• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Peace with the Pieces
January 5, 1939
Moscow, Russia

"My Tsar, I have an idea of what to do about Mongolia."

"Really? Speak, Marshal, I listen to all ideas."

"I believe that a peace with the Mongolians would be the best move to make at this point."

"Anton, we do not yet control all of Mongolia. We cannot annex them. Unless you mean something less than total victory?"

"Yes, Vladimir. I think that the time is not right for outright annexation. I propose that we take the land we have claimed from Mongolia, and install a puppet government. They have no choice but to accept."

"I will think on it. Anton, you must understand that, when the time comes, we must be able to quickly pull them back into the Empire."

The following is an exert from Nation and Faith: The Russian Expansionist Wars of 1938 by A. Tchaikovsky:

. . . on all fronts. The Imperial Russian Army was proving its mettle, showing that it could handle the armies of Turkestan, Mongolia, and the Don-Kuban Union (see Fig.1). When all of the armies were counted, the Russians were fighting roughly enemy one division for every division they committed to the wars. One on one, the Russians advanced, showing that this was not the Russian army of wars past. The Tsar and the Marshal committed only as many men as was necessary. Their attempts paid off, with advancing armies on all fronts.

ATR-5thCentralAsianWar1.jpg

Fig.1​

On December 15, 1938, the Don-Kuban Union was annexed by the Russian Empire (see Fig. 2). Most of the Union, and its Georgian holdings, were ceded to Russia, but some areas of Georgia and the Union were annexed by Azerbaijan, which had captured them earlier in the war.

ATR-5thCentralAsianWar2.jpg

Fig. 2​

On January 1, 1939, Turkestan followed the Don-Kuban's lead, and finally gave in to the Russian Empire (see Fig. 3).

ATR-5thCentralAsianWar3.jpg

Fig. 3​

The next day was a busy day (see Fig. 4). The Ukraine, like so many other countries, outlawed religious groups in an attempt to strike at Orthodox Faith and Nation groups. Russia announced protection over eastern Ukraine in response. Russia, later that day, announced its Cacaus policy, claiming Azerbaijan as part of the "historic Russian Empire". Azerbaijan was insulted, and Armenia worried that they would be next.

ATR-5thCentralAsianWar4.jpg

Fig. 4​

On the 10th, the Russian Empire ceased to be in a state of war (see Fig. 5) with the signing of a peace treaty with Mongolia. Mongolia was not annexed, but large tracts of land were ceded to Russia, and a more pro-Russian government was put into place. Mongolia was allowed to keep what was left of their army, and the next month it entered an alliance with Russia, as most Mongolians thought that the war proved their inability to defend themselves. This line of thinking is what would later make most Mongolians believe that. . .

ATR-5thCentralAsianWar5.jpg

Fig. 5​

A little moment of restraint - almost.

What about Armenia, they aren't the nicest of people.

GeneralHannibal said:
What about Armenia, they aren't the nicest of people.
Time to conquer everything! :D

soonerborn0524 said:
Right now I face the dilemma of which to conquer first. :D

Oh, and my belligerence is crazy, almost 300. So I have to be careful to keep Japan, Poland, and the Brits from all DoWing me at the same time.

Thats qute a dilema you got their :p But I am im certain that the faith in the tzar and the Otorodox faith will make the ordenary slavic otorodox soldier invincible!

Yeah, high belligerence is one thing I've noticed since I started palying ATR. I've got over 50 already and all that I've done is retake the Tran-Siberian railroad!

A Little Moment of Restraint​
March 10, 1939
Moscow, Russia

"No, Denikin."

"My Tsar, I think that you are making a mistake."

"And I do not trust the Japanese."

"Vladimir, they offer an alliance. An alliance!"

"What they offer is to draw us into wars before we are ready. Right now, China. Who next? Britain? France? The United States? We are not ready yet."

"War with the Allies is inevitable, Vladimir."

"And when it comes, we will show no restraint. Until then, we must wait."

The following is an exert from Between Russia's Wars: January 10th through April Twenty Fourth, 1939 by D. Gaffsey:

. . . an eventful day. On that day, Tsar Vladimir I proclaimed to a cheering crowd that the Trans-Siberian Railroad was now completely in Russian hands (see Fig. 1). He formed the Trans-Siberian Rail Company, a group of the finest minds in buisness, managment, and engineering, to control the rail line. Later that day, the true intentions of the Russian Empire were shown. When the religious Orthodox nation of Bulgaria proposed an alliance between the two countries, Russia declined, and claimed Bulgaria for itself. Many historians have wondered why the Tsar did this, but he was quoted saying that his reason for this had something to do with "pretty borders".

ATR-19391.jpg

Fig. 1​

In Transamur, the revival of the Trans-Siberian Rail Company, and Russian control of the railline, put the power-holding capitalists into more contact with the great Russian cities (and markets) of Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Tsaritsyn (see Fig. 2). They began secret talks with the Russians, over the head of the leader of Transamur, Kolchak. When the Tsar made a powerful speach about how the Transamur must be reunited with their fellow Russians, public support for Kolchak plummeted. With Japan already in the (unsuccessful) talks to enter an alliance with Russia, Kolchak had no support from anywhere. Russian troops moved into Amur, then the Vladivostock, unchallenged. Kolchak asked the Tsar to allow him to "bridge the gap" between the two countries by being the Prime Minister, replacing Denikin. Vladimir I had him tried for treason and executed as Transamur was incorprated into the Russian Empire without a fight.

ATR-19392.jpg

Fig. 2​

As the Sino-Japanese War continued to be fought, the Japanese were in an increasingly bigger mess, with a large amount of partisians and continued fighting against the Nationalist and Communist Chinese. While Japan showed interest in an alliance with Russia, the Tsar said no, and used the opportunity to claim Central China and Mongolia (he was certain that pressure on his Mongolian puppet would bring it into Russia) (see Fig. 3).

ATR-19393.jpg

Fig. 3​

Having aquired Vladivostock, the Imperial Russian Navy began converting ships in the harbor for its use (see Fig. 4). The ships were mostly former Transamur military vessals, but some were civilian ships. One tanker was converted into the IRN's first aircraft carrier, giving the IRN Pacific Fleet offensive power for the first time.

ATR-19394.jpg

Fig. 4​

Russia's continued belligerent actions did not please all. On April 24, 1939, France declared war on the Russian Empire (see Fig. 5). The United Kingdom soon followed, as did many others. It would be the Russian Empire's first major war. Tsar Vladimir I made sure that it would not be its last. The war was interesting because. . .

ATR-19395.jpg

Fig. 5​

Oh my oh my oh my.

The world just went mad.

Could we please in the next update have a general world overview / overview of Russia? I confess I am beginning to loose track.

This is going to be fun. Especially as Germany hasn't got into it yet. I propose a Russo-German alliance be made when they do - which should last untill you're ready to backstab them of course.

On the other hand this opening stage in the war may be quiet - not much of a common border after all. Maybe you should change that by going through Afghanistan into India. Or maybe not. That Tsar seems to be the cautious sort.

You should begin an offensive into the Orthodox countries, and then Afghanistan.

I say coup Germany, and bring back the Kaiser!

Excellent idea. I concur.

GeneralHannibal said:
You should begin an offensive into the Orthodox countries, and then Afghanistan.
Yes! Bridge the gap. :D

Interesting indeed! I wonder what possessed the French to do that? :confused:

Feedback time.

stnylan said:
Could we please in the next update have a general world overview / overview of Russia? I confess I am beginning to loose track.
My next update is already planned out, but I can find time after that to do an update on the world.

Timotheos said:
That Tsar seems to be the cautious sort.
Not at all. He just realizes that an alliance would not be a good idea for Russia at this point.

VILenin said:
Interesting indeed! I wonder what possessed the French to do that? :confused:
My belligerence was crazy; everytime I did something it would shoot up. They DoWed me, I reloaded; they DoWed me, I reloaded; I did it like five times before I just gave up and accepted it.

And to everyone else: I have it all planned out, and I know how I will deal with this French/British threat. All will be explained in time.

