• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The mod is well on track. Alpha-02 will be released by tomorrow. I will post a feature list when that happens.

I have been writing some events for the mod. Here is a little teaser of a random event for the Robot nation. The weapons cache random events I made have been customised so that there is a different version for each major race (humans, ghouls, mutants, and robots) which gives the option to activate the correct unit type for that race. Oh and New Reno and Den nations get a Hired Guns battalion instead of normal Human Regulars.

robot_bunker.bmp.jpg

Scout report - patrol 429 located transponder encrypt code ZFR33748852. Military decrypt - program US Robo-Weapon Division Robo-brain Project. Stock of base model Robo-brain chassis with weapon options. Number sufficient for one Robo battalion. Directive input: commence unit initialisation or render to component parts?

Choice A Mainframe authorisation initialise units
Choice B Mainframe authorisation render components

There is a tongue in cheek X-files event chain for player only which has 6 possible endings and a randomised progression path. I can't resist showing you some fun teasers from that. These are agents Smoulder and Horny. They are the descendants of the original FBI special agents working on the X-files. The generations of these descendants after the Apocalypse have continued trying to find the Truth that is out there. What will they find though....? A hoax? Actual Proof? Love? Don't think that the below order of pictures actually gives you any clues! This is a random sample of only some of the event pictures.
:p :cool:
smoulder_and_horny.bmp.jpg

xfiles_ufo_alien_computer.bmp.jpg

xfiles_investigation.bmp.jpg

xfiles_trouble.bmp.jpg

xfiles_failure_explosion.bmp.jpg

While I have been swept into the enthusiasm for putting pop culture references into the Fallout mod, I will be focussing more on pure Fallout content for a while. Stay tuned for my giant rat infestation event chain, which is very much based on the original Fallout games... it will be a complex and very fun event chain with unexpected twists. Some of the event chains in the Fallout mod will really bring some kind of role playing adventure flavour to what is obviously mainly a strategic high level game. Fallout fans should enjoy that, I think.
:cool: :D

Cheers,
Sword

Is it...? Hmmmm.... All I can say is that event writing is a lot of fun.
;)

Now don't think that this X-files one is a hugely complex event chain, though I'm sure I can write one like that. But it does have randomisation and 6 endings as I said, and is made up of roughly a dozen individual events I think.

Some future event chains will be more complex than with say, 3-4 different main branches, like a mini role playing adventure. It's limited by how much time I can put into one chain. In those ones, you will definitely find highly unexpected twists. It's all controlled with event cycles, flags and event chains. It's like a carrier flight deck... flags go up, flags go down, and things happen...

The Paradox game engine for events is quite flexible, at least enough to achieve this kind of thing.

In this X-files one, I want the player to get to the endings, so there's only one main path really with two options. But it's fun...

Alpha-02 soon, I'm just wrapping it up in the next few hours.

Cheers,
Pete

Alpha-02 is released

OK, yes the Alpha-02 is ready. I have opened a Premium Rapid Share account which you means you can download these with no fuss. Just click the links.

The Alpha is a complete installation, you do not need Alpha-01. It can go straight over the top of the earlier version as well.

Feature List and Versions

Fallout Mod Alpha-02

Fallout Mod Music Pack 02

The music pack 02 has 3 stirring classical songs for when you are at war. I am also going to upload the Music Pack 01 to my premium account so it's easier to get to. But it's 80MB so it will take a while.

Instructions are inside the zip file. Please read them before installation.

NOTE: The game does crash rarely. It seems to happen mainly in the first 1-3 years, then it seems to stabilise. I regularly save and I also set monthy autosaves. The crashing is rare though. You would usually get 1-2 crashes in the first few years.

Now download it, play and have fun! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Cheers,
Sword

Ok, thanks for answering. Btw. I've found some kind of bug - right after installation, in the fallout_mod/scenarios/save games folder there are some autosave files (autosave, oldautosave). When I tried to start the game, it crashed on the scenario select screen, saying that there is something wrong with autosave.eug. I have deleted those autosave files and that solved the problem. I have the latest version of Doomsday, without Armageddon.

Btw. I like this mod - good luck in developing it :)

News Update 18/08/2007 - Beta-01 Released!

Beta-01 of Fallout Mod has been released!

harold_1_small.gif
Well, some of you whippersnappers might have thought this mod had just upped and died. heh heh heh Youngsters! *cough, hack* Well, we've gone and released a brand spanking new Beta! And it's a beauty, with lots of good stuff in it! So if you like science fiction and you like strategy games, do yourselves a favour and check it out.

The mod is well on track to becoming a very polished and complete science fiction conversion for HOI2DD:A. In fact, even though this release is a Beta, it is very playable and already has a huge amount of custom content.

Key Features
- A complete new, sci-fi setting based on the Fallout role playing computer games.
- Complete new tech tree. Much of it with new graphics.
- Completely new interface. This includes all tech screens, load screens, main interface, new terrain and battle graphics, and custom skins for many nations. (Remaining nations will have custom skins added in Beta-02).
- Lots of fun event chains and random events.
- Four new races: Humans, Ghouls, Mutants, Robots, each with its own advantages, techs, units and disadvantages.
- Every nation is customised and playable.
- Completely new units and brigades with unique stats and graphics: land, sea and air.
- New graphics for all Land and Sea units. (Air units will have new graphics in Beta-02).
- New economic and province control model suiting the Post Apocalyptic background.
- Player welcome events explaining the game background, and further player welcome events for each playable nation.
- Custom AI. (This will be further refined in future releases.)
- Plenty of humorous pop culture references in the same light hearted spirit as the original games.
- New in-game sounds (used without permission, I am waiting for a reply to my PM to the creator).

Download location
Mutant_lieutenant_small.jpg
Indeed, I think you will find the Fallout Mod for HOI2DD:A quite... delectable. We mutants certainly recommend you download and play it. But don't think that would stop us conquering you. You see, we are clearly the next step in human evolution - homo superior if you will - and so is it not nature's way that the fittest should rise to assume dominance over the lesser species? Come, enter our mutation vats and become one of our brothers, and step into a greater world. You know it's for the best...

FODD Complete Change Log
FODD Beta-01

The above links are now direct downloads which means you do not need to create a RapidShare account to download the mod.

The links to the music packs are unchanged and already noted in this thread. I highly recommend the FODD music packs as they add a lot of atmosphere.

Note that all the custom audiovisual content in the mod is used without permission. If you are the copyright holder or know of the copyright holder then please contact me. I will gladly credit all contributors and shamelessly plug their websites and products.

Recommended Nations to Play With
The former USA is probably the easiest nation to play and is quite strong if you deal with the early rebellion of the Dark Cathedral.

You must at some stage play Enclave. These are one of the 'bad guys' of the mod and have a really fun event chain leading to secret techs.

New Reno has some nice character to it, but is somewhat hemmed in. Louisiana State will give you some nice challenges and they play differently as they are a Post Apocalyptic Tribal nation with funky secret techs.

I have a soft spot for Robots and they have the most unique graphics, units and techs in the mod.

Strategy Tips
It's long after the Bombs were dropped, so expect low infrastructure and a different kind of economy. Watch those support costs as units have a generally higher support cost.

I often build infrastructure in my nation as the default infrastructure is so crap.

You will find your economy has more IC than resources to drive it. Find the missing resources wherever you can get them. Mexico is a relatively powerful state in Fallout mod! You can usually trade with them for rares.

Future Plans
I aim to focus on a Technology review in Beta-02 which will tweak the current technologies to give them subcategories and improve play balance. They will all have new graphics. And all nations will have custom tech teams.

I also plan to provide some rough strategic dynamics by reviewing all nation set ups and setting the correct diplomacy and espionage that reflects the game background.

Leaders seriously need to be reviewed as their stats are way too high. Only special named characters will have lots of traits and higher skill ratings. I might try and squeeze that in to Beta-02 as well.

There's lots more to do. So many ideas and areas that will be worked on: AI for each nation, more events, some of the Pacific will be opened up for naval units and techs to be useful, minor non playable nations (Quebec, Caesar's Legion, Amazons, Vault 68, Diana), and more.

I picture a few Beta releases before the first full release, which will be supremely complete and playable.

Regular Updates
You can view our forum here: FODD Forum

Lots of new content is posted here: FODD AAR and here: FODD Graphics

I know this is more of a niche mod, but I hope you sci-fi buffs out there get as much enjoyment from it as I do.

Regards,
Sword

I will try it immediately. Great news, Doomtrader!

Edit: I have problem with the installation. Could you please post some better instructions? Those inside the download are not particularly clear...I have Doomsday 1.1.

Last edited:
I just can't figure it out. The game crashes but it is very intermittent. You can expect 2-3 crashes in the first few years, and then it should stabilise. I have checked quite a few areas in preparing Beta-01 but everything seems OK.

My hope is that eventually as each part of the mod is reviewed and polishes it will simply stop.

If it crashes consistently on that date you mention, then please let me know because that would be a new issue which I don't experience on my machine. Otherwise, I assume this is simply one of those random crashes.

Cheers,
Sword

Saulot333 said:
I will try it immediately. Great news, Doomtrader!

Edit: I have problem with the installation. Could you please post some better instructions? Those inside the download are not particularly clear...I have Doomsday 1.1.

Hi Saulot333,

Currently, the mod should work in Doomsday. But the mod will be only for Armageddon in the future, so now that Arma is patched I suggest you go and buy it. It's quite reasonably priced.

To summarise the installation:
- You basically make a copy of your whole Doomsday folder somewhere else.
- Make a new shortcut on your desktop that points to the HOI2.exe program in it's new location. Call that shortcut something like Fallout mod.
- You extract the zip file with Beta-01 to a temporary folder.
- Then 'cut and paste' everything you find inside the Doomsday folder of those extracted files into your newly made copy of the game. Say yes to overwrite existing files. This will copy the mod files into your new game folder.
- Then you run the no time limit crack file inside the new game folder which is called 'Parches Hoi2-dd.exe'. This removes the date limit from the HOI2.exe file.
- When you use the new desktop shortcut you made, this should start the mod!

Unfortunately, I can't make it an easier installation than that for a few reasons. One reason is that people put their games on their computer in different places. I install mine on my D: drive. But you could install it in a special folder on your E: drive for example.

Another reason is that unfortunately the mod-dir function of Paradox games is bugged and you can't properly run a mod from that. PI isn't ever going to fix this because I'm sure they think it's not worth the time. You can simply make a full copy of the game files and install a mod into that. And hard drives get larger every year so you have plenty of space to run multiple copies of their games.

Also, you need to be confident in working with folders, doing a 'cut and paste' and other basic Windows operations. There are lots of sites and training courses that can assist you if you are still learning how to work with Windows.

I hope you enjoy the mod if you can get it installed! Please PM me if you still have troubles.

Cheers,
Sword

Best mod so far.

Hey, I gotta say I'm very impressed with your progress. Gotta say this is a lot better then having 500 divisions rolling over maginot line :D

Ever thought of expanding across the rest of the world? Hehe, would add a lot more juicy RP. Gotta say that keep putting effort in writing events, that's what makes it more and more RPG.

Hmmm, no it should work. The mod does crash, but it's very rare. 1-3 times in the first 5 years.

Makes me think you have not installed it correctly. Did you follow the installation instructions very closely? You need to copy your entire Doomsday Armageddon folder to a new place, rename it, make a new shortcut on your desktop, extract the zip file into a temporary folder, go inside that temp folder and copy the correct files into your new game location.

Please give me some more information about the crash. Any error message? What exactly happens? Does it just crash when that time is reached? Are you doing anything in the game that triggers the crash? No error messages when you load the mod or when you load the scenario?

Cheers,
Sword