• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(2619)

First Lieutenant
Apr 3, 2001
Visit site
I didn't understand if AI files still exists but they are empty or if it totally impossible to mod different AI for each country. At beginning I understood it was possible to add AI, but lately reading areound the forum I understood that this feature was completly removed byt the game. If this is true, IMO is the biggest downgrade of EU3 respect EU2. This limits a lot the game and make it just another "strategic game", erasing the core historical appealing much more than the missing historical events.
If this is true it comes clear the path choosen by Paradox is not mine and I will not be more a supporter of Paradox, I don't think I will pre-order or buy again their games the first day of the release.
Is it true? AI is not moddable? Much more moddable thay said... mmmm if AI is not moddable who can care about modding the wearing of the soldiers.....

Last edited:
Let's not get carried away, obviously the game has to have some AI files. I assume you're talking about the individually tailored National AI's, which it would be a shame to lose. (Wish I had the game so I could check it out myself).

There are no individually moddable ai files in EU3 like there were in EU2.

So if this is an offical statemenet. RIP for EU3
Ora pro nobis, ora pro nobis, ora pro nobis

bye bye Paradox

MacGregor said:
So China acts like Brandenburg acts like Congolese?
Are these countries in the same situation? ;)

The AI is dynamic, like the game.

it reacts to the specific circumstances the nation is in, and adapts to new situations more dynamically.

This make the AI much more competitive...it does whatever the best for it´s nation at the time (or, what it thinks is best).

lenny said:
Are these countries in the same situation? ;)

That's not the question. We are talking about inate national tendancies molded by history prior to 1453 CE. It seems to me to leave those tendancies out is to leave out a lot. We may as well be playing Civilizaion, which can be fun, but not what I came to Paradox for.

MacGregor said:
That's not the question. We are talking about inate national tendancies molded by history prior to 1453 CE. It seems to me to leave those tendancies out is to leave out a lot. We may as well be playing Civilizaion, which can be fun, but not what I came to Paradox for.

Well you do start your nation with specific historical properties already. National ideas, sliders, etcetera. It's just that slowly, over the course of the game, these properties or tendencies as you call them may change. Fixed AI files would not allow this gradual change.

MacGregor said:
The history prior to 1453 is reflected by the starting set-up and for later dates, changes to the starting setup are given in the history files. (Which is quite unlike Civ, at least 1 to 3 as I haven't played 4, where everyone starts out in the same situation.) After that, as Tracid say, the AI takes over and manages the country to its best ability.

lenny said:
The history prior to 1453 is reflected by the starting set-up and for later dates, changes to the starting setup are given in the history files. (Which is quite unlike Civ, at least 1 to 3 as I haven't played 4, where everyone starts out in the same situation.) After that, as Tracid say, the AI takes over and manages the country to its best ability.

Sure... making congo merchants challenge the Flandres COT, or making Venice colonizing north america, going against centuries of his history that made Venice always thrown toward orient.
Before history was a core feature, now history it is just a pretext to how compose the initial map

Depaz said:
or making Venice colonizing north america, going against centuries of his history that made Venice always thrown toward orient.
That's a bit silly. It's not like any country were really bothering with the Americans before they knew it existed, which is around when the game starts. Who's to say the Venetians wouldn't decide that colonizing America wasn't a good idea?

maartos said:
Well you do start your nation with specific historical properties already. National ideas, sliders, etcetera. It's just that slowly, over the course of the game, these properties or tendencies as you call them may change. Fixed AI files would not allow this gradual change.

That makes me feel a little better. Tough talking about a game you don't have yet. ;)

lenny said:

Hmmm, kind of like dropping mass produced MBA graduates into wildly different business situations instead of hiring from within. ;)

I’ve played a grand campaign till 1584, and it feels like CIV, and I hate it!!

Spain colonizing N-America, France leaving the minor Frence countries alone and conquering Z-Germany and N-Italy, and so on…….. :mad:

I think I’m going to uninstall…… what is disappointment and a waste of my money……. :mad:

Radbod

Nimic said:
That's a bit silly. It's not like any country were really bothering with the Americans before they knew it existed, which is around when the game starts. Who's to say the Venetians wouldn't decide that colonizing America wasn't a good idea?

Because expansion to the new world in great scale was IRL exclusive to Atlantic nations. Venice did certainly have a naval tradition, but that was within the mediterranean and I find it hard to imagine they would start sailing out through Gibraltar to conquer the Aztecs.

Nimic said:
Who's to say the Venetians wouldn't decide that colonizing America wasn't a good idea?

Centuries of history, economics dynamics, technology reasons, political dynamics, demographics reasons and also religious reasons (for exemple Venice had his own inquisition and religious courts to be more autonome respect to the papacy and Venetia was well known to be tolerant so instead of distribute settlers around the world, Venetia many time welcomed them). We can find tons of reasons that prevent Venece to go in America. Venetian doges of XVI knew perfectly about the existence of the new world, cause the informations circulated well between the european and also middle east elites. They knew but they never tried, cause it was an impossible historical path for Venice. And similar discour can be done for each country: in each period not all historical routes were opened neitehr for all countries nor for all social classes.

MacGregor said:

Really, IMO the new system is way better than the old, or rather, has the potential to be as it needs a few patches first. (Like someone mentioned in another thread there was an example in 1.0 where the Swiss colonized Africa.) If Navarra somehow conquered the Iberian peninsula early on in EU2 it was bye bye with Iberia as a centre of colonization. The idea is that in EU3 Navarra will adapt to its new possibilites and potentially become a new colonizer to replace what Spain would have been.

It's not just about the AI files. It's about the events also. I much prefer when the actual game "simulation" causes thing to go in a somewhat historical path, but still gives logical results whenever things start to turn ahistorical. Rather than having inflexible "historical" events go about and make less sense for every year in the game played.

The AI will now be much more challenging strategically. (But tactically it's a retard as of 1.1, I was racking up 50% warscore as Bavaria vs Austria because Austria kept sending in 2000 men armies vs. my 10000 men army.)

Last edited:
Really Bad Sit

Radbod said:
I’ve played a grand campaign till 1584, and it feels like CIV, and I hate it!!

Spain colonizing N-America, France leaving the minor Frence countries alone and conquering Z-Germany and N-Italy, and so on…….. :mad:

I think I’m going to uninstall…… what is disappointment and a waste of my money……. :mad:

Radbod
IT S LIKE RISIKO, I M GOING TO DISINSTALL TO, I M REALLY DISSAPPOINTED, AND I FEEL BETRAYED BY PARADOX. I WAIT THIS GAME IMPATIENT, BUT NOW I THINK I M GOING TO PLAY HOI2 OR SOMETHING SIMILAR, I M SURE THAT PARADOX MAKE A REALLY BIG MISTAKE, AND I HOPE THE TRY TO CORRECT IT SUDDENLY IF NOT THEY WILL LOOSE MY SUPPORT (MORAL AND ECONOMICAL)