanian fighters encountered these forces, the Soviet bombs fell upon the troops only while still inside the airplanes, but this was not always the case:

uselessbacaubombing.png

Considering that no Romanian mountaineers had entered combat thus far, the Soviets were quite riled up against them.

The king, who was constantly travelling between his army in Satu Mare and the government palaces in Bucarest, wanted more updates on other probe attacks, aside from those in Stryj:

uselessodessaprobe.png

probeattackbalta.png

An equally ill-fated attack in Moghilev Podolski was underway, but the king only looked once at the campaign maps and reports and went red with anger.
"Damned fools! It's the river, no? Nobody in the world has any satisfactory doctrine for the crossing of rivers during battle! That's why your attacks are failing, that's why they are not attacking at all! Move more supplies to the area and concentrate your efforts on keeping them out of Stryj. I have just passed the bill to officially put the country's economy on war production."

Supplies:
offsupply.png

Economy on war footing:
slidersjune40.png

Focus on Stryj:

stryj4greatbattle.png

Due to the king's orders a massive battle was fought in Stryj involving an entire Soviet front and practically all the Romanian forces in the area; naturally the Romanians won. For want of firecrackers, they used falling Soviet bombers as celebration visual effects:

air2.png

That was not, however, the end of hostilities in Stryj; the second decade of July was full of them.

stryj7.png

Stryj8.png

stryj9.png

But for all these victories, the Romanian people would have long since started to despair. A rather successful bombing campaign had taken place in Constanta against the mountaineers there; also the Marine Corps - the beating heart of the Eastern front - were losing more men than could be replaced.

lossesandstryj5.png

To make things worse, very soon there were none left to replace the losses. Therefore the king ordered a halt to all offensives in the East, to give the forces there time to regroup and, to what extent this was possible, reinforce.
slidersjuly40.png

fortsandmanpower.png

Also, since Romania was embroiled in war with the Soviet Union, Ferdinand knew that the Axis would soon jump for the kill when they perceived the first sign of weakness. That is why no extra forces were deployed to the Eastern front, nor was there any attempt made to advance into enemy lands. Yet the Soviets again failed to seize the initiative.

After a week's lull, Nicolae Titulescu, with the king's grudging aproval, sent out peace feelers, on the grounds that neither side was gaining anything. But Stalin was not ready to forget the telegram or especially to forgo industry-rich Basarabia.
nopeace.png

Meanwhile, if no new men came, at least new equipment was brought to the frontline, much to the delight of the soldiers. Infantry was brought fully up to date, and all motorized forces were upgraded to the best standards in the world.
upgrades.png

Conclusions: The Soviets are not prepared for peace but they don't want to attack. This is probably due to my modding folly: I have tweaked the battle modifiers to favor attack more, but left the river penalties as are. I am seriously considering modifying them in the modifiers.csv file, the save file and the engineer brigades.

As for further offensives into Stryj, these will have to be played out with utmost caution, as I am not gaining any territory, but losing manpower. And I have no manpower. Whatever I can scrounge will be needed against Germany and to build SP artillery and aircraft units.

Woohoo, good updates! Now I'm just waiting for Bulgaria to commit something suicidal.