The Allies and the Azeris​
May 16, 1939
Moscow, Russia

"My Tsar, I think we must prepare for Allied landings from the North Sea and St. Petersburg. Possibly from the Pacific, too."

"We already have, Anton. We have a fairly modern submarine fleet patrolling the North Sea, as well our older sub fleet, we have the St. Petersburg fleet right outside of the city, and we have our shiny new carrier sinking convoys off French Indochina."

"Will that be enough?"

"It does not matter. The French do not want to fight the war. They are more worried about Germany, and possibly even Poland. They are more immediate threats."

"We will not take offensive action?"

"Ah, Anton, who ever said that? However, we cannot at the moment. The Imperial Russian Navy is good enough to keep the Allies away, but we cannot seriously consider attacking them from the sea. Unless you have Vlasov working on a way to march to London and Paris underwater, we will wait for now. I have other plans."

The following is an exert from Black Gold: The Allies-Russia War by D. Gaffsey:

. . . continued, but little action took place for the first six months of the war. In France and the United Kingdom, the newspapers called it the "phony" war. France sent a carrier fleet out to patrol the North Sea, but other than a few skirmishes with the IRN North Sea Fleet, this did almost nothing. Tsar Vladimir sent his new carrier group based out of the Pacific to patrol around the coast of French Indochina, British Malaysia, and near the neutral Dutch East Indies, where it went to work hunting down lightly defended convoys. Vladimir admitted that this was barely worth the effort, but maintain that the experience that the carrier and its admiral would gain would be necessary at some point in the future.

In the meantime, Romanov realized the fact that he was at war with a major power, and that the situation that he had been trying to avoid was at last upon him. He used the opportunity to declare war upon Azerbaijan (see Fig. 1), a country which he had already claimed, and held parts of Russian Georgia and the former Don-Kuban Union.

ATR-AlliesWar1.jpg

Fig. 1​

Over the next three months, the Imperial Russian Army quickly pushed the Azeri army back into a corner (see Fig. 2). Only Baku was under Azerbaijan's control, but it was heavily fortified, and most of the Azeri army remained, as there was little room for the Russians to cut off and destroy it.

ATR-AlliesWar2.jpg

Fig. 2​

The Azeris lasted long, but, in the end, they never really stood a chance. On August 16, Russian troops entered Baku, and the next day Azerbaijan was annexed into the Russian Empire (see Fig. 3). This was important for two reasons: it gave Russia control of a large oil source, meaning that Russia had more economic might than before, and it gave the Russians a second border on Persia, which Russia had sought after for a long time, for many reasons.

ATR-AlliesWar3.jpg

Fig. 3​

On September 1, 1939, over a border dispute, Germany declared war on Poland, as well as her Ukrainian and Czechoslovakian puppets. Germany quickly made gains, and the rest of the world looked at the war uncomfortably. The Allies, already at war with Russia, did nothing. Russia did not want the Germans to control the Ukraine and Belorussia, which it had announced protection over. The Tsar decided that he must take action, and he did. . .

ATR-AlliesWar4.jpg

Fig. 4​

So you are DoWing Poland as well?

Stnylan: I do not have the time and I am too far into the war to give you good screenshots, so this will have to be verbal.

In Europe, I have cores over Belorus, the Eastern Ukraine, Bulgaria, Romania, Greece, and Serbia. Poland is in an alliance with the Ukraine and Czechoslovakia, and is (obviously) in a war with Germany. Oddly, the Allies are still at peace with Germany, but then again they are at war with me, so that might be an important factor in that.

In Cacausia and Central Asia, I have control over former Turkestan, the Kazakh Republic, the Don-Kuban Union, Georgia, and now Azerbaijan. I have gotten all of my cores in this region to 'join' the Russian Empire.

I also have cores in China, on Sinkiang (now part of Nationalist China), Mongolia, and Xiben San Ma, or whatever it is called. Whenever I want to, I will force Mongolia to give me their territory, but Japan is roughly 3-6 months from total victory in China, so any of the other cores I have will be gained through a war with Japan.

The US is still asleep.

I hope that this answers your question.

GeneralHannibal: I have no idea what you mean. ;)

Last edited: