• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ouch, that's a wrench in the works. Let's hope you get a Personal Union (or even an Alliance) with somebody at least mildly powerful.

Close shave there. Good thing the Tatars went away.

bowl of soup - Not kinda nice king, but with some potential =)

PrawnStar - Rebels were almost defeated at that time - one regiment left them, but not for long:) "KUTGW!" - Sorry I have no idea what that means :confused:

Manziel
- Each scenario is quite possible, next update will tell ;)

Emperor Ike - Yes, I hope so.

Elias Tarfarius - Yes, kind of Ivan the Terrible, but would he succeed ?

canonized
- Well, time will tell. Conflict with Horde is again fight for life and death.

Jan Skrzetuski
- Heh, yeah treacherous villain-tyrant he is :D

Emperor_krk LoL, Thanks, new update soon :)

JimboIX - Stay tuned for next update :D About Ukraine I can tell you, that thanks to good relationships, I immediately created alliance with them.

NeoT - Uhh, I`m not sure if i will be colonizing, we will see. And yes Tatars are very annoying :mad:

Capt Janszoon Haha, yes maybe deep in his soul he is very nice guy ;)

UndertheSun
- Due to high badboy, almost all proposals are "impossible" :(

RGB - I was lucky that they accepted that proposal, few months later, and I would had to give them much more.

cthulhu
Patience sir, patience ;)

New update shalt be today, or tomorrow, and thanks to exchange project of canonized, he will enchance my AAR, by bonus narrative chapter written by him. I will make movie for his AAR. Check out his Timelines AAR- great narrative prose stuff.

And remember to vote in AARland choice awards Q1 2007!

If you think that my small AAR is worth voting, go ahead and vote for EU3 History-Book category

Uhh, Well :eek:o you got me, - it was common sense - he was traitorous man, that changed law to became despotic ruler. Well you can tell I cheated, but to my disadvantage, like during fall of Poland-Lithuania-Bohemia by king Henryk I. And not desired consequence of that, was mongol attack.

If you don't cheat things can go too smoothly.

This is an AAR, and the story is the most important thing. To "cheat" to get a better story, is perfectly okay for me.:)

You know, if I didn't know better- I'd begin to think you had something against Henrys.

Haha yeah.

"Oh look, it's a Henryk. Time of Troubles, coming up!"

KUTGW - Keep up the good work

Repeated LOL

I have yet to see the civilwar event happen in my games. It's a shame realy, on the other hand. they would be a pain if they happen to often. You did a good job. And as long as it keeps the storyline interesting you do whatever it takes.

Oops, that didn't work. Well, "curse of the Henryks" and console-calling and whatever, you've got a great alternate history going here. Hopefully Poland can become one of the great powers soon enough (and/or when you get to Victoria, one of the Great Powers. ;) )

RGB - Yes without cheating, I would have half of Europe by now:)

Nikolai - And I only cheat to my disadvantage :D

JimboIX
Heh, that`s just coincidence :D

PrawnStar Cheers mate, now i will remember that =)

einfall
- Indeed

Manziel - Surely ;)

bowl of soup - Oh thanks, well if i would "roleplay" and "cheat" everything without playing, it would be boring. So i only make things more difficult from time to time, sometimes even too difficult :)

Duke of Wellington
- Ahh honor to have you here Duke, I hope next chapter won`t hurt your feelings ;)

Judas Maccabeus - Cheers mate, well yes Poland is doomed to be Great Power in the future, but it`s quite unpredictable game.

Alright new update in few moments.

As i wrote before, my special guest canonized created bonus chapter, using his supernatural abilities of writing prose :) So now you will receive piece of higher art. In exchange i made battle video for his AAR.Go check out his narraitve AAR Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World?

Last edited:

HISTORY OF THE WHITE EAGLE

szczerbiecuh1.jpg

Henryk IV the Stern (Srogi)
1414 - 1422

HenrykIV.gif

Part II

At the beginning of year 1418, kingdom of Poland was weakened after lost war with Golden Horde. Ironically Henryk IV managed to restore order. His enemies decided to conclude informal case-fire agreement with king - now, main enemy was Horde.

Overconfident Ushtur Khan, was attacked from rear by his relatives from Timurid Empire, when he fought in Poland. It was said, that Timurids managed to create vast empire in previous years, in unknown far eastern lands beyond Persia. Now two eastern powers waged war, and Golden Horde began to loosing it. Timurids were using quite similar tactics, inherited from Mongol past, but their armies were more religious and ethnically coherent. Their vast forces were quickly advancing through Caspian steppes, and on spring 1418 they even captured rich capital city of Saraj.

TimurWar.gif

Ushtur Khan had to call for all men available, moving his armies from every corner of his vast empire. However, those troops were only guarantee of order in many provinces.

By July of 1418, Prince of Novgorod Vassil II, and Finnish ruler Yakko I met each other near Ladoga lake. Both monarchs signed alliance agreement, and decided to go through path showed by Poland 60 years ago - throw off mongol yoke by war.

Orthodox countries quickly destroyed sparse tatar forces, left in few major garrisons, and even began to besiege towns and castles beyond their borders. Successful campaigns of Finland and Novgorod, encouraged other vassals to fight for freedom against Khan. By the end of 1419, Yaroslav, Muscovy, Ryazan, Tver, Kurland, and Lithuania joined rebellion.

Rusrebel.gif

Thus started first serious crisis of Golden Horde, which stood as dominant power of eastern Europe for almost 150 years. Revolts were spreading like a wildfire, demoralized armies suffered defeat after defeat, in battles with Timurids. Ushtur Khan didn`t seem to realize seriousness of danger, that brooded above his empire.

At the beginning of year 1420 catholic Zaporozhie joined war, and on spring Golden Horde was attacked by Khanate of Sibir. By this way tatars were literally encircled by enemies.

At the same year in Sweden, which was by then cut off from Mongol lands, started massive uprising. Rebellion was joined by all social classes - nobles, townsfolk, and peasants. Tatar forces harassed by insurgents in wild forests and mountains retreated to Stockholm. But before they managed to enter the city, king Erik V, returning from banishment, waited for them upon the battlefield. In all day long battle of Stockholm in December of 1420, Swedes destroyed their occupiers.

SweRebels.gif

Meanwhile, king Henryk IV carefully studied all reports about situation in Horde, delivered by his spies. Despite peace agreement signed with Khan, he prepared to war for those three years. Every spare golden coin, was used in those preparations. His enemies seemed to forget old grudges, at least for now. Henryk knew that now God sent him, and his kingdom, chance to regain long lost glory and power. And Divine gifts are not supposed to be rejected. Thus right after winter of 1421, Polish armies joined Great Eastern War.

WojnyzHord.gif

Bulk of Polish armies marched into Volhynia, and started sieges of key towns and castles in region. Second, smaller force invaded Duchy of Mazovia. Duke Jan I was still loyal to Horde.

In few months Poles managed to conquer vast territories, without encountering any significant resistance. Overgrown Tatar Empire seemed to collapse under it`s own weight.

Orda-chaos.gif

Finally, at the beginning of year 1422, Henryk signed peace treaty with enemy. His armies couldn`t continue war on such huge, open territories. Duke of Mazovia became king`s vassal, and gave back city of Plock. From mongols, three provinces were liberated - Polish Volhynia and Polesie, and rich Ruthenian city of Kiev.

Pokjzajebisty.gif

DrugiPokjZajebisty.gif

Now Henryk began to make plans about further campaigns, he knew that he could achieve even bigger successes. He desired more glory and power. However, Henryk IV the Stern died in unclear circumstances at the end of the year...

Deeds:

- Loss of Osterprussen
- Introduction of Despotic Monarchy
- Conquests of Polesie, Volhynia and Kiev
- Vassalization of Mazovia
- Loss of vassal - duchy of Ukraine

Map of Poland at start and end of his reign:

mapa-10.gif

# Land at start
# Land at end
# Country borders at end

Last edited:

hubris.gif

Henryk glanced around his palatial room with a calm gaze of a surveyor. His demeanor was only interrupted by an intermittent trembling of his lower lip. Despite his objective inspection, he could not help but imagine the vastness of wealth and power that he now inherited from his dead kinsman Bezprym.

The master bedroom he appraised was decorated by tapestries from as far to the East as Persia and by a bed writhing in its own interplay of gold and wood. The lamps could barely illuminate the dozens of ornamentals and sacramentals strewn across the room from ivory pressed emblems of the White Eagle of Lech, to a gold pressed icon of Our Lady.

But it was not for these expensive and priceless items that Henryk now nearly trembled in anticipation. Of all the possessions his kinsman had, none were as beautiful as the lady Bezprym had wed. Oh yes, it was the widow Maria who now stood waiting outside of the bedroom door for whom Henryk thought of most.

Perhaps it was her relative youth, or perhaps it was her grace and grandeur. Maria had been a force of moderation in her own life; she had eaten only enough to maintain her busy schedule and as such her entire frame was accentuated by a cunning curvature. Even in her studded regal dresses, the parts that stood out about her were the moistness of her skin and the supple pucker of her lips.

For Henryk, attaining her had been the hardest. Maria had mourned long for the death of her husband. So much so that it was obvious she had not found out about Bezprym’s adulterous relationship with Helena Lis. Of course, Henryk did not tell her right away; to do so would make him seem like a villain! Oh no, he had waited patiently courting the younger lady until this point where she now awaited outside his bed chamber in the middle of the night when no one else could discover their lustful fornication. Henryk held his fists tightly in glee.

Tonight would be the night. He would finally tell Maria about Helena and, as Henryk so expertly planned, will console her into his bed and claim her for his own. That’s right; he had summoned her to his bedchamber to tell her a grave secret. She does not know that such a devious trap awaited her to enter his sheets.

The soft knock signaled Henryk from the door.

“Come in,” Henryk called out and, after a second’s pause, the large chamber door slid open just enough to admit Maria within before closing behind her.

In the lamplight of that late hour, the widow shone with the pale beauty of the moon accentuated by a beauty mark directly beneath her right eye. She gave the normal courteous bow to Henryk who approached her.

“Thank you for coming, dear Lady Maria,” Henryk began attempting to sound as magnanimous as possible and leading that lady to a seat near his bed.

“It was by my King’s command that I come, your Highness, how may I be of service?”

Henryk allowed her to seat herself before he took a similar position across the side table. He let a moment pass as his eyes were fixed upon her visage. Although Lady Maria kept her eyes to the ground, Henryk was all the more captivated by her docile nature.

“As I said earlier when I told you to come here, I have some news that I believe you should know pertaining to our most notable kinsman and your dead husband Bezprym.”

For a moment Maria raised her eyes to meet Henryk’s gaze but quickly pressed them to a lower view again to hide her slight surprise.

“Yes… my former husband…” Maria intoned almost gloomily. Henryk quickly followed her lugubrious gesture to appear just as saddened over the death. He was playing his part perfectly.

“May… I have a drink, your Highness?” Maria softly asked as her hands rubbed each other. Henryk noticed how the poor girl seemed on the verge of tears, but wine would be a great idea both to calm her and to hopefully strip away some of her inhibitions for later. He hid his grin behind a veneer of a consoling frown.

“Of course,” he said slowly.

Maria walked over to the table where drinks were kept always for His Majesty’s thirst. Her movements were not at all dainty unlike the younger women of the court. Maria had the kind of movement that was indeed fit for a more mature kind of woman. Henryk noticed his breathing accelerating just watching her move.

Maria returned to the table bringing along a tray and giving Henryk a somber smile. Two cups were present and in all his celebration Henryk suddenly realized the danger of wine given by a woman. After all, this was the method by which his kinsman was so wonderfully dispatched. For a brief while, uncertainty and suspicion clouded his mind and the entire evening was on the verge of catastrophic failure. His heart pumped now not for the beauty of the woman sitting across from him on the small table but for the contents of the cups.

“I would like for us to share a drink,” Maria interrupted. Henryk almost foolishly looked up to her with surprise before she continued saying, “you have been so kind to me, good cousin, and I wanted to commemorate it with a drink.”

At that, Maria almost coyly took up one of the cups and sipped it allowing the ethereal feeling of alcohol to slide down her throat. After what seemed like a short sigh she handed the cup she had drunk from to Henryk.

What a coup! Henryk thought. No complications after all if she tasted from the same cup. He eagerly took the drink and took a sip himself. With that woman looking at him with a happy smile, it was now time for him to temporarily ruin that expression only to reap the rewards with consolations later.

“My dearest Maria, I hate to tell you the news but—”

At that point, Henryk’s throat contracted violently. He gasped with a shocking inhale against the walls of his windpipe. He grabbed hold of his throat and looked with a terrible expression at Maria who now had stood up and walked in front of him.

“As you gasp for air, pig,” Maria began with a tone as incensed as a growl of a wolf, “I too came here to tell you about my husband. My murdered husband!”

As Maria’s expression began to madden, Henryk looked to the cup of which they both had drunk with great regret and confusion as he harped for breath.

“Oh this?” Maria taunted spilling the remainder of the wine cup onto Henryk’s lap, “I bet you thought it was safe to drink it after I did, you stupid pig. But yes I did poison it. I rubbed a little off my finger onto the inside of the cup just above the wine. When I drank it, it was just wine, but when you drank it, you lecherous swine, the wine passed over the inside of the cup where I smudged your poison.”

Henryk was already tearing up and turning a terrible shade of red as his capillaries began to burst open. With his hands still on his throat attempting to insert air into his lungs, he convulsed almost wildly on his chair and his head shook left and right rapidly.

“Oh yes, my faithful, loving husband murdered and I know it was you behind all of it!” Maria cried out.

No, Henryk thought, if only he had told her about Helena sooner, if only—

Before his thoughts could finish, Maria jabbed a blade into the side of his throat. Henryk made no sound except the last gasping squeal of a hog being bled before roasting. As that crazed body came to a resting halt, Maria stood with a pant in her breath. Her “faithful” and “loving” husband had now been avenged.

______________________​
by canonized​

Thank you again canonized for such great sample of your talent.
Canonized created kind of alternative-alternative history, or story in a story - it is very interesting, entertaining and absorbing work, one of MustRead. If someone like me, with poor english is reading narrative AAR, then it really must be good one. Besides great prose, canonized is quite active forum member - his another excellent idea is interview with various writAARs, discussing many topics of writing craft, and exchange project, started by this bonus chapter, and movie I made, for his AAR.

Go check out his alternative-alternative history, narraitve AAR Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World?

Last edited:
And the Tatars finally get what's coming to them.

Awesome. Now's your chance...

--------

EDIT: So Henryk died? I just read the guest chapter....

Last edited